PDA

View Full Version : anxiety meds and muscle growth

irishpride
05-09-2009, 03:11 PM
i have a good buddy who has been going through some stuff causing him extreme anxiety so his shrink decided to give him some anxiety meds to help aid him in this time, i believe the pills are klonopin (sp) its a benzo thats all i really know..he is a die hard body builder with a good sponsorship deal and may even have the potential to go pro some day, now my question is will these pills inhibit gains and recovery from his training? he doesnt take them all the time he says and never before training. i have been looking for some info for him but all i get is people saying it shouldnt make to much of a difference..anyone have any studies or real sound facts etc?
ps if this is in the wrong section i am sorry and please feel free to move to the most appropriate.

Dr Pangloss
05-09-2009, 04:08 PM
short answer is no, they won't inhibit gains. many gaba agonists (although clonipin is a benzodiazapine and is just a gaba receptor positive modulator) actually cause enhanced gh release.

If he's trying to workout on them then there could be a negative effect, but if he's not on them while he's training, he's fine.

irishpride
05-09-2009, 05:04 PM
short answer is no, they won't inhibit gains. many gaba agonists (although clonipin is a benzodiazapine and is just a gaba receptor positive modulator) actually cause enhanced gh release.

If he's trying to workout on them then there could be a negative effect, but if he's not on them while he's training, he's fine.

thanks for the response, i figured as much but he is really paranoid about anything that can harm his gains in anyway..now i have a question would a person benefit by taking them at night to unwind and prepare for sleep or would the artificial drug mess with REM sleep and natural gh production, sorry if you may have round about answered i am justa mere layman though LOL thanks again Dr always good to have you around..

Dr Pangloss
05-09-2009, 06:30 PM
thanks for the response, i figured as much but he is really paranoid about anything that can harm his gains in anyway..now i have a question would a person benefit by taking them at night to unwind and prepare for sleep or would the artificial drug mess with REM sleep and natural gh production, sorry if you may have round about answered i am justa mere layman though LOL thanks again Dr always good to have you around..

diazapam apparently stimulates gh release. Others like flurazapam dont seem to affect it. there is some indication that it's drug specific. it would be better if you named the drug he's on. Anxiolytics don't have to be benzodiazapines either.

irishpride
05-09-2009, 08:11 PM
i thought i stated in my first post in the thread, its klonpin..thanks for the quick responses Dr

Dr Pangloss
05-09-2009, 08:33 PM
i thought i stated in my first post in the thread, its klonpin..thanks for the quick responses Dr

oops. sorry. nothing on that particular drug with respect to gh. that's a very abused drug though. he would be better off as far as gh is concerned by picking one that has been characterized, like diazopam or flurazapam. and certainly by picking one that has a better record regarding abuse.

I don't suppose he has the option of chosing though. Given how addictive clonazapam is, i would suggest he use it for a minimal amount of time. Addiction can destroy one's whole way of life.

Dr Pangloss
05-09-2009, 10:03 PM
you know brother, this is a great question for Joel (MD) in addiction medicine. he has a strong interest in training also, so he would be able to help with the possibilities.

He's not going to prescribe anything or give doses or anything, but i certainly feel this is a question for joel.

cheers.

ozy23
12-16-2009, 07:48 PM
how about xanex for sleep while on tren i use it to sleep but have found my joints are getting really saw could this be from the xanex habe never had it befor from tren ....