PDA

View Full Version : Get stronger!!!!!!!!

BrianNassar
02-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Here is an article of mine that was buried on another forum. I hope you get something out of it! :)

Strongman and Powerlifting Strategies Renegade Style
Most readers of this forum are not elite level athletes (yet), and like myself probably have been frustrated in the past with their training not producing the results they desire. I have tried pretty much every training system since I began lifting back in 1986. The one constant thing that I have learned is RECOVERY is the #1 priority after intense training for the genetically average and drug free trainees.

Especially regarding Strongman training, recovery and infrequent workout sessions are a must! The human body can only tolerate so much stress before all gains in strength and power cease to continue, and may decline due to over training. I know you’ve all heard this type of “abbreviated training” mantra before, but many lifters just gloss over the information, positive it possibly cannot work because most of the champions don’t train this way. I had the same thoughts until I was forced to train less…and I got stronger!!

Yes I know, there are bands, chains, equipment, drugs, supplements, training systems ad infinitum out there that claim to be the end all be all of training success. But, each one of us has a different threshold of recovery ability. I have yet to find an unbiased empirical study on a training system in scientific literature out there. Finding a real study on hardcore weight training is like finding an honest before and after photo of those fat-burner ads!!

I’m not writing this article to put any training system down, or to report that my training ideas are superior to all other training modes. My thoughts are to give the non-genetically gifted, drug free strength trainee an option. In my 20 years of competing in bodybuilding, powerlifting, and now strongman I have seen many fads come and go, including nutritional supplements and training programs. So you know that I’m not talking out of my ass, here is a quick background of my experiences. I have won several natural bodybuilding titles, was a certified personal trainer for over 10 years, and have competed in powerlifting winning my weight class at the state level many times. I’m ready to make the break for the Nationals now. I have also competed in the LW class (225 lbs. and below) in National amateur strongman competitions. I also have my Master Degree in Counseling, with post-graduate work specializing in mental health. (It helps since to be a powerlifter/strongman we must be nuts! :D)

Before we start I just want to mention that this type of training program has worked for me and others that I have trained. I just want to share some of my training methods and opinions that I have found beneficial. First, the term “hardgainer” is one of the most abused terms in training literature today. Don’t believe that you are doomed to failure and classify yourself a hardgainer. Through much trial and error I have found a way of training that is producing results that have surpassed my expectations.

The toughest part of my current training program is not training! No matter what level of weight training a person is at, they will not grow or get stronger unless they recuperate, period. Many lifters rapidly speed up their ability to recover from workouts by utilizing drugs, but this article is geared towards drug free training applications. I am not judging or ostracizing those lifters who choose to use drugs to facilitate their training. That is a personal choice that each lifter must make for themselves.

There have been many training “gurus” since weight training began, and there still are many out there. All it takes is a charismatic individual to constantly take credit for their style of training making or producing the champions of their particular sport. It almost becomes a kind of gang warfare attitude with all the back biting that goes on behind the scenes. One constant about most training systems is that you are supposed to buy special apparatuses or use their “special” line of supplements. Now don’t get me wrong, there is much merit to many of the training philosophies out there today, but you have to pick through them and find what works FOR YOU, not what has worked for someone else. Don’t be afraid to experiment!!

One important aspect to training and competing is having the motivation and commitment to push through grueling workouts. I have had the opportunity to witness many competitors through the years. I’ve seen some incredible drive, perseverance, etc. in some and I’ve seen quit and doubt in others.
I’ll use my own experience in my first strongman competition. I competed in the NASS Missouri Strongest Man and I was pretty intimidated by the strength and amount of competitors present. I pushed myself to place 3rd in the Farmers’ Walk but I tripped at the finish line and crashed into the weights very hard. I felt out of sorts after the fall but pushed on through the rest of the events completing them all. It was only later that I learned I was competing with a slightly torn pec. Was it healthy to continue at that meet? Probably not. But isn’t it just as unhealthy not to believe in yourself and be a quitter? Strongman, powerlifting, and many other sports are you against yourself. PR’s are what matter. Pushing or crashing through barriers you previously thought were unattainable is what training and competition is all about. I’ve witnessed competitors pull out of meets because they could not place first or afraid of bombing out! For me competition is pushing myself past limits that I set for myself, not if I win a trophy. Alright I’ll get off my soapbox now.
Let’s get back to the training aspect of this article. For the average reader of this magazine the formula is simple: Train hard, use the basics, and train infrequently. Don’t worry about what other lifters or your friends are doing in the gym. Find out what works for you, no matter how far from the norm of current training standards it turns out to be.

Here is an example of my current training for my next Strongman competition:

Day 1
Log Press – 3 sets
Partial Deadlift – 3 sets
Tire Flip – 1 set 100 ft.
Fat Bar Curls – 2 sets

Day 2
U.H. Weighted Pull-ups – 3 sets
Bench Press/Dips – 3 sets
Farmer’s Walk – 2 sets
Sled Pull – 2 sets

I take at least 3 days off in between each workout. If I have a very brutal and intense session I might only train with weights once a week. Towards the end of my training cycle I will train all of the events that will be in the strongman competition on Saturdays. This helps prepare my body for the demand of the actual competition. On Wednesdays I’ll do light sled pulls to increase my endurance and cardio ability. If I’m still sore, I’ll just bike or walk on Wednesdays. That’s right, sometimes I only train once per week! I’m not writing about my personal workouts to bore you. I’m trying to show you that you can get great results from abbreviated training, whether that be strongman or powerlifting.
I have tried to increase my training sessions to keep up with my training partners, and every time I have just beat my body down and lost strength. When I cut back my training, but kept the intensity high, my strength skyrocketed! I have a small bone structure, but I’m still gaining strength and power each year. Don’t let the “experts” tell you that you don’t have the genetics to be strong!

tjoe
02-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Thanks Brian! Welcome to the board, I know you can contribute quite a bit... and hope that you do!

robert da strongman
02-13-2009, 10:46 AM
yeah welcome! post up those articles....

realmccoy
02-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Thanks Brian, I agree recovery is king

BrianNassar
02-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks guys! I'll start posting more when my work schedule becomes more stable. How do you guys find the time to post so much?? LOL!

STEELERJ-XL
02-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Damn Brian, That was good reading. I lift 3 - 4 Days a week natural and the hardest part of that is not going 5 or 6 days a week. Glad you wrote this because I sometimes feel like im being lazy by not being in the gym 7 days a week. Thanks Bud.

BrianNassar
02-23-2009, 12:55 PM
No problem! I'll try and post more in depth ideas as I get more time from work and family.

Brian