PDA

View Full Version : Matt's Countdown to 2012 Competitions

Down4whatever
09-18-2012, 09:09 AM
Well, I'm actually going to try and keep a log for the last weeks of my contest prep. I've never been a good journaler, but I feel like I need to get some of this competition season on record for future reference.

I'm doing the NPC Texas State Bodybuilding Championships on October 13th, so I'm just short of 4 weeks out for this show.

Then I'm most likely doing the NPC OKC Grand Prix on November 3rd, so I'm just short of 7 weeks out from that show.

These will be only my second and third bodybuilding shows I have ever done. The Texas show is a bit out of my league so to speak, so I'm using it as kind of a warm-up for the OKC show.

I started prep in July at about 229# and I'm 6'1".....yeah, yeah, I'm too tall for this sport, but I just love it, so I want to compete. On Saturday, I weighed in at a shriveled up 205.6# :(

I'm following Matt Helton's (Axioma)protocal as I've hired him to coach me through this prep.

My spirits are still pretty high, which is a sharp contrast to my first contest. My first contest, I think I made many mistakes that I have learned from which is all you can really expect. The biggest error I made in my first contest prep was related to the amount of cardio I did. I was doing around 3 hours per day and it caught up with me in the last 3 weeks as I did something to my left knee and had to scrap leg training the last few weeks. It showed on stage too; my legs looked like shit.

I haven't been doing pics lately as they just wear me out. Between tryiing to get a pump while depleted and finding proper lighting to show vascularity and striations, I just hate doing pics. I do plan on getting some for the last 3 weeks though.

Anyway, feel free to chime in anyone. I like the interaction and always appreciate the encouragement and camaraderie!

Baldiewonkanobi
09-18-2012, 10:50 AM
What's the weight your coach wants you at showtime?

BTW 6'1"......tell me about it.

Glad to see you back in the mix!!!

Baldie

Down4whatever
09-18-2012, 12:15 PM
What's the weight your coach wants you at showtime?

BTW 6'1"......tell me about it.

Glad to see you back in the mix!!!

Baldie

Hey Bill!

Matt is not a huge fan of worrying about bodyweight. His philosophy is that you'll weigh what you weigh. I actually feel the same way after years of sweating the scale. Now, the scale is nothing more than an inconvenient metric.....although I'd like to stay above 200# if it's at all possible :)

Glad to be back around!

gman
09-18-2012, 03:33 PM
Arnold was 6' 2", so that excuse holds no water! lol

Also happy that you have cut the cardio down to a more reasonable amount. I am not an expert but slogging for 3+ hours a day to burn 300 calories seems very counterproductive.

HeavyDutyGuy
09-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Arnold was a genetic freak with bird bones and full volume muscle bellies almost everywhere. I'm 6'2 and outweigh his best easily, yet he would trash me. It's all how you are genetically set up. Matt, just make sure you're full and ripped for YOUR structure. That's all you can do. For me that would be 245-250. You might pull the same thing off at 210. Who knows?

Mac
09-18-2012, 04:59 PM
I'll be watching this log - fill it up with some good reading.

Sunnyday
09-18-2012, 08:45 PM
Following along. I'm 4.5 weeks out from my next show.

Down4whatever
09-19-2012, 08:49 AM
Arnold was 6' 2", so that excuse holds no water! lol

Also happy that you have cut the cardio down to a more reasonable amount. I am not an expert but slogging for 3+ hours a day to burn 300 calories seems very counterproductive.

Yeah, yeah, but I'm no genetic specimen.

That 3 hours per day was burning way more than 300 calories; it had to burn off all the shit I was eating while I was binging like a crazy man. But I hear ya.

Arnold was a genetic freak with bird bones and full volume muscle bellies almost everywhere. I'm 6'2 and outweigh his best easily, yet he would trash me. It's all how you are genetically set up. Matt, just make sure you're full and ripped for YOUR structure. That's all you can do. For me that would be 245-250. You might pull the same thing off at 210. Who knows?

Well, Give me 10 years, James and maybe I can fill this lanky frame with some quality muscle. If I can get these bird legs to grow, I'll be in good shape.

I'll be watching this log - fill it up with some good reading.

Good to have you along, Steve. I'll certainly try. There's so much to say sometimes that you really don't know what to type.

Following along. I'm 4.5 weeks out from my next show.

Awesome! Which show are you doing? Thank you for the support!

Down4whatever
09-19-2012, 08:58 AM
Trained legs last night. Got it done in about 70 minutes give or take. Really nothing worth noting, just doing work.

Squats - top set 315 x 8. I really slowed down the pace on these for a change and exaggerated the range of motion. Felt it really nice in the hamstrings.
Stationary Lunges - just did 140# x 12 per leg x 3
Single leg extensions - 3 sets x 20
Single leg curls - 3 sets x 15

I forgot to pack my 1/2 cup of rice yesterday which really sucked. The 1/2 c rice is all the carbs I get right now, so it was a downer for sure.

I will start posing practice tonight. I held off as long as possible because I loathe posing training. I can't stand to see myself all depleted and small. Oh well, it's part of the march to the stage.

The good news is that I don't feel like I have lost any strength during this prep. In fact, I may have gained a bit of strength on some lifts. This, in theory, tells me that I haven't lost any appreciable amount of muscle. But there's still around 25 days left :eek:

gman
09-19-2012, 11:10 AM
It's interesting to see the various approaches to the final push.

What little posing practice I did, it was more physically demanding than the actual lifting!

Hammerfit
09-19-2012, 01:54 PM
What show are you doing? Don't over deplete those carbs. I have found out through trial and error for the more mature muscle it is important to keep the muscles full.

Posing practice sucks! But dont do it and it will show on stage. I love it when guys say they dont need to because they've been doing it forever. Branch starts posing every day @ 8 weeks out!

Down4whatever
09-19-2012, 02:12 PM
What show are you doing? Don't over deplete those carbs. I have found out through trial and error for the more mature muscle it is important to keep the muscles full.

