PDA

View Full Version : Bench Press VS Db Press

Sliced N Diced
05-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Which do you feel is more effective for building a base chest. Im young and wondering if maybe I should just switch them up while building my foundation first. Any thoughts on which is better etc....

Diabetic Muscle
05-05-2009, 04:08 PM
I like a combination of the two but if I had to pick one I would say barbell. Solely for the fact that most times you can use more weight. Now I am gonna contradict myself and tell you whichever you feel more in your chest.

Wheels
05-05-2009, 04:10 PM
It depends on how you're 'put together', for lack of a better term. Some guys are suited just fine for BB Bench Press, others for DB Bench Press, still others neither. I find I achieve much greater stimulation with DBs. Try them both, and stick with the one that stimulates the muscle better (assuming it's not causing discomfort).

Shadow
05-05-2009, 04:25 PM
It depends on how you're 'put together', for lack of a better term. Some guys are suited just fine for BB Bench Press, others for DB Bench Press, still others neither. I find I achieve much greater stimulation with DBs. Try them both, and stick with the one that stimulates the muscle better (assuming it's not causing discomfort).

X2. It's gonna be something you have to play around with to get the right answer for you.

MichaelWayne
05-05-2009, 04:37 PM
I like doing Bar Inclines with DB Flats one week then Flat Bar with DB Incline the next workout. But it all depends on how your body responds to the exercises.

You just gotta see what works for you.

Frosty
05-05-2009, 04:55 PM
For a good chest, use both methods throughout your training programs, and use many different planes or motion, for example high incline, moderate incline, flat, decline, and dips with a pronated hand position.

buckimscl
05-05-2009, 04:56 PM
I use both but it seems that bb bothers my shoulder when I get over 275 or so and db's don't. Not really sure why though.

JAR OF NATTY
05-05-2009, 07:26 PM
decline dumbbells and incline dumbbells build a nice set of tits

Frosty
05-05-2009, 07:48 PM
decline dumbbells and incline dumbbells build a nice set of tits

I'd be curious to know how inclines would build a set of "tits" when they stress the upper sternal portion of the pectoralis.

bigdaddyd
05-05-2009, 07:55 PM
I use both but it seems that bb bothers my shoulder when I get over 275 or so and db's don't. Not really sure why though.

And I am the exact opposite. Once I got over the 70's or 80's on DB, I can ONLY do barbell because the DB's hurt my shoulders something fierce.

But in general, when I was doing them, I had better squeeze with the DB than I do with the barbell

Shadow
05-05-2009, 07:55 PM
I'd be curious to know how inclines would build a set of "tits" when they stress the upper sternal portion of the pectoralis.

LOL

i

Darkhrse99
05-05-2009, 07:59 PM
I did bb for years and now I switched it up to db. You can't lift as much, but I think you can get better symentry doing db. At least that is why I switched.

Curt James
05-05-2009, 08:47 PM
And I am the exact opposite. Once I got over the 70's or 80's on DB, I can ONLY do barbell because the DB's hurt my shoulders something fierce.

But in general, when I was doing them, I had better squeeze with the DB than I do with the barbell

My arms are a mile long so I've never been any great shakes for bench, but I prefer dumbbells as I got the opposite of your opposite, bigdaddyd. lol

Flat benching kills my shoulders.

anthony1992
05-06-2009, 09:51 AM
i like dumbbells better

canadian-muscle
05-18-2009, 08:03 PM
Just repeating what was said a thousand times but ,
I would use both for the fist little while till you find out which hits your pecs better,
i personaly alternate on them doing the dumbells for 2 weeks the barbell for two
however my gym just invested in a new Hammerstrength bench machine so i have been using that for the last month and it works really well .

chasebny
05-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Try it all. Various angles, BB or DB, machines. Not in the same workout, but over a course of time. Stick with the same movement at the beginning of your workout for a couple months, then change. See what works best.

Try mixing in pushups too. And if your benching, or even pressing, train your rotator cuff.