PDA

View Full Version : apple cider vinagar

tammyp
05-03-2009, 04:27 PM
does anyone drink this in their water? i hear its suppose to help reg hdl/ldl levels and banish bloat, among other things. sounds gross to me. anyone do this?

~gymdiva~
05-03-2009, 04:29 PM
yep...used to be required by one of my preppers...I actually use it now to help keep my reflux in check...but I only had to do one tbsp before bedtime...

tammyp
05-03-2009, 04:41 PM
just found this.....

These days, apple cider vinegar can be found as a staple in millions of household kitchens worldwide. There are so many unknown uses for this powerful cleansing and healing agent!

The versatility of vinegar is legendary and is proven to help keep the body healthy, youthful, and ageless! It was used by the Egyptians in 3000 BCE, as well as the Babylonians, and Julius Caesar's army used vinegar tonic to stay healthy and fight off disease. Hippocrates, in 400 BC, treated his patients with apple cider vinegar.

The Greeks and Romans kept vinegar vessels for healing and for flavoring and preserving food. In Paris, vinegar was sold by the barrel and used for deodorant and for a delicious tonic drink to keep the body ageless. Even Christopher Columbus took vinegar barrels for his sailors on his long sea travels to prevent scurvy and disinfect wounds.

Most people don't know how wonderful vinegar is. Its cleansing properties are known to aid digestion by stimulating the flow of enzymes and saliva in the mouth. Vinegar has been shown to support a healthy heart.

Vinegar can do everything from relieving muscle pain from exercise, balancing pH levels, soothing sore throats, and normalizing weight and helping to maintain levels of cholesterol already in the normal range. Externally, it is effective in supporting healthy skin and hair. Use it topically to give yourself a vinegar facial for toning or clearing up non-cystic acne and exfoliating dry dull skin. Gently rub your skin with a soft cotton ball dipped in vinegar and watch your skin glow! It's also great for animals. Use it as a soothing after-bath rinse for cats and dogs to eliminate dry skin. Just as with people, it is also helpful in older animals. The high acidity and powerful enzymes in apple cider vinegar also supports a healthy scalp. Try a rinse of apple cider vinegar after you wash your hair. It gives hair incredible shine and bounce!

It's so easy to incorporate vinegar into your daily diet. When you wake up in the morning just make a delicious cocktail using 2 teaspoons of raw, organic apple cider vinegar, and if you need a sweetener, use organic honey, 100% maple syrup, or molasses to taste. If you are diabetic, use the sweet substitute stevia. I recommend you use only distilled water. This "Bragg Healthy Cocktail" is designed to flush out wastes that are clogging the organs of elimination, the bowels, lungs, skin, and the kidneys. Take it at least twice a day, and you will start to see changes like increased energy, soft skin, and decreased muscle and joint aches from exercise. Make sure you use raw, organic vinegar, never dead, distilled vinegar because the natural enzymes, minerals, and nutrients are destroyed in the distilling process. Any vinegar that is clear and has no "mother" (the strand-like substance in the bottom of the bottle) has no nutritional value. Natural raw vinegar should be pungent, with a rich, brownish color and a visible "mother." Drinking apple cider vinegar daily, and eating a largely fresh, organic, vegetarian diet, along with following a simple fitness program, will change your life so dramatically you will never go back to your old ways! Get fit, get healthy, and live a long and happy life!

The Big Sexy
05-03-2009, 04:45 PM
I've often had my clients do some mixed in a glass of 8oz water around 2x a day. It helped them to get some weight off. Although, they were also following a cardio and somewhat following a nutrition plan I wrote for them (lol - not competitors - just regular peops... ) :)

I know for people who are overweight, I think I have read they can lose around 20lbs in a year just from the addition of the ACV to their diets. Granted, I don't think you can be pounding pizzas and pasta with the same effect... but it was interesting to know.

I never thought about it for prep??? I'll ask my coach, maybe he'll have some input?

BigJD69
05-03-2009, 05:23 PM
I have been using it in my salad dressing for some time now.

musclegoddess65
05-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Tammy my ex's grandmother swore by apple cider vinegar drank it straight daily... chased it with water...

