PDA

View Full Version : who is going to masters nationals?

gman
05-06-2009, 09:44 AM
Just wanted to start a thread to see if anyone else is going, maybe we can get together some during the days we are there!

I am coming in Friday mid-day, and leaving Sunday mid-day!

GirlyMuscle
05-06-2009, 09:49 AM
I really want to since I know a chickie who is competing but I have to see how finances are by then.

gman
05-06-2009, 10:10 AM
I hope you can!

I am going to see my long-distance friend Ed Cook, compete. Never met him, but have talked on the cell phone with him many times!

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w294/namtrag/2008_masters_nats_2.jpg

Carolyn Bryant
05-06-2009, 10:21 AM
I plan to be there.

2hot4u
05-06-2009, 12:52 PM
I will be there fbb!!!

HeavyDutyGuy
05-06-2009, 03:50 PM
I hope you can!

I am going to see my long-distance friend Ed Cook, compete. Never met him, but have talked on the cell phone with him many times!

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w294/namtrag/2008_masters_nats_2.jpg

How old is Ed? He looks pretty ripped there.

SpeedoGuido
05-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Where / when is the contest?

Dom
05-06-2009, 05:26 PM
I think I will be able to go. Looks like its going to be a good show. Mostly cause I am now a master. Should be a good learning experience .
Rocco if you are up for it speak up!!!

gman
05-06-2009, 06:03 PM
How old is Ed? He looks pretty ripped there.

I believe he is 54!

I think Esplendido might remember him, but Ed was a weight class down from Rick I believe last year.

gman
05-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Where / when is the contest?

July 17th or so. It's in Pittsburgh.

joedemarco
05-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Gary Udit runs a first class event in Pittsburgh!

esplendido
05-07-2009, 01:41 PM
Gary Udit runs a first class event in Pittsburgh!

Gary runs a decent show. But it could be much better. The stage is too small to hold a class bigger than 6 during prejudging. No warm-up weights at all. Conference room seating (all level, front to back). Vendors scattered around the perimeter of the seating, making for distraction during prejudging and finals. And a last minute combining of lightweight and middleweight women which was totally unnecessary and ultimately unfair to the lightweight women. (There were 5 middleweight women....plenty for a class).

What is good about the show: hotel/contest venue in the same facility. The hotel restaurant is extremely bber friendly. The speed in which he moves 400+ competitors through the finals.

Now, this is the LARGEST NPC show in the country, with 400+ athletes last year. It is held in a bbing sophisticated city. It offers several pro cards and brings the top 35+ aged competitors, and collegiate competitors in the nation to the stage.

Doing the numbers, $80 per entry plus $100 for cross-over entry, you have $40,000 just in entry fees. Add to that the vendors and sponsors, the gross revenue could be $60-$70,000. The trophies were $15 statues, BTW. Of course, Gary has to pay the NPC for the rights to the show, etc.

With that kind of revenue, though, I would expect a theater venue, a well equiped pump room, and trophies representitive of the caliber of the show.

It was both a rich and disappointing experience simultaneously.

We did the Flex Wheeler the week before in Minneapolis. It was held in a 2000 seat theater with a stage that could hold 20 competitors. It had theater seating. The backstage pump room had sufficient weights to get pumped. The vendors had an area in the foyer outside the theater entry. Only the trophies were cheap (medals on a ribbon) but the rest was first class.....and we had roughly 30 competitors total. It was also a national qualifying show.

I will do the MN again in 2010. But it could be improved greatly.

Rocco1943
05-09-2009, 02:54 PM
I will have to pass on it this year, but plan to compete in next years.
Who else?????

Dom
05-09-2009, 04:19 PM
I am in, As I get better this year I will post some picks. My plan is to get down in weight and come back up. I have a goal this time around and friends to see this thru !! Should be fun!!!
Dont know who I am going to use for a coach this time . One thing I know for sure is that I want to be game ready first. I spent way too much time with a coach that didnt help and could not 9 or did not want to ) see what I needed.
Any thoughts???