Posing practice sucks! But dont do it and it will show on stage. I love it when guys say they dont need to because they've been doing it forever. Branch starts posing every day @ 8 weeks out!

I'm doing the NPC Texas State Bodybuilding Championships on October 13th, so I'm just short of 4 weeks out for this show.

Then I'm most likely doing the NPC OKC Grand Prix on November 3rd, so I'm just short of 7 weeks out from that show.

I'm following Matt Helton's (Axioma)protocal as I've hired him to coach me through this prep.

I quoted the part in my first post that is relevant to your question, Mike.

So, how do you handle carbs with your trainees and yourself? Axioma has me doing CKD right now.

Baldiewonkanobi
09-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Isometric posing WHILE SMILING. Hold each sweet spot 30 sec.

I totally agree with Mike on carb depletion with mature muscle.

HOWEVER you don't need or want advice from multile sources. Follow your one guide to the end. Learn from that and tweek it if needed 2nd show.

Baldie

Baldie

Hammerfit
09-19-2012, 07:35 PM
I quoted the part in my first post that is relevant to your question, Mike.

So, how do you handle carbs with your trainees and yourself? Axioma has me doing CKD right now.

Sorry man I surly didnt see the part about Matt training you. Im not trying to circumvent any advice he is giving you. What I am saying and I'm sure Matt would tell you this too is that the more mature muscled guys tend to lose muscle fullness faster than younger guys when they over deplete that last week or so. Seen it happen to alot of guys and even myself. Look awesome 1-2 weeks out then deplete per the standard and look like crap on show day.

What I am doing and would advise someone my age is to be ready to go 2 weeks out and hold it and adjust with cardio and not severely reducing your calories. Again I am not going against what your trainer has instructed. Only listen to your trainer, you cant have more than one person directing you. I dont know all your particulars, he does. Good luck!

Down4whatever
09-20-2012, 08:57 AM
Isometric posing WHILE SMILING. Hold each sweet spot 30 sec.

I totally agree with Mike on carb depletion with mature muscle.

HOWEVER you don't need or want advice from multiple sources. Follow your one guide to the end. Learn from that and tweek it if needed 2nd show.

Baldie

Baldie

That's the plan Bill. It's hard enough with just one coach, I agree.

Sorry man I surly didnt see the part about Matt training you. Im not trying to circumvent any advice he is giving you. What I am saying and I'm sure Matt would tell you this too is that the more mature muscled guys tend to lose muscle fullness faster than younger guys when they over deplete that last week or so. Seen it happen to alot of guys and even myself. Look awesome 1-2 weeks out then deplete per the standard and look like crap on show day.

What I am doing and would advise someone my age is to be ready to go 2 weeks out and hold it and adjust with cardio and not severely reducing your calories. Again I am not going against what your trainer has instructed. Only listen to your trainer, you cant have more than one person directing you. I dont know all your particulars, he does. Good luck!

It's no problem, I was really asking so that I see your point of view. I like to collect ideas from others. What works for one may not necessarily work for another. I believe I did over deplete for my first contest back in 2010. I'm sure Matt has a plan.

Thanks for chiming in and no need to hold back on your opinions just because I have a coach. I like the feedback from everyone.

Down4whatever
09-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Last night was round two of cardio. I call it cardio, but it's really just calorie burning activity. We walked for 40 minutes around the neighborhood.

I do my real cardio in the mornings at 4:45am--I do 60 minutes on the treadmill at 4.5mph and 6-8% incline depending on how I feel. About once per month I put on the HR monitor and make sure I haven't gotten so used to the cardio that my HR doesn't get high enough. I try to keep it between 125-130.

I am starting to think that I'm as lean as I'm going to be right now for this first contest, but I hope I can dial it in a little better during the next two weeks before peak week. For this first contest, I never set out to get peeled necessarily. I spent the first 11 weeks of prep trying to add some much needed mass while slowly leaning out with a new supplement and training protocal.

The second contest is where I want to do the damage!

gman
09-20-2012, 11:25 AM
The first show will be a good trial run for the new show prep methods you are using this time with Matt. I am sure he knows what he is doing, so I bet it works out well!

masterschamp
09-20-2012, 12:22 PM
What show are you doing?

Down4whatever
09-20-2012, 01:33 PM

What show are you doing?

I'm still quite the amateur compared to you, but gimme a few years! :D

Down4whatever
09-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Not a posing pic, but here's a shot from tonight. Still carrying way too much bodyfat. Posing pics tomorrow

Baldiewonkanobi
09-21-2012, 07:15 PM
WHOA is this the same Matt I trained with in Tulsa....what only 3 yerars ago? Awsome my friend.

Baldie

Mac
09-21-2012, 07:44 PM
Not a posing pic, but here's a shot from tonight. Still carrying way too much bodyfat. Posing pics tomorrow

Smile gadam it!

Great improvements Matt. Way too much BF, nope!

Hammerfit
09-22-2012, 08:41 AM
3 weeks out I'd right on track

Down4whatever
09-23-2012, 01:37 PM
WHOA is this the same Matt I trained with in Tulsa....what only 3 yerars ago? Awsome my friend.

Baldie

3 weeks out I'd right on track

Damn, you guys are great. I needed some positive thoughts as this prep is really getting me down. I was down again this week to 203.8#. I'm so dangerously close to falling under 200 and it's really fucking with my head. Could I really have gone almost 2 years and only added just a couple pounds of mass? WTF?

Anyway, we conquered some of our lighting issues and got some decent pics today. I know I messed up a few of the poses, but feel free to chime in and let me know of any glaring changes you would make regarding posing.

Baldiewonkanobi
09-23-2012, 02:40 PM
Matt, on rear shots pull shoulders up and backwards about 2". Head back a bit also. Will hi-lite rear delts/traps/rhomboids better.

On pulling lats out on rear shot use full length of outer thumbs.....not just the tip of thumbs. That will ease up the deep wrinkles.

On that right side chest shot you can deepen the hams belly by digging the hidden knee into the inside of that forward camera facing ham just above the knee. Your photog and comment as you do these tricks.

