PDA

View Full Version : ? is your WORST lift

tjoe
04-29-2009, 04:13 PM
OK lets hear em"! What is the one lift that you struggle the most with?

I am far from the strongest/biggest guy on here but may be able to help a bit. I also hope some others will jump in when they can. Everybody has a lift that they are "good" at... we don't want to hear about that in this thread.

For example: I am a pretty good deadlifter (as long as I make it a priority). SO I doubt anyone wants to hear advice "from me" on how to increase a pull. I don't have to do anything special! However, I do not considermyself to be a good bencher (410 all time best). I had to fight and kick for every pound of that 410 and if I don't focus on it... bye-bye. Therefore if you think 410 is "not so bad" then maybe my advice would help you out (since I had to fight for it as well).

I assume everyone hear is trying to improve on one lift or another... so lets see if we can't help each other out a bit! :beerbang:

BigJD69
04-29-2009, 04:54 PM
Never been a good bench presser, always had bad shoulders from playing F-Ball. My best was at 195lbs 405, but that was years ago.

Skeptic
04-29-2009, 04:55 PM
Shoulder press.

robert da strongman
04-29-2009, 05:06 PM
all of them

Suzy Brown
04-29-2009, 05:28 PM
None of my lifts are worst BECASE

IM HARTCORED MOTHERSCRACTHERS

JAR OF NATTY
04-29-2009, 05:34 PM
bench....:mad:

SUMO
04-29-2009, 05:41 PM
Deadlift. I was made to bench and squat lol

Ninja Loco
04-29-2009, 05:42 PM
Bench
Curls
squats
Delt presses, although my laterals are almost as heavy as my presses. Damned close I'd say.

RDFinders
04-29-2009, 06:16 PM
bent over rows freestyle - cannot seem to get over 135 lbs solid for more than 4 reps.

SUMO
04-29-2009, 06:30 PM
bent over rows freestyle - cannot seem to get over 135 lbs solid for more than 4 reps.
Is it your back or grip?

RDFinders
04-29-2009, 07:21 PM
Is it your back or grip?
it is my mind. i have done overhand - narrow, wide and medium grips. i have done - underhand - narrow, wide and medium grips. i so prefer to use the smith machine, but my trainer is not allowing it.

Strikerrjones
04-29-2009, 07:45 PM
OK lets hear em"! What is the one lift that you struggle the most with?

I am far from the strongest/biggest guy on here but may be able to help a bit. I also hope some others will jump in when they can. Everybody has a lift that they are "good" at... we don't want to hear about that in this thread.

For example: I am a pretty good deadlifter (as long as I make it a priority). SO I doubt anyone wants to hear advice "from me" on how to increase a pull. I don't have to do anything special! However, I do not considermyself to be a good bencher (410 all time best). I had to fight and kick for every pound of that 410 and if I don't focus on it... bye-bye. Therefore if you think 410 is "not so bad" then maybe my advice would help you out (since I had to fight for it as well).

I assume everyone hear is trying to improve on one lift or another... so lets see if we can't help each other out a bit! :beerbang:

I'm pretty weak on benching too. I think it isn't too bad proportionately to my other lifts (I'm pretty small and weak all over still), but whereas my other lifts continue to increase at a steady rate my bench press stays the same week after week, month after month. I was looking through an old training journal, and I barely bench press more now than I did two years ago.

tjoe
04-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Deadlift. I was made to bench and squat lolbecause I've seen you mention that you are 350+ I would say that may be part of the reason. Many "bigger" lifters have said that when they get heavier their bench and squat go up but the deadlift drops. it's the one movement that can be hurt by added bodyweight whereas the other two (sq and bench) incrrease due to better leverage.

Shoulder press.any particular press? bar, db standing, seated? fail at the bottom or top of the movement?

bent over rows freestyle - cannot seem to get over 135 lbs solid for more than 4 reps.is this weight on par with your other bodyparts? how about db rows?

I'm pretty weak on benching too. I think it isn't too bad proportionately to my other lifts (I'm pretty small and weak all over still), but whereas my other lifts continue to increase at a steady rate my bench press stays the same week after week, month after month. I was looking through an old training journal, and I barely bench press more now than I did two years ago.The bold makes me think that it may be in the WAY that you are training your bench. If other lifts are increasing, then other variables can be eliminated such as diet, recuperation etc. Those things must be up to par or ALL you lifts would be suffering. Are you benching for a big bench or a big chest? and what r u doing for a bench routine?

RDFinders
04-30-2009, 07:19 AM
is this weight on par with your other bodyparts? how about db rows?
not at all, which is how i know it is a mental block i have about the exercise. for DB rows i have gotten up to 80s for 8. i regularly do 70-75 for 10-15 depending on if i have to rep it out that day. mentally, i don't like the movement. but if i just ignore my feelings and just do it i can crank out 10 fine with 135 lbs and i have gotten 185 lbs for 5. my trainer has me doing more reps now with the current figure standards and i am not enjoying it. i still must maintain a high degree of reps with slightly less weight these days.

tjoe
05-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Well everybody got the first part - What's your worst lift?
But nobody helped with the second part yet - Tips to help out.
Probably because 90% of them refer tot the bench :(

Well here is what helped me out over the years (not that I'm a huge bencher):
Negatives - Only one good negative per workout. Should be about 10% more than your max. VERY controlled on the way down and I used to try to hold it just slightly over the chest for as long as possible *Warning* if you do the hold at the end, be sure you have a GREAT spotter as you will be cooked!!

Bench heavy - Sounds simple but sets of 8-10 are NOT going to crank up your max like heavy triples! You have to get used to feeling that heavy weight.

Twice a week - I did this for a while as well. I could only go for about 6-8 weeks benching twice per week before I started getting burned out. What I did like was how "tight" everything got over that period. I just felt "ready to press" all the time. Very good for confidence under the bar (which can go a very long way).

Don't miss - Many strength athletes do NOT train to failure! Some say it would "train the body to fail". Others cite the increased stress on the CNS. This is one thing I have probably followed the longest (I feel I am stronger than I look, rather than looking stronger than I actually am). My training partner used to get mad because whenever I "tried" for a new PR... I would always get it!