Ninja Loco
05-03-2009, 05:53 PM
I worked at 2 Vitamin Shoppe locations. One with a younger demographic and one with an older, say 60 plus. No one bought it at the first, and at the second, you'd have guessed it cured death, tightened vaginas and lengthened penis' by the way people reacted when we'd run out of stock. Wasnt unusual for someone to buy 5 or so bottles at a time. Never less than 2, though, not to my recollection.

Frosty
05-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Raw apple cider vinegar is good. It helps with digestion through increasing stomach acidity, it helps with intestinal health, it is alkalanizing to the body, it dramatically reduces the insulin response of carbs when you take even 2 tsp with a meal (30% drop), and I've even seen info on it helping to assist glycogen storage.

I could see taking ACV with meals as being beneficial to prep, especially those that eat carbs during this time.

SallyAnne
05-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Raw apple cider vinegar is good. It helps with digestion through increasing stomach acidity, it helps with intestinal health, it is alkalanizing to the body, it dramatically reduces the insulin response of carbs when you take even 2 tsp with a meal (30% drop), and I've even seen info on it helping to assist glycogen storage.

I could see taking ACV with meals as being beneficial to prep, especially those that eat carbs during this time.

yeppers. I put it on my salad (with mac nut oil) every night.

musclegoddess65
05-03-2009, 07:37 PM
yeppers. I put tit on my salad (with mac nut oil) every night.

sallyanne you put tit on your salad! :D JK...lol..

Scoobysnacks
05-03-2009, 08:16 PM
it dramatically reduces the insulin response of carbs when you take even 2 tsp with a meal (30% drop), and I've even seen info on it helping to assist glycogen storage.

Yep this is what Ive read and the only reason Id consider it during prep, I use other OTC aids to control insulin, but this might be a wise addition on veggies.......especially if the meal contains some starchy carbs with it.

Ken "Skip" Hill
05-03-2009, 09:23 PM
.but I only had to do one tbsp before bedtime...

And that is just one example of someone giving advice on something that they don't know enough about how it works. If being used to lower the GI of carbs, it has to be taken at every carb meal, not at bedtime.

I will stop there so as not to be entirely disrespectful to your passed preppers.

Skip

Lee Penman
05-04-2009, 12:27 AM
I've been using it for years to dilute ketchup and dijon mustard etc, I find them too thick and the cider vinegar does the trick with health benefits!

The Big Sexy
05-04-2009, 12:41 AM
And that is just one example of someone giving advice on something that they don't know enough about how it works. If being used to lower the GI of carbs, it has to be taken at every carb meal, not at bedtime.

I will stop there so as not to be entirely disrespectful to your passed preppers.

Skip

Skip - what do you think about this guys condition/shape for the show he did - Shawn Ray Classic in Colorado in 2007? Think Apple Cider Vinegar could help him?? :)

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/cditty/teamskip1.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/cditty/teamskip2.jpg

Ken "Skip" Hill
05-04-2009, 04:41 AM
LOL
So you're not a Skip fan?

Oh, you are good. I prep how many guys a year and you pick the guy that WON the Shawn Ray but lost the overall due to a judges meeting in the afternoon regarding his back acne? You picked great pics, too. You worked hard, bro. Nice work.

Let's be clear, here: He WON the heavies and lost the overall due to back acne after a judges meeting in the afternoon saying clearly "this guy can't win the overall". You found some pics of him halfway between poses to show his condition even worse than it was. He wasn't in great condition but he did win the heavies and would have won the show if it weren't for the judging panel and I have no problem saying this publicly because I am a judge in Colorado (though I don't judge anymore) and know this first hand.

Now, on to you: When you can even REMOTELY hang with my reputation of the condition that my competitors show up on stage in AND/OR show up in condition that I get into when I compete, then you will have my respect.

If you want to, you could jump over to the maxxmuscle thread and see that he just won his weightclass and overall and qualified for the british nationals in 3 weeks. That would just be yet another TEAM SKIP client.

Keep up the good work, bro. : )

Skip

The Big Sexy
05-04-2009, 09:36 AM
LOL

Oh, you are good. I prep how many guys a year and you pick the guy that WON the Shawn Ray but lost the overall due to a judges meeting in the afternoon regarding his back acne? You picked great pics, too. You worked hard, bro. Nice work.

Let's be clear, here: He WON the heavies and lost the overall due to back acne after a judges meeting in the afternoon saying clearly "this guy can't win the overall". You found some pics of him halfway between poses to show his condition even worse than it was. He wasn't in great condition but he did win the heavies and would have won the show if it weren't for the judging panel and I have no problem saying this publicly because I am a judge in Colorado (though I don't judge anymore) and know this first hand.

