PDA

View Full Version : To what extent are you your body?

Tatyana
05-05-2009, 05:15 PM
With all the make-over programs on telly right now, it seems like more and more people are buying into the idea that lives can be radically altered though make-overs.

Supposedly unattractive people who aer unhappy with their lives are transformed into supposedly more beautiful and happy people leading satisfying lives.

In reality, however, does reshaping the body radically change people's identities and experience of the world?

People use their bodies, through particular lifestyles to form an 'identity project'.

It is thought that body projects are a way for individuals to express themselves to feel good and gain some control over their lives, challenge accepted social ideas about what is normal or natural.

As bodybuilders, and in particular female bodybuilders, did your opinion of yourself and experience of yourself in the world alter as your body changed?

Do you think that you took up bodybuilding to feel good, exert control or challenge societal norms?

figurebre
05-06-2009, 12:59 AM
Yes, I believe the way you feel about yourself and the way that others view you can radically change how happy you are.
If I feel fat and insecure, I will be shy, quiet and timid. Whenever I am in contest prep or in shape- I feel beautiful, confident and outgoing. My entire personality is different when I am in shape compared to when I am chubby.
I do think beautiful people are much happier.

stephaniewicked
05-06-2009, 01:34 AM
Good thread! I don't know if I agree that beautiful people are happier. Are they happier with their bodies? Probably most definitely! Happier with life? Not necessarily... I've had days where I know I was lean as hell and looked and physically felt amazing, but I was emotionally on a downward spiral because of stress or problems with work, school, my family, my friendships/relationship, etc... feeling fit doesn't fix those things by any means (same as money can't buy happiness), however I DO think that self confidence and self perception soar through the roof and it can make you feel better about yourself... just not your life as an overall.

Does that make sense?

Personally, I do feel better about myself and my life in the grand scheme of things when I'm feeling/looking great or after I have a good workout or I'm walking around with soreness from a great workout, etc...

Suzy Brown
05-06-2009, 07:58 AM
This will be interesting...

Personally I say there is nothing more important in life than being a pretty girl.

Allifit
05-06-2009, 08:00 AM
In reality, however, does reshaping the body radically change people's identities and experience of the world?
I think it depends on how much emphasis you put on looks to begin with. There are always people who are more concerned with their appearance and draw more importance from it then others. There are plenty of less then beautiful people who live fullfilled lives because they do not identify as much with their apperance as others. In a way I think sometimes people who arent as in tune with their looks have the better end of the deal. Being constantly in tune with how your body looks and how you look tends to make you nit picky and very self critical.

As bodybuilders, and in particular female bodybuilders, did your opinion of yourself and experience of yourself in the world alter as your body changed?

Oh yes...

Do you think that you took up bodybuilding to feel good, exert control or challenge societal norms?
Very much so. I posted in another are of the Body and Soul forum, my person reasons for getting so into weight lifting, and those reasons had a lot to do with the fact that I was raped at 19. When I did begin lifting a lot, I was still going to see a counselor, and her immediate response to my newfound focus on weight training was that it was a way for me to regain control over my life and feel strong and secure in my body again.

Lee Penman
05-06-2009, 11:05 AM
With all the make-over programs on telly right now, it seems like more and more people are buying into the idea that lives can be radically altered though make-overs.

Supposedly unattractive people who aer unhappy with their lives are transformed into supposedly more beautiful and happy people leading satisfying lives.

People use their bodies, through particular lifestyles to form an 'identity project'.

It is thought that body projects are a way for individuals to express themselves to feel good and gain some control over their lives, challenge accepted social ideas about what is normal or natural.

I know that becoming involved in bodybuilding certainly changed me on a mental level.
It gave me more confidence and belief in myself.

