PDA

View Full Version : oh god, newbie with a workout plan question

slumcookie
05-05-2009, 11:09 PM
Hi guys! I am new to this fourm and somewhat new to lifting weights and eating clean. I guess general stats... 23 yrs old, 5'9, 143lbs

My question is what do I need to put together a well-balanced, productive workout program? Should I post some pictures so you guys can tell me what to work on?

What I've been doing is alternating upper and lower body workout supplemented with cardio 6 times a week, (forgive me if my terminology is a bit off)

Mon/Weds/Friday - upper body
pushups
tricep dips
overhead shoulder press
shoulder raises
incline flyes
flat flyes
curls
tricep kickbacks
lat pulldowns

tues/thurs/sat
leg presses
lunges
side leg lunges
squats
roman deadlifts
leg curls

cardio could be running at the dog park w/ my dog, running on the treadmill for 1/2 hour at 8 mph, mountain biking (if I do that, I skip lowerbody workout day)

I must sound like a newbie
but I'd like to know if what I'm doing is effective or somehow detrimental....

GirlyMuscle
05-05-2009, 11:17 PM
I assume you're ....male? You need to post your goals as well. If you're looking to build I'd say cut way back on the cardio. You should post up your food plan as well.

Sledge
05-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Hi Glad to see you here. The only dumb questions are the ones you never ask, because then you never know the answer.:)

You don't need to post pics unless your comfortable doing so.

Are you a male or female

What are you long and short term goals. To realy get an effective training progrem together you have to know what you want to achive.

6 days a week training seems like a lot to me. Remember your body grows and repairs it's self while you rest.
But realy that depends what you want to get out of the training.

At 5'9 and 143lb I imagine your pretty lean.

slumcookie
05-05-2009, 11:24 PM
HAHAHA! no! I'm a girl. :-) I guess I should have mentioned that.

My goals are to basically get my body into stellar shape and at some point maybe at the end of this year, try to compete in a fitness show.

I'm still learning everything there is about comps., what's required, what judges look for, etc...

Sledge - I'm fairly lean, I have alot of fat where you would call lovehandles are and thats pretty much the only place I seem to store it. So weird huh?

GirlyMuscle
05-05-2009, 11:25 PM
Try posting in the women's section. More women will see it there. We have tons of girls who would love to help you out.

slumcookie
05-05-2009, 11:30 PM
on the reccomendation of GirlyMuscle, I am reposting this in the women's section...

Hi guys! I am new to this fourm and somewhat new to lifting weights and eating clean. I guess general stats... 23 yrs old, 5'9, 143lbs

My question is what do I need to put together a well-balanced, productive workout program? Should I post some pictures so you guys can tell me what to work on?

What I've been doing is alternating upper and lower body workout supplemented with cardio 6 times a week, (forgive me if my terminology is a bit off)

Mon/Weds/Friday - upper body
pushups
tricep dips
overhead shoulder press
shoulder raises
incline flyes
flat flyes
curls
tricep kickbacks
lat pulldowns

tues/thurs/sat
leg presses
lunges
side leg lunges
squats
roman deadlifts
leg curls

cardio could be running at the dog park w/ my dog, running on the treadmill for 1/2 hour at 8 mph, mountain biking (if I do that, I skip lowerbody workout day)

I must sound like a newbie
but I'd like to know if what I'm doing is effective or somehow detrimental....

my goal is eventually get my body to a point where I could consider competing in my first fitness show in a year if that is even attainable.

thanks girls

tammyp
05-06-2009, 05:25 AM
welcome! i would do a split like this....the program you mentioned isnt really effective for making the gains your looking for. check out some of the journals here fo rsome workouts.

mon chest tris

tues shoulders

th back bis

fri legs

Sistersteel
05-06-2009, 11:05 PM
Try posting in the women's section. More women will see it there. We have tons of girls who would love to help you out.

I am going to move this thread to the women's forum so that it gets more attention.

Slumcookie please post up some pictures honey. We would love to assist you in designing a suitable program to help you reach your goals. We just need you to stick around and stay motivated! Lots of great guys and gals on here to help you get established.