Now, on to you: When you can even REMOTELY hang with my reputation of the condition that my competitors show up on stage in AND/OR show up in condition that I get into when I compete, then you will have my respect.

If you want to, you could jump over to the maxxmuscle thread and see that he just won his weightclass and overall and qualified for the british nationals in 3 weeks. That would just be yet another TEAM SKIP client.

Skip

Whoa whoa whoa... wait, you got this guy ready for a show??? I merely picked this guy because ... as I remember it - the third place competitor Bill Cummings - a guy I used to know well - came in 3rd. Looked pretty good from what I remember... I remember a few rumors about the judging panel as well... *shrug*?

As for finding good/bad pictures... the judges are always watching while you are on stage... if the camera man could catch it - I'm sure the judges did too.

Me? I've done 3 shows... one of which I prepped myself for (the first one)... When I start competing as long as THIS guy has - then I'll start comparing myself to people's conditioning, size and maturity on stage... until then, I'll only gauge myself against my OWN improvements... ;)

So, you see Skip, I don't celebrate or not-celebrate you... everyone has a different plan, or different way to make things work. And it isn't about hating Team Skip - I've seen some of your guys who have looked absolutely outstanding.

However, I have read several of your posts here where you more than snidely (very subtlety) have put down some techniques, prep foods, etc. These items might not work well in your plan (for whatever reason) but it doesn't mean they don't have a place in other's plans, ya know?

You have me twisted man - I don't dislike you at all... ;)

hulk7280
05-04-2009, 09:43 AM
LOL

Skip

wow that crap happens at shows?

The Big Sexy
05-04-2009, 01:11 PM

Many NPC judges frown upon obvious signs of steroid use. It's a bit nuts... Because they want u to "look" like u are on steroids... But not LOOK like it...

Not to mention, I think this guy was also penalized for gh gut... And his backne wasn't little zits, they were big purple sores.

Still... You could make a strong argument for his heavy win... Overall, it wasn't like he was leaps and bounds ahead of anyone.

~gymdiva~
05-04-2009, 01:20 PM

Skip

hahahaha actually, they're two friends of your's unless things have changed! but I think it wasn't for carb control or any of that...who knows what they do now since I no longer use them...

Ken "Skip" Hill
05-05-2009, 04:39 AM
I am a very defensive person when it comes to people that like to jump on that one client that things didn't go well with while overlooking the rest of the client field and figured that is what you were doing considering I DID prep him for that show, yes. Odd coincidence but if you say so, I believe you. I have caught a lot of shit for prepping Chris as the Jr Nationals 2 weeks after THAT show was a trainwreck for reasons I would rather not get into.

I do agree that I am VERY opinionated and I also agree that there isn't always one way. However, some things are just plain wrong when when you don't do something correctly. The apple cidar vinegar is a good example and that is why I gave my opinion on it.

Skip

Whoa whoa whoa... wait, you got this guy ready for a show??? I merely picked this guy because ... as I remember it - the third place competitor Bill Cummings - a guy I used to know well - came in 3rd. Looked pretty good from what I remember... I remember a few rumors about the judging panel as well... *shrug*?

As for finding good/bad pictures... the judges are always watching while you are on stage... if the camera man could catch it - I'm sure the judges did too.

Me? I've done 3 shows... one of which I prepped myself for (the first one)... When I start competing as long as THIS guy has - then I'll start comparing myself to people's conditioning, size and maturity on stage... until then, I'll only gauge myself against my OWN improvements... ;)

So, you see Skip, I don't celebrate or not-celebrate you... everyone has a different plan, or different way to make things work. And it isn't about hating Team Skip - I've seen some of your guys who have looked absolutely outstanding.

However, I have read several of your posts here where you more than snidely (very subtlety) have put down some techniques, prep foods, etc. These items might not work well in your plan (for whatever reason) but it doesn't mean they don't have a place in other's plans, ya know?

You have me twisted man - I don't dislike you at all... ;)

Ken "Skip" Hill
05-05-2009, 04:40 AM

Unfortunately, yes.

Skip

Ken "Skip" Hill
05-05-2009, 04:41 AM
Many NPC judges frown upon obvious signs of steroid use. It's a bit nuts... Because they want u to "look" like u are on steroids... But not LOOK like it...