Technique - Very different ways to bench depending on the goal (big chest or strong bench). For a strong bench - arch, tuck elbows, pull apart the bar, retract shoulder blades, drive traps into the bench etc. A lot more goes into a BIG bench than just up and down (unless your a genetic freak of course).

Triceps - Actually the main mover in a Monster bench press! Train them as such!!

Lats/back - The second big mover in a big bench. Your lats actually help the initial "drive" off the chest at the bottom. Rear delts are also very important and OFTEN neglected!! Don't make that mistake.

Front delts/chest - obviously important but less than many people might think (in terms of big numbers anyway).

Overhead presses - Experiment. Some lifters say they limit these due to the overlap with the bench (gets to be too much when heavy benching is a priority) while I have heard others say that overheads really help their bench. You won't know hwta group you fall into until you try. I would say that if you are doing a twice per week bench routine, overheads may be a bad idea. But if you press heavy once a week maybe they could help.

Biceps/Forearms - Look at the arms on 5, 6, 7 or 800 pound bencher. You may find the excepetion but there is a good chance that guy has a set of guns! Big full biceps help in the leverage at the bottom of the lift. Strong forearms/grip help you to squeeze the bar tighter. The tighter your grip, the more control you have over the bar (important when your talking big singles). I also saw one study that implied a "tight grip" can make the weight "feel/seem" up to 10% lighter. It would be nice if 405 always felt like 365 :D

Hopefully some of these will help out a bit. Maybe something you haven't thought of or maybe even knew... but never put inot effect.

I didn't even touch on the importance of diet and rest but hopefully you guys know that part already. BUT, when pushing for your best numbers ever, diet and rest need even more attention than usual!!

One of my best pre-workout meals when I was making BIG progress on my deadlift... Oatmeal, made with milk and a large TBSP of PB mixed in. ABout 60-90 minutes prior to training. That worked GREAT!

:beerbang:

realmccoy
05-02-2009, 11:33 AM
the squat

Mouse
05-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Lats/back - The second big mover in a big bench. Your lats actually help the initial "drive" off the chest at the bottom. Rear delts are also very important and OFTEN neglected!! Don't make that mistake.

It's funny you say that because years ago I never would have believed it. Over the years I've made a few adjustments to my bench form (pinching shoulders back, tightening up my back, etc) which have helped me inch my numbers up. It's clear that your back is involved as the next day I'm also sore in my back as well as pecs. Some might argue that this is one reason why the barbell bench press isn't the optimal exercise choice for chest development but you're right. The back does come out of play midway through the movement where the focus is more tris/pecs.

Sistersteel
05-02-2009, 01:43 PM
I struggle with meeting the bar on a squat clean. I tend to power up the weight and ride the bar down. That has made it impossible to improve my clean and jerk and remain injury free. Basically if I cannot power clean a weight, I won't be squat cleaning it.

SS

Frosty
05-02-2009, 01:45 PM
My weakest squat relatively is definitely the ass to grass back squat. I haven't done back squats really heavy in a while, but the best I ever did ass to grass was 360x2. Put that in perspective my best close grip bench is 335.

When I'm done cutting I plan on doing a squat specialization program where I cut back just to maintenance for upper body and just squat a shit ton doing 10x2-3. One thing I like for driving up a lift is just beating my body into the ground doing the lift twice a day for at least 3 days in a row, then taking off and eating. I'll see how this works when the time comes. I imagine I will see overall gains in my body if I can drive my squat up 100 lbs or more.

Frosty
05-02-2009, 01:49 PM
I struggle with meeting the bar on a squat clean. I tend to power up the weight and ride the bar down. That has made it impossible to improve my clean and jerk and remain injury free. Basically if I cannot power clean a weight, I won't be squat cleaning it.

SS

Are you pulling too long? Sometimes when people get really used to a power clean, they are pulling a lot longer than you would when you do a full clean. The hard part is getting the entire pull essentially done by the time it hits your belly button, and rely on the upward momentum to carry it up while you pretty much pull yourself down under the bar to catch it.

What's the limiting factor? Is it speed in getting under the bar? Is it front squat strength? Is it flexibility? Is it technical challenge? Catching a heavy descending bar in the front squat position with your ass nearly leaving a stain on the floor requires tremendous flexibility in the hips, back, and even calves.

Frosty
05-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Here is a freakish way I drove my close grip bench up over 100 lbs....

I really liked 10x3. I would do it about 9 times a week for 2 weeks, then take 5 days completely off eating a ton of food. It was strange...it was like my nervous system was really "learning" the lift and my strength would go up during this cycle. Then I would take the days off and come back and start at a higher number and work my way up again. Sounds crazy but it worked for me extremely well. I was always a weak bencher but this caused massive improvement.

robert da strongman
05-02-2009, 02:40 PM
my pressing (overhead and bench) sucked horrible. i just learned how to do both properly. now i am proud of both lifts, but i still have room to improve.

benching proper requires a ton of technique. so many people forget to use the legs. yes..legs do come into play for benching.

Frosty
05-02-2009, 03:28 PM
I had a tough time with bench setup until I started doing it more like this:

YouTube - bench monster ryan kennelly lifts 1050

I slide up the bench so my head and neck are hanging off with my feet on the ground, I grab the bar in the grip I want then I slide my body down into position with an arch keeping my feet in place. Sets up great and I get great foot position for drive each time!

RDFinders
05-02-2009, 03:30 PM
my pressing (overhead and bench) sucked horrible. i just learned how to do both properly. now i am proud of both lifts, but i still have room to improve.

benching proper requires a ton of technique. so many people forget to use the legs. yes..legs do come into play for benching.
this is so true. i remember when i was doing 225 lbs for 2, i had my entire body involved - tight abs, tight lats, squeezing my glutes and legs hard to power the weight up. it doesn't sound like it is right, but when you are really progressing to get up heavier weight, your entire body is involved. which is something i have forgotten with my trainer having me do lighter weights! IT SUCKS!!!!! i love to lift heavy.

Sistersteel
05-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Are you pulling too long? Sometimes when people get really used to a power clean, they are pulling a lot longer than you would when you do a full clean. The hard part is getting the entire pull essentially done by the time it hits your belly button, and rely on the upward momentum to carry it up while you pretty much pull yourself down under the bar to catch it.