Allifit
05-06-2009, 11:49 AM
I know that becoming involved in bodybuilding certainly changed me on a mental level.

x2 :)

RDFinders
05-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Very much so. I posted in another are of the Body and Soul forum, my person reasons for getting so into weight lifting, and those reasons had a lot to do with the fact that I was raped at 19. When I did begin lifting a lot, I was still going to see a counselor, and her immediate response to my newfound focus on weight training was that it was a way for me to regain control over my life and feel strong and secure in my body again.
i am just curious about what you have said with regards to being raped. i was raped by a former boss and sexually harassed. it started during my pregnancy which is why i didn't complain about it or fight it b/c i wanted to keep my job. i slipped into depression about it and my body reflected it. but since competiting, i have made necessary changes, but still have challenges showing my body off. you seem to be quite comfortable with displaying yours and i think i read else where you do online stuff, i think it is online chatting/flexing/etc. may be it is the time frame at which my experience happened - almost 2 years ago compared to yours. so i am just wondering how did you get here with your comfort level? i guess is the best way i can articulate the question/wonderment on my part.

SallyAnne
05-06-2009, 02:37 PM

Me, too...and that confidence effects other parts of my life - so I would definitely say that it's made me a happier person.

Tatyana
05-06-2009, 04:29 PM
I think it depends on how much emphasis you put on looks to begin with. There are always people who are more concerned with their appearance and draw more importance from it then others. There are plenty of less then beautiful people who live fullfilled lives because they do not identify as much with their apperance as others. In a way I think sometimes people who arent as in tune with their looks have the better end of the deal. Being constantly in tune with how your body looks and how you look tends to make you nit picky and very self critical.

Do you think this has more to do with the 'beautiful' people seeking external validation?

Naomi Wolf's first book, The Beauty Myth, addressed quite a few issues around beauty. Beautiful people are often given jobs and promotions before their less attractive counterparts, however, she also brought up a double-edged sword to this.

Do beautiful people ever really know they are being accepted for who they are or what their skill are, or is it just based on the physical?

What is going to happen to those that, for the most part, identify with being their body/beautiful as it changes due to age?

Oh yes...

I was beaten up at around 13/14, and I started to focus on long distance running and lifting weights at 15.

I think that there are quite a few BBers that have a very similar experience that has them need to feel stronger.

I have always loved the feeling of being strong and fit.

Suzy Brown
05-06-2009, 04:42 PM
Do you think this has more to do with the 'beautiful' people seeking external validation? Totally. I need my existance validated by strangers. Honestly, what else matters?

Do beautiful people ever really know they are being accepted for who they are or what their skill are, or is it just based on the physical? Personally, I don't care. I want to be respected & taken seriously and if that happens because of how I look versus how I act or how much money I make or how many degrees I hold, who cares. Its work to look good, it takes time & commitment & moxie just like all those other things I listed.

Sistersteel
05-07-2009, 12:21 AM
As bodybuilders, we place far too much emphasis on physical appearance. Our happiness is based on other people’s perception of us, which, in some warped way , makes us feel more valuable and worthy of acceptance. When you are so preoccupied with the body, it is easy to neglect the soul, and that shallowness will corrupt you to the core. A tainted core is far more prevalent than a glamorous surface and that ugliness will always manifest itself in your aura and the energy you emanate. People pick up on those negative vibes very easily rendering everything you thought attractive about yourself repulsive. You choose to separate physical beauty from the other far more attractive virtues you possess as a woman, and that, dear ladies, calls for getting your priorities in check if you are ever to find contentment.

Happiness should transcend the body and beauty is only skin deep. Don’t let your obsessions limit you from tapping into your fill potential as women, mothers, wives, sisters and friends FIRST. Bodybuilders second.

Respect,

SS

sassy69
05-07-2009, 01:52 AM
My physical "look", outside of seeing if a particular body part has improved, is probably the least interesting reasons I lift. I go into my head, turn off the rest of the world and challenge myself to the edge every day. The physical exertion and mental focus works wonders for dealing w/ stress from work, and just the sheer sitting-on-my-ass-all-day-ness of my career choice (software). On weekends when its just to quiet around the house, I find myself going to the gym sometimes just to see who is there to chat w/ a little, than to for training. I compete to set a specific goal to push my body to showcase whatever improvements I've been trying to make towards the "ultimate" physique. And the general confidence I get from all of that feeds into every aspect of my life.

I'd say I am very proud of the physique that I arrive at when I'm in competition prep and love the 4 weeks before & after a show -- its like when I get to let loose my alter ego or something. But for the most part, I'm very comfortable in my own skin, in whatever shape it happens to be. I "own" when I want to junk out and when I start gettign sick of my body if its not in a good place, I'll clean it up and deal w/ it.