Baldie

Hammerfit
09-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Also try lowering your hand placement on the rear lat spread, see if that doesnt help
conditioning wise look good, you'll be there when you dry out

Down4whatever
09-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Smile gadam it!

Great improvements Matt. Way too much BF, nope!

I know I multi-quoted you, but for some reason it didn't take.

Thanks for the kind words, Steve. As you are well aware, it REALLY helps.

Down4whatever
09-23-2012, 09:08 PM
Matt, on rear shots pull shoulders up and backwards about 2". Head back a bit also. Will hi-lite rear delts/traps/rhomboids better.

On pulling lats out on rear shot use full length of outer thumbs.....not just the tip of thumbs. That will ease up the deep wrinkles.

On that right side chest shot you can deepen the hams belly by digging the hidden knee into the inside of that forward camera facing ham just above the knee. Your photog and comment as you do these tricks.

Baldie

Also try lowering your hand placement on the rear lat spread, see if that doesnt help
conditioning wise look good, you'll be there when you dry out

Got it guys! Thanks for the tips; I'll integrate them into my posing practice sessions.

gman
09-24-2012, 11:51 AM
Not sure if the veterans would agree, but I would add don't forget to crunch the abs so they show.

(I am an expert you know ) lol

Mac
09-24-2012, 12:14 PM
Hell, I will throw my opinions in here. Constructive criticism.

In the RDB and Lat Spread, put your right leg back a bit more and legs a touch closer. Either that or grow your adductors really fast.

Contract the hell out of your glutes and dig in with each leg popping out those hams.

If I remember, you have a shoulder injury that causes your tilting? Concentrate on bringing that right shoulder up.

Don't bring your fists too close to your head.

Looking great Matt. Vascularity shows in the pics. Stay focused and don't do any last minute changes.

Down4whatever
09-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Not sure if the veterans would agree, but I would add don't forget to crunch the abs so they show.

(I am an expert you know ) lol

Ha, thanks Mike. For the record, I am crunching the abs on the poses that are designed for that. I guess I just have no abs :(

Hell, I will throw my opinions in here. Constructive criticism.

In the RDB and Lat Spread, put your right leg back a bit more and legs a touch closer. Either that or grow your adductors really fast.

Contract the hell out of your glutes and dig in with each leg popping out those hams.

If I remember, you have a shoulder injury that causes your tilting? Concentrate on bringing that right shoulder up.

Don't bring your fists too close to your head.

Looking great Matt. Vascularity shows in the pics. Stay focused and don't do any last minute changes.

Thanks, Steve. That really helps. I know my legs are a lag muscle group, I've been trying to get them to grow for 4 years. Stubborn bastards.

The issue that causes my tilting is a 3/4" differential in the length of my right and left hip bone. I'm getting better at recognizing the tilt, but just missed correcting in these shots.

We tried something new on these shots. I would hit the pose and tell Michelle to start counting. She would count to 10 before taking the pic. It really exhausted me, so the last few were really rough. But thats what it takes to get better at posing!

HeavyDutyGuy
09-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Good technical advice given. I will let that by the wayside and just say-Stop hiding! Youre a big guy- pose like it! Good luck!

axioma
09-26-2012, 12:14 PM
Damn, you guys are great. I needed some positive thoughts as this prep is really getting me down. I was down again this week to 203.8#. I'm so dangerously close to falling under 200 and it's really fucking with my head. Could I really have gone almost 2 years and only added just a couple pounds of mass? WTF?

Anyway, we conquered some of our lighting issues and got some decent pics today. I know I messed up a few of the poses, but feel free to chime in and let me know of any glaring changes you would make regarding posing.

Weight is irrelevant! It is about how you look. You are looking HARD! All the suggesstions on posing good, just got to practice. Stretch out before you pose, free up the shoulders and scapula...Keep plugging. Fantastic transformation.

Down4whatever
09-27-2012, 08:47 AM
Good technical advice given. I will let that by the wayside and just say-Stop hiding! Youre a big guy- pose like it! Good luck!

Not sure where your post went James???

Yes, I am a big guy by the general publics standards, but in the world of Bodybuilding, I have to admit to myself that I am pretty damn small. My arms barely measure 16" and my legs measure 24" on a good day.

I've been on modified TRT for two and a half years now, and haven't added much mass. So, that tells me one of two things. Either my training sucks ass or my genetic potential is almost reached. You decide.

Weight is irrelevant! It is about how you look. You are looking HARD! All the suggesstions on posing good, just got to practice. Stretch out before you pose, free up the shoulders and scapula...Keep plugging. Fantastic transformation.

Yes, Matt, I agree that weight is irrelevant, but when trying to calculate how much mass I have added for progress sake, knowing that I weigh 203 right now and still not in as good shape as I was two years ago at 2 weeks out weighing 194, is quite disheartening. But I will continue to push myself!

Thanks for the push, Matt!

Down4whatever
09-27-2012, 08:56 AM
Well, 16 days out now. I have a bit of the pre-contest blues right now. My mood is stuck in reverse, but the good news is that I'm looking much sharper and harder. My morning mirror inspection showed much improvement. I'm seeing vascularity in the ab region as well as the lats and shoulders. I'm sure there is vascularity in my back as well, but I can't really see that. :D

I'm going to keep on rollin'; no stopping me now. I have a rather large crew of friends and family that will be at the show, I'm just paranoid that I will embarass myself. Typical pre-show jitters and lack of confidence :(

Right now, my training sessions are geared more toward maintenance and not worth posting.

Hammerfit
09-27-2012, 09:44 AM
Well, 16 days out now. I have a bit of the pre-contest blues right now. My mood is stuck in reverse, but the good news is that I'm looking much sharper and harder. My morning mirror inspection showed much improvement. I'm seeing vascularity in the ab region as well as the lats and shoulders. I'm sure there is vascularity in my back as well, but I can't really see that. :D

I'm going to keep on rollin'; no stopping me now. I have a rather large crew of friends and family that will be at the show, I'm just paranoid that I will embarass myself. Typical pre-show jitters and lack of confidence :(

Right now, my training sessions are geared more toward maintenance and not worth posting.

