PDA

View Full Version : Inspired by age

esplendido
05-08-2009, 03:51 PM
I had the pleasure of finally meeting a fellow masters bber a few days ago. I've been coaching him via phone and email and he just happened to be passing through Kansas on a trip from Colorado to Tampa. His name is Rodney, a good friend of Dom's.

Rodney will be 67 in a month or two. He's trained on and off most of his life. He has some very good mature muscle and looks not a day over 50. We trained together before he moved on and he kept up with ease. I was inspired by his enthusiasm and work ethic and it made me re-evaluate my own goals. As I mentioned to Dom in a PM following Rodney's visit, I saw maybe 4-5 years for myself left in bbing. After watching Rodney train and listening to his young and enthusiastic conversation about training and bbing, I'm adding 15 years to my previous thinking.

Go Rodney! See you at the Masters Nationals in 2010 (and Dom, too!) :beerbang:

GerryT
05-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Really inspirational!

I am looking forward to seeing the first ever over 80 division at Masters Nats. All of these guys rock, and are super at any age.

sassy69
05-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Really inspirational!

I am looking forward to seeing the first ever over 80 division at Masters Nats. All of these guys rock, and are super at any age.

x10! Both my parents are approaching 70, neither looks a day over 50 (seriously NO gray hair on either of them). They both do pilates / step aerobics at least 3x/week and my dad plays golf like nothing changed since he was 10 or since he was 20 or 30 or 40 or 50 or 60.

I did see a men's > 70 and > 80 and women's > 60 and > 70 categories at the 2000 NPC Southern States show. It was quite amazing. Not that they looked on par w/ your big guys in their 50s & 60s, but they were up there doing it! The only thing that did mark the limitations of age were when the guys > 80 were out there and none of them could really hear the pose calls. So like, one guy would guess at the pose that was being called, and the other 3 would follow him. Finally they got one of the expeditors to stand on the side of the stage and show them what was being called. It was kinda cute. Unfortunately it also pushed the show to an ending time of after 1am.

Rocco1943
05-09-2009, 05:49 AM
I had the pleasure of finally meeting a fellow masters bber a few days ago. I've been coaching him via phone and email and he just happened to be passing through Kansas on a trip from Colorado to Tampa. His name is Rodney, a good friend of Dom's.

Rodney will be 67 in a month or two. He's trained on and off most of his life. He has some very good mature muscle and looks not a day over 50. We trained together before he moved on and he kept up with ease. I was inspired by his enthusiasm and work ethic and it made me re-evaluate my own goals. As I mentioned to Dom in a PM following Rodney's visit, I saw maybe 4-5 years for myself left in bbing. After watching Rodney train and listening to his young and enthusiastic conversation about training and bbing, I'm adding 15 years to my previous thinking.

Go Rodney! See you at the Masters Nationals in 2010 (and Dom, too!) :beerbang:
Rick, first let me thank you and Laurel for treating me like family. I had a blast visiting with you both and loved the workout. Spending time with you made my trip home complete. If I don't get too old between now and then, I WILL see you at the master's next year. lol

joedemarco
05-09-2009, 10:13 AM
I truly believe that there is absolutely no age limit to bodybuilding. That's what I luv about the sport. You can actually get better with age!

sassy69
05-09-2009, 12:31 PM
I truly believe that there is absolutely no age limit to bodybuilding. That's what I luv about the sport. You can actually get better with age!

:beerbang:

I think you also learn how to train smarter instead of harder when brute force doesn't work and you can't just "work thru" injuries or aches & pains. You also tend to be a lot more in tune w/ your body in terms of what "works" and what doesn't.

Suzy Brown
05-09-2009, 12:40 PM
You also tend to be a lot more in tune w/ your body in terms of what "works" and what doesn't.

That's what I'm seeing as I get older, I know myself better. But at the same time, I also keep surprising myself with what I can accomplish. I don't think I'll ever get tired of that!!! :)

Rocco1943
05-09-2009, 12:56 PM
I need to clarify something, I just noticed that Rick made me a LOT older than I am, instead of being 67 this July, I'll only be a mere 66. (lol)

esplendido
05-09-2009, 02:05 PM
I need to clarify something, I just noticed that Rick made me a LOT older than I am, instead of being 67 this July, I'll only be a mere 66. (lol)

Mmm hmmmm.....hedging on the age, Rodney....LOL! Shows you that even at the spry age of 52, some things (like hearing) start to go....:)

Rocco1943
05-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Yeah, but at my age I might have forgotten how old I really am.

Dom
05-09-2009, 04:14 PM
If I don't get too old between now and then, I WILL see you at the master's next year. lol

He WILL be there!!!!

sassy69
05-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Just had another brush w/ greatness.. the incomparable Ed Corney was at the NPC Contra Costa this morning. He continues to be one of the coolest people, and coolest icons I've ever met, in or out of the sport. His support of the Bay Area shows is just epic. And such a nice guy. He takes the time to shake your hand and ask your name. He even brings his own little 8x10 plastic covers for his pictures that he autographs. Seriously a class act in a sea of 15 min of fame assholes. (Not all pros are assholes, but considering those who do cop an attitude for their flash in the pan moments of glory compared to a guy has been nothing but a class act since the day "bodybuilding" as an iconic sport started.... you just can't compare.)

Dom
05-10-2009, 09:42 AM
Thats good to hear! Ed is still one of the best . Watching him was like watching art in motion!! :bowdown:

HeavyDutyGuy
05-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Inspirational stuff! As to training, its so individual. I'm actually the strongest I've ever been at 48, much stronger than I was at 28. I train harder than ever when I'm going for a show. Just have to warmup a lot more, and use strict form.

Rocco1943
05-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Inspirational stuff! As to training, its so individual. I'm actually the strongest I've ever been at 48, much stronger than I was at 28. I train harder than ever when I'm going for a show. Just have to warmup a lot more, and use strict form.

You are absolutely right about both the form and the warmup. I am 65 soon to be 66 and workout harder than ever and am stronger than ever. Form and warm up are the keys to avoiding injuries.

HeavyDutyGuy
05-10-2009, 06:34 PM
You are absolutely right about both the form and the warmup. I am 65 soon to be 66 and workout harder than ever and am stronger than ever. Form and warm up are the keys to avoiding injuries.

Right on Rodney! You're 65 and going strong? Now THAT'S impressive! Seeing that inspires me to keep pushing along. Its really more inspiring to me than the IFBB pros (of today anyway).

cook
06-04-2009, 09:22 AM
I`ve been training since Frank Zane was Mr, Olympia and I`ve never quit but I think I`ve been coasting for the last couple of years.You guys inspire the hell out of me and I had one of my best workouts in a long time this morning.I`m new here but I wanted to say thanks to all of you.

BigJD69
06-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Age is all in your head. If you tell yourself that you are old the body and mind will be old.