PDA

View Full Version : Is Interval Training Too Much?

Joshua H
05-09-2009, 08:06 PM
I wanted to throw this out there and see what your perspectives are on the matter.

Right now I do 2 weekly cardio sessions as suggested by Layne (the guy doing my training/diet) for 25 minutes a shot on days I dont train with weights. It is not done fasted of course. I burn about 375 calories in that time using a 30 second sprint (11mph and 1.5% incline) and 1 minute walk
(4.5mph and 1.5% incline work:rest ratio. I also do a 5 minute warm up and then 7 minutes speed walking (same as walk above) after that as part of the total 25 minutes.

This week I dropped 2lbs (not cutting!) from last weeks weigh in and I hit all my meals, macros, workouts (made some personal bests even!) and all was good till stepping on the scale today. I am thinking that despite the short and sweet nature of the cardio, its still to much and perhaps leading to the dropped weight?

Wheels
05-09-2009, 08:23 PM
It's hard to say. Interval training is very effective for shedding body fat. If you're hitting PBs, still, even with the dropped weight I wouldn't worry about it. Too many guys get caught up with how much they weigh. Go by how you look in the mirror. If your strength begins to suffer then you can drop a day and see how your body responds.

Many people have mixed opinions on cardio in the off-season. I don't see an issue with it, if done properly, and think it can be very beneficial.