Matt, nerves and self doubt at this point are perfectly normal so try not to stress over it. The important thing is you have to enjoy this experience. If it's not fun then WTF are we doing it for? Right? Get that smile on, be proud of yourself and your accomplishments, it will show on stage. Remember this is ALL about illusions, it's what you present at that given moment, not what you did yesterday or today but what you do when the lights come on. Spend as much time as possible posing, squeezing, contracting ever muscle in your body. Don't over deplete or under hydrate, listen to what your coach is telling you and NO ONE else. You can't get caught up in this one said that and this one said this. Stop worrying and present your best and you will do great! Have someone video your posing from a seated position so you can see what the judges are seeing, especially from the back. Pose, pose and pose some more!

gman
09-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Wish we had the funds to come see you Matt. I know you will do great if you do what your coach tells you!

freebirdmac
09-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Damn Matt! You have put on significant size!!! Best of luck in your competitions!

I think I was another one who told you years ago to smile in your picts :D

Mac
09-27-2012, 10:59 AM
I have a rather large crew of friends and family that will be at the show, I'm just paranoid that I will embarass myself. Typical pre-show jitters and lack of confidence :(

No f'in way you will embarrass yourself Matt. C'mon, you have so much to be proud of.

Work on that confidence. Show it in your face.

Pose, and then pose some more.

Down4whatever
09-27-2012, 11:31 AM
Matt, nerves and self doubt at this point are perfectly normal so try not to stress over it. The important thing is you have to enjoy this experience. If it's not fun then WTF are we doing it for? Right? Get that smile on, be proud of yourself and your accomplishments, it will show on stage. Remember this is ALL about illusions, it's what you present at that given moment, not what you did yesterday or today but what you do when the lights come on. Spend as much time as possible posing, squeezing, contracting ever muscle in your body. Don't over deplete or under hydrate, listen to what your coach is telling you and NO ONE else. You can't get caught up in this one said that and this one said this. Stop worrying and present your best and you will do great! Have someone video your posing from a seated position so you can see what the judges are seeing, especially from the back. Pose, pose and pose some more!

Thank you, Mike! That's what I needed to hear!

Wish we had the funds to come see you Matt. I know you will do great if you do what your coach tells you!

Would be awesome, but I totally understand. I appreciate the confidence!

Damn Matt! You have put on significant size!!! Best of luck in your competitions!

I think I was another one who told you years ago to smile in your picts :D

Thank you, Pam! Yeah, yeah, I will work on smiling. I've just never been much of a smiler. In the Military, smiling was frowned upon.....get it? :D

No f'in way you will embarrass yourself Matt. C'mon, you have so much to be proud of.

Work on that confidence. Show it in your face.

Pose, and then pose some more.

Got it! Thanks Steve! I'm really much more level-headed this time around. The competition in 2010 about ended me.

Sunnyday
09-27-2012, 05:04 PM

^
Great advice! Especially the part about listening to your coach and no one else. That kept me from going over the edge at my previous shows. :)

axioma
09-28-2012, 08:08 AM
As your coach, this is not the show that I am getting you ready for. We are shooting for November as being your best! Getting ready for this will actually slow your gain as far as growth. Make the best of it and then on to November.

Hammerfit
09-28-2012, 09:44 AM
As your coach, this is not the show that I am getting you ready for. We are shooting for November as being your best! Getting ready for this will actually slow your gain as far as growth. Make the best of it and then on to November.

Getting ready for this will actually slow your gain as far as growth. I strongly agree with what he is saying! It's up to you, if you think you need the practice, but I know when I did multiple shows last year it back fired on me. It's very hard to peak and then peak again.

Down4whatever
09-28-2012, 10:10 AM
I hear you guys, but here's the thing. You guys are on a totally different plane than I am. I'm a mere novice's novice; I have limited muscle mass relative to my 73" frame, so competing for me is probably a bit different than it is to you guys with years of competing under your belts.

Unless Matt has some magic formula I'm not aware of, I will simply look like a tall guy who works out up there on stage. I'd like to fool myself into thinking I could win, but at the end of the day I have to be honest with myself and admit that this is a hobby for me--a way to avoid becoming a sloth or an alcoholic.

Thanks for the input guys. Maybe after this is over, I'll have a different perspective????

Down4whatever
09-30-2012, 01:41 PM
13 days out. Progress shots look good; I'm happy with them....of course we are never 100% happy with progress shots. First pic is me at 2 weeks out for my first contest in November 2010. Big difference!

HeavyDutyGuy
09-30-2012, 07:20 PM
matt, nerves and self doubt at this point are perfectly normal so try not to stress over it. The important thing is you have to enjoy this experience. If it's not fun then wtf are we doing it for? Right? Get that smile on, be proud of yourself and your accomplishments, it will show on stage. Remember this is all about illusions, it's what you present at that given moment, not what you did yesterday or today but what you do when the lights come on. Spend as much time as possible posing, squeezing, contracting ever muscle in your body. Don't over deplete or under hydrate, listen to what your coach is telling you and no one else. You can't get caught up in this one said that and this one said this. Stop worrying and present your best and you will do great! Have someone video your posing from a seated position so you can see what the judges are seeing, especially from the back. Pose, pose and pose some more!
this^.

HeavyDutyGuy
09-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Matt, I think you are selling yourself a bit short. You're not Phil Heath, but you're not chicken feed, either! Think positive and enjoy this!

Down4whatever
10-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Matt, I think you are selling yourself a bit short. You're not Phil Heath, but you're not chicken feed, either! Think positive and enjoy this!

Thanks James; I'm enjoying the ride!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still hitting it pretty hard. Saturday we went to the commercial gym and did legs. Hack Squats--bottoming out the sled up to 5 plates per side x 8....never done that much before, I think this hack machine is easier than most--maybe the angle is advantageous. We also decided to hit the abductor and adductor machines which I haven't done in about 18 months, lol. I'm still limping through cardio even this morning....note to self: Go easy on abductor machine :D

Yesterday, we did chest. Highlight was bench press, 225x12, 245x10, 260x9, 275x8. Doesn't look like I have lost much strength!! We also did incline machine 4 sets 12 and dips 4 sets 12.

