PDA

View Full Version : Travel tips

Tatyana
04-30-2009, 08:50 AM
I travel quite a bit, but I think I have travelled light maybe twice in my life.

Most of us are going to jet off somewhere this year, if not for holidays, then to compete.

What are your top travel tips?

Here are a few of mine:

1. Only bring two pairs of shoes, pick them out and then match all your outfits to the shoes.

2. Get a luggage cart as soon as possible.

3. Make sure your carry on luggage has wheels.

baby gorilla
04-30-2009, 08:53 AM
when flying commercial, store all drugs securely in your rectum

Suzy Brown
04-30-2009, 11:33 AM
I never leave my neighborhood.

SallyAnne
04-30-2009, 11:37 AM
I travel quite a bit, but I think I have travelled light maybe twice in my life.

Most of us are going to jet off somewhere this year, if not for holidays, then to compete.

What are your top travel tips?

Here are a few of mine:

1. Only bring two pairs of shoes, pick them out and then match all your outfits to the shoes.

2. Get a luggage cart as soon as possible.

3. Make sure your carry on luggage has wheels.

I'm a big believer in the carry on. No lost luggage that way. Of course, when traveling internationally, that's tough because I always want to buy stuff to bring home.

SO - my advice when going on vacation where you know you're going to buy lots of trinkets, pack a slightly smaller suitcase inside a slightly larger suitcase and you have an empty to fill up for the trip home.

sassy69
04-30-2009, 11:51 AM
I'm a big believer in the carry on. No lost luggage that way. Of course, when traveling internationally, that's tough because I always want to buy stuff to bring home.

SO - my advice when going on vacation where you know you're going to buy lots of trinkets, pack a slightly smaller suitcase inside a slightly larger suitcase and you have an empty to fill up for the trip home.

Absolutely. I make sure I've got enough w/ me to make it at least through a day or two if I'm stuck. A change of clothes, all my toiletries (contact solution, makeup, etc.), some food and a book.

I recall 10,000 years ago I did one of those Barefoot Windjammer cruises to the BVI. There was a newly married couple from Boston on their honeymoon, and their luggage was lost coming down. They didn't actually get it until about the 5th day into a 7 day cruise. And since you're on one of these Windjammer sailboats, its not like there's a large concesssion or gift shop to replace all your stuff. They made do w/ a swimsuit and some ship's logo clothes, and whatever they could pick up at any of the tiny islands we stopped at. But that would just really suck.

RealLilSwole
04-30-2009, 11:51 AM
Since we are on the topic of travel. I have a question for you ladies. I live in Ky. I am doing Jr. Nats which is in Chicago. My flight leaves on Wednesday. Jr. Nats start on Friday. Do you all pack a bunch of food with you? My thought was to pack enough to slast for Wednesday and some Thurs. We are going to stay at an Extended Stay Wed and Thur night. THat way we could cook more food and buy a cooler then move to the host hotel on Friday.

What are your thoughts? How do you manage?

Thanks! I appreciate any advice.

SallyAnne
04-30-2009, 12:00 PM
I've done both - carried the food on one trip and then just shopped at the store the next time. I prefer shopping while I'm there so I don't have to hassle with carrying the food on. This can be tough if you don't have wheels, though.

RealLilSwole
04-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Cool! Thanks SallyAnne. The last time I did Jr Nats we drove, so I just packed some coolers. But I got the flight so cheap, it would have cost more to drive.

SallyAnne
04-30-2009, 04:40 PM
I think the reason I like making it when I get there is because I'm so sick of cold chicken by that time that I can barely gag it down. lol I can always eat fresh cooked, though.

LainaJ
04-30-2009, 04:57 PM
UPS your stuff ahead of time... :) Most of the time I do that and it makes traveling with my six year old son soooooo much more enjoyable

Gaoshang Xiongshou
04-30-2009, 05:14 PM
I always have trouble with my ice packs in my cooler when I fly. I have to check the cooler as luggage, and different airports seem to have different rules for the ice packs. Anyone have a universal way for travelling with ice packs?

tammyp
04-30-2009, 06:13 PM
i got a big duffle on wheels from ll bean a few years back. its big enough to even fit my cooler when i fly. it fits everything, and you dont have to conform to the suitcase "box".

tight booty
04-30-2009, 06:57 PM
I am travelling to the USA in 11 days time...Yeh! And I plan on travelling light. One of my tips would be to put your skincare and shampoo and conditioner into travel size containers. Carry your jacket on the plane to save packing it. I will be taking Tatyanas advice and only packing 2 pairs of shoes as well.

fitmomma3
04-30-2009, 07:42 PM
IF you're driving (we just drove down to North Carolina from Mass)...PORTABLE DVD PLAYER... watching movies makes the trip fly! Plus I have little ones and I would not have lived without it!

