PDA

View Full Version : Esplendido on stage

esplendido
05-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Because I've shown mostly cropped pictures of myself, and you've probably read where I need to bring my legs up (I have arthritis in both knees), here is a pic of me onstage last summer in a 40-over class (I was the 51 year old among the youngsters).

You now have a whole body shot and comparison shot to judge my physique by.

esplendido
05-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Click on the image for a larger version.

HeavyDutyGuy
05-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Nice pec/delt/arm tie in! You look more conditioned than the other two, one guy is way smoother. How did you place last year?

esplendido
05-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Third out of six. The two in the photo beat me. The guy in the middle won. He was 41. I was the more conditioned but my legs hurt me. I've brought them up an inch since then (28 1/2) and need another inch to be balanced.

GirlyMuscle
05-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Dang! I knew there was a reason I liked the old dudes!

I think if you "sit" a little more your legs would look thicker.

Gaoshang Xiongshou
05-01-2009, 02:48 PM
I better look like that when I am your age.

Suzy Brown
05-01-2009, 02:56 PM
You look awesome, hot stuff!

GM's right, little more squat in your pose would have made your hammies pop out more.

esplendido
05-01-2009, 02:59 PM
Thanks. It's a temptation to think that since I'm in my fifties, I can get away with certain weaknesses. I've adjusted that thinking to focusing on being a great bber. This is my fifth year back and I think I can start adding open classes to my resume.

Dom
05-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Man you rocked it! Look great!!!!:bowdown:

Gaoshang Xiongshou
05-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Thanks. It's a temptation to think that since I'm in my fifties, I can get away with certain weaknesses. I've adjusted that thinking to focusing on being a great bber. This is my fifth year back and I think I can start adding open classes to my resume.

I thought you were only about 10-12 years older than me.

HeavyDutyGuy
05-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Tall guys don't want to 'sit' in the side chest. If you're tall with a big chest, you want to hit it like Arnold, Lou, or Nubret, draw up to your full height, and draw the chest up- dominates shorter, lighter guys. Squatting and twisting like guys do a lot nowadays shows hamstrings and glutes more, but takes away from the pose. Bending the outside leg (not flexing the hamstring, let it'hang') and pressing it against the far leg gives a similiar look to the leg without destroying the pose. "Its a side chest, Franco, not a front chest. If you don't have it, don't hit it"...

esplendido
05-01-2009, 03:12 PM
52 on May 25 this year.

esplendido
05-01-2009, 03:14 PM
I'll post a picture of a side chest where I did what HD mentioned when I get home.

HeavyDutyGuy
05-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Ok Rick. But in the meantime I found this (very) offseason pic to show what I mean.

esplendido
05-01-2009, 03:25 PM
Good pose. I have a tendency to lean down so the judges can see my upper body better. A tall man's fear.

esplendido
05-01-2009, 03:54 PM
Here you go.

FLEXR6
05-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Because I've shown mostly cropped pictures of myself, and you've probably read where I need to bring my legs up (I have arthritis in both knees), here is a pic of me onstage last summer in a 40-over class (I was the 51 year old among the youngsters).

Looking fantastic for 52!! (Hope I can be half that good in 10 years time)
Legs are fine, you look like a tall dude, I'm guessing you're at least 5'10" or 5'11" - you can't expect to be Tom Platz and Arnold all rolled into one.
I'm a short ass - 5' 7" and will be squatting right down on my side chest tomorrow at the INBA Sydney, gotta do all I can to make my legs look bigger. As we know a lot of it is illusion.....:D

esplendido
05-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Looking fantastic for 52!! (Hope I can be half that good in 10 years time)
Legs are fine, you look like a tall dude, I'm guessing you're at least 5'10" or 5'11" - you can't expect to be Tom Platz and Arnold all rolled into one.
I'm a short ass - 5' 7" and will be squatting right down on my side chest tomorrow at the INBA Sydney, gotta do all I can to make my legs look bigger. As we know a lot of it is illusion.....:D

6'-4"

OB
05-01-2009, 06:14 PM
6'-4"

you look great. Damn good job.

esplendido
05-01-2009, 06:26 PM
you look great. Damn good job.