Not to mention, I think this guy was also penalized for gh gut... And his backne wasn't little zits, they were big purple sores.

Still... You could make a strong argument for his heavy win... Overall, it wasn't like he was leaps and bounds ahead of anyone.

I agree with all of your points here. The acne was very hard to overlook as he has scarring from septic shock a few years prior.

Skip

Ken "Skip" Hill
05-05-2009, 04:42 AM
hahahaha actually, they're two friends of your's unless things have changed! but I think it wasn't for carb control or any of that...who knows what they do now since I no longer use them...

Things have changed DRASTICALLY, yes. That is why I mentioned it. : )

Skip

The Big Sexy
05-05-2009, 12:15 PM
I am a very defensive person when it comes to people that like to jump on that one client that things didn't go well with while overlooking the rest of the client field and figured that is what you were doing considering I DID prep him for that show, yes. Odd coincidence but if you say so, I believe you. I have caught a lot of shit for prepping Chris as the Jr Nationals 2 weeks after THAT show was a trainwreck for reasons I would rather not get into.

I do agree that I am VERY opinionated and I also agree that there isn't always one way. However, some things are just plain wrong when when you don't do something correctly. The apple cidar vinegar is a good example and that is why I gave my opinion on it.

Skip

IMO - it was a controversial class - and that is why it stuck out in my mind the most. My friend Bill, I think, may have come in a little flat. I think if he were to have come in around 225 instead of 218 (he was around 229-230 a week or so out??) he would have faired better... I always have believed size/shape beats conditioning any day (unless you are totally a fat ass LOL)

Well - opinionated is a good thing. And if you know the whole story - then your opinion can really be a good thing. I hear of some preppers doing this or that and I am like "Are they for REAL?!?" but then I see they are doing just about everything completely different, and it make sense.

You are good at what you do - and that is all that matters. If other prep coaches are f'ing up... good for your business then, yeah? :)

~gymdiva~
05-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Things have changed DRASTICALLY, yes. That is why I mentioned it. : )

Skip

gotcha :ok:

Scoobysnacks
05-05-2009, 01:14 PM
... I always have believed size/shape beats conditioning any day (unless you are totally a fat ass LOL)

I respectfully disagree. My most recent client won the overall at the Mr Cincy at a bodyweight of 163 (you can see him at Jrs Nationals in the welters), shredded to pieces. He was EASILY the most shredded guy in the show and dry as shit. Only reason I mention anything here is because I think this thinking is flawed and could hold you back. He beat out a lightheavy with cross striated quads but not overall conditioned and a heaveyweight that was hard from the front but not the back but probably outweighed him by 70 lbs.

Point is, I think conditioning/shape, not size/shape will win a show. Anyone can be big. Now you put together conditioned head to toe, shape and size and you are going places.

I just thought Id comment, for nothing else, than to just add my viewpoint.

Ken "Skip" Hill
05-05-2009, 02:01 PM
I think after having some time to reflect back on that show, I don't doubt that the "hype" of Bill and Chris coming into the show may have not worked to Bill's advantage. I won't say that the judging was corrupt because it is very difficult to really do that with an entire panel but I do think that Bill was MUCH better than 3rd and that Bill and Chris should have been battling for 1st. Chris was absolutely not at his best and even though Bill was flat he was arguably just as good as Chris and I knew that even as Chris was being called the class winner. Now, for what it is worth, Bill looked completely different (and better) for the night show and I do wonder what would have happened at PJing had he been in that condition, in the morning.

There is something to say for being a hometown guy in a regional show in your hometown. Even without a judge wanting or meaning to be bias, human nature is that you tend to favor those types of situations, I think.

Skip

IMO - it was a controversial class - and that is why it stuck out in my mind the most. My friend Bill, I think, may have come in a little flat. I think if he were to have come in around 225 instead of 218 (he was around 229-230 a week or so out??) he would have faired better... I always have believed size/shape beats conditioning any day (unless you are totally a fat ass LOL)

Well - opinionated is a good thing. And if you know the whole story - then your opinion can really be a good thing. I hear of some preppers doing this or that and I am like "Are they for REAL?!?" but then I see they are doing just about everything completely different, and it make sense.