What's the limiting factor? Is it speed in getting under the bar? Is it front squat strength? Is it flexibility? Is it technical challenge? Catching a heavy descending bar in the front squat position with your ass nearly leaving a stain on the floor requires tremendous flexibility in the hips, back, and even calves.

My snatch is impeccable and that is a much more technical lift that requires far more skill and flexibility than a squat clean. Bar speed, explosiveness and flexibility are perfect. You can hardly follow the transition from one pull to the next it happens so fast. Plus when I am in the hole, I hit tight and deep always and the bar falls right in the slot. So its not flexibility nor speed that are missing.

I can front squat far more than I will ever be able to clean, so leg strength is not the issue either.

I honestly think the limiting factor is the fact that the power clean comes far more naturally to me, so I tend to subconsciously rely on my arms too much when I should be using my legs.

The problem in rectifying that is, once you get to the knees after the first pull the bar moves faster than your brain, so you cannot exactly slow it down and think about it. You just have to do it. Its a habit I am having trouble breaking.

So, yes, I think I am pulling the bar far too high and trying to catch it rather than pulling it just enough to meet it halfway and riding it down to the floor.

Frosty
05-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Sistersteel, do you think it might help when doing your clean to focus mostly on just getting the hip pop and diving under the bar? This might help you reduce the arms assisting so much and lengthening the time of the pull since you'd be focusing just on the hip pop. Just an idea.

RDFinders
05-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Sistersteel, do you think it might help when doing your clean to focus mostly on just getting the hip pop and diving under the bar? This might help you reduce the arms assisting so much and lengthening the time of the pull since you'd be focusing just on the hip pop. Just an idea.
that is a good point. when i was doing my clean n jerks, i would forget about getting underneath. but when i did the weight almost moved itself. this is a really good thread!

Sistersteel
05-02-2009, 06:32 PM

I can try. If I start thinking of diving under the bar, I won't finish my second pull and then I end up sneaking under the bar rather than use the bar to pull myself under it. I also have trouble gauging how much force to put into the second pull. If I pull with too much force, the bar comes crashing down on me rather than rack itself smoothly on my clavicles. That has made me inconsistent with my technique between lighter weight and heavy ass barbells. My body and the bar seem to operate separately rather than in a single fluid motion like on my snatch.

RDFinders
05-02-2009, 06:49 PM
I can try. If I start thinking of diving under the bar, I won't finish my second pull and then I end up sneaking under the bar rather than use the bar to pull myself under it. I also have trouble gauging how much force to put into the second pull. If I pull with too much force, the bar comes crashing down on me rather than rack itself smoothly on my clavicles. That has made me inconsistent with my technique between lighter weight and heavy ass barbells. My body and the bar seem to operate separately rather than in a single fluid motion like on my snatch.
i feel you. i have popped myself several times on the chin doing cleans when getting underneath it. but if i don't do that, my technique and then the results i want really suffer. i think it is really about the timing of the movement. but hey, i am new to the powerlifting/football training moves.

tjoe
05-02-2009, 07:29 PM
I really liked 10x3. I would do it about 9 times a week for 2 weeks, then take 5 days completely off eating a ton of food. It was strange...it was like my nervous system was really "learning" the lift and my strength would go up during this cycle. Then I would take the days off and come back and start at a higher number and work my way up again. Sounds crazy but it worked for me extremely well. I was always a weak bencher but this caused massive improvement.Bold - an old prison training system. Sometimes they would train the same thing for weeks on end... then when progress stopped they would move to another movement for weeks on end. That rotation "overtrained" one muscle group but then when you switched and the previous muscle rested the adaption seemed to take place and grow like a weed.
Underlined - not strange at all. That is EXACTLY what is happening! As Pavel the mad Russian would say "greasing the groove".

this is a really good thread!:D This makes tjoe happy!

Mouse - thanks bro! I have to put a LOT of work into my bench so I have done my research!!

Sistersteel - I wish I could help you more but I have just enough Oly knowledge to squeak by. I do know that they practice for HOURS however and as quoted above "greasing the groove" would be VERY beneficial in your scenario. BUT that high volume should be mixed with something else I mentioned (in the benching post). DO NOT MISS!! Go with whatever weight allows perfect technique and KILL the volume!! Before long the perfect execution will be second nature.

tjoe
05-02-2009, 07:31 PM
the squatwhat part of the lift? what's you current max? have a video on youtube?

RDFinders
05-02-2009, 07:32 PM
tjoe

since you are more on the powerlifting side and technique. can you go through cleans, snatchs and the like? my technique is up and down sometimes. i know mentality has a lot to do with it, but it is good to see it in print.

tjoe
05-02-2009, 07:56 PM
tjoe

since you are more on the powerlifting side and technique. can you go through cleans, snatchs and the like? my technique is up and down sometimes. i know mentality has a lot to do with it, but it is good to see it in print.I'd like to... but I won't. I do not have enough expereince to do them justice in print (type:p)
Since you did mention that you seem to be "up and down" with them and mentality... I will say this. Try to get into a routine with them. Not only a training routine but your daily routine prior to training. Try to train at the same time, same gym, have the same pre workout drink, listen to the same CD before hand etc. It sounds very trivial but can make a significant difference over time.

edit: Oh yeah... keep reps at 4 or less! training your technique when fatigued is a bad idea!

RDFinders
05-02-2009, 08:06 PM
I'd like to... but I won't. I do not have enough expereince to do them justice in print (type:p)
Since you did mention that you seem to be "up and down" with them and mentality... I will say this. Try to get into a routine with them. Not only a training routine but your daily routine prior to training. Try to train at the same time, same gym, have the same pre workout drink, listen to the same CD before hand etc. It sounds very trivial but can make a significant difference over time.

edit: Oh yeah... keep reps at 4 or less! training your technique when fatigued is a bad idea!thanks for the tip. i have been training at the same gym, etc, etc. i just notice when my confidence isn't there, it is hard to mentally get there with the movement. and now that my prep starts soon, cleans, etc are out of my regimen for the time being.

Sistersteel
05-03-2009, 01:39 AM
Go with whatever weight allows perfect technique and KILL the volume!! Before long the perfect execution will be second nature.