Thanks man! Great compliment coming from someone looking damn good himself!

MsGuns
05-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Nice Esplendido...I luv your avi too.

sassy69
05-01-2009, 06:57 PM
You are one tall ass mofo!

Definitely pull the chest up & out, but you might experiment a little w/ sitting into the pose and see if you can reduce the l o n g l i n e on your leg, but more experiment w/ getting the illusion of balance to see if that particular thing works. Otherwise just keep growing those damn tree trunks to match. Its good to have something you need to work on. Keeps the quest for perfection burning!

FLEXR6
05-01-2009, 07:51 PM
6'-4"

Holy Crap !!!!
Sorry about the 5'11" insult ;)

esplendido
05-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Holy Crap !!!!
Sorry about the 5'11" insult ;)

No insult, my friend. I am what I am. Plusses and minuses. Minus is in bodybuilding. It takes a long time to put on mass worthy of the stage :)

BDG812
06-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Definitely more minuses than pluses...I am almost 6'6" and weigh 260 at 45....very tough to gain mass...arms...legs...all the longer muscle take forever and much more attention....any tips for us older taller guys??? How much do you weigh off season and comp time??

esplendido
06-10-2009, 11:30 PM
Definitely more minuses than pluses...I am almost 6'6" and weigh 260 at 45....very tough to gain mass...arms...legs...all the longer muscle take forever and much more attention....any tips for us older taller guys??? How much do you weigh off season and comp time??

I hit 285 this year during off-season, and leaner than last year. All I can say about filling out is to lift as heavy as possible, and increase the amount of weight used as frequently as you can. I've found that pyramiding works best for me, with the second to last set at a weight allowing only 1-3 reps, then the last set back to whatever weight I can barely do 8 reps with. If the muscle isn't burning and pumped to the max at the end of the sets of one exercise, you haven't done enough.

Here's me at 285 at the Arnold this year, standing with my friend, Bill Grant...

Mandla
06-11-2009, 03:27 AM

Your conditioning is really good here. And your color looks good also. I suspect at the rate your going you'll be at 300 w/in 1.5- 2 years. You already look huge, like a giant compared to Bill Grant who himself is looking fantastic.

fatbackgoal
06-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Looking great and a real testament that age is never a factor. Like you I am tall (6'5") so nice to see muscle can be put on a frame that big.

exit2010
06-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Look great.

BigJD69
06-11-2009, 04:37 PM
My knees are shot as well, makes it awfully hard to train lower body!

joedemarco
06-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Your conditioning looks right on. Ever try sitting into that side chest a little bit more? It'll make your legs look a little thicker from the side. By the way, when's the next competition?

esplendido
06-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Your conditioning looks right on. Ever try sitting into that side chest a little bit more? It'll make your legs look a little thicker from the side. By the way, when's the next competition?

I was going to do the North Americans, but have decided to do the Red River in Oklahoma on Oct. 24th and hit the national stage again next year. I can bring the legs up more to be competitive in the Masters Nationals in 2010.

"sitting" on that pose at 6'-4" is a little gay looking. I don't like the pose sat in by any male competitor, for that matter.

joedemarco
06-11-2009, 06:14 PM
I was going to do the North Americans, but have decided to do the Red River in Oklahoma on Oct. 24th and hit the national stage again next year. I can bring the legs up more to be competitive in the Masters Nationals in 2010.

"sitting" on that pose at 6'-4" is a little gay looking. I don't like the pose sat in by any male competitor, for that matter.

I know what you mean by guys really "sitting" on that pose...I just meant that your legs just appear "to straight" on that pose. I just think it would look a little better with a little more knee bend.

Good luck in October! Look forward to some training/dieting updates as you get closer to contest time.