I've been practicing my posing a bit and got some good tips from the coach to help visually improve my legs from the front. Now I'm struggling with side relaxed.....totally forgot how to hit that pose, so I will be working on the 1/4 turns the next few days.

Diet is good. I'm down to minimal carbs as expected. I'm not feeling too terribly bad, but the misery builds up through the week. Just gotta do work!

Hammerfit
10-02-2012, 09:56 AM
13 days out. Progress shots look good; I'm happy with them....of course we are never 100% happy with progress shots. First pic is me at 2 weeks out for my first contest in November 2010. Big difference!

looking good especially from back grainy and dry looking you should do well keep us updated

masterschamp
10-02-2012, 10:08 AM
You look really good, Matt.........like James said ...don't sell yourself short.

Keith

Rick Prince
10-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Matt, you are looking good. Keep up the good work.

I have two suggestions:

1) Pull up the sides of your trunks about 1-2 inches. This will make your waist look smaller, and make your shoulder to waist ratio to look even greater.

2) Smile

Down4whatever
10-03-2012, 09:06 AM
looking good especially from back grainy and dry looking you should do well keep us updated

You look really good, Matt.........like James said ...don't sell yourself short.

Keith

Matt, you are looking good. Keep up the good work.

I have two suggestions:

1) Pull up the sides of your trunks about 1-2 inches. This will make your waist look smaller, and make your shoulder to waist ratio to look even greater.

2) Smile

Thank you very much, guys!! The confidence is building thanks to you all.

I also appreciate the posing tips. Which reminds me, does anyone have an ab-thingh pose picture of themselves that they are especially proud of? If so post it up in here as that pose is hard for me. It seems like my legs won't show anyseparation when I strike this pose....I focus on the legs in my mind, but nothing pops.

Hell, if anyone has ANY pose you are particulary proud of, post it up for me to see if I can hit it similarly.

Had to make a moderate change in the schedule last night as I felt my legs needed one more day of recovery, so we hit back last night. Nothing crazy, just wide and close grip pulldowns, pullups, and some deadlifting. Tonight we will hit legs with what I have left in the tank. I really feel the depletion this morning. Feels oh so good, yet so bad :D. I'm ready for peak week!

Down4whatever
10-04-2012, 08:51 AM
I don't know how some of you guys do the ketosis thing... I'm at day 4 without carbs and I feel absolutely wiped out and physically as well as mentally drained. I always thought you would slip into ketosis by the second day and not skip a beat. There must be some reason why I cannot get the hang of keto as this is like my 100th try at it and every time, I lose.

Anyway, besides being totally drained, I do feel motivated about completing the task at hand. I did legs last night and everything felt good. One more leg session to go and that's on Sunday.

I've been doing some light posing, but not the posing I need to be doing. That will change. I have been tanning indoors so that I won't need as much spray tan at contest time. I've been doing my cardio regularly--about 1:40 per day split into two sessions.

Every mornng I do my mirror inspection like clockwork and I almost always see something new in the way of striations or vascularity.

We'll post my one week out pics this weekend and then proceed into peak week! I'm so ready!

gman
10-04-2012, 11:38 AM
I am one who just slips right into it, so I have no idea what you're going through, but it sounds rough. I know some people advocate carbs post work-out, even on a ketosis diet, but I don't know if that would even help! Keep it up you are almost there!

Down4whatever
10-04-2012, 04:41 PM
I am one who just slips right into it, so I have no idea what you're going through, but it sounds rough. I know some people advocate carbs post work-out, even on a ketosis diet, but I don't know if that would even help! Keep it up you are almost there!

Yeah, I remember you like keto diets quite a bit. i wish I did as I hear that they are great for guys on AAS.....I'm at a loss. I ate 1/2 cup of rice at 11am so I'm feeling better. I'm still getting light-headed when i stand up, but not as bad. :D

axioma
10-05-2012, 07:50 AM
Adding half cup rice can take you out of keto. Add one tbs almond butter instead if you crashing.

Mac
10-05-2012, 10:05 AM
For me, 9 days out from a show wouldn't be the time to try to achieve ketosis for the very first time. Hopefully it, will work for you. I would get the needed energy to practice posing like a crazy man, which will benefit you more than keto at this point.

As stated earlier in this thread, listen to your coach not others.

Down4whatever
10-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Adding half cup rice can take you out of keto. Add one tbs almond butter instead if you crashing.

Never had almond butter before....I don't think. The damage is done, woke up to 16% bodyfat, lol. All good, I think I'll be dialed in good enough.

For me, 9 days out from a show wouldn't be the time to try to achieve ketosis for the very first time. Hopefully it, will work for you. I would get the needed energy to practice posing like a crazy man, which will benefit you more than keto at this point.

As stated earlier in this thread, listen to your coach not others.

Not really trying to achieve it, just going carbless this week as much as possible to shed as much last minute body-goo as possible. It really was just an observation that has been bugging me for 4 years or so. I remember the first tiime I tried to reach ketosis in 2009. I was sitting on the couch on a saturday, stood up to go to the bathroom and basically blacked-out and caught myself falling against the wall. Maybe it's my ectomorphic body-type, but seriously doubt I will ever achieve ketosis; too much misery.

Thanks for the comments, Steve! 8 DAYS!!!!!!!!

axioma
10-06-2012, 12:26 AM
I'm finding more about what is going on with your training here, lol, than email. So I'll address it here. You mean you have gone UP in bodyfat? Taking fat caps? You have offset caloric deficit with fat consumption. That is your fuel. Could be one of your supps causing dizziness? I check emails all the time. Rather not check here too, bro.

Down4whatever
10-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Everything is going well and according to plan. Carbs are coming in slowly and training is ramping down....just as expected. Mood is great. I am a bit tired, but that's to be expected.

