PDA

View Full Version : Time between contests

NattyGirl
02-13-2009, 12:49 PM
So I've heard a few different opinions on this topic, and was just wondering what everyone on this board thinks. What are your thoughts on time needed between contest prep diets? How many weeks of consistent contest dieting can you do before putting your metabolism in the gutter? Does anyone have personal experience with this that they can share? What's the highest number of shows you've done back to back and how did your body respond?

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts!

militantmuscle
02-13-2009, 01:28 PM
You have to see how your body reacts. Ask Silvio Samuel about doing back to back shows, and then ask Phil Heath would he do the same thing. The metabolism factor will be based on the individual and his/her genetic makeup.

The longer you have between shows, the better, the body does not like any sudden changes. It's a pain in the ass to diet a competitor to peak similarly for two consecutive shows, usually you have to pick one and go for the best effect. Unless, you have a guy like Silvio Samuel, who is consistent or even gets better from show to show.

Scoobysnacks
02-13-2009, 01:59 PM
I think metabolic syndrome is real issue in this sport. I see it more so with women who continue to do shows with little rest in between. Especially if they went really low calories for long periods of time. Then they dont take sufficient time off in the offseason to really get the metabolism moving and their prep is even harder.

For a natural competitor man or woman I recommend taking a year off after your shows. Im not saying you cant hit 2-3 shows with one diet, Im just saying if you just did 20-16 weeks of hardcore dieting, you need more time than you think to let your metabolism recover.

Ive had people come back to me to diet after 2 mos being off from their last 16 week diet, and when we start their metabolism is just shit. They dont get that it takes time to get that all back properly.

Also, I like 1 year off to make noticeable improvements, 12 full months in a caloric surplus training hard. For a natural I think that is necessary, for an assisted competitor they can make improvements in shorter time span.

I think if anyone was on a contest diet where they saw their weight loss come to a halt 3-4 weeks out and then went even lower and lower in cals and added more cardio, that person really needs to take effort to get their clean cals up and for a good period of time before ever dieting again.

Off topic, but I see people stall out all the time and instead of eating, taking a day and just eating, they cut more carbs, more calories and add more cardio, its just vicious cycle.

This is obviously more geared to your average physique competitor who has to diet really hard to get in shape, not some of the genetically blessed pros who may diet 8 weeks and are shredded, like Dex etc. But, even guys who just got to the pros take a year or two off to add size and recover after their long journey to the pro card at nationals or wherever.

stavios
02-13-2009, 05:05 PM
Scooby makes some excellent points. I'd just like to add that guys who are "chemically enhanced" get away with alot more due to the synergy of the drugs they take. With GH, Slin and T3 in the mix with all the anabolic/androgenic hormones they can literally grow in prep and then just turn the heat up when it counts. It's although worth noting that guys who are notorious for doing several shows a year (Samuel in '08) stay pretty lean year round. Insulin is a great drug to grow and stay lean on but obviously one has to way pros v cons. Add in all the new age peptides and it gets really crazy.

good post Mike

AmyLynn
02-14-2009, 09:58 PM
I think metabolic syndrome is real issue in this sport. I see it more so with women who continue to do shows with little rest in between. Especially if they went really low calories for long periods of time. Then they dont take sufficient time off in the offseason to really get the metabolism moving and their prep is even harder.

For a natural competitor man or woman I recommend taking a year off after your shows. Im not saying you cant hit 2-3 shows with one diet, Im just saying if you just did 20-16 weeks of hardcore dieting, you need more time than you think to let your metabolism recover.

Ive had people come back to me to diet after 2 mos being off from their last 16 week diet, and when we start their metabolism is just shit. They dont get that it takes time to get that all back properly.

Also, I like 1 year off to make noticeable improvements, 12 full months in a caloric surplus training hard. For a natural I think that is necessary, for an assisted competitor they can make improvements in shorter time span.