Over the years I've wanted to keep the post -show flab from coming back, but "life" has always gotten in the way, in the form of dramatic layoffs from my job, relocation across the country for another job, and most recently, surgeries. I am getting to that tho :) Every time its a little better!

Allifit
05-07-2009, 10:21 AM
My physical "look", outside of seeing if a particular body part has improved, is probably the least interesting reasons I lift. I go into my head, turn off the rest of the world and challenge myself to the edge every day. The physical exertion and mental focus works wonders for dealing w/ stress from work, and just the sheer sitting-on-my-ass-all-day-ness of my career choice (software)!

Sassy brings up a really solid point. At this stage of my life, my gym time is as much mental for me as it ever was physical. Days off from the gym are harder for me to take then are days when I'm not motivated. I have an easier time pushing myself to go then I do allowing myself to hang back. I talk when I'm in the gym, but in general I mostly train alone, have my IPod blasting, and like my solitude. It's my time, generally undisturbed, and I prefer it that way. I think, clear my mind if I need to, and sometimes I enjoy the chance to NOT think, or to not worry- to just lift, and let things be.

SallyAnne
05-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Sassy brings up a really solid point. At this stage of my life, my gym time is as much mental for me as it ever was physical. Days off from the gym are harder for me to take then are days when I'm not motivated. I have an easier time pushing myself to go then I do allowing myself to hang back. I talk when I'm in the gym, but in general I mostly train alone, have my IPod blasting, and like my solitude. It's my time, generally undisturbed, and I prefer it that way. I think, clear my mind if I need to, and sometimes I enjoy the chance to NOT think, or to not worry- to just lift, and let things be.

I couldn't agree more. It's MY time for ME. There is something so valuable about that - it gives me peace and a sense of accomplishment every day.

RDFinders
05-07-2009, 01:25 PM
As bodybuilders, we place far too much emphasis on physical appearance. Our happiness is based on other people’s perception of us, which, in some warped way , makes us feel more valuable and worthy of acceptance. When you are so preoccupied with the body, it is easy to neglect the soul, and that shallowness will corrupt you to the core. A tainted core is far more prevalent than a glamorous surface and that ugliness will always manifest itself in your aura and the energy you emanate. People pick up on those negative vibes very easily rendering everything you thought attractive about yourself repulsive. You choose to separate physical beauty from the other far more attractive virtues you possess as a woman, and that, dear ladies, calls for getting your priorities in check if you are ever to find contentment.

Happiness should transcend the body and beauty is only skin deep. Don’t let your obsessions limit you from tapping into your fill potential as women, mothers, wives, sisters and friends FIRST. Bodybuilders second.

Respect,

SS
very well put.

Suzy Brown
05-07-2009, 01:32 PM
When you are so preoccupied with the body, it is easy to neglect the soul, and that shallowness will corrupt you to the core.
Respect,

SS

IMO, most people who gravitate to a sport like this feel there is something missing, broken, splintered from their soul already. Some are just more or less conscious of the decision... the shallowness & corruption are both cause & effect.

Allifit
05-07-2009, 02:04 PM
IMO, most people who gravitate to a sport like this feel there is something missing, broken, splintered from their soul already. Some are just more or less conscious of the decision...

I couldn't agree more....

musclegoddess65
05-07-2009, 02:43 PM
I made the mistake of thinking by fixing my being over weight and out of shape it would make my life much better...If I lose the weight my job will be better, if I lose the weight my marriage will be saved, if I lose the weight this that or the other will all work out...

I lost the weight and NONE of those things were 'fixed' because I had not fixed the core of the problem... it wasn't the outside of me that was broken and needed mending, it was inside.

I continue with a GREAT therapist to work on those inside things and I have become such a better person because of it... I will never be one of those beautiful women that turns heads when she walks by and 99% of the time, that is just fine, I could care less.. WHY??? because I FEEL beautiful on the inside... I feel better in my own skin...

