PDA

View Full Version : Instinctive training

Jason Newman
05-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Was wonderring how many guys use truely instinctive training, and how many use planned splits.... and anything that may make one better than the other, personally i love the idea of instinctive training but i think it leads to overtraining, as most people like myself love training certain parts more than others, takes a ton of discipline to do sucj

Jason Newman
05-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Bump cause there isnt a lot of activity in this room

bigtimektz
05-06-2009, 10:28 PM
All my workouts are planned ahead. DC.

Bennny
05-06-2009, 11:32 PM
I plan my workouts, but I'll use instinctive training to add sets or work an additional body part if I feel good. Likewise, if my energy level is crap & my workout is shitty, I may cut it short and do more abs or cardio instead. Just follow my instincts.

ChunkyThunder
05-07-2009, 12:19 AM
The only thing I plan is the body parts. The exercises, sets, etc I decide when I get there.

Frosty
05-07-2009, 01:18 AM
I say splits, but you have to use instinct, i.e. body intelligence, within a split. You have to know when to back off, when to go harder, when to change, etc.

I think just doing whatever you feel like lift-wise in the gym isn't smart because it's difficult to gauge what works, what works what, how much you've increased in a lift, etc.

AussieRugbyPlayer
05-07-2009, 02:23 AM
Def instinctive.

I know the body parts I want to do on each day, but I will use a lot of different exercise to work the body part from week to week.

I also swap the body part days around frequently as well, dependant on how I feel or how much energy I have. There is no use for me to do a major muscle group like back or legs, when I have no energy or lacking in time, I can't give it the attention it deserves.

I have worked out what works for me and what doesn't. Plus I have found I adapt very quick to different exercises. I use a lot of settages like 1x12, 1x5, 1x8 1x4 and 1x12. I find I grow very well with this type of training and I get an even balance. I just make sure I do each rep slowly down, then hold for a few secs, then slowly back up.

the_gift
05-25-2009, 03:40 AM
I am instinctive in a sense.. I have a plan routine now pretty much

Chest/bi
back/tri
shoulders/abs
legs

But I go in the gym with an IDEA of what im going to do.. but theres nothing on paper.. ie (do this exercise, this many sets, this many reps at this weight)

I go in there and do what I got to do, and get out..

Cardio wise.. I bump it up when I feel I'm getting fatter, and when I'm gettting flatter, I up carbs and don't do as much cardio..

Same for eating.. lower carbs/fats when I need to lose weight around midsection.. up carbs and cycle them when i need to add mass or if my metabolism is slowing down..

I don't follow exact diet or training protocol because I am not a pro bodybuilder.. I just live a healthy lifestyle and am having fun with it!

SpeedoGuido
05-25-2009, 07:58 PM
Was wonderring how many guys use truely instinctive training, and how many use planned splits.... and anything that may make one better than the other, personally i love the idea of instinctive training but i think it leads to overtraining, as most people like myself love training certain parts more than others, takes a ton of discipline to do sucj

I don't think your definition of instinctive training is the traditional meaning. To use instinctive training properly you have to know your body well enough to avoid overtraining.

Copied from http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/jay4.htm
Instinctive Training (A) - This involves experimenting with your workouts and paying attention to how your body reacts to certain types of training. The fundamentals of bodybuilding training are the same for everyone, but we are all unique. The further along you get in your training, the more you have to fine tune your workouts to suit your needs. It takes time to develop this "feel" and have this type of knowledge. Whatever you are used to is going to feel best for you, but you have to figure out what really produces the best results for you and make adjustments accordingly.

Formula94
05-26-2009, 01:42 PM
I know what group I want to work before I get to the gym, but sets/reps exercises, and rest time are all based on how I feel after I warm up.

Youngguns
05-26-2009, 02:21 PM
100% planned ahead.

DAVIDHARDY
06-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Instinctive; it all depends on the time I have, how good I'm feeling, and what I've done the day or two before. I still get in every body part once a week, and some of them twice. Again, it depends on what I've done the days before and what I have left to train in the week. So, if I'm feelin good, I'll go ahead and throw in some hams with back after deads or arms after shoulders or chest etc. I love it; I never feel like "Oh shit I have to do this or that because I wrote it down or am dedicated to that style of training" I do prefer the FST-7 and DC training, but sometimes I just go heavy for a few sets or moderate for a shitload, so I'm pretty sporadic in the gym.

Shadow
06-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Everything is planned ahead of time. Only "instinctual" thing is whether or not a new movement (or even an old one) will not work or will possibly lead to injury.

Bigluva
06-16-2009, 03:06 PM
I know what group I want to work before I get to the gym, but sets/reps exercises, and rest time are all based on how I feel after I warm up.

That's what i do. Sets, reps, and weights change all the time. I don't even count reps most of the time.