Body weight was up on Saturday by about 3lbs to 207.2, but it didn't show in my physique. I am going to scale up the last 3 days first thing in the morning to watch how much I fill up.

Here's a sneak peek at what I looked like Sunday. Ready to do this!!!!!!!

Mac
10-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Kill it Matt !!! You're looking great and ready.

Sunnyday
10-10-2012, 02:15 PM
You look great! Good luck!

Hammerfit
10-10-2012, 02:47 PM

You really filled out nicely! Great Job!

Down4whatever
10-11-2012, 08:48 AM
Kill it Matt !!! You're looking great and ready.

You really filled out nicely! Great Job!

Thank you for the kind words of encouragement!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Woke up at the normal time this morning even though I didn't have to since cardio has been cut so drastically. Hit the scale at 205.8#. I have no point of reference except that I am down from Saturday by 1.4#. We'll see what happens the next two weigh ins. I assume I'll pick up a pound or so per day and hit pre-judging at a semi-filled out 208.

Mirror inspection this morning revealed full presence of ab veins and lat veins. I even saw a bunch on my back. I'm still probably about 8% bodyfat, but I'm not concerned.

Tonight I will do posing practice and the wife is going to assist me with the full body shave. It shouldn't be too difficult as I keep shaved in my hairiest areas full time. The only areas we need to hit will be shoulders and back and I need to clean up the stubble from my legs.

Nothing left to do but wait for time to tick by.....this is the hardest part--feeling ready but having to wait two days :D

axioma
10-11-2012, 10:45 PM
weight is deceptive. Playing it conservative, just be patient. Your metabolism is still kicking from the deplete so you will still lose some bodyfat as you replenish glycogen. Remember, you will still have another show to do and you will be fuller and harder for that one. Just relax now and see yourself third person.

Down4whatever
10-12-2012, 08:51 AM
weight is deceptive. Playing it conservative, just be patient. Your metabolism is still kicking from the deplete so you will still lose some bodyfat as you replenish glycogen. Remember, you will still have another show to do and you will be fuller and harder for that one. Just relax now and see yourself third person.

I agree, just documenting the process; not worried in the least :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Woke up at usual time, 4:40am even though I didn't have to. I like to keep a regular schedule--I can't stand changing things around. I hit the scale at 207.2#, which is 1.4# up from yesterday. It will be interesting to see what I weigh tonight at the weigh-in......thinking 212 or more. I like it :D

Looks like I may get to work a 1/2 day today if everything goes right. Monday is the extended tax deadline for 1040's, so it has been hectic at work.

Gonna go home and practice routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiCJY1cplu8

That's my music; first 60 seconds. It may be a bit big for my physique, but I'm doin' it!!

I'm so ready to do this!

masterschamp
10-12-2012, 09:56 AM
You look great Matt......go nail it!

Keith

Mac
10-23-2012, 11:44 AM
So Matt, how did you do?

Down4whatever
10-23-2012, 12:08 PM
Hey, Steve!

I kind of lost interest in this forum as there doesn't seem to be much activity.

Pics are up on the main page. Texas State BB Championships.

The show was so big that they didn't show actual placings beyond 5th. But here's how we think it went down:

Masters 35-49 - I was in the first callout. Since there were 17 competitors, there were 3 callouts of 6,6,5.

I was lined up at the end on the left, so since I wasn't 5th, we are saying 6th.

Novice Heavyweight - I was in the 2nd callout. Since there were 16 competitors, there were 3 callouts of 6,5,5. I was placed near the end on the right, so we assume 9th.

The show was DEEP....especially compared to the prior year. I am very happy with my placings and just hope to improve as time goes by.

Mac
10-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Hey, Steve!

I kind of lost interest in this forum as there doesn't seem to be much activity.

I will go take a look at the pics Matt.

Yeah, the forums suck with all the issues going on with the crummy layout, missing images, unusable with iOS devices, etc....

Glad to hear you were happy with the results.

Down4whatever
10-23-2012, 12:23 PM
Quick link in case you forgot my name

http://gallery.rxmuscle.com/index.php?contest=81&year=652&bodybuilder=15331

Hammerfit
10-23-2012, 03:13 PM
saw ur pics looked great good job u still got 1 more to do?

Down4whatever
10-23-2012, 03:23 PM
Thanks Mike!

Yes, November 3rd in Oklahoma City. We're hoping the field is not as deep......one day I'd like to hold a BB'ing trophy. Crossing fingers.

I'm on my own as Matt and I had a falling out. Just gonna wing it best I can

Mac
10-23-2012, 11:02 PM
You looked really good Matt. Keep it going for OKC!

Down4whatever
10-24-2012, 09:05 AM
You looked really good Matt. Keep it going for OKC!

You got it man! Finish line is in sight--10 days out!

You know you're getting close to being stage-ready when you are absolutely exhausted just breathing. Taking no prisoners, balls to the wall, training my ass off right now!

Thanks Brother!

Mac
10-24-2012, 09:34 AM
I said it before, looking like you're happy to be on stage WILL have an influence on the judges.

Quit being a gaadamn hard-ass iron warrior and smile. During this 10 days of hell, you don't have too. You are there to win, right?

Keep us posted and stay focused.

Down4whatever
10-26-2012, 04:01 PM
I said it before, looking like you're happy to be on stage WILL have an influence on the judges.

Quit being a gaadamn hard-ass iron warrior and smile. During this 10 days of hell, you don't have too. You are there to win, right?

Keep us posted and stay focused.

Hey now, I smiled....:D

Seriously, the pics are taken so quickly that by the time you have set-up in your pose, they've snapped already and the smile hadn't gotten started yet. I am practicing smiling all the way through the pose now. That Pro/Am show was really geared more toward the pros...we were but a mere afterthought.

Anyway, thought I'd drop in a couple of my favorites from the contest 10/13/12

Mac
10-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Great pics Matt. Your chest especially increased in size quite a bit!

Hammerfit
10-26-2012, 05:57 PM
Side Tricep was perfection!

