PDA

View Full Version : NAS at the Arnold Strongman

robert da strongman
05-04-2009, 04:33 PM
oh hell yes!!

Amateur Strongmen: Qualify for the Arnold by Randall J. Strossen, Ph.D. | ©2009 IronMind

American Strongman Corporation (ASC) president Dione Wessels has announced that “the first Platinum-Plus show for the 2010 season will be in Columbus, Ohio, during the Arnold Classic Weekend.”

“We are very excited to be part of the Arnold Classic. Our athletes have competed there since the inception of the Arnold Strongman event. American Strongman Pro Derek Poundstone won the event this year,” said Wessels.

According to the official ASC press release, this competition “will be open to NAS (North American Strongman) competitors and international amateurs,” and ASC vice president Mike Johnston is quoted as saying, “This is just another opportunity for the American Strongman pro to amateur system to be on center stage. An amateur athlete will get a chance to win an ASC Pro-Card on the biggest fitness stage in the world.” And here’s the carrot: “The new ASC Pro will also get a guaranteed invite to the 2011 Arnold Strongman event,” said Johnston.

IronMind asked how this would fit in with the Arnold Strongman contest run by Terry Todd and ASC president Dione Wessels explained, “It is in conjunction with Terry's contest. The amateurs will compete Friday morning and then on Sunday. The overall winner will get a guaranteed spot to the 2011 pro contest that Terry runs.”

Asked if an invitation one year out was a little long, Wessels told IronMind, “Yes, but the winner would also get his pro card and be invited to compete in other shows through out the season.”

Given the way ASC was positioned in the official statement, IronMind asked Wessels a follow-up question about whether ASC and NAS were becoming one organization and Wessels, said, “No, NAS will continue to be the feeder to ASC. Because of athletes such as Derek [Poundstone], Travis [Ortmayer], Van Hatfield, Brian Shaw, and many others, the system has proven that it works. I am not trying to take anything away from any promoter anywhere; we just want to see the sport grow globally while working with other promoters in giving their athletes some of the same opportunities that they extend to the American athletes. This time, it is just on an amateur level. Of course we will continue to do things on a merit basis.”

Stay tuned for more details.

GameofInches
05-04-2009, 04:40 PM
That is an AMAZING oppurtunity for who ever wins it. I wish I was at that level, but not yet:mad:

robert da strongman
05-04-2009, 06:21 PM
oh that thing is going to be heavy...

i must make plans to go watch

musclegoddess65
05-04-2009, 06:47 PM
SWEET!!!! have to make sure whatever job I get once in Florida... I tell them of March 2010 plans in advance....

tjoe
05-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Very heavy!

robert da strongman
05-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Very heavy!

i can only imagine....

but this is good for all of us as strongmen.

robert da strongman
05-28-2009, 03:20 PM
Amateur Strongman Contest at the Arnold Next Year
by Randall J. Strossen, Ph.D. | ©2009 IronMind

Confirming an earlier report, the Arnold Sports Festival has announced that North American Strongman (NAS) “will join forces with The Arnold Sports Festival to present the 2010 Arnold Amateur Strongman.”

According to the press release, “The competition will feature a selection of up to 50 amateur strongman athletes from around the world. Ten top amateur strongmen from the United States and Canada are expected to compete, including Texas’s Ryan Bracewell and Dan Harrison of California.”

Dr. Terry Todd was quoted as being “in full support of this new event” and saying, “We intend to invite the winner of the event to take part in the 2011 Arnold Strongman Classic.”

NAS president and CEO Dione Wessels said, “Athletes will qualify for the Arnold Amateur Strongman at July’s America’s Strongest Man contest in Bangor, Maine and October’s Amateur National Championships in Lafayette, Louisiana. Additional spots will be determined in partnership with sanctioning bodies across the world.”

Thad
05-28-2009, 10:02 PM
This is great

thachozenonebx
05-28-2009, 10:05 PM
i thought you meant the rapper Nas...