RDFinders
05-07-2009, 02:50 PM
I made the mistake of thinking by fixing my being over weight and out of shape it would make my life much better...If I lose the weight my job will be better, if I lose the weight my marriage will be saved, if I lose the weight this that or the other will all work out...

I lost the weight and NONE of those things were 'fixed' because I had not fixed the core of the problem... it wasn't the outside of me that was broken and needed mending, it was inside.

I continue with a GREAT therapist to work on those inside things and I have become such a better person because of it... I will never be one of those beautiful women that turns heads when she walks by and 99% of the time, that is just fine, I could care less.. WHY??? because I FEEL beautiful on the inside... I feel better in my own skin...
i have worked with many gastric bypass patietns who experience the same thing. they think life will be great once they lose weight. as part of the screening they have to go through being approved for surgery is looking at the underlying reason of why they became overweight. then they realize it wasn't about nutrition, but about their self-worth and behaviors that extend into other parts of their lives along with being overweight. we do put a lot of emphasis on the physical. granted it should be celebrated b/c it is a partial reflection of your health.

Suzy Brown
05-07-2009, 03:51 PM
. we do put a lot of emphasis on the physical. granted it should be celebrated b/c it is a partial reflection of your health.

That's what I was getting at... that when you care enough to fix your hair & make up & jewelry, wear pleasant clothes, it shows that you are operating with some regard to the rest of society, that you are mentally healthy enough to think beyond just your own eyes & ears.

Looking good is a gift you give others.

Others feel more comfortable in your presence when they feel you are comfortable in your skin. Taking some pride in your appearance is the first & easiest way to convey that sense of self-satisfaction.

Sistersteel
05-07-2009, 05:40 PM
IMO, most people who gravitate to a sport like this feel there is something missing, broken, splintered from their soul already. Some are just more or less conscious of the decision... the shallowness & corruption are both cause & effect.

Using the sport to feed your insecurities is not healthy. Putting up a facade and creating a false perception of happiness in an attempt to exist is deceiving yourself.

If unhealthy people are attracted to the sport, then it is our fault that the sport has the reputation it does, because it harbors so many women with unresolved emotional conflicts. These issues manifest themselves in all sorts of unhealthy behaviors, ranging from eating disorders to drug abuse. What you've once perceived as pretty or beautiful is now corrupt.

My advice to you is, If there is an underlying personal issue that attracts you to this sport, find its roots and address it. If you seek longevity in this industry, mental and emotional stability, or wish to find true contentment in all that the Iron has to offer, you must find the cure to what ails you. The cure is not numbing your body by exhausting it, starving it or abusing it to keep your mind from reminding you of who you really are as a person.

Mind you, I am guilty of having had my insecurities attract me to the sport as well once upon a time. But I've spent years addressing my issues and breaking out of my bad habits to where I can actually love the person I am today. I am not afraid to hurt. I've been able to enjoy and appreciate everything in my life far better since.

Respect,

SS

zander
05-07-2009, 05:43 PM

Respect,

SS

coolest thing Ive read in a long time ...... :cool:

Suzy Brown
05-07-2009, 05:56 PM
If unhealthy people are attracted to the sport, then it is our fault that the sport has the reputation it does, because it harbors so many women with unresolved emotional conflicts. These issues manifest themselves in all sorts of unhealthy behaviors, ranging from eating disorders to drug abuse. What you've once perceived as pretty or beautiful is now corrupt. Many think that BB itself is an unhealthy behavior. I tend to think that 'healthy' people wouldn't ever bother to make themselves larger than life (so to speak.) We feel small & weak on the inside so we strive to be big & strong on the outside.

The cure is not numbing your body by exhausting it, starving it or abusing it to keep your mind from reminding you of who you really are as a person.

Respect,

SS ugg you'll make me cry twice in one day, won't you?! stop that

Sistersteel
05-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Many think that BB itself is an unhealthy behavior. I tend to think that 'healthy' people wouldn't ever bother to make themselves larger than life (so to speak.) We feel small & weak on the inside so we strive to be big & strong on the outside.

ugg you'll make me cry twice in one day, won't you?! stop that

I hate it when my words have that kind of an impact on anyone. I only have good intentions as I have experienced the damages caused by burying pain firsthand. Drop by the NA forum sometime. I honestly only wish to reach out to women in similar situations who have not come to terms with their feelings of resentment. I cannot hug you to comfort you, so I will attempt to enlighten you through my posts by convincing you that there is far more to you as a person to be appreciated and loved than that beautiful body you are trapped in.