You are good at what you do - and that is all that matters. If other prep coaches are f'ing up... good for your business then, yeah? :)

tammyp
05-07-2009, 05:48 AM
ok back on topic here! :)

thanks for all the responses. it has to RAW or ORGANIC right? i think ill use it on my veggies over drinking it.

fits
05-07-2009, 06:30 AM
I found my organic ACV the other morign and took a shot in with soem water...... no idea why lol whats it good for again?

anyone used it and noticed a difference?

Wolfstriked
05-16-2009, 03:08 PM
A guy I drink with who is74 yrs old swears by it.Hes like a kid and drinks heavily,dances and just looks vibrant.He says he has been using ACV for yrs and found no difference with organic or Heinz so sticks with Heinz brand.2 shot glasses of ACV per day.

I started to do it and found that my teeth started getting sensitive.I am 39 yrs old and never had a cavity in my life and didnt want to start so I stopped.I wish I could get a way to drink it without it wearing down the tooth enamel.

Frosty
05-16-2009, 09:26 PM
I found my organic ACV the other morign and took a shot in with soem water...... no idea why lol whats it good for again?

anyone used it and noticed a difference?

2 tsp with a carb containing meal can drop the insulin response 30%, which is very significant. Has to be taken with meals for this effect. Also assists digestion of food. This is a good thing for anyone eating meals with carbs that aren't post-workout.

Sledge
05-17-2009, 04:40 AM
I have a tablespoon every morning in in a glass of water. Just for general health. I get it by the jug from my local stock feeders. Oh my horses get it every morning too.

BigBilly
05-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Yep this is what Ive read and the only reason Id consider it during prep, I use other OTC aids to control insulin, but this might be a wise addition on veggies.......especially if the meal contains some starchy carbs with it.
what work u use otc?

FoodFreak
09-12-2009, 06:27 PM

would these same health/bodybuilding benefits apply to red wine vinegar? or are they specific to something(s) in ACV only?

JAM
09-12-2009, 07:47 PM
I've only heard good things and honestly gave it a shot and tried to be consistent with it but even when mixing it with water or anything it was just too strong for me. I couldn't stick with it because it was just too god awfully gross. I admire those who can stomach it.

Bacon Boy
09-12-2009, 08:14 PM
A guy I drink with who is74 yrs old swears by it.Hes like a kid and drinks heavily,dances and just looks vibrant.He says he has been using ACV for yrs and found no difference with organic or Heinz so sticks with Heinz brand.2 shot glasses of ACV per day.

I work at a GNC and we sell the Bragg's unfiltered the old people go crazy for it!

I started to do it and found that my teeth started getting sensitive.I am 39 yrs old and never had a cavity in my life and didnt want to start so I stopped.I wish I could get a way to drink it without it wearing down the tooth enamel.

I was thinking about a table spoon in every meal, but then I thought back when I used to be addicted to the tastes of lemon juice and it honestly started to thin my enamel...

2 tsp with a carb containing meal can drop the insulin response 30%, which is very significant. Has to be taken with meals for this effect. Also assists digestion of food. This is a good thing for anyone eating meals with carbs that aren't post-workout.

That's extremely significant...

would these same health/bodybuilding benefits apply to red wine vinegar? or are they specific to something(s) in ACV only?

There is an article in both flex and md and conscience was it didnt matter whether it was white or apple cider, no mention to Red wine, which could carry some trace amounts of resveratrol??? The MD article states that there are several genes turning off fat accumulation and helping release stored fatty tissues, I am not looking at it in front of me tho so there could be mis quoting/understanding...

FoodFreak
09-12-2009, 08:20 PM
I was thinking about a table spoon in every meal, but then I thought back when I used to be addicted to the tastes of lemon juice and it honestly started to thin my enamel...

That's extremely significant...

There is an article in both flex and md and conscience was it didnt matter whether it was white or apple cider, no mention to Red wine, which could carry some trace amounts of resveratrol??? The MD article states that there are several genes turning off fat accumulation and helping release stored fatty tissues, I am not looking at it in front of me tho so there could be mis quoting/understanding...

Logically, it would seem its the acetic acid, not the source- although the source may contribute different benefits (like you said, potential reserveratrol etc... although doubtfully significant if any).. I have been adding it at about half a tbsp to 4 of 6 my meals (on dark leafy greens).

can't say much yet for it helping my reflux... which i thought was due to being overly alkaline- however it still sadly remains undiagnosed....