AVBG
10-26-2012, 06:01 PM
We're with ya Matt.. Fwiw, I am also 6'1 so I will e watching with interest

masterschamp
10-29-2012, 09:49 AM
You looked great, Matt....believe me, you WILL be taking home a BB trophy in the near future.

Keith

Down4whatever
10-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Great pics Matt. Your chest especially increased in size quite a bit!

Thank you Steve. I think you're right, even though chest wasn't on the list of improvements I wanted for my offseason--go figure.

Side Tricep was perfection!

Thanks brother Mike! My posing always looks best from the side where I can scrunch down my long frame and appear bigger. I only wished I had sucked in my stomach a bit tighter when pic was snapped.

We're with ya Matt.. Fwiw, I am also 6'1 so I will e watching with interest

Awesome! Thanks man, I need to check into what you're doing as well.

You looked great, Matt....believe me, you WILL be taking home a BB trophy in the near future.

Keith

That means a shit-load to me! Thank you Keith.

5 Days out! I have a buddy that lives near Oklahoma City and I chatted with him a bit and he said show is gonna be deep.....gotta get my game face on.

Down4whatever
10-31-2012, 11:20 AM
Decided I would weigh these last 3 days to watch progress. Weighed in at 204.6 this morning--surprisingly flatter than I had hoped to be.

I'm following a protocal I found on the internet written by a very respected Bodybuilder. I'm front-loading my carbs (or trying anyway) and slowly tapering down until Friday. I started the week on Monday at 300g, yesterday 275g, today supposed to be 225g, but I think I need to bump it up.

Question for you veterans: What exactly does spill-over look like?

I really am not sure what to look for. What I do know is that the last contest, I couldn't get a pump to save my life and I think it's because I had too little water intake and no sodium to help fill me up. Along with too low carbs.

So, if anyone reads this, please chime in and give me your thoughts. There's no toes to step on as I'm doing this completely alone.

I'm extremely vascular and I feel like I'm filling up, but my morning mirror inspections keep having me look flat-ish.

So anyone with some free time, tell my of your experiences with peaking.

Hammerfit
10-31-2012, 12:37 PM
Decided I would weigh these last 3 days to watch progress. Weighed in at 204.6 this morning--surprisingly flatter than I had hoped to be.

I'm following a protocal I found on the internet written by a very respected Bodybuilder. I'm front-loading my carbs (or trying anyway) and slowly tapering down until Friday. I started the week on Monday at 300g, yesterday 275g, today supposed to be 225g, but I think I need to bump it up.

I really am not sure what to look for. What I do know is that the last contest, I couldn't get a pump to save my life and I think it's because I had too little water intake and no sodium to help fill me up. Along with too low carbs.

So, if anyone reads this, please chime in and give me your thoughts. There's no toes to step on as I'm doing this completely alone.

I'm extremely vascular and I feel like I'm filling up, but my morning mirror inspections keep having me look flat-ish.

So anyone with some free time, tell my of your experiences with peaking.

The morning is the time you are the most dry you should look flat

At this point in time is not time to be experimenting on carbing. The best thing to do is try sweet potatoes or baked potato and take in like a half of one wait 30 mins or so and see what you look like, this takes several and you can easily screw up and over or under carb

At this point all I would is make very small adjustments and pose and pose and pose some more

Im at the same point, but I know my body very well. I dont much carb loading at all. When I am very lean and conditioned I know Im done. Last couple days trickery is a load of crap. You are either there or not. Dont do anything drastic. You looked good in last pics just work on hardening up, you do that posing

Hope that helps

Right now 3 days out Im eating 75 grams carbs I want change until day of show when I will eat 1/2 baked potato every 30 mins or so until I have about 2 in me, but that is works for me

Good Luck

Down4whatever
10-31-2012, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the reply, Mike.

I agree, I loathe the last minute tricks. I am lean and ready, I just wanted some ideas on filling up. I remember my contest in 2010, about Thursday after the contest, I looked 20x better than I looked on stage.

I don't want that to happen again. I'm hell bent on filling up this time :D

For my frame, I have too little musculature, so I feel like I need to fill it up as much as I can without spilling over.

My contest 3 weeks ago, I was very soft and striations were disappearing before my eyes. NOT GONNA HAPPEN THIS TIME!

I think i remember you saying you stay pretty full up until the last few weeks......well, I haven't been full since July, lol.

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback and I will follow your advice. Hope you kick some ass at your show!!!

Mac
10-31-2012, 06:39 PM

Matt, now is not the time to find out and experiment with carb-loading. You're better off being a little flat than spilling over and losing your conditioning.

Mac
10-31-2012, 06:43 PM
Stress reduction is the best thing for you right now.

One of the reasons you probably looked better the following Thursday after your 2010 show. You may take a long time to fill up and never spill. Those are the things you can learn but not a few days out.

masterschamp
11-01-2012, 08:59 AM
Control any stress, Matt.....believe me...I was in the best shape of my life heading into my show this past August only to see it fall apart in the last 36 hours! I was dealing with so much at the time that my body just said "to hell with it" and I lost everything. My avatar picture was taken 10 days out from the show....had I just stayed right there I would have had a real shot at first. As it was, the emotional and physical stress I had been under just kicked my ass at the last minute. Don't get too concerned about ANYTHING.....believe me, you DO look great...just keep doing what you have done to get where you are now.....I told you you will be bringing home a BB trophy soon and I sincerely mean that.

Keith

Mac
11-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Control any stress, Matt.....believe me...

Stress reduction is the best thing for you right now.

Great minds think alike!

Down4whatever
11-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Thanks guys.....stress is not an issue for me. I was just asking a question and as usual there were about 100 views and 4 responses. Sometimes I wonder why I try to interact in this forum. Oh well.

All good, I'll just continue my protocal. I feel great and ready--NO STRESS AT ALL.

I'll post a quick note about the contest afterward....

Mac
11-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Thanks guys.....stress is not an issue for me. I was just asking a question and as usual there were about 100 views and 4 responses. Sometimes I wonder why I try to interact in this forum. Oh well.

Ummm... maybe in those 100 views, no one felt they had a real good answer for you.