Smile for me now :)

Anabolic1's_Girl
05-07-2009, 08:45 PM

I agree with you. As the saying goes....Beauty comes from within!

Suzy Brown
05-07-2009, 10:10 PM
I hate it when my words have that kind of an impact on anyone. I only have good intentions as I have experienced the damages caused by burying pain firsthand. Drop by the NA forum sometime. I honestly only wish to reach out to women in similar situations who have not come to terms with their feelings of resentment. I cannot hug you to comfort you, so I will attempt to enlighten you through my posts by convincing you that there is far more to you as a person to be appreciated and loved than that beautiful body you are trapped in.

Smile for me now :)

You enlighten me every day :). I appreciate you & your influence on my life.

Sistersteel
05-07-2009, 10:48 PM
You enlighten me every day :). I appreciate you & your influence on my life.

And I appreciate your trust and friendship :)

Tatyana
05-08-2009, 01:21 AM
I started this thread as I am planning on doing a research project in social psychology on embodiment and female bodybuilding.

Embodiment is quite a new area in psychology, typically there has been a mind-body split which had eliminated any impact of the body as being purely biological.

I must admit, when I first started bodybuilding properly and then competing, I initially thought I had found a group of like-minded people who had acheived a healthy balance with diet and training (I am quite naive that way, at least initially).

There are extremes in this sport, especially in competing that lend themselves to very unhealthy behaviours.

If you previously have had an eating disorder, then the BBing diet wouldn't be that far off healthy, however if you had a very balanced healthy approach to food, then the BBing diet would add some very unhealthy aspects. I know it has for me.

It is the same as the perspective on your body. While I love being strong and muscular, there are times that I realise calling myself fat as I am 22% bodyfat, which is NORMAL for a woman, isn't a healthy perspective and it is also very arrogant to call yourself fat around others who are struggling with actually being overweight.

Sistersteel
05-08-2009, 02:06 AM
I started this thread as I am planning on doing a research project in social psychology on embodiment and female bodybuilding.

Embodiment is quite a new area in psychology, typically there has been a mind-body split which had eliminated any impact of the body as being purely biological.

I must admit, when I first started bodybuilding properly and then competing, I initially thought I had found a group of like-minded people who had acheived a healthy balance with diet and training (I am quite naive that way, at least initially).

There are extremes in this sport, especially in competing that lend themselves to very unhealthy behaviours.

If you previously have had an eating disorder, then the BBing diet wouldn't be that far off healthy, however if you had a very balanced healthy approach to food, then the BBing diet would add some very unhealthy aspects. I know it has for me.

It is the same as the perspective on your body. While I love being strong and muscular, there are times that I realise calling myself fat as I am 22% bodyfat, which is NORMAL for a woman, isn't a healthy perspective and it is also very arrogant to call yourself fat around others who are struggling with actually being overweight.

Please let us know if we may be of assistance to you in your research.

KBigz81
05-08-2009, 02:59 AM
I was a victim of child sex abuse 3 times growing up. So I didn't have control of my life when I was a child. I was basically forced to grow up. So when I found out about bodybuilding i found it was the one the thing that I do have control over. And its almost sad to say but it is the one thing that makes me happy. Cuz I can control the way I look, and how I feel all through bodybuilding. It was probably the best thing to happen for me, its brought structure to my life.

fitmomma3
05-08-2009, 08:16 AM

Respect,

SSBeautifully said! I think the more you accomplish outside of BB whether it be motherhood, a career, a relationship, or other goals the more you start to really feel this to be true. As much as feeling good on the outside helps with feeling good on the inside it's only a small piece to the puzzle.

fitmomma3
05-08-2009, 08:18 AM
I was a victim of child sex abuse 3 times growing up. So I didn't have control of my life when I was a child. I was basically forced to grow up. So when I found out about bodybuilding i found it was the one the thing that I do have control over. And its almost sad to say but it is the one thing that makes me happy. Cuz I can control the way I look, and how I feel all through bodybuilding. It was probably the best thing to happen for me, its brought structure to my life.Could not agree more!

