PDA

View Full Version : Front Squats

Envirolover
04-28-2009, 02:05 PM
I just started incorperating front squats into my routine after exclusively using back squats. I gotta say I dont like the front squat. I use the olympic style for holding the bar and still feels real uncomfortable.

Is there any real advantage to front squats over back squats because I am not seeing it thus far?

Frosty
04-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Yes there are benefits to front squats. You just have to deal with the discomfort for a while and your body will get used to it. When I start front squats again I end up all bruised up on my upper chest and my shoulders sore, but it goes away.

Front squats as deep as you can go are great if you are flexible enough.

Formula94
04-28-2009, 10:19 PM
They really target the quads more than hams and glutes. You can try doing them on Smith machine til you get comfortable with the lift.

anthony1992
04-29-2009, 06:51 PM
I like doing my front squats on the smith machine, i think it works the quads really good

Envirolover
04-29-2009, 07:26 PM
I know they do hit your quads harder but do you guys think they are overall a better exercise then a back squat? I have been doing some reading and some authors seem to think front squats are better much to my surprise.

MusclesMarinara
04-29-2009, 07:58 PM
I do front squats on the smith machine as well too, going as deep as possible.

thepump
04-29-2009, 08:31 PM
As was already put, it's not whether front squats are better or worse, they just target the teardrop of the quad, I find. And, yes, you must go deep to get the full benefit. I like it, it gives me good change-up.

Koubs
05-01-2009, 09:42 PM
I used to do them on the smith machine, but I actually like doing them better with the regular free-weight barbell... I hold it pretty high up close to my neck cause it's most comfortable for me and it won't slide down... Took me a few times to find that 'groove' but now it's one of my favorites!! Literally ass to ankles and your quads will be fuckin rocked!

Frosty
05-01-2009, 10:27 PM
I know they do hit your quads harder but do you guys think they are overall a better exercise then a back squat? I have been doing some reading and some authors seem to think front squats are better much to my surprise.

For many sports the front squat is better than the back squat. However when it comes to bodybuilding, often there are just different lifts that hit the muscles a bit different. If you always back squat, it's probably a good idea to try front squatting for variation.

Envirolover
05-03-2009, 06:15 PM
I tried those front squats again today...still hating them but will try them for a few more leg workouts and see how I adjust.

Strikerrjones
05-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Ugh, I tried front squats for the first time last week, and I really don't think I'll be doing them again soon. Maybe my body is shaped weird or something, but I spent a lot more effort trying to keep the bar in place than I did working my quads. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I don't see what it is.

Frosty
05-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Ugh, I tried front squats for the first time last week, and I really don't think I'll be doing them again soon. Maybe my body is shaped weird or something, but I spent a lot more effort trying to keep the bar in place than I did working my quads. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I don't see what it is.

You should almost feel like you're being choked when you're doing a front squat. The bar should be that close. Your elbows should be kept up high...your humerus should be about perpendicular to the floor. If you can't get this position using a clean grip due to arm size and or flexibility, use the crossed arm position. Remember, bar choking you, elbows up so upper arm perpendicular to the floor, and sit back into the squat holding this position.

You may not be using a proper upright body position while squatting. Maybe you're squatting on the balls of your feet (not sitting back), or you're using too much weight forcing you to use less of your quads and more of your hammies/glutes by leaning forward, or perhaps even poor flexibility of the hips and maybe calves.

Perhaps give it a shot with less weight and stressing good form. Don't worry...who cares if you have to drop it to even 135...your poundages will dramatically increase once you start using good form and you'll work the right muscles.

Strikerrjones
05-03-2009, 07:30 PM
You should almost feel like you're being choked when you're doing a front squat. The bar should be that close. Your elbows should be kept up high...your humerus should be about perpendicular to the floor. If you can't get this position using a clean grip due to arm size and or flexibility, use the crossed arm position. Remember, bar choking you, elbows up so upper arm perpendicular to the floor, and sit back into the squat holding this position.

You may not be using a proper upright body position while squatting. Maybe you're squatting on the balls of your feet (not sitting back), or you're using too much weight forcing you to use less of your quads and more of your hammies/glutes by leaning forward, or perhaps even poor flexibility of the hips and maybe calves.

Perhaps give it a shot with less weight and stressing good form. Don't worry...who cares if you have to drop it to even 135...your poundages will dramatically increase once you start using good form and you'll work the right muscles.

Hmm... alright, thanks man. I did try putting the bar really high up, but it did feel like it was choking me and I immediately moved it back down. I guess if that's the correct form, I can put up with it. And the weight actually was 135... LOL.

Rattbones
05-08-2009, 05:45 AM
Just do hack squats, fuck front squats

Envirolover
05-09-2009, 12:27 AM
I will keep trying them too. That is a beautiful dog Striker...I love German Shepards

Strikerrjones
05-09-2009, 12:36 AM
I will keep trying them too. That is a beautiful dog Striker...I love German Shepards

Heh, thanks. It's actually a Belgian Malinois, which is like a German Shepherd but smaller. Ours is almost full grown and is only about 70 pounds.

Frosty
05-09-2009, 12:44 AM
Just do hack squats, fuck front squats

Be careful with really heavy hack squats. That's a lot of torque on the knees. I'd go with higher reps. With my long torso and short arms, I can't even do hack squats lol.

Trixter
05-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Personally I see better results from deep front squats than back squats and its a lot easier on my knees. I came across an article once that suggested using straps to help hold onto the bar. Tried it once and found it much more comfortable to rest the bar more on the front delt and take some stress off the clavicles. I kept the pic, too, so you can see what I mean.

canadian-muscle
05-18-2009, 08:11 PM
i know they target the quad nicely but i just hate having to drop all the weight i busted my ass for on my back squats i mean two years and i can do a decent set with 300 lbs and i feel that back squats are just more biomechanically efficent for me cuz i am 6'1

robert da strongman
05-18-2009, 08:20 PM
for oly and strongman they are a useful lift. really helps with the pressing.

for bb'ing you are better off using the smith machine. you can concentrate more on the quads without worrying about balance or holding the bar.

Frosty
05-18-2009, 08:54 PM
for bb'ing you are better off using the smith machine. you can concentrate more on the quads without worrying about balance or holding the bar.

I think that's what the leg press should be for for BBers :D Heavy front squats and use the leg press for more localized quad work...that way you can do heavy reps, very high reps, forced reps...

robert da strongman
05-18-2009, 08:56 PM
I think that's what the leg press should be for for BBers :D Heavy front squats and use the leg press for more localized quad work...that way you can do heavy reps, very high reps, forced reps...

dunno i like the leg press too...hi reps all the way

Dr Pangloss
05-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Personally I see better results from deep front squats than back squats and its a lot easier on my knees. I came across an article once that suggested using straps to help hold onto the bar. Tried it once and found it much more comfortable to rest the bar more on the front delt and take some stress off the clavicles. I kept the pic, too, so you can see what I mean.

i've been using straps on the bar for 20 years.

robert da strongman
05-18-2009, 09:04 PM
my only problem with front squats is the stress on my elbows

BigJD69
05-19-2009, 12:18 PM
I Love front squats!