Sometimes people cannot standup for their beliefs when others refute them and they rather stay quiet.

However, not speaking for myself, but you got the best answer from the champ himself.

I don't believe you're not under stress. That's great if you're that laid back as it won't be an issue for you, like it can be for most.

Down4whatever
11-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Ummm... maybe in those 100 views, no one felt they had a real good answer for you.

Sometimes people cannot standup for their beliefs when others refute them and they rather stay quiet.

However, not speaking for myself, but you got the best answer from the champ himself.

I don't believe you're not under stress. That's great if you're that laid back as it won't be an issue for you, like it can be for most.

Fair enough.

For the record, I was asking for people's successes with peaking--nothing to refute or argue there.

No big deal. And if you don't believe I'm not stressed, you don't know me at all. In the Military I had stress; becoming a father I had stress......bodybuilding show? Pfffft, whatever, I'm just having fun man.

Carry on...

Mac
11-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Fair enough.

For the record, I was asking for people's successes with peaking--nothing to refute or argue there.

No big deal. And if you don't believe I'm not stressed, you don't know me at all. In the Military I had stress; becoming a father I had stress......bodybuilding show? Pfffft, whatever, I'm just having fun man.

Carry on...

I didn't mean that you would be the one arguing, Matt. Sorry that you had taken it that way.

You're right, I don't know you well. It's good to see you are enjoying yourself and that's the way it should be.

Baldiewonkanobi
11-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Matt....I believe that "spill over" is about cortisol. Stress is the major cause. Extreme diet change is stress. As are over training, lack of sleep, work, relationships, etc. Muscle separation and feathering are blured when this happens. "Water" or body fluids envade these areas and you look flat. In my case I did the opposite and dumped valuable fluids. When you saw me in Pitt 2010 I had lost 13 pounds in one week. What ever I ate went right thru me along with precious water. It was all stress with my late wife fighting for her life. She died a few weeks later. STRESS.

BTW I continue to be impressed with your progress. Proud to know you.

Baldie

Mac
11-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Hopefully the other masters will give some input. Joel, Rick and Gary's experiences would be great to hear about.

Down4whatever
11-01-2012, 08:31 PM
I didn't mean that you would be the one arguing, Matt. Sorry that you had taken it that way.

You're right, I don't know you well. It's good to see you are enjoying yourself and that's the way it should be.

All good Steve. Sometimes words don't come across the screen as they are intended. Yes, I'm frickin ecstatic. I set expectations low and just do my best!

Matt....I believe that "spill over" is about cortisol. Stress is the major cause. Extreme diet change is stress. As are over training, lack of sleep, work, relationships, etc. Muscle separation and feathering are blured when this happens. "Water" or body fluids envade these areas and you look flat. In my case I did the opposite and dumped valuable fluids. When you saw me in Pitt 2010 I had lost 13 pounds in one week. What ever I ate went right thru me along with precious water. It was all stress with my late wife fighting for her life. She died a few weeks later. STRESS.

BTW I continue to be impressed with your progress. Proud to know you.

Baldie

Thanks Bill. I remember your contest in 2010. That was a shame. Proud to know you as well!!

Hopefully the other masters will give some input. Joel, Rick and Gary's experiences would be great to hear about.

I think my plan is working. I'm just doing mirror inspection and watching the scale every morning and deciding what to do from there. I can tolerate alot of carbs probably due to my 'supplements'

Anyway, here's a quick couple shots of where I am right now. 2 gallons of water and lotsa food in ma belly...;)

HeavyDutyGuy
11-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Looking good Matt! Sharp. Good luck to you! (PS those of us with IPhones or IPads etc. are finding it near inpossible to post. This was a cut and paste job.

Mac
11-03-2012, 12:28 PM
James, in the lower left corner of this page you can select the Mobile skin making it much easier to post from your iOS device.

It says PharmaFreak, select Default Mobile Style

HeavyDutyGuy
11-04-2012, 04:58 PM
James, in the lower left corner of this page you can select the Mobile skin making it much easier to post from your iOS device.

It says PharmaFreak, select Default Mobile Style
You are correct sir! Thank you.

Down4whatever
11-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Ok, quick note. Placed 3rd/11 in Masters over 40 and placed 4th/11 in Novice Heavyweight. Fields were deeper than expected.....also contest was the biggest in Oklahoma in the history of the NPC at 215 competitors. Crazy!

So, Keith was right....I got my trophy :D

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y455/mwry/21ffec1fcc808eb33948089b7b4dccb8_zps4dc31178.jpg

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y455/mwry/a7a9c37d281b96dc39f3cb743e97e896_zpsedcabb11.jpg

masterschamp
11-05-2012, 01:59 PM
AND.....I believe the next trophy you get will say FIRST PLACE on it!.....never told you I was a shaman did I? :)

Keith

Hammerfit
11-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Ok, quick note. Placed 3rd/11 in Masters over 40 and placed 4th/11 in Novice Heavyweight. Fields were deeper than expected.....also contest was the biggest in Oklahoma in the history of the NPC at 215 competitors. Crazy!

So, Keith was right....I got my trophy :D

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y455/mwry/21ffec1fcc808eb33948089b7b4dccb8_zps4dc31178.jpg

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y455/mwry/a7a9c37d281b96dc39f3cb743e97e896_zpsedcabb11.jpg

Awesome job dude! You looked great and glad to see that smile on your face. It's all about how you feel about yourself anyway. Again great great job!!!!!!!!

Mac
11-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Congratulations Matt. You look great!

Down4whatever
11-06-2012, 11:04 AM
AND.....I believe the next trophy you get will say FIRST PLACE on it!.....never told you I was a shaman did I? :)

Keith

Haha, thanks Keith. It's gonna be a while (if at all) before I step on stage again.

Awesome job dude! You looked great and glad to see that smile on your face. It's all about how you feel about yourself anyway. Again great great job!!!!!!!!

Thank you brother! You did damn good yourself!

Congratulations Matt. You look great!

Thanks Steve, I appreciate it man!