PDA

View Full Version : matt serra vs matt hughes

Plates
05-10-2009, 09:28 AM
We haven't talked about this one really.

I'm taking Serra. I think he still has the fire to try and make his opponent look stupid. Hughes is washed up and really has nothing to prove. He just doesn't look like he has the drive anymore. Not to mention he doesn't really even look or sound excited about stepping in the octagon again.

Mr X
05-10-2009, 10:41 AM
I gotta go with Serra. Hughes looks like he has lost the drive needed to compete and dominate , I'm a Hughes fan but I think its time that he goes back to his farm and just relaxes.

Dr Pangloss
05-10-2009, 10:57 AM
no way hughes loses this. It's going to the ground, and hughes will destroy sera on the ground. Hughes has already beaten the best bjj has to offer. Plus sera has no take-down defense.

i'm not a big fan of hughes, but i think he deserves this one and i think he will win.

Plates
05-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Mr. X has it spot on. Hughes lives about 30 minutes from me. He has an ass load of money, enough farmland to keep him busy and financially set for life, and has backed way off his aggressive nature compared to the way he used to act. I've seen him at a lot of local shows lately, and he seems to be happy coaching his up and comers. Either way, I hope it's a good fight.

BigJD69
05-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Agreed Hughes!

BrandonBass
05-10-2009, 04:34 PM
I hope Serra wins this one based strictly on the fact that I think Hughes is a dick! On TUF show he kind of bullied GSP which is what originally made Serra dislike Hughes....

BrandonBass
05-10-2009, 04:41 PM
no way hughes loses this. It's going to the ground, and hughes will destroy sera on the ground. Hughes has already beaten the best bjj has to offer. Plus sera has no take-down defense.

i'm not a big fan of hughes, but i think he deserves this one and i think he will win.

Hey Dr, I will have to respectfully disagree with that statement. Matt Serra's strength is on the ground. He may not have much take down defense and Hughes' strength is wrestling/take downs but do you remember what BJ Penn did to Hughes when Hughes was on top? Penn nearly ended the fight with a submission from the bottom. Serra is pretty dangerous on his back as well....."no way Hughes loses this." Hughes has looked horrible in his past 3-4 fights, Serra has much more fire on this one.

Sensei
05-10-2009, 10:19 PM
I like this match up, but I see hughes using a smart game plan taking serra down & winning a decision similar to the hughes/lytle fight

exit2010
05-11-2009, 11:39 AM
I like Serra. He is a stand up guy. I just think Hughes is going to unleash hell on him and take the fight.

Dr Pangloss
05-11-2009, 06:23 PM
Hey Dr, I will have to respectfully disagree with that statement. Matt Serra's strength is on the ground. He may not have much take down defense and Hughes' strength is wrestling/take downs but do you remember what BJ Penn did to Hughes when Hughes was on top? Penn nearly ended the fight with a submission from the bottom. Serra is pretty dangerous on his back as well....."no way Hughes loses this." Hughes has looked horrible in his past 3-4 fights, Serra has much more fire on this one.

I think sera's hands are better than Hughes, but sera is no bj penn on the ground. I would argue that gsp beat sera with wrestling, and i think hughes outmatches sera on take downs and take down defense and wrestling as a whole, so i think he can control the match.

but who knows, maybe sera will use some of those mad jiu jitsu skills he's supposed to have.

cheers.

BrandonBass
05-11-2009, 11:48 PM
I think sera's hands are better than Hughes, but sera is no bj penn on the ground. I would argue that gsp beat sera with wrestling, and i think hughes outmatches sera on take downs and take down defense and wrestling as a whole, so i think he can control the match.

but who knows, maybe sera will use some of those mad jiu jitsu skills he's supposed to have.

cheers.

Great point. I only hear that Serra has great BJJ skills. Never really seen it but he is supposedly amazing on the ground (albeit no BJ Penn).....really looking forward to this fight though because of all the bad blood! Should be interesting.

stephaniewicked
05-12-2009, 08:10 AM
I can't stand either of them, but I'm going with Serra if I have to choose... Hughes is such a jerkface!