My thoughts exactly. 55 humble kilos on that bar all day long baby.

BrotherIron
05-03-2009, 01:04 PM
The lift which I want to focus on the most this year would be squatting. It's always been something which I felt was less than stellar. I've been going ass to ankles lately and it would appear to be helping quite alot. I am also recruiting alot of help from SS and my Oly lifting buds to help me out and so far so good. I'm also doing alot of Oly assistance movements which seem to be helping as well. These guy really know how to think outside the box.

tjoe
05-03-2009, 02:22 PM
The lift which I want to focus on the most this year would be squatting. It's always been something which I felt was less than stellar. I've been going ass to ankles lately and it would appear to be helping quite alot. I am also recruiting alot of help from SS and my Oly lifting buds to help me out and so far so good. I'm also doing alot of Oly assistance movements which seem to be helping as well. These guy really know how to think outside the box. Share BrotherIron, Share!

It's why we are here bro, to help each other out. What is your goal as far as squatting goes? Big single, something for reps, to the floor or just parallel? Where are you at right now? etc. etc.

robert da strongman
05-03-2009, 02:27 PM
now i know i can clean a log with 295lbs on it but i can barely manage 225 on a bar.

i need some speed i suppose....

RDFinders
05-03-2009, 02:27 PM
on squatting - does anyone foam roll and train their core to help with their lifting ability? i noticed that i am very tight or can be in my IT band which will limit your ability to go parallel or below. two - when i started doing half deadlifts and strengthening my abs, i was able to stay more erect with my lift. gradually my focus was able to shift towards increasing the weight i could use. i eventually got to 285 lbs for 3, but i was still scared to break parallel when i did it. but i am confident with 225 lbs b/c of the strength i built in my core. i ask this b/c i see sooooooooooo many guys in the gym lifting improperly on a very core movement.

tjoe
05-03-2009, 02:28 PM
yep, two different animals. I like the log because you can "roll" it up. The bar you have to be quick... and the axle I just don't like!!! Haha

robert da strongman
05-03-2009, 02:30 PM
yeah the axles are evil...next comp has one as part of a medley. 275lbs....dont know if i even want to try it.

robert da strongman
05-03-2009, 02:32 PM
on squatting - does anyone foam roll and train their core to help with their lifting ability? i noticed that i am very tight or can be in my IT band which will limit your ability to go parallel or below. two - when i started doing half deadlifts and strengthening my abs, i was able to stay more erect with my lift. gradually my focus was able to shift towards increasing the weight i could use. i eventually got to 285 lbs for 3, but i was still scared to break parallel when i did it. but i am confident with 225 lbs b/c of the strength i built in my core. i ask this b/c i see sooooooooooo many guys in the gym lifting improperly on a very core movement.

elite fitness and westside have some good techniques for keeping the body upright.
my problem was hips...learned to stretch them and began using a low box

tjoe
05-03-2009, 02:32 PM
on squatting - does anyone foam roll and train their core to help with their lifting ability? i noticed that i am very tight or can be in my IT band which will limit your ability to go parallel or below. two - when i started doing half deadlifts and strengthening my abs, i was able to stay more erect with my lift. gradually my focus was able to shift towards increasing the weight i could use. i eventually got to 285 lbs for 3, but i was still scared to break parallel when i did it. but i am confident with 225 lbs b/c of the strength i built in my core. i ask this b/c i see sooooooooooo many guys in the gym lifting improperly on a very core movement.Bold - nope I think my core is good FROM my 600+ pulls and 500+ squats. and rack pulls will help a bit, BUT they will NOT increase your confidence when dunking a big squat (cause you don't get that low in a rack pull).

Frosty
05-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Stretching and foam rolling helped me increase my hip flexibility so I can properly front squat as deep as possible. That helped my strength go up.

RDFinders
05-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Bold - nope I think my core is good FROM my 600+ pulls and 500+ squats. and rack pulls will help a bit, BUT they will NOT increase your confidence when dunking a big squat (cause you don't get that low in a rack pull).

that def helps and as this is your sport i can see how that has def built your core specifically to your lifts. but some of us may need some extra help. :p

Stretching and foam rolling helped me increase my hip flexibility so I can properly front squat as deep as possible. That helped my strength go up.

elite fitness and westside have some good techniques for keeping the body upright.
my problem was hips...learned to stretch them and began using a low box
robert - i will check out those sites. thanks for the information.

frosty - i think we sometimes overlook muscle imbalances and some inflexibility that still may be present. i have an off shoulder and hip which limits my squatting and leg press ability. i will move to the right when squatting if i haven't had a core massage as well.

frosty and robert - i would highly recommend getting assessed by a core massage therapist or rolfer. it has done wonders on getting my muscles back in order.

Frosty
05-03-2009, 02:58 PM
Been somewhat searching for a good rolfing massage therapist. I should get back into searching for one because it SHOULD increase strength if they're good.

RDFinders
05-03-2009, 03:05 PM
it has helped me a lot. they are hard to find b/c not everyone specializes in it. i don't like going through the massage, but afterwards, i could kiss the ground that man walks on. lol! i noticed that when i would squat, i would put more weight on my right leg as a result of the imbalance, which will hinder progress.

Been somewhat searching for a good rolfing massage therapist. I should get back into searching for one because it SHOULD increase strength if they're good.

robert da strongman
05-03-2009, 03:07 PM
the techniques are simple....
head back into the bar
push elbows forward when coming up

they also use a lot of posterior chain exercises such as good mornings

BrotherIron
05-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Share BrotherIron, Share!

It's why we are here bro, to help each other out. What is your goal as far as squatting goes? Big single, something for reps, to the floor or just parallel? Where are you at right now? etc. etc.

My biggest goal is too just stay healthy, lol. I would like to break the 7 barrier in the squat for a single, raw at my current weight. I train ass to ankles so below parallel but I realize that it's not wise for me to go that deep once I am lifting heavy due to my knee surgeries. Before my injuries which plagued me last year I was squatting 585 for an easy triple raw (only go to parralel though). I wear a belt but no straps, wraps, suit or anything. I'm about as strong as I was before but lighter. I'm weighing in at 265lbs these days which is 10lbs less than where I usually stay.

