PDA

View Full Version : I ALWYS go to FAILURE!!!! is that bad?

small2big
04-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Ok, ive been seeing alot more article saying that going to failure everyset isnt neccasary! I usually do this for bench, I keep the weight the same every set and get less reps each time since I got to failure each set.

225x10
225x8
225x6
225x4

But, should I just go to failure on the last set??? what would that look like?

Koubs
04-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Hey bud, If you are going to absolute failure (Like you obviously are by the looks of your bench workout), I would recommend ONE or maybe 2 sets to failure per exercise... DEFINITELY not 4 sets like you're doing, that's too much...

Bench was my 1st exercise last week... Here's how a typical chest workout would go for me...
135 X 12 (warm-up, NOT to failure)
205 X 9 (warm-up, NOT to failure)
275 X 6 (warm-up, NOT to failure)
315 X 3-4 (warm-up, NOT to failure)
THEN 365 X 7-8 reps (UNTIL FAILURE)
365 X 6 reps (UNTIL FAILURE)

So you could see that I progressively add weight to get acclimated to the heavier weights, but I don't take them near failure.. Only those last 2 sets...

Then I'll do 2 more exercises and I DON'T do any warm-up sets because my chest is already 'warmed up'... 2 sets of each of those exercises and then call it a day for 6 total WORK SETS...

JAR OF NATTY
04-28-2009, 04:47 PM
^^ yeah, i only go to failure for 2 sets. but on every excericse i do, or ill do a big ol drop set, which is ussually for machine flys or any cable excercise casue you can just take the pin out of the plate move it up and keep going. but with most free weight excercises, i do two sets to failure

small2big
04-28-2009, 05:59 PM
Hey bud, If you are going to absolute failure (Like you obviously are by the looks of your bench workout), I would recommend ONE or maybe 2 sets to failure per exercise... DEFINITELY not 4 sets like you're doing, that's too much...

Bench was my 1st exercise last week... Here's how a typical chest workout would go for me...

So you could see that I progressively add weight to get acclimated to the heavier weights, but I don't take them near failure.. Only those last 2 sets...

Then I'll do 2 more exercises and I DON'T do any warm-up sets because my chest is already 'warmed up'... 2 sets of each of those exercises and then call it a day for 6 total WORK SETS...

Heres my complete CHEST workout, i do all sets to failure! what should i do diferently?

Its a 3x a week split hitting each muscle 1x a week, besides bis and tris, they get a "heavy" day and a "light" day. That why I do chest and bis vs chest and tris.

*****MONDAY=Chest/Bis
Bench 3x6-12 maybe a drop set of light weight for a bunch of reps
Incline 3x6-12
Flies 3x8-15
Dips 3x amap
BB curls 3x6-12
Hammers 3x6-12
Preachers 3x6-12

*****WEDNESDAY=Legs/Shoulders
Squat 3x6-12
Lunges 3x 15 steps
Leg Curls 3x6-12
Miltiary seated Press 4x6-12
Lat Raises 3x8-15
Cable Uprights 3x6-12

*****FRIDAY=Back/Tris
Deads 4x6-12
Rows 3x6-12
Uprights 3x6-12
LatpullDowns 3x6-12
Cable Pulldowns 3x6-12
Rope overhead pulls 3x6-12
DIPS AGAIN?????

NTT91
04-28-2009, 06:38 PM
I always go to failure. I dont feel like I'm working unless i do. With that said I've gone from 135 pounds to 170 with taking all sets to failure in the past year.

Sliced N Diced
04-28-2009, 08:43 PM
For me to grow I must go to failure...

small2big
04-28-2009, 09:03 PM
I always go to failure. I dont feel like I'm working unless i do. With that said I've gone from 135 pounds to 170 with taking all sets to failure in the past year.

dam man! see what i mean! so many opinions! haha, i know "different strokes for different folks" an all but sheesh!

Youngguns
04-28-2009, 09:04 PM
I rarely ever do. If you go to failure this time, how can you progress next time?

small2big
04-28-2009, 09:15 PM
I rarely ever do. If you go to failure this time, how can you progress next time?

well, they say to try to add a bit each workout??

Koubs
04-29-2009, 12:15 AM
Heres my complete CHEST workout, i do all sets to failure! what should i do diferently?