Welcome to RX.

SS

Angela123
05-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Welcome to RX. Are you more concerned about building muscle and adding mass or getting lean and getting rid of your love handles? What is your diet like?

i think you need to devote more time to specific body parts.
Mine is

Mon is legs
Tues is shoulders
Wed is back
Thurs is bis and tris
Fri chest

"Rodz"
05-15-2009, 04:44 AM
welcome! i would do a split like this....the program you mentioned isnt really effective for making the gains your looking for. check out some of the journals here fo rsome workouts.

mon chest tris

tues shoulders

th back bis

fri legs

Hi Tammy
How are your shoulder workouts having them the day after chest and tris?

tammyp
05-15-2009, 06:00 AM
Hi Tammy
How are your shoulder workouts having them the day after chest and tris?

awesome. i dont train chest heavy anymore. i just maintain at this point.

Chani
05-15-2009, 10:10 AM
I use a five day split as well, similar to Ondrea. But I use my leg day to break up the week a little.

Mon Chest
Tues Back
Wed Legs
Thurs Shoulders
Fri Arms

Lee Penman
05-15-2009, 10:19 AM
Monday - Shoulders/forearms
Tuesday - Legs
Wednesday - Back/Biceps
Thursday - Off
Friday - Chest/tris
Weekends off...used to train abs on off days but torn muscle has meant zero ab work for the last 3 months!

slumcookie
06-07-2009, 09:08 PM
I am going to move this thread to the women's forum so that it gets more attention.

Slumcookie please post up some pictures honey. We would love to assist you in designing a suitable program to help you reach your goals. We just need you to stick around and stay motivated! Lots of great guys and gals on here to help you get established.

Welcome to RX.

SS

Thank you sweetie :-) Sorry, I've been lurking and haven't checked this post. Here are two pictures of me, I took them probably a week ago..18364

If they're not good enough, I can take better ones...

My goal is to lean out a little bit and build mass and muscle. I understand it's not going to happen overnight but I'm willing to start that lifelong journey :-)

Someone mentioned wanting to know my diet.. typically this is what I eat daily.

breakfast:4 eggwhites/1 whole egg omelet with onions/green peppers and fatfree cheese and 1/2 cup of steel cut oatmeal.

lunch: 1 turkey wrap (4 slices of deli turkey, 1 tortilla, 3 pickles, low-fat mayo and ff cheese) with a cup of veggies (it can be mixed veggies, asparagus, broccoli etc...)

Snack: banana, 1/2 cup sugar free apple sauce or plain sugar-free yogurt.

protien shake before workout

dinner: 4-6oz meat (chicken, lean pork, lean beef etc...) with side of veggies.

that's pretty much what I eat almost every day of the week. Sometimes me and my boyfriend will go out to eat, and i eat healthy (i pick lean grilled chicken with steamed veggies or salad w/ dressing on side etc...)

Does all that help give you some insight? I truely am lost. I go to workout most nights and meanger around wondering if what I am doing is effective in regards to my goals. I'm highly respectful of you women in here, you girls have worked so hard to get where you are and it's amazing!

tammyp
06-08-2009, 06:13 AM
diet doesnt look too bad, what are the macros? seems kinda low cals and not enough fat.

slumcookie
06-08-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm not sure, I will measure everything tomorrow and enter it into fitday to get accurate macros.

I get my fats by cooking the meat in olive oil and I usually eat a tablespoon of natural peanutbutter.. as well as two fish capsules a day. I don't know if that's enough or not.

stephaniewicked
06-08-2009, 11:59 PM
Are you the same slumcookie from o2, by chance? :)

slumcookie
06-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Are you the same slumcookie from o2, by chance? :)

Yes I am! :-D
That forum is dead lately and I can't seem to find advice that'll push me to the next level like I find here.

stephaniewicked
06-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Yes I am! :-D
That forum is dead lately and I can't seem to find advice that'll push me to the next level like I find here.

Yeah, I stopped hanging out over there after Ms. Tammy P referred me to this place... I feel bad. I miss some of the girls, but the information here is so much more valuable! Welcome, sweets! :)