Rocco1943
05-09-2009, 06:07 PM
You don't need to ask me. Go with the one that will get you there, that's what I did.

indianamonster1986
05-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Could not agree more. And when I ordered that package for front row seats. They never had them when my family and friends arrived and luckily I had the receipt because they were going to refuse, and my mom was about to have a stroke. They had to call Gary Udit over before they finally got their tickets. And teens were supposed to go onstage at 11 so i started my card up and we did not get calle out till 330.

Gary runs a decent show. But it could be much better. The stage is too small to hold a class bigger than 6 during prejudging. No warm-up weights at all. Conference room seating (all level, front to back). Vendors scattered around the perimeter of the seating, making for distraction during prejudging and finals. And a last minute combining of lightweight and middleweight women which was totally unnecessary and ultimately unfair to the lightweight women. (There were 5 middleweight women....plenty for a class).

What is good about the show: hotel/contest venue in the same facility. The hotel restaurant is extremely bber friendly. The speed in which he moves 400+ competitors through the finals.

Now, this is the LARGEST NPC show in the country, with 400+ athletes last year. It is held in a bbing sophisticated city. It offers several pro cards and brings the top 35+ aged competitors, and collegiate competitors in the nation to the stage.

Doing the numbers, $80 per entry plus $100 for cross-over entry, you have $40,000 just in entry fees. Add to that the vendors and sponsors, the gross revenue could be $60-$70,000. The trophies were $15 statues, BTW. Of course, Gary has to pay the NPC for the rights to the show, etc.

With that kind of revenue, though, I would expect a theater venue, a well equiped pump room, and trophies representitive of the caliber of the show.

It was both a rich and disappointing experience simultaneously.

We did the Flex Wheeler the week before in Minneapolis. It was held in a 2000 seat theater with a stage that could hold 20 competitors. It had theater seating. The backstage pump room had sufficient weights to get pumped. The vendors had an area in the foyer outside the theater entry. Only the trophies were cheap (medals on a ribbon) but the rest was first class.....and we had roughly 30 competitors total. It was also a national qualifying show.

I will do the MN again in 2010. But it could be improved greatly.

indianamonster1986
05-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Might do collegiate nats this year or next.

HeavyDutyGuy
05-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Indiana do it this year if you're still in the shape you were in in your last pics. You'd still have 9 weeks to prep and fine tune. You'd probably do great!

GerryT
05-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Have quite a few friends competing this year (mostly masters) and looking forward to it. Should be fun.

Coming in late Wednesday evening, leaving early Monday morning.

GerryT
05-13-2009, 01:08 PM
P.S., Just got the following from Gary Udit, and this is 2 months before the show:

ATTENTION!!!

The Sheraton - Station Square, host hotel of the

2009 NPC GNC TEEN, COLLEGIATE AND MASTERS NATIONALS

is now sold out.

Rooms are now available at the following 2 hotels:

Holiday Inn Express, 412-488-1130

Westin, 412-560-6365

Please mention NPC Bodybuilding when you make your reservation.

Gary Udit

HeavyDutyGuy
05-14-2009, 12:44 AM
9 weeks to go and already booked. A lesson, as soon as you know you're doing a show, make your reservations.

STACEYK
05-17-2009, 04:56 PM
I'll be there competing-bodybuilding : )

Getnbig
06-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Ill be there competing. Looking forward to it! Just about 5 weeks to go.

HeavyDutyGuy
06-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Ill be there competing. Looking forward to it! Just about 5 weeks to go.

Lol 6 weeks, sir! I can't blame your for getting anxious. If you look as good as you do in your icon, you should do great! When was that taken? What division(s) are you doing?

Getnbig
06-07-2009, 09:39 PM
40 days from to day but whose counting? My avator was taken at the 2007 Nationals where I placed 7th as a welterweight. I will be competing at Masters Nats as a welter as well and intend to come in even better condition and fuller. Hope to see you all there!