Its a 3x a week split hitting each muscle 1x a week, besides bis and tris, they get a "heavy" day and a "light" day. That why I do chest and bis vs chest and tris.

*****MONDAY=Chest/Bis
Bench 3x6-12 maybe a drop set of light weight for a bunch of reps
Incline 3x6-12
Flies 3x8-15
Dips 3x amap
BB curls 3x6-12
Hammers 3x6-12
Preachers 3x6-12

*****WEDNESDAY=Legs/Shoulders
Squat 3x6-12
Lunges 3x 15 steps
Leg Curls 3x6-12
Miltiary seated Press 4x6-12
Lat Raises 3x8-15
Cable Uprights 3x6-12

*****FRIDAY=Back/Tris
Deads 4x6-12
Rows 3x6-12
Uprights 3x6-12
LatpullDowns 3x6-12
Cable Pulldowns 3x6-12
Rope overhead pulls 3x6-12
DIPS AGAIN?????

12 sets for chest with ALL sets taken to failure is too much in my opinion... My suggestion would be to do TWO feel sets (warm-ups, increasing the weight each time...) and then ONE-TWO work sets.... If you write your weights and reps down, then your GOAL is to beat either the amount of weight or the amount of reps next workout... It's much more likely that you can beat your previous lifts for one or two sets, but when your talking 3-4 sets for an exercise, you're just hindering recovery bro

small2big
04-29-2009, 09:38 AM
12 sets for chest with ALL sets taken to failure is too much in my opinion... My suggestion would be to do TWO feel sets (warm-ups, increasing the weight each time...) and then ONE-TWO work sets.... If you write your weights and reps down, then your GOAL is to beat either the amount of weight or the amount of reps next workout... It's much more likely that you can beat your previous lifts for one or two sets, but when your talking 3-4 sets for an exercise, you're just hindering recovery bro

Ok, yea, I do always log every lift. So, you saying I could go to failure on the last 1 or 2 sets on all the lifts, correct?

ChunkyThunder
05-04-2009, 12:23 AM

I go to failure every workout and base my progress off of my first work set. For example 2 weeks ago on DB flat bench I used the 100's for 6 reps, and last week I did the 100's for 8. When I hit 8 reps I move up to the next set of DB's. So tomorrow I will go in and my first work set will be with the 110's and I should get 4-5 reps, when I progress to 8 reps I will move up to the 120's etc

This seems to be working for me right now

nutratroy
05-04-2009, 12:28 AM

Solid advice Koubs!

I would also plug in that as a natty, if you did or do go to absolute failure on so many sets, you better place max effort into your RECOVERY! If your sore and not making strength gains, your falling short of your goals.

ChunkyThunder
05-04-2009, 12:45 AM
Solid advice Koubs!

I would also plug in that as a natty, if you did or do go to absolute failure on so many sets, you better place max effort into your RECOVERY! If your sore and not making strength gains, your falling short of your goals.

Absolutely! as soon as I stop progressing I will change things up.

Bork
05-18-2009, 03:08 AM
As a 100% natural I wouldn't go to all failure in all exercises. However I don't see anything wrong with going to failure in the last exercise for that muscle group.

Ross Erstling
07-09-2009, 05:55 PM
People overestimate the occurrence of Over-training. You are much more likely to UNDER-TRAIN than you are to OVER-TRAIN.

As an all-natural lifter, take each of your 20 sets for chest to failure. Trust me, if you want to gain optimally, take your body to the max. So long as you eat and rest sufficiently, you will not over-train.

As a natural bodybuilder, I was doing 25 sets for chest, at which point I was 190lbs, 7%BF, 5''11, 21 years old. Now, being chemically enhanced, I am doing around 40 sets for chest and I am 230lbs, 7%BF. TAKE IT TO THE MAX!:cool:

suresh599
07-11-2009, 08:06 AM
http://4idiotsfatloss.blogspot.com/

i can't get it what is your problem rite now ??

perhaps it may problem with your fat you should draw your fat in body

To my help is just you loss 9lbs in every 11 days to using this one

just I'm also failed as like you but after using this fat loss product i had became fitness among all of them .

Here is my true story

suresh599
07-11-2009, 08:08 AM

just I'm also failed as like you but after using this fat loss product i had became fitness among all of them .

Here is my true story

suresh599
07-11-2009, 08:10 AM

No more failure while using this fat loss product

Here is my true story