PDA

View Full Version : When Losing Weight Is It more Important to watch calories of quality of foods?

SadFatty
05-08-2009, 12:51 AM
So I'm on a mission to lose some weight. I have an odd question....

Let's say I am on a 1500 cal diet per day. If it's junk or healthy foods what would be the difference when losing weight?

The reason I ask is because I am eating fully clean EXCEPT for low fat cool whip and frozen yogurt. These help my sugar cravings. Will this hinder me eventually?

The first 5 pounds I lost I didn't eat these things but now I have been having horrible sugar cravings.

How much will these affect me? I'm not looking for cuts yet....just a normal weigh loss.

sassy69
05-08-2009, 02:16 AM
Consider nutritional value. 1500 cals of shit food = nutritionally starved.

Personally I find if you want to get results its important to stick tothe program and save you cheats for 1/week scheduled cheat day. The stuff you mention is really nothing bad, except if in volume.

A story I have about cool whip... when I did my first show, I thought I'd found the ultimate cheat food in low fat, low carb cool whip. For the first 4 weeks of my prep I consistently lost 1-2% bf / week, but when I started w/ this cool whip crap I actually stalled out my fat loss completely and it took me anther week to get my diet rolling again.

I believe it takes time to clear out remnant junk food from your body, and you'll notice this over time, that when you do have a scheduled cheat, you actually feel like shit trying to digest this stuff. Until then, it can be frustrating, so I believe do what you gotta do to get there. But my personal experience says it won't work if you don't stick to it 100%.

KBigz81
05-08-2009, 02:46 AM
I found the same thing w/walden farms stuff. Especially the chocolate dip and maple syrup. It helps w/the cravings but stalled my fatloss even though it was "calorie free". Some people find that drinking diet soda helps their cravings. Give that a try...

sassy69
05-08-2009, 03:27 AM
Are there some better options? E.g. for a chocolate taste, chocolate protein mix + natural peanut butter, mix in a blender w/ ice to make a shake, or I mix w/ a small amount of cold coffee and some splenda, enough to make a "pudding". This is one of my fat + protein meals. The PB gives it the fat and definitely is a big source of calories so pay attention to the amount of PB. But its good stuff. You could even mix in that cool whip if you want to make it a little more exciting.

Other sugarfree options are jello and ice pops. And I do a lot of Diet Coke.

fitmomma3
05-08-2009, 08:11 AM
IMO (and this is for someone just looking to lose weight - not competition style) it depends on how far you have to go, many people take out all processed food, all sugars, all fruit, everything right from the get go. But in my experiences if you have a lot of weight to lose (like more than 30) a progression of changes can be more successful and cause less chance of a plateau or extremes needed. The closer you get to your goal the cleaner the diet must become. I would however not suggest a daily treat like cool whip or frozen yogurt, just a more balanced less depriving diet to start so you are not craving so terribly (ease yourself in)... and the sugar free jello and sugar free popsicles are great for cravings as Sassy said. Even earlier in the day or post workout freezing strawberries or raspberries is a nice treat.

stephaniewicked
05-08-2009, 10:09 AM
SF jello has become my savior!! I like to buy the pre-made ones and throw them in the freezer so I can eat them like an italian ice! I have at least 1 every night and I don't feel deprived at all!

Sometimes (when we aren't too lazy to buy the SF boxed kind), my bf and I replace the 1 cup cold water with 1 cup diet ginger ale and slice up a banana or put pieces of fruit in it and then freeze it up. Especially with summer coming, frozen treats are what's up!! :beerbang:

Wendy
05-08-2009, 11:26 AM
SF jello has become my savior!! I like to buy the pre-made ones and throw them in the freezer so I can eat them like an italian ice! I have at least 1 every night and I don't feel deprived at all!

