PDA

View Full Version : When To Drop Creatine During Dieting?

wnybodybuildingfan
02-13-2009, 10:23 PM
When is the best time to stop using creatine when you are dieting down for a show?

militantmuscle
02-14-2009, 12:03 AM
I personally wouldn't recommend creatine in any low-carb situation... I'd cut it out when the athlete starts dieting.

Asmolenski
02-14-2009, 01:16 AM
I cut it out a week before the show.

Forrest
02-14-2009, 01:17 AM
I personally wouldn't recommend creatine in any low-carb situation... I'd cut it out when the athlete starts dieting.

Can you explain why?

AVBG
02-14-2009, 01:49 AM
When is the best time to stop using creatine when you are dieting down for a show?

I'd suggest dropping the creatine anywhere from 14-7 days before, for the reason being that it may affect your body drying out sufficiently in your preparation before the show.

MisledYouth
02-14-2009, 12:03 PM
I remember Layne saying that he never drops creatine leading up to a contest... I can't recollect his rationale behind it though.

AVBG
02-14-2009, 01:38 PM
I remember Layne saying that he never drops creatine leading up to a contest... I can't recollect his rationale behind it though.

Layne also doesn't manipulate/cut his water before the show.

Youngguns
02-14-2009, 01:43 PM
It wouldn't make sense to cut it at all. If you're lean you're lean. Creatine engorges the muscle with water, that's what you want. I see no reason to cut it. This is using simple logic.

militantmuscle
02-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Can you explain why?

Because you are not maximizing the effects when on low carbs, the ideal insulinogenic presence is not there.

SAMSON
02-14-2009, 02:50 PM
I've heard Dave say to drop it 2 weeks out.

jrod
02-14-2009, 06:32 PM
It wouldn't make sense to cut it at all. If you're lean you're lean. Creatine engorges the muscle with water, that's what you want. I see no reason to cut it. This is using simple logic.

This is how I've always thought of it too.

In fact, I actually TOOK creatine on the show day/s.

Beastonio
02-14-2009, 06:36 PM

Wow really? Well i guess it worked! I may have to try that.

Ion Drive
02-17-2009, 10:13 PM

I follow Dave's Keto diet most of the year and I definitely notice a positive difference when I add Kre-alkalyn in. I add it when I start cardio at 16 weeks out

Dave has written that when you're low carb dieting, GH and IGF-1 are high and that IGF-1 is significantly more efficient at driving amino's and glucose into muscle cells than insulin. Whether or not creatine is similarly affected by IGF-1, I can't say for sure, but I have seen results.

I cut it out of my prep 2 weeks before a show so it doesn't cause me to hold extra water.

ElSpiko
02-18-2009, 03:08 PM
Creatine only causes you to hold water intramuscularly, which you want. There is no sound rationale behind cutting creatine leading to a show. In fact, when you are low on carbs it is even more beneficial to continue creatine supplementation, since you will have less glucose to draw upon for ATP resymthesis and will have to rely on creatine stores even more.

lilGiant
02-20-2009, 12:36 PM
First of all...nice improvements sense i last seen you YG (avitar)

secondly, i agree w/ you theory. If you get lean enough, creatien doesnt need to be cut out...I really wish layne would chime in

matt1005
02-20-2009, 09:54 PM
Never drop it. Is creatine suppose to hold water under the skin or hydrate the muscle cell? I think everybody knows the answer to that.

matt1005
02-20-2009, 10:04 PM
That is not what he told me to do for my show.

militantmuscle
02-21-2009, 12:43 AM
The effects of creatine are realized under certain conditions.

IGF-1 would promote high anabolism if there was sufficient ATP. If you are in a dieting state, you don't have a lot of ATP simply because you are taking in less calories.

You could use creatine, if you were using the proper up-regulators (T3, clenbuterol, ephedrine among others) and if you could ensure sufficient stores of ATP in you diet I suppose, but I simply don't think it is necessary during contest prep, and of more use during an anabolic phase where nutrients (and therefore ATP) are high enough to support hyperplasia, strength increases and higher protein synthesