PDA

View Full Version : ketogenic & type 1 diabetes

smvmuscle
04-30-2009, 11:03 PM
posted this in the womens section but thought id post it in the diet section too.....

this may have been answered in another thread if so can u point me in the right direction as i have not been able to find it...

i have a friend who is a type one diabetic who is looking to lose weight for her wedding next year. She is type one diabetic (insulin dependant) i suggested the ketogenic diet to her and she is very interested but before i give her the jist of the diet i was wondering if it is advisable for her to be on this sstyle of diet and the effects it would have on her...

thanks in advance

machine
05-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Hey SMV, both Colette and myself are both the resident type 1 diabetic bodybuilders. I'll dig up a recent study that I recently read but, it should actually be much better for your friend. The less carbs she eats = the less insulin she will give, causing her to lose fat.

Obviously she should not replace her carbs with fats. 1 g carbs = 4 calories, while 1 gram fat = 9 calories. Being a diabetic she should know that fat can cause a resistance to insulin, so she needs to keep the amounts in check.

Frosty
05-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Hey SMV, both Colette and myself are both the resident type 1 diabetic bodybuilders. I'll dig up a recent study that I recently read but, it should actually be much better for your friend. The less carbs she eats = the less insulin she will give, causing her to lose fat.

Obviously she should not replace her carbs with fats. 1 g carbs = 4 calories, while 1 gram fat = 9 calories. Being a diabetic she should know that fat can cause a resistance to insulin, so she needs to keep the amounts in check.

Yeah, avoiding saturated fat will help as saturated fat tends to cause insulin resistance more. Macadamia nuts, avocado, and olive oil are good sources that will reduce insulin resistance issues. Lots of fish oil is also good for preventing insulin resistance with higher fat intake.