As for assistance exercises I do alot of snatch pulls, high pulls, RDL in the snatch position. Of course Front Squats and SLD on the platform to hit the muscle completely. These all add strength in the back and legs which transitions to lifting heavier. I have also notice that my deadlift is increasing quite rapidly from it as well but I have always had a big deadlift.

Frosty
05-03-2009, 04:39 PM
the techniques are simple....
head back into the bar
push elbows forward when coming up

they also use a lot of posterior chain exercises such as good mornings

I love good mornings. Wide stance, narrow stance, whatever. I think they are huge into making you a brickshithouse for squatting and deadlifting.

tjoe
05-03-2009, 04:40 PM
very nice numbers.
I missed 585 once... Haha!
That's a goal of mine but not right now (couple strongman events this year to focus on).
I was getting 495 for a good set of 5 at the time I just missed the 585. Weighed about 216lbs.

Is the 7 barrier a goal you are currently working towards?

tjoe
05-03-2009, 04:41 PM
I love good mornings. Wide stance, narrow stance, whatever. I think they are huge into making you a brickshithouse for squatting and deadlifting.agreed. very beneficial to the squat and dead not to mention a variety of strongman events! Excellent movement.

BrotherIron
05-03-2009, 04:45 PM
very nice numbers.
I missed 585 once... Haha!
That's a goal of mine but not right now (couple strongman events this year to focus on).
I was getting 495 for a good set of 5 at the time I just missed the 585. Weighed about 216lbs.

Is the 7 barrier a goal you are currently working towards?

Yeah it's something I'm working for squats and deads actually. I'm more confident about me hitting it on deads than squats to tell you the truth. I have to watch out b/c my knees ache at times from lifting heavy when I squat.

I'll probably start wearing sleeves on my more maximum lifts to help add support to my knees since I'm lighter and I don't want to overly strain them.

It helps to train at a gym that has lifters like Caleb Williams there. He set the WR Squat at his weight. 145lbs or so and has a 723lb squat. He's a freak.

The Big Sexy
05-03-2009, 04:47 PM
I'd probably say Deadlifts, for a "worst" lift for me. 1st, I hardly ever do them... I do "rack" deads - but they aren't nearly as hard IMO.

I always have a hard time setting up at the bottom part of the motion... getting my feet position right... I think hip flexibility has something to do with it too... but I can't seem to get a good PUSH out of the bottom part of the motion.

Sucks too - because I know they are a great mass builder.

robert da strongman
05-03-2009, 04:49 PM
I'd probably say Deadlifts, for a "worst" lift for me. 1st, I hardly ever do them... I do "rack" deads - but they aren't nearly as hard IMO.

I always have a hard time setting up at the bottom part of the motion... getting my feet position right... I think hip flexibility has something to do with it too... but I can't seem to get a good PUSH out of the bottom part of the motion.

Sucks too - because I know they are a great mass builder.

sit back on your heels and keep your head up.
you can extend the pull by standing on plates or blocks

The Big Sexy
05-03-2009, 04:51 PM
sit back on your heels and keep your head up.
you can extend the pull by standing on plates or blocks

Do you hit your shins when you do it that way?? It seems (or it doesn't seem - it DOES lol) that when I hit these at heavier weights I bang into my shins... I am not really a big POWER guy (PL/SM) so - I don't know if that is normal or not... LOL But I do see a lot of the brutes around with scared up shins... figured they were into soccer. :)

robert da strongman
05-03-2009, 04:52 PM
yeah you should drag it up your shins

if you dont want the scars wear long socks or neoprene sleeves over your shins

The Big Sexy
05-03-2009, 04:55 PM
yeah you should drag it up your shins

if you dont want the scars wear long socks or neoprene sleeves over your shins

I'll attempt this next time I try deads... I think you are right, when I think back to doing them, I'm almost leaning over the bar... I'd have my feet flat, but I'd be using a lot more of my lower back instead of my legs on the bottom part of the motion... and I think my head was always looking down at the bar.

Huh... this thread is a good one after all. :)

robert da strongman
05-03-2009, 05:00 PM
with your head down you round your back. removes the legs from the lift.

Sistersteel
05-03-2009, 05:01 PM
now i know i can clean a log with 295lbs on it but i can barely manage 225 on a bar.

i need some speed i suppose....

How do you clean that weight? Continental?

Sistersteel
05-03-2009, 05:02 PM

What kind of stretches Frosty?

robert da strongman
05-03-2009, 05:03 PM
How do you clean that weight? Continental?

i try to power clean it i suppose....
i definitely dont get under it.

Sistersteel
05-03-2009, 05:26 PM
i try to power clean it i suppose....
i definitely dont get under it.

That's a strong ass powerclean. What do you think makes it difficult for you to clean lighter weights on the bar though?

robert da strongman
05-03-2009, 06:05 PM
you can drag the log up your body....oh yeah so i am doing a continental...
so the bar. i need to get under it more.

tjoe
05-03-2009, 07:07 PM
Yeah it's something I'm working for squats and deads actually. I'm more confident about me hitting it on deads than squats to tell you the truth.Where are you at with your deads?

Sucks too - because I know they are a great mass builder.Fix this! Start doing them! DEEP squats will help the start of your deadlift. Doing deads will help your deadlift :D and yes you may rip up your shins. I have a great build for pulling and the bar never touches my shins at all. My brother in law rips his shins apart!

Huh... this thread is a good one after all. :)You doubted it would be??

How do you clean that weight? Continental?Logs are much easier to clean... IMO. Once you lap it, you kind of pull it into your body and "roll" it up. MUCH different than a bar.

Frosty
05-03-2009, 07:10 PM
What kind of stretches Frosty?

For me hip adductor stretches, locked knee toe touch, and also going to a very wide squat stance and squatting down as far as I can go and trying to go lower while holding my upper body in the perfect front squat position. But that's just what worked for me....helped me hold the right position when going as deep as I can with front squats.