RealLilSwole
04-30-2009, 09:42 PM
Do any of you bring bring George Foremans to the hotels? Even though we aren't supposed to. LOL! OPPS!

sassy69
05-01-2009, 01:50 AM
IF you're driving (we just drove down to North Carolina from Mass)...PORTABLE DVD PLAYER... watching movies makes the trip fly! Plus I have little ones and I would not have lived without it!

Laptop + lots of downloaded movies.

sassy69
05-01-2009, 01:52 AM
I've done both - carried the food on one trip and then just shopped at the store the next time. I prefer shopping while I'm there so I don't have to hassle with carrying the food on. This can be tough if you don't have wheels, though.

This is how I've always traveled for work - get a hotel room w/ microwave or a kitchenette and use all my per diem by hitting a grocery store & getting what I need. I always travel w/ my own oatmeal & protein mix in case I get stuck anywhere.

Tatyana
05-02-2009, 05:22 PM
I am travelling to the USA in 11 days time...Yeh! And I plan on travelling light. One of my tips would be to put your skincare and shampoo and conditioner into travel size containers. Carry your jacket on the plane to save packing it. I will be taking Tatyanas advice and only packing 2 pairs of shoes as well.

It is really tough when you have to bring training clothing as well.

International travel tips:

-get a clear plastic zip beauty bag for your carry on liquids (none more than 100 ml) instead of those stupid baggies. You also have to put all your lip gloss and mascara into this as well.

There is no way you can take cool blocks on international flights.

-check your luggage allowance differences for international to domestic flights, especially if you are changing companies. Keep your e-tickets with the luggage allowance on it, as they sometimes will say 'domestic flights 20 kg/one bag' and you just came off an international with a weight allowance of 46 kg with a 32 kg bag maximum.

-get first defense or zicam and use it on the flight to avoid getting bugs on the plane, the recycled air is the best place to get sick.

tight booty
05-03-2009, 06:26 AM
Thanks Tat. :)
I am feeling a bit nervous about travelling. :o

Sledge
05-03-2009, 07:32 AM

For the 30 odd hours you'll be flying and going through airports and airport security.

A noise canceling headset to drown out the 5 constantly crying/screaming babys only 3 seats away from you.
A container of baby wipes
Easy slip on/off shoes
Comfy baggy clothes
Change of undies and t-shirt etc (a couple if you can fit them)
MP3 Player

Biggest problem I have with traveling for 30 hours is I feel so grotty.

Curt James
05-03-2009, 01:19 PM

Ship it home.

Cost prohibitive?

Curt James
05-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Do any of you bring bring George Foremans to the hotels? Even though we aren't supposed to. LOL! OPPS!

Have you seen the JRod video of him using his grill in the shower? Easy clean up. lol

Tatyana
05-03-2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks Tat. :)
I am feeling a bit nervous about travelling. :o

I get that flying, but it isn't about flying, it is about missing a flight or forgetting something.

Oh yes, don't be too freaked out when you are photographed and fingerprinted at USA customs.

Sledge gave you great advice, I would also go to your doctor and see if you can get some sleeping tablets, I got some for my last long haul flight.

I typically don't have any problems sleeping on planes either, this just made it as sweet as.

The other thing with feeling grotty is if you have a couple of hours in airports, google the specific airport and see if they have shower facilities.

I had a 4 hour stop-over in San Fran once, the shower was an absolute joy.

musclegoddess65
05-03-2009, 05:47 PM
For the 30 odd hours you'll be flying and going through airports and airport security.

A noise canceling headset to drown out the 5 constantly crying/screaming babys only 3 seats away from you.
A container of baby wipes
Easy slip on/off shoes
Comfy baggy clothes
Change of undies and t-shirt etc (a couple if you can fit them)
MP3 Player

Biggest problem I have with traveling for 30 hours is I feel so grotty.

i can feel grotty on a short flight... I like to pack a washcloth that I take in my carry on and a ziploc baggie to put it in when its wet... you can always do a PTA washing even on the plane, throw on some clean panties and you feel oh so much better...

Chani
05-03-2009, 06:27 PM
Also, a lot of airlines have partnered with shipping companies and offer a door to door luggage service. For example Fed Ex has an option for United (and possibly other airlines) passengers and will pick up and ship your luggage to your destination... runs about $75 a bag though. Certainly an option.

-Chani

Sledge
05-03-2009, 06:53 PM
Hey TB

If you have a connecting flight on arrival in the USA and it's within an hour or so of ETA see if you can change it. chances are it will take you at least that long to get through customs pick up your bags and check into your connecting flight. It's never taken me less than 2 hours to clear US customs. But in your case if you allow an hour just to clear then you should be ok.

Tatyana
05-26-2009, 07:00 PM
Don't bother getting really nice luggage, unless it is that bomb proof hard case stuff (but it does add significantly to the weight) and don't get light coloured suitcases as they all look like shite after they have had a few flights.

Keep your e-ticket and original luggage allowance, especially if changing from an international to domestic flight, the allowances change, and there is always one stupid terminal attendant who is going to make thinks more difficult than they have to be.