Sometimes (when we aren't too lazy to buy the SF boxed kind), my bf and I replace the 1 cup cold water with 1 cup diet ginger ale and slice up a banana or put pieces of fruit in it and then freeze it up. Especially with summer coming, frozen treats are what's up!! :beerbang:
Now that sounds awesome! I'm off to the grocery store:D

debbiebramwell
05-08-2009, 11:35 AM

I do the same thing with the jello...in the freezer....either take it out and let it sit for 15 minutes or 35 second in the microwave....it is more enjoyable to eat something that isnt gone in 2 seconds..:D also I love the fruit punch fiberlyze at night mixed with flavered sparkling water or some soda......mmmm it tastes so good..and the fiber it good for you and leaves you feeling satisfied

stephaniewicked
05-08-2009, 11:44 AM
I do the same thing with the jello...in the freezer....either take it out and let it sit for 15 minutes or 35 second in the microwave....it is more enjoyable to eat something that isnt gone in 2 seconds..:D also I love the fruit punch fiberlyze at night mixed with flavered sparkling water or some soda......mmmm it tastes so good..and the fiber it good for you and leaves you feeling satisfied

I usually put run it under hot water for a quick second, just to quickly melt the frozen water that collects on top of the jello, then pop it in the microwave for 11 seconds and it's perfect! :)

Fiberlyze is on my list of supplements to try... I need to place an order soon. I don't even think I have enough protein to get through the weekend now! :eek:

SadFatty
05-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the great replies! It's surprising how such little things can cause weight stall.

KBigz81
05-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Here was my savior for dave's diet
1 egg
1 1/2 scoop of cherry vanilla isolyze
1 scoop lemonade fiberlyze
little bit of water
mixed until like pudding
then put in the in the microwave for 1:40
like a lemon/cherry cake..it does dry out a bit as it cools
another good recipe
1 1/2 scoops of choc isolyze
1 scoop vpx fiber teq
1 egg white
1 tbls pb chunky is best
and make the same as other cake
tastes like a reeses pb cup!!

Like I said both are perfect for daves diet

tammyp
05-09-2009, 05:51 AM
i say keep all in that you can til u have to take it out.

in place of your yogurt and CW, try ...

plain greek yogurt w/ cinn splenda

1 scoop pp. a bit of water, lots of ice 1 tbs peanut butter , blend in magic bullet blender

choc brownie
1 sc choc pp
4 egg whites
pack of splenda
1 tps baking powder

whip and cook like a pancake

sassy69
05-09-2009, 12:38 PM
I think the only difference betweeen a competition diet and a diet is the dial in phase - so what may look "extreme" IMO is simply what works. You can stop at any point and call yourself successful. People say they don't want the extremes, but they are still looking for the results - so its a reality check and our experience w/ what stalls a competition diet will tell you what will get you those results and what won't. Consistency is the most important thing. Assuming you've got a sufficient diet in terms of enough cals and a good balance of macros (depending on if you're going keto, non-keto, carb cycling, etc), just sticking to it and giving your body that "known" program, it will respond. Save your cheats for 1/ week. Its good to do anyway, but one scheduled cheat day (or 1 meal is better) is predictable vs throwing in even "lite" junk foods randomly will get you much better results.

SadFatty
05-09-2009, 04:57 PM
i say keep all in that you can til u have to take it out.

in place of your yogurt and CW, try ...

plain greek yogurt w/ cinn splenda

1 scoop pp. a bit of water, lots of ice 1 tbs peanut butter , blend in magic bullet blender

choc brownie
1 sc choc pp
4 egg whites
pack of splenda
1 tps baking powder

whip and cook like a pancake
I find you are right with this. I am still losing weight but when I stop I will cut out the frozen yogurt and cool whip.

Nitro Fueled Barbie/Mel Marx
05-09-2009, 10:29 PM
I use stevia and xylitol all over everything!!!!! However, I do believe that it causes more cravings for sugar. My fiance taught me that the min you give in to your insulin spike, you continually have more and more and more insulin cravings.
Artificial sweeteners also tend to bloat me a little so I am having a real hard time cutting off of them. I need the stevia in my water or crystal light in my water so that I am able to drink 2 gal a day. Bland water doesn't appeal to me.