SadFatty
05-03-2009, 07:12 PM
My worst lift is the bench press. I only do 60 pounds. I can do 90 pounds with squats however.

tjoe
05-03-2009, 07:20 PM
My worst lift is the bench press. I only do 60 pounds. I can do 90 pounds with squats however.Seem somewhat in porportion though. Give us some more info. height weight goals etc.

tjoe
05-03-2009, 07:23 PM
SS - Cleaning a log kinda looks like this:
I figure the angle on this vid was pretty good so you can see how it "rolls"

CpK8ekSlf_4

SadFatty
05-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Seem somewhat in porportion though. Give us some more info. height weight goals etc.
I am about 5 ft 4. I weight 145 although 3 weeks ago I was 150. I am weak compared to the girls here but I started squatting 45 and benching 50 so I have improved a bit.

I want to do a bikini contest and then one day a figure contest.

Squatting 90 is an incredible feeling....I love it. I leg press 185 approx...lunge with 30 pounds....deadlift with 80 pounds.....do good mornings with 60 but very carefully. Biceps between 10 and 15 in weight and triceps about 40-60 on cable machines.

I can decline 70 pound bench press which is my best chest lift. I am not strong but am working hard and seeing improvements slowly.

Frosty
05-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Seem somewhat in porportion though. Give us some more info. height weight goals etc.

Agreed. That's pretty proportional. Just need more strength in both.

robert da strongman
05-03-2009, 07:33 PM
I am about 5 ft 4. I weight 145 although 3 weeks ago I was 150. I am weak compared to the girls here but I started squatting 45 and benching 50 so I have improved a bit.

Squatting 90 is an incredible feeling....I love it. I leg press 185 approx...lunge with 30 pounds....deadlift with 80 pounds.....do good mornings with 60 but very carefully. Biceps between 10 and 15 in weight and triceps about 40-60 on cable machines.

I can decline 70 pound bench press which is my best chest lift. I am not strong but am working hard and seeing improvements slowly.

we all start somewhere. respectable lifts too.
and it is good you have a goal.

musclegoddess65
05-03-2009, 07:41 PM

don't think many of us ladies threw 45's on the bar our first time out and started lifting it... you've started AND made improvements, keep documenting and pushing yourself and you'll continue to see the numbers go up...:D

tjoe
05-03-2009, 08:41 PM

I can decline 70 pound bench press which is my best chest lift. I am not strong but am working hard and seeing improvements slowly.Good improvements so far! As much as I want to see everyone lift monster numbers... Keep YOUR goals in mind!! To compete in Bikini, I don't think you need a monster squat. That may actually hurt you (placing wise). It is great to have goals but always make sure that they help you towards the BIGGER goal you have set for yourself!
Seems like all your numbers are in decent porportion though... just keep adding strength everywhere and working toward those goals!!

Sistersteel
05-03-2009, 10:34 PM
SS - Cleaning a log kinda looks like this:
I figure the angle on this vid was pretty good so you can see how it "rolls"

CpK8ekSlf_4

Thanks tjoe! Lots of Strongmen train at the Olympic Weight Lifting Facility we train out of. I would imagine the neutral grip on that log makes is a lot easier to clean.

BrotherIron
05-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Where are you at with your deads?

Last time I went really heavy I got 285kilos for a double. That's 627lb I think in pounds. Everything done at Coffee's is always in kilo's so it's hard to think about it in pounds. lol

Deadlifting is something I'm built for. I have long arms, strong grip strentgh, and lower back as well as good hip flexibility so I get in the hole easily and drive that bar up. You can see my battle wounds from keeping dragging that bar against my shins. I always believed if you aint bleeding you aint doing deads right. Keeping the bar that close allows me to not worry at all about my back and also allows lift maximum weight. It's like doing cleans or snatches. The bar should travel in a straight line as close to your body as possible.

I am much more confident in my deads than my squats b/c I'm always worried about my knees when I squat real heavy but I don't think twice about it when it comes to deadlifting.

tjoe
05-04-2009, 08:57 AM
I always believed if you aint bleeding you aint doing deads right. Hmmm. I never hit my shins once :eek: I think it's just my structure though. I've pulled 655 for a single and 495 for a set of 12. No bloody shins.

BrotherIron
05-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Hmmm. I never hit my shins once :eek: I think it's just my structure though. I've pulled 655 for a single and 495 for a set of 12. No bloody shins.

Well if you kept the bar even closer to your body you would be able to pull more. Scientific fact bud the father the bar is from your body, even just inches, the more difficult it is to move the weight and the more strain is placed on the lower back.

tjoe
05-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Well if you kept the bar even closer to your body you would be able to pull more. Scientific fact bud the father the bar is from your body, even just inches, the more difficult it is to move the weight and the more strain is placed on the lower back.Now your gonna make me go back and watch my vids... see if I can get back more or if it's just my build...

BrotherIron
05-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Now your gonna make me go back and watch my vids... see if I can get back more or if it's just my build...

Check it and see. Perhaps it's right there at your shins and the bar isn't cutting ya. When I train at Coffee's (which is 99% of the time) I don't bleed b/c the bar doesn't have as much of a bite as well I have to train at La Fitness.

The bar should travel in a straight line just like when you do barbell clean & jerks or when you do barbell snatches. Have the bar stray just a little and the weight will feel like a ton, but keep it in the slot and it seems weightless and effortless.

BrotherIron
05-04-2009, 05:43 PM
And if you look you'll find everything is based back on Oly Lifting. West Side Barbell took it's method from the Bulgarian and Russian Oly Weightlifting Techniques as well as other popular methods nowadays.

Those Russians and Bulgarians can lift literally houses. You'll see 140lb lifters clean and jerk 400+lbs easily. They have perfected strength training imho.

smj091977
05-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Well everybody got the first part - What's your worst lift?
But nobody helped with the second part yet - Tips to help out.
Probably because 90% of them refer tot the bench :(

:beerbang:

Improve any lift with Anthony Clark's program!
The matrix is a program based on your one rep max. You go to the underlined 1rep max on the list below. Then you do the workout beneath it. first set is 8 reps, then 5, 3, 1, 1, 1 and 5 again. If you can get more than 1 on the last set of singles, do it. same with the last 5 set. Once you finish a workout and do everything, you may move to the next heavier one. if you miss any set, then keep that one until you complete it. Warm ups are recommended on your own, as are stretching and cool downs. "What is The Matrix?" "You think thats air you're breathing. You think my being stronger or faster has anything to do with my muscles, in this place?" anyway...

