PDA

View Full Version : Experience with OCB?

SoxFan11
05-04-2009, 10:39 PM
Has anyone competed in an OCB show before? If so, how was your experience? I am contemplating the Cape Cod Natural in October.

I say contemplating because I am not 100% certain that I meet their guidelines for natural. You see, I have used PH in the past. And while I think that I discontinued their use in accordance with OCB's guidelines, I am not positive. I know that I could probably pass the polygraph either way, but I don't want to be one of those guys who competes in a show he shouldn't.

MsGuns
05-04-2009, 10:41 PM
Has anyone competed in an OCB show before? If so, how was your experience? I am contemplating the Cape Cod Natural in October.

I say contemplating because I am not 100% certain that I meet their guidelines for natural. You see, I have used PH in the past. And while I think that I discontinued their use in accordance with OCB's guidelines, I am not positive. I know that I could probably pass the polygraph either way, but I don't want to be one of those guys who competes in a show he shouldn't.

I did an OCB as a fitness model here in Tx...
Ive done an IFPA Pro show also...
Both shows were ran well.

Curt James
05-04-2009, 11:08 PM

You should know by now I haven't competed, but I've attended OCB shows and they've been fantastic. I'm sure every promoter is different, but my experiences have all been positive.

:bowdown: OCB :bowdown:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=curtjames&view=videos&start=40

SoxFan11
05-05-2009, 12:37 AM
I think Layne guest posed at the show last year. Plus, there is also a pro show at the same time/venue. The whole thing is sponsored by Gaspari, I believe.

nutratroy
05-06-2009, 02:03 AM
OCB rocks bro. Call them at the office if your totally unsure. They should have an clear definitive answer 4 u.

indianamonster1986
05-06-2009, 02:42 AM

Nope never competed at the OCB, but I eat the til I puke evey time I go there. This is Old Country Buffet. right...

SoxFan11
05-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Nope never competed at the OCB, but I eat the til I puke evey time I go there. This is Old Country Buffet. right...

You know what we call that place? White Trash Buffet. lolz

SoxFan11
05-06-2009, 07:06 PM
OCB rocks bro. Call them at the office if your totally unsure. They should have an clear definitive answer 4 u.

Yeah, I was going to contact the promoter to be sure. I have a few friends who have competed in natural shows that were far from natural. And I have no desire to be one of those guys.

GirlyMuscle
05-06-2009, 07:30 PM
TammyP has I think. I first met her on their boards.

serratus
05-25-2009, 09:53 AM
Yeah, I was going to contact the promoter to be sure. I have a few friends who have competed in natural shows that were far from natural. And I have no desire to be one of those guys.

Brand new member here, in fact this is my first post to this board. I stumbled across the board just yesterday.

I started competing in '07 and so far have done only OCB shows. That means I can't compare by first hand experience competing in the OCB vs. other org.s but I can tell you with absolutely no hesitation it is an excellent organization with well-run shows. Iv'e done the Cape Cod Naturals twice and I can't see any way it could have been run better either time. The promoters are among the best in the sport (James Carron, IFPA pro bb and Katie Carron, IFPA pro figure competitor) and they pay a lot of attention to making everything work well for the competitors. Also the judges are always top notch, and the sportsmanship among the competitors is great. The Cape in October is one of the biggest natty events of the season in our region and no question also one of the best - in terms of quality of competition as well as quality of administration. There is usually an excellent battle for not just the overall, but for division wins as well.

I also want to commend you on what you're saying, how you're respecting the rules of the field you choose to play on. In the OCB I know it's 7 years clean for some things, but you can find restrictions substance by substance here:
http://www.theocbwebsite.com/forms/DrugTestingGuidelines.pdf (http://www.theocbwebsite.com/guidelines.htm)

Whether you decide to compete there or not, you should go check out the contest.

serratus
05-25-2009, 10:01 AM
LOL pencilneck eh? I guess b/c I'm a newbie here.
Tiny avatar also.

MsGuns
05-25-2009, 10:06 AM
LOL pencilneck eh? I guess b/c I'm a newbie here.
Tiny avatar also.

great post above...
i think ur title changes by the # of posts u have made...
so get to postin...lol

matt1005
05-25-2009, 11:36 AM
I have earned my procard in the OCB. It is a good organtization. To me they focus a lot on condition. The show you are talking about doing, I have only heard very very good things about.