I think if anyone was on a contest diet where they saw their weight loss come to a halt 3-4 weeks out and then went even lower and lower in cals and added more cardio, that person really needs to take effort to get their clean cals up and for a good period of time before ever dieting again.

Off topic, but I see people stall out all the time and instead of eating, taking a day and just eating, they cut more carbs, more calories and add more cardio, its just vicious cycle.

This is obviously more geared to your average physique competitor who has to diet really hard to get in shape, not some of the genetically blessed pros who may diet 8 weeks and are shredded, like Dex etc. But, even guys who just got to the pros take a year or two off to add size and recover after their long journey to the pro card at nationals or wherever.

Ditto on metabolic syndrome. I did 3 shows naturally last year (all 4-5 weeks apart) and in the middle of the summer in Texas I was wearing sweatshirts and pants--OUTSIDE. I was always freezing! Turns out it takes up to 3 months to get your metabolism back. When you're natural you almost have a "grace period" after a show where you can eat without putting on fat, but watch out...as soon as the grace period is over you'll gain fat so fast you won't know what the hell happened. Luckily, I got to the bottom of the problem and I'm back on track. I should be able to hit the stage again around April or May :-)

If only I knew then what I know now....

goddessamazon
02-14-2009, 11:48 PM
Ditto on metabolic syndrome. I did 3 shows naturally last year (all 4-5 weeks apart) and in the middle of the summer in Texas I was wearing sweatshirts and pants--OUTSIDE. I was always freezing! Turns out it takes up to 3 months to get your metabolism back. When you're natural you almost have a "grace period" after a show where you can eat without putting on fat, but watch out...as soon as the grace period is over you'll gain fat so fast you won't know what the hell happened. Luckily, I got to the bottom of the problem and I'm back on track. I should be able to hit the stage again around April or May :-)

If only I knew then what I know now....

Thanks for saying this. I am 4 weeks out from my next comp and it's been relatively warm here in Atlanta but I can't seem to stay warm. Yesterday it was in the low 60's and I was in my truck with the heat on full blast! :eek:

militantmuscle
02-15-2009, 12:03 AM
This is common with athletes in pre-contest shape closer to the show, I remember there was a time when one of my clients complained of his feet hurting because he was losing so much fat.

lighthvy
02-18-2009, 09:56 PM

Great post Scoobs, glad you posted it instead of me... I need to get to bed lol. But I think I know the girl youre talking about who's metab was in the shitter after 2 months out lol. Thanks for getting her turned around ;)

Sharp Curves
02-19-2009, 01:30 AM
Last year I did 5 shows. It was interesting to see what it would take balance wise.

I did my first show in May (Queensland Australia), I didn't go into it as lean as I usually do and I had a lil' trouble with aldosterone levels I placed 3rd. I knew I had another show in Greece 3 weeks later in June, so I was too worried. In Greece I placed 3rd again, not bad for my first International event.

I had a weeks R&R after that show before coming home. Soon as I got home I was feeling really good, it was a change of game plan to keep the metabolism going as my next 2 shows were in September.

The 3rd show was the Queensland state and I won the Overall, I feasted for 36 hours that weekend and then returned to diet. The following weekend I was in Perth for my 4th show, winning the Australian overall and feasting again for 36 hours. 2 weeks after that in October I was in the UK competing again at the 5th show, my first Universe. (had a few unwarranted stress's with that trip with missing luggage) but I made it to the stage for an 8th place.

Been resting up since, quietly training in the background and will be stepping back into comp prep mode again this April for comps in September and October. Getting keen to go again

F.K.M.
04-11-2009, 07:09 PM
I would like to hear more on this.

How do you guys go about stacking shows?

I was thinking of doing two shows this year, if not three. One would be in early summer around June, while the other two fall in the winter months, almost back to back. I suppose it's all about one's individual experiences in making their bodies peak, but how do YOU guys approach planning the year ahead?