PDA

View Full Version : Six Important Tests..

Sistersteel
05-02-2009, 06:17 PM
....Women must have!

PAP SMEAR: Recommended annual smear until age 30, after that if you have both a negative pap and a negative hpv test you can be retested every three years.

CHLAMYDIA & GONORRHEA: These STD’s are usually symptom-less, but if left untreated they can cause pelvic inflammatory disease and infertility. If not in a monogamous relationship, get tested annually.

BLOOD PRESSURE: Although most women under age 30 have normal blood pressure, it’s a good idea to have it tested yearly. If you have undiagnosed hypertension, it’ll be silently doing damage to your arteries, brain and kidneys, most of this damage irreversible.

CHOLESTEROL SCREENING: Many doctors wait until a woman is in her 40’s or 50’s before performing this test, but about ½ of all women under 40 have high cholesterol. Women should get an initial screening at age 20, then every 5 years thereafter (more frequently if yours is elevated).

THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE (TSH) TEST: 1 in 10 women in the USA are hypothyroid (low thyroid hormone levels) hypothyroidism has been linked to depression, weight gain and miscarriage. All women should have a baseline screening at age 35 then every 5 years after that (ask for one earlier if you suffer from fatigue, hair loss or weight gain or constantly feel cold).

COMPLETE BLOOD COUNT (CBC): each woman should have a baseline CBC done in their 20’s since it’s a good screening for anemia. 5-10% of women have anemia and don’t know it. CBC should be run every 5 years.

For a more extensive look at bloodwork and how to interpret results yourself:

RX Muscle Forums

Skeptic
05-02-2009, 07:49 PM
CHLAMYDIA & GONORRHEA: These STD’s are usually symptom-less, but if left untreated they can cause pelvic inflammatory disease and infertility. If not in a monogamous relationship, get tested annually.

Also be aware that what you may think is a monogamous relationship may not be. Some of the studies I've seen indicate that well over half of "monogamous" relationships involved regular cheating. While that may be a depressing thought I urge all people to act accordingly.

DCtraininggirl
07-23-2009, 12:29 AM
Hey sistersteel, thanks for this info. I've struggled with my weight for a while. I'm 5'8, 203 lbs and my I think genetically I may be predisposed to hypothyroidism (my mom has it). I'm currently on a keto diet to get my weight loss going. I also would like to ask you, are there any other hormone tests I should take? I have mesntrual irregularity as well and a little hair in places I shouldn't. Do you know what that could be from? I do not take any kind of chemical supplements, only a multi, calcium, and energy enhancers with whey protein on a daily basis. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Sistersteel
07-23-2009, 03:36 AM
Hey sistersteel, thanks for this info. I've struggled with my weight for a while. I'm 5'8, 203 lbs and my I think genetically I may be predisposed to hypothyroidism (my mom has it). I'm currently on a keto diet to get my weight loss going. I also would like to ask you, are there any other hormone tests I should take? I have mesntrual irregularity as well and a little hair in places I shouldn't. Do you know what that could be from? I do not take any kind of chemical supplements, only a multi, calcium, and energy enhancers with whey protein on a daily basis. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Symptoms are typical of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (POS). The Paps and blood work should be pretty sufficient to determine what is gong on.

SS

Tatyana
07-23-2009, 04:16 AM

Low carb diets can suppress your thyroid gland.

While they do demonstrate more weight loss in the short term, the weight loss between all types of diets evens out in the long run.

The first two weeks of a keto diet are often water loss as glycogen stores hold water as well.

While quite a few people think that there is some magic macronutrient ratio for losing weight, I personally think that dieting in a manner that you can maintain for life is preferable.

It is frustrating when you want the chub off now, but it really is slow and steady is the best way to re-establish your body's set point for weight and maintain a lower weight and body fat percentage.

DCtraininggirl
07-23-2009, 11:48 PM
Hey guys, thanks so much for the feed back. I have been tested for POS, and it came out negative and the most recent pap I did wa two months ago and came out normal. Tat, as far as the low carb thing goes, I totally did not know that. However I am trying to do Daves diet for women...I have been on the low carb for 3 weeks and I am going t do it for one more week before going back to a more conventional diet that I can really stick to long term. What are your thoughts on that? Do you think I should stick it out one more week or start a more conventional diet right away? Sistersteel, I wouldn't mind your imput on it as well, if you would. I didn't realiz how much of an effect all of these differnt variables can have. Oh and as far as the menstrual irregularities go, I'e have them since I've begun menstruating. In the entire 10 years I've had my period, I have never had a single year with out some kind of irregularity. I noitice a pattern of one month on, then 3-6 months off, them 2 months on and 3-6 months off...there have literally been times when I have only had my period like 3 times in a year.

The Doctor
08-10-2009, 03:04 PM
A word about pap smears. While the National health care preventative task force recommends a pap every three years as you stated this committee was heavily funded and lobbied by the insurance industry. The Anerican College of Obstetrics and Gynecology recommends more often pap smears as the pap smear visit entails not just the pap but a exam to feel for any ovarian changes as well as a chance to inspect the vulvar and vaginal areas for suspicious lesions

Thyroid screenings is even more aggressively recommended after the menopause to every other year as 15% of women become hypothyroid after the menopause.

Joey S. Rottman, D.O.
Associate professor Obstetrics and Gynecology
UMDNJ-SOM