SoxFan11
06-05-2009, 12:57 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I had almost forgot about this thread! I'm going to contact the promoters and let them know my story and see what they suggest.

dajossel
06-07-2009, 02:31 PM
I just competed in an OCB show and enjoyed it. Very well run, I must say though I was cheated for the place above me, which is clearly evident from the contest pictures. Other than that the show was a great experience.

4evermuscle
06-08-2009, 03:40 AM
I competed in an OCB show last year. Well run. Good show.

serratus
06-08-2009, 07:58 PM
I just competed in an OCB show and enjoyed it. Very well run, I must say though I was cheated for the place above me, which is clearly evident from the contest pictures. Other than that the show was a great experience.

Couple things to say here:
Photos are never an accurate replacement for the way the judges see competitors.

Every judge at every OCB show I have been to or competed in has been top notch: experienced in the sport, fair and they pay a lot of attention to their responsibility. If they put the other guy ahead of you, they had reasons. Remember, they saw the other guy much more clearly than you ever had the chance to. No one on stage or backstage can compare themselves with opponents as well as the judges can from where they sit, when they have everyone lined up equally in front of them.

All that said, if you're accusing the person who placed above you of being less than "clean" as regards the OCB banned substance list - unfortunately that does happen occasionally. They beat the poly. Far as I'm concerned, winning that way is a cheap victory.

indianamonster1986
06-08-2009, 08:07 PM
You know what we call that place? White Trash Buffet. lolz

Maybe in your neck of the woods, but where I go it is the hood rat/8 mile buffet....

matt1005
06-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Couple things to say here:
Photos are never an accurate replacement for the way the judges see competitors.

Every judge at every OCB show I have been to or competed in has been top notch: experienced in the sport, fair and they pay a lot of attention to their responsibility. If they put the other guy ahead of you, they had reasons. Remember, they saw the other guy much more clearly than you ever had the chance to. No one on stage or backstage can compare themselves with opponents as well as the judges can from where they sit, when they have everyone lined up equally in front of them.

All that said, if you're accusing the person who placed above you of being less than "clean" as regards the OCB banned substance list - unfortunately that does happen occasionally. They beat the poly. Far as I'm concerned, winning that way is a cheap victory.
I was really trying to keep from commenting on what was said about the placing. You put it well in your reply.

dajossel
06-09-2009, 01:18 AM
Im not saying that the competitor was using any sort of banned substance I am just saying I went through all the pictures and all I was able to see was better legs on the other competitor. In no way do I want to seem like this is the end of the world because as I said it was a great experience. I would for sure do the same show again in the future. If my first post came off as whiney I apologize.

serratus
06-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Im not saying that the competitor was using any sort of banned substance I am just saying I went through all the pictures and all I was able to see was better legs on the other competitor. In no way do I want to seem like this is the end of the world because as I said it was a great experience. I would for sure do the same show again in the future. If my first post came off as whiney I apologize.

No worries. And I didn't want to write a big attack b/c I couldn't tell if it was just a lingering thought in your head or if you were seriously pissed off. (Can never really tell from just words on a screen.) I only responded b/c there are times when placings aren't really clear and I've seen guys take it well while others make a big stink right there on stage.

Better legs on the other guy if everything else is equal could be it. Sometimes the results hinge on one vote, your situation could have been one of those times. It has happened to me at least once that I know of.

There was also a time when I was placed behind a guy I was sure I had beaten. I'm not a big dude but I had at least 10 lb on him, had symmetry, proportionality, and my conditioning was as hard and dry as his. Still they put him one slot ahead of me in the class. I asked a judge afterwards and he said in some poses that guy just seemed to "pop" a little more than I did on stage. I figured ok but there's gonna be a next time - and next time, he WILL be eating my dust. :flex:

Team Franco
08-07-2009, 08:52 AM
Just wanted to bump this, as I promote an OCB show, and will be competing again with the IFPA in Oct.

Any questions about the OCB, I would be glad to do my best and answer!