GerryT
06-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Remember that show. That was the year my pal Carlo won the class. Very deep class, but thought you looked amazing and should have been at least a place higher.

Look forward to seeing you on stage again, and hope to be able to say hello at some point. Good luck!

HeavyDutyGuy
06-08-2009, 03:36 PM
About 5 1/2 weeks to go! We're flying in Weds, so its only 5 weeks til we pack (its the wife's vacation, for me its different, lol!). Already in better shape than last year and much bigger. Just gotta burn 5 more weeks on the tread, bike and in the gym. Been on keto so long, I've almost forgot how to eat diferently! Not a bad thing I guess. Despite a massive cheat meal Sat night, was down to 243 lbs before my morning fasted hour of cardio. Legs and another 1/2 hour of (staggering) cardio later! Can't wait to meet some of you, I think that will be cool.

Getnbig
06-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Thanks Gerry. I was decently dialed in for that show and hope to be even more so for Masters Nats. Please do try to say hello if you are in attendance. Im taking the red eye from SF on Tuesday night. Thanks again for your kind words.

GerryT
06-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Can't say what I don't mean, Getnbig. I tried to send a PM response to yours but not sure if it went through. Please let me know either way when you see this.

And I'm taking Amtrak from NYC and will be there Wednesday evening.

Thanks and look forward to seeing you there.

wildcat22
06-09-2009, 08:50 PM
I will be competing in bodybuilding cant wait!!

little d
06-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Hi everyone! Just wanted to say I will be competing at the Masters Nationals too! Also I was looking at the previous postings on this thread and I couldnt believe... to my surprise Eds Pic... I met Ed this weekend in Oregon! I flew out there to meet with my coach and happened to chat with him and he is doing the Masters. Then i see his pic on this thread. What a coincidence !
Small world! As I am from the Chicago land area! FBB

Nattynomore
06-10-2009, 09:57 AM
As a Pittsburgh native and soon to be competitor (over 40), I wouldn't miss it!!

gman
06-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Do I need to buy tickets now via mail, or can I get them at the show?

Also, the charge to buy separate tickets for prejudging and finals would be $100 for general admission. Is it better to buy the package for $125 that includes seating in the front 10 rows, and a t-shirt, or should I just buy a la carte?

GerryT
06-15-2009, 07:25 PM
I went for the package. But it depends on what your schedule is and what you want to see.

Would probbaly be better to buy separately if you are not going to the entire show (Fri nite and Sat morning prejudges and Sat nite show).

Getnbig
06-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Four weeks out and feeling good. Show cant come quick enuf at this point.

sassy69
06-18-2009, 02:07 PM
I decided to not do the Masters because that & the USAs back to back w/ flying is just too much (and OMG do I retain water from air travel...), but I'm so excited for all the competitors. I've got some very good friends competing as well and I hope RX will be doing blow-by-blow so we can live vicariously!

And I'd REALLY like to see my friend Rita Kaya get her pro card.....

gman
06-24-2009, 10:07 AM
We who are attending as spectators ought to figure out a plan to meet each other just to put faces with names, etc.

I also want to try to train at least one day while up there if anyone is interested.

HeavyDutyGuy
06-25-2009, 01:51 AM
We will be going to the Hard Rock after the finals. Unless anyone has other plans, lets say howdy.

gman
06-25-2009, 02:36 PM
I will be hanging with my friend who is competing in the Heavies, Ed Cook. Not sure where we are going to eat Saturday, I will suggest Hard Rock!

I am sharing a room with a bantamweight competitor whom I met another forum, this will let me save some money. If he asks me to rub Dream Tan on his back, I will know it was a mistake! lol

I am interested in seeing a bodybuilder my height who is only 140lbs soaking wet. I weighed that when I was 10 years old.

If anyone wants to hit the weights on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning, PM me. I hear that the hotel weight room is ok.

gman
06-25-2009, 03:04 PM
BTW Rick, I have taken a lot of your advice to heart. You told me to lift heavier, especially on shoulder day, and I do believe it is working!

andreag
06-29-2009, 11:53 AM
timothy & i will be there supporting our friend sylvia cowan competing in the LHW bodybuilding class. i love going to this show....