RDFinders
05-08-2009, 08:22 AM

It is the same as the perspective on your body. While I love being strong and muscular, there are times that I realise calling myself fat as I am 22% bodyfat, which is NORMAL for a woman, isn't a healthy perspective and it is also very arrogant to call yourself fat around others who are struggling with actually being overweight.you are so right with having normal body fat levels and we get the blues b/c of that? how about how many of us suffer from body dysmorphia? this sport is vulnerable to mental issues around food as it is the focus of your training and physical growth. balance is the key, but how many times do we fall off the wagon with that?

loreleisowa
05-11-2009, 10:36 AM
I absolutely took up bodybuilding to gain control. I remember thinking to myself that I had no Idea where my body could go and If I cheated on my diet, I would never know. I would think that I could achieve it, but if I didn't then I would always second guess myself. After my first show, I absolutely did feel different about myself, and I was absolutely treated differently in the outside world. I liked the attention. I liked the confidence. Unfortunately, it is a bit like getting a new car or a big house... It makes you happy for a while and then you are left with the so what feeling and I had to find more real motives than the superficial. Yes, It is a superficial sport, in the the judgement lies solely on appearance, but I discovered that the journey was much more satisfying than the result. I am only speaking for myself, of course, because it is so different for everyone. 4 years later, I am lifting and dieting for other reasons than the attention it gives me. It gives me control. It gives me peace. That in and of itself is beautiful. It is now less about how I look in the mirror then how I feel about myself inside. I am constantly faced with choices and for me, bodybuilding is the right choice. It has been a long process from their to here though.

SallyAnne
05-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Hey, Loreleisowa! Welcome to RX. :)

Excellent first post.

tammyp
05-12-2009, 06:03 AM
bodybuilding is the core of who i am. it has empowered me in ways i never imagined . i was an insecure kid that always kept my head down to blend in. now i love being different from everyone else! i have created friendships with people that i met through competing that have made me a better person for just knowing them. its so much more than hitting the gym and dieting. it feels really good to belong to something and fit in, growing up i was never into team sports, guess i always liked being solo.

bbing has made me the strong independent woman i am today...so much different than i was before!

Allifit
05-12-2009, 05:49 PM
I absolutely took up bodybuilding to gain control. I remember thinking to myself that I had no Idea where my body could go and If I cheated on my diet, I would never know. I would think that I could achieve it, but if I didn't then I would always second guess myself. After my first show, I absolutely did feel different about myself, and I was absolutely treated differently in the outside world. I liked the attention. I liked the confidence. Unfortunately, it is a bit like getting a new car or a big house... It makes you happy for a while and then you are left with the so what feeling and I had to find more real motives than the superficial. Yes, It is a superficial sport, in the the judgement lies solely on appearance, but I discovered that the journey was much more satisfying than the result. I am only speaking for myself, of course, because it is so different for everyone. 4 years later, I am lifting and dieting for other reasons than the attention it gives me. It gives me control. It gives me peace. That in and of itself is beautiful. It is now less about how I look in the mirror then how I feel about myself inside. I am constantly faced with choices and for me, bodybuilding is the right choice. It has been a long process from their to here though.

Great first post!!!! WELCOME! xoxoxo

Allifit
05-12-2009, 05:52 PM
bodybuilding is the core of who i am. it has empowered me in ways i never imagined ..... now i love being different from everyone else!

x2 for me. I feel exactly the same. It's amazing to me how much I wanted to fit in with my clothes, my hair, my style, my body when I was younger. Now I feel incredibly confident and free. I enjoy my body and my appearance more. I wear what I want and I am who I am without worry of what others will think of me. In my mind, that is the ultimate freedom.

"And yet I tell you this, so long as you are concerned with what others think of you, you are owned by them. Only when you require no approval from outside yourself, can you own yourself."- Donald Walsch

musclegoddess65
05-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Alli that is a great quote... one worth doing copy/paste/print and keep, thank you for sharing it...