Foreskin
05-12-2009, 11:59 AM
rooting for serra, i know he hasn't fought in a year but hughes has had his ass handed to him in his last couple of fights. besides he really is a cock, i think serra is a good guy

exit2010
05-12-2009, 12:40 PM
the best thing about the fight is the hatred they have for one another.

bringingthehuge
05-16-2009, 09:26 AM
hughes is a douche bag but i think he's going to win

juggernaut1987
05-20-2009, 03:24 PM
i think hughes will take it as long as he has his head in the fight instead of like his recent fights where he doesnt seem to care as much anymore.

on a side note, i visited and trained with hughes for about a week a couple of years ago and he was actually really nice off the mat and very helpful on the mat, maybe it was because there werent cameras around like on TUF but i think hes actually a good guy from my experience at least. he has an aggressive, confident, competitive attitude so i can see how he might come off as a dick sometimes, but its that attitude combined with his skills and strength that got him as far as he went in the ufc.

4evermuscle
05-20-2009, 05:48 PM
Serra will win this easily. Hughes has lost it.

GRAVESY
05-20-2009, 08:26 PM
Like to see Hughes take it. Fight seems like a last ditch for both of them, Hughes to cement his legacy and Serra to get back in the picture.

2manytoyz
05-21-2009, 10:30 AM
It really could go both ways but i'm going with Serra. Hughes is not what he used to be

Plates
05-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Hughes will go to sleep in the 1st. My prediction. :)

Dr Pangloss
05-23-2009, 06:47 PM
i just watched the trailer. i forgot about what a dick hughes is. Although he has the advantage, i hope sera wins.

bionic redneck
05-23-2009, 10:33 PM
i wont get to see it because my cable company doesnt know what they are doing

Dr Pangloss
05-24-2009, 08:16 AM
this match was a lot closer than the judges called, i thought.

stephaniewicked
05-24-2009, 09:18 AM
Does anyone think it was unfairly called? I think it was pretty close and hard to say. I thought they were gonna give it to Serra... It looked like Hughes even thought so...

Plates
05-24-2009, 08:45 PM
Does anyone think it was unfairly called? I think it was pretty close and hard to say. I thought they were gonna give it to Serra... It looked like Hughes even thought so...

Na, it was scored correctly. However it was some lay and pray bullshit from Huggies. He clearly knew he couldnt stand up with Serra; so the next best thing is to lay on top of him for the W. It is what it is I guess.

stephaniewicked
05-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Na, it was scored correctly. However it was some lay and pray bullshit from Huggies. He clearly knew he couldnt stand up with Serra; so the next best thing is to lay on top of him for the W. It is what it is I guess.

Yeah, true... he did get rocked pretty bad early in the 1st though. It would have been a classic fight had Serra ended him that early on! Despite not really liking the guy, it was nice to see them kiss and make up at the end, lol.

exit2010
05-25-2009, 02:31 PM

No kidding. Man, I was so disappointed with the fight. The whole thing. Lame.

Mike the Ripper
05-25-2009, 03:38 PM
No kidding. Man, I was so disappointed with the fight. The whole thing. Lame.

I can't believe anybody expected it to go any differently than it did. Everybody was so excited to see this fight and for the life of me I could never figure out why. Matt Hughes is probably the most boring fighter in MMA.

Plates
05-25-2009, 03:41 PM
I agree....but I expected Hughes to get knocked out.....and he did for a moment. Other than that, the lay and pray was definitely expected.

Mr X
05-30-2009, 04:53 AM
I finally watched this fight and for me Serra defiantly one and this was just another bullshit UFC decision.

Rd 1- Serra - complete control.
RD 2- Hughes just laying on top of him
Rd 3- Serra...1 takedown each but Serra was much more aggressive and he went for at least 5 submissions .

so I had it 29-28 Serra I just dont see how that 3rd round can go to hughes.

I'm getting sick of the UFC protecting fighters that they chosse.