GerryT
06-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Looking forward to rooting for my friends on stage and seeing them off stage. Should be fun.

There is a pool and fitness room in the hotel and it is good. there is also a breakfast buffet which caters to dieting competitors and is very tasty.

gman
06-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Anyone want to hit the weights with me? It would be fun to meet and get tips. I would like to be seen in 3-D by someone who can tell me how I really look in real life! lol

gman
07-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Reliable sources tell me the hotel gym sucks. there is a Gold's about a mile from the hotel, but they were charging $20-25 for one workout (in contrast, our Gold's charges $10).

any other choices in gyms near the Marriott? I will have my own car.

gman
07-01-2009, 01:24 PM
this looks promising, called Exercise Warehouse

http://www.builtinbloomfield.com/gallery.html (about 4 miles)

gman
07-01-2009, 01:44 PM
a national level NPC competitor told me to be prepared to sweat my ass off like never before, because the place has no a/c. He trained there last summer on a 88 degree day and said he lost lots of weight.

arielkhadr
07-01-2009, 01:49 PM
I'll actually be there competing in Teen Fitness & Figure ;)

gman
07-01-2009, 01:51 PM
awesome, we will be looking for you!

GerryT
07-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Ariel is amazing. She won the Atlantic States fitness and should be a big threat to win in Pittsburgh.

arielkhadr
07-01-2009, 02:03 PM
aw thank you so muchh!!! I hope that's true......

Getnbig
07-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Here are a couple of pics 17 days out.

esplendido
07-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Here are a couple of pics 17 days out.

Looking large and in charge!!! Great conditioning. You're a week ahead. Eat some carbs :)

GerryT
07-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Excellent conditioning, top to bottom! Proud of you! Agree with Es, you are ahead of schedule. Will be in touch soon, and look forward to seeing you.

thfireguy
07-04-2009, 12:26 AM
http://forums.rxmuscle.com/my picI will be there, first time at the Master National so it should be interresting and hopefully fun. Never competed on the National scene before.

sweiss
07-08-2009, 02:46 PM
I will be there as a lt heavy, last year competed as a midle and took second. Great show, I appreciate th fact that it is one of only two shows/oportunities where a 50 plus has a shot at a Pro Card.

gman
07-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Look out guys, my friend Ed Cook is looking good!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1906131&d=1246325367

gman
07-08-2009, 04:13 PM
ed from the back, about 2 weeks ago.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w294/namtrag/0629091443.jpg

mods: if you want to delete the big pic in post 56, I can repost it smaller!

hifrommike65
07-11-2009, 07:06 AM
Please be careful on arriving in time for the final weigh-in on Friday (since you said "mid-day"). Sometimes traffic is very bad in downtown Pittsburgh & it can cause delays. The Station Square river front is a big tourist area & the roads aren't wide, & can be tricky the first time you attend.

CHECK-IN/WEIGH-IN: SHERATON HOTEL - STATION SQUARE
Thursday, July 16, 2009 - Optional Early Weigh-In/Check-In:
All competitors -- 5:00 - 7:00 pm

Friday, July 17, 2009 - Late Weigh-In/Check-In:
All competitors -- 9:00 am - 11:00 am

gman
07-16-2009, 04:33 PM
hope to see everyone there! Look for me in my green and white William and Mary hat. It is a white hat with green WM letters on it. I also have a goatee now. Hopefully we can get together some. I am going with at least one other guy to lift on Saturday morning at a local hardcore gym called Southside Ironworks. We will be doing legs if anyone is interested. PM me.

angeliquecosta
07-17-2009, 09:21 PM
I'm voting for my World Gym Buddy Steve to take home a Masters Title!!! He is looking even bigger & tighter than the Atlantic States!!!

I wish I could be there to support all the ladies too!

GO STEVE! :goodluck:

MsGuns
07-17-2009, 09:33 PM
Looking good GetnBig