PDA

View Full Version : Chest advice!

Sliced N Diced
05-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Whats up, I just need some critique on what you guys think of this basic workout I put together. I want to try it out on Monday along with biceps so hoping to spark new growth. I haven't used barbells in so long because I recently went back to volume training from HIT.

Flat Bench: 3x8-10
Incline Bench: 4x8-10
Flat DB press: 3x8-10
Incline DB flye: 3x8-10
Pec Deck or Decline Flyes: 3x8-10

Im looking to bring up my upper chest and that's why I added an extra set for incline bench. On Monday, it will be my first time using barbells in a few months so hoping to be a bit stronger on them. I will be focusing on contractions anyways and just concentrating.

Wheels
05-09-2009, 08:14 PM
That is a shit ton of volume, why 5 exercises ? I know you're training volume but that seems like overkill to me. Why aren't you starting out with Incline Press for first exercise ? Have you tried pre-exhausting ? Pre-exhaust helped my chest significantly.

Sliced N Diced
05-09-2009, 08:22 PM
I may do 2 sets for last movement...Bringing total to 18 sets. Thats to much?

Wheels
05-09-2009, 08:31 PM
I may do 2 sets for last movement...Bringing total to 18 sets. Thats to much?

Actually, if you drop the last exercise to 2 sets it will be 15, total. I say give it a shot and see how your body responds.

Sliced N Diced
05-09-2009, 08:41 PM
Ill leave it be then, its not that many sets. Hopefully my body responds well to the barbell movements.

Wheels
05-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Ill leave it be then, its not that many sets. Hopefully my body responds well to the barbell movements.

For sure brother

Different stimulus will always add to encourage new growth.

Good luck

Trixter
05-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Just curious why you didn't include any decline exercises? Just tossing this out there, but I've always seen better results from just doing incline/decline work with the exception of finishing off with peck deck or cable fly.

Sliced N Diced
05-10-2009, 10:55 AM
No its not really my MAIN focus. But its one of them, seeing im young and still building my base. Im still trying to gain an overall chest, but want my upper chest to be the most outstanding one. While having a balanced chest, overall, lower and upper.

Frosty
05-10-2009, 11:57 AM
If you wanna bring up your upper chest why not do mostly upper chest movements? It's not like you don't use other chest muscles when targeting the top half.

I agree with this. I would use at least two different incline angles to make sure you're hitting all of the upper chest hard.

I find cables flies in the lower pulley position, where you bring your arms up and together, really hit the upper portion that attaches to the clavicle, from the sternum/clavicle joint all the way out to the anterior delt.

BigJD69
05-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Why don't you try to shock your chest by doing super sets and drop sets??

Sliced N Diced
05-10-2009, 12:11 PM
I do incline cable flies alot. Great movement.

Im going to include those as my last movement.

Why don't you try to shock your chest by doing super sets and drop sets??

I may do that here and there, not every session.

Sliced N Diced
05-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Check this out:

Flat Bench: 4x8-10
Incline Bench: 4x8-10
Flat DB press: 3x8-10
Incline DB flye: 3x8-10
Incline Cable Flyes: 4x8-10

Ill see how this works out tomorrow.

Sliced N Diced
05-10-2009, 07:17 PM
You said you want to prioritize your upper chest. Tax it first as outlined above.
Sounds good to me, thanks A LOT man. I appreciate you taking the time to do that for me. Hopefully it can do me some good. If I don't like it tomorrow, ill probably drop flat bench for something else.

"Rodz"
05-15-2009, 05:09 AM
That is a shit ton of volume, why 5 exercises ? I know you're training volume but that seems like overkill to me. Why aren't you starting out with Incline Press for first exercise ? Have you tried pre-exhausting ? Pre-exhaust helped my chest significantly.

truth!!!