220-225
8-150
5-170
3-180
1-210
1-210
1-210
5-175

230-235
8-160
5-180
3-190
1-215
1-215
1-215
5-185

240-245
8-165
5-190
3-200
1-225
1-225
1-225
5-195

250-255
8-170
5-195
3-210
1-235
1-235
1-235
5-200

260-265
8-175
5-205
3-215
1-245
1-245
1-245
5-205

270-275
8-180
5-210
3-220
1-255
1-255
1-255
5-210

280-285
8-185
5-215
3-225
1-260
1-260
1-260
5-215

290-295
8-190
5-220
3-230
1-270
1-270
1-270
5-220

300-305
8-200
5-230
3-240
1-280
1-280
1-280
5-225

310-315
8-200
5-235
3-250
1-290
1-290
1-290
5-230

320-325
8-210
5-245
3-265
1-295
1-295
1-295
5-230

330-335
8-210
5-250
3-270
1-300
1-300
1-300
5-250

340-345
8-215
5-255
3-275
1-310
1-310
1-310
5-255

350-355
8-215
5-260
3-280
1-320
1-320
1-320
5-260

360-365
8-220
5-265
3-285
1-330
1-330
1-300
5-270

370-375
8-220
5-270
3-300
1-345
1-345
1-345
5-275

380-385
8-225
5-275
3-315
1-360
1-360
1-360
5-275

390-395
8-225
5-280
3-320
1-365
1-365
1-365
5-280

400-405
8-230
5-285
3-325
1-370
1-370
1-370
5-280

410-415
8-230
5-290
3-330
1-375
1-375
1-375
5-300

420-425
8-235
5-295
3-340
1-385
1-385
1-385
5-310

430-435
8-255
5-305
3-350
1-400
1-400
1-400
5-320

440-445
8-260
5-315
3-360
1-415
1-415
1-415
5-325

450-455
8-260
5-325
3-375
1-425
1-425
1-425
5-335

460-465
8-265
5-335
3-390
1-435
1-435
1-435
5-350

470-475
8-270
5-345
3-405
1-445
1-445
1-445
5-355

480-485
8-275
5-355
3-420
1-455
1-455
1-455
5-360

490-495
8-275
5-365
3-435
1-465
1-465
1-465
5-370

500-505
8-280
5-375
3-445
1-470
1-470
1-470
5-375

510-515
8-280
5-380
3-455
1-480
1-480
1-480
5-380

520-525
8-295
5-385
3-465
1-490
1-490
1-490
5-385

530-535
8-300
5-390
3-470
1-500
1-500
1-500
5-390

540-545
8-310
5-400
3-475
1-510
1-510
1-510
5-400

550-555
8-315
5-405
3-485
1-520
1-520
1-520
5-405

560-565
8-320
5-410
3-490
1-525
1-525
1-525
5-410

570-575
8-325
5-415
3-495
1-530
1-530
1-530

580-585
8-330
5-420
3-500
1-540
1-540
1-540
5-425

590-595
8-340
5-430
3-510
1-555
1-555
1-555
5-430

600-605
8-345
5-435
3-515
1-565
1-565
1-565
5-435

610-615
8-350
5-440
3-520
1-575
1-575
1-575
5-440

620-625
8-355
5-445
3-525
1-585
1-585
1-585
5-445

630-635
8-360
5-450
3-530
1-595
1-595
1-595
5-450

640-645
8-365
5-455
3-535
1-600
1-600
1-600
5-460

650-655
8-370
5-460
3-540
1-610
1-610
1-610
5-470

660-665
8-385
5-480
3-550
1-625
1-625
1-625
5-480

670-675
8-390
5-490
3-555
1-635
1-635
1-635
5-490

680-685
8-395
5-500
3-560
1-645
1-645
1-645
5-500

700-705(690-695 got skipped somehow)
8-400
5-505
3-565
1-665
1-665
1-665
5-505

710-715
8-405
5-510
3-570
1-675
1-675
1-675
5-510

720-725
8-410
5-515
3-580
1-685
1-685
1-685
5-515

730-735
8-420
5-520
3-585
1-700
1-700
1-700
5-525

If you have a greater 1 rep max, and want the next scale... screw that, post your workout for me! heh heh actually thats it, as high as it goes. honestly just add 5lbs to the 8 and 5 sets, 5, 10, 15 to the 3 and 1 sets. so the next would be 425, 525, 590, 705, 705, 705, okay
um looks something like this

8 +5
5 +5 or +10 on the 8th increase
3 +5 next, +10 after, +15 3rd increase, then +5, This is a repeating theme here on the program go up 30lbs every three workouts, I hope I am explaining this right.
1 +5 next, +10 after, +15 3rd increase, then +5,
5 +5 or 10

but um honestly if you are in this range, you already have a few great programs.

tjoe
05-11-2009, 03:15 PM
haha!! That is the one I use quite a bit. I actually re-did all the numbers though. If you look at the numbers you posted, the single jump by 10lbs and sometimes 15!! That isd a big jump on the singles. The way I redid the sheet now has the singles jumping 10lbs. (mostly) and in some weeks only 5! I also rounded all the warm ups down to the nearest 5 lbs. and the singles up to the nearest 5 lbs. Then instead of 5 at the end, you just rep it out for as many as possible. It works very well for a lot of people.

exit2010
05-11-2009, 04:10 PM
My worst is the barbell bench press. I must have horrible technique for my size I should be way higher than I am.

smj091977
05-14-2009, 11:12 AM
haha!! That is the one I use quite a bit. I actually re-did all the numbers though. If you look at the numbers you posted, the single jump by 10lbs and sometimes 15!! That isd a big jump on the singles. The way I redid the sheet now has the singles jumping 10lbs. (mostly) and in some weeks only 5! I also rounded all the warm ups down to the nearest 5 lbs. and the singles up to the nearest 5 lbs. Then instead of 5 at the end, you just rep it out for as many as possible. It works very well for a lot of people.

Tjoe, I have reworked the 15 pound jumps a bit too, I do the same workout up to the 3 sets and 1 sets. Instead of going the 15 pound jump I go 5 or 10. I may have to do the same workout a few times, but I don't get stuck as often anymore. :lift:

weightgain4000
05-16-2009, 01:54 AM
Bench; god I hate having long ape arms...until I pull of course.

lilfella
07-01-2009, 07:43 PM
I am stoked to try that system.

crashcrew56
07-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Last time I went really heavy I got 285kilos for a double. That's 627lb I think in pounds. Everything done at Coffee's is always in kilo's so it's hard to think about it in pounds. lol

Deadlifting is something I'm built for. I have long arms, strong grip strentgh, and lower back as well as good hip flexibility so I get in the hole easily and drive that bar up. You can see my battle wounds from keeping dragging that bar against my shins. I always believed if you aint bleeding you aint doing deads right. Keeping the bar that close allows me to not worry at all about my back and also allows lift maximum weight. It's like doing cleans or snatches. The bar should travel in a straight line as close to your body as possible.

I am much more confident in my deads than my squats b/c I'm always worried about my knees when I squat real heavy but I don't think twice about it when it comes to deadlifting.

I don't bleed, and I always make sure the bar is up against my shins when I deadlift and I never bleed, maybe it's because I pull sumo style on not conventional.

Equipped bench press is my worst lift, I have a lot of trouble with my form, a lot of the time I touch the bar too low

tjoe
07-01-2009, 08:51 PM
pulled my 585 x 3 today and it didn't even graze me. I am convinced it's just my bodies geometry. My training partner on the other hand... bleedin good.

toddbz
07-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Yeah for me I destroy my shins and even the bottom on my knee caps if I don't wear sleeves on deads. Long legs and a not so long torso and a very pointy tibia.

Worst lift by far is standing over head press. Just can never seem to tilt my pelvis right to take the pressure off my lower back. Even warm up weight just kills it

bigem225
07-02-2009, 05:45 PM
Front Squats... i just can't get used to the positioning of the bar it always hurts my front delt heads

gman
07-02-2009, 05:57 PM
My front squats suck too. I might be able to do 115 on a good day. I either choke my windpipe off, or roll the bar down my arms.

Followed closely by bench press. I can rep 225 2-3x, that's it. I can dead 405 for 3-4 reps. Have never maxed on squats because I don't have a spotter, but I am pretty comfortable squatting 265 3-4 times.

robert da strongman
07-02-2009, 05:58 PM
Front Squats... i just can't get used to the positioning of the bar it always hurts my front delt heads

My front squats suck too. I might be able to do 115 on a good day. I either choke my windpipe off, or roll the bar down my arms.

Followed closely by bench press. I can rep 225 2-3x, that's it. I can dead 405 for 3-4 reps. Have never maxed on squats because I don't have a spotter, but I am pretty comfortable squatting 265 3-4 times.

do you hold the bar crossed arms or in the rack position?

gman
07-02-2009, 06:00 PM
I have tried both, the rack position is a wrist breaker. I feel better with the crossed arms but the bar invariably rolls down my arms.

robert da strongman
07-02-2009, 06:15 PM
I have tried both, the rack position is a wrist breaker. I feel better with the crossed arms but the bar invariably rolls down my arms.

would say try them in a zercher position...in the crook of the arm and lower on the body. but those hurt like hell.

BrotherIron
07-02-2009, 06:37 PM
I started to do front squats like Oly Lifters and have seen my front squat numbers soar. Crossing your arms will never get you to lift as much as you would if you did them like Oly Lifters do. You will probably notice that if you have big arms you'll have to work on stretching your wrists and getting them more flexible to be able to do them that way but once you do you'll see a night and day difference in terms of weight lifted.

robert da strongman
07-02-2009, 06:50 PM
I started to do front squats like Oly Lifters and have seen my front squat numbers soar. Crossing your arms will never get you to lift as much as you would if you did them like Oly Lifters do. You will probably notice that if you have big arms you'll have to work on stretching your wrists and getting them more flexible to be able to do them that way but once you do you'll see a night and day difference in terms of weight lifted.

do you stand with your feet wide or close?

fatbackgoal
07-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Easily has to be squat. At 6'5" I have always struggled to get the weight up. To push big weight I would compromise form which lead to injuries. I just got the book and dvd "starting strength" and I could tell the difference in one workout.

BrotherIron
07-02-2009, 08:17 PM
do you stand with your feet wide or close?

Shoulder width. My stance is the same with the Clean and therefore I don't want to change anything. It also incorporates more Quad when you don't make your stance too wide.

robert da strongman
07-02-2009, 08:19 PM
i have tried to find the best stance for me. cant seem to get deep enough...

BrotherIron
07-02-2009, 08:24 PM
i have tried to find the best stance for me. cant seem to get deep enough...

You may want to widen your stance.

I had to really play with my hand positioning to keep the strain to a minimum on the wrists and still complete the lift.

How do you squat normally? How deep do you squat? Ass to floor, parallel, or somewhere in betw?

robert da strongman
07-02-2009, 08:27 PM
You may want to widen your stance.

I had to really play with my hand positioning to keep the strain to a minimum on the wrists and still complete the lift.

How do you squat normally? How deep do you squat? Ass to floor, parallel, or somewhere in betw?

Squat Stance - RX Muscle Forums
started a whole new thread for it...

my hand position is wide and i keep the bar high on my collarbones

BrotherIron
07-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Squat Stance - RX Muscle Forums (http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?t=12415)
started a whole new thread for it...

my hand position is wide and i keep the bar high on my collarbones

And see I keep my hands a bit closer than shoulder width to keep the strain down. It would always bug the hell out of my wrists.

You def want it to sit high on the collar bones just don't hit your self in the neck. That can kill your lift.

bigcountry86
07-02-2009, 11:49 PM
shoulder press and bench(495 flat bench) are my stong points. but i cant go heavy on squats to save my life. it makes my knees hurt but i am 6'7'' so maybe thats why.

tjoe
07-03-2009, 07:57 PM
shoulder press and bench(495 flat bench) are my stong points. but i cant go heavy on squats to save my life. it makes my knees hurt but i am 6'7'' so maybe thats why.495 at 6'7" is pretty damn impressive!! Nice work! I would imagine squats would be a bit uncomfortable, but, I bet that bar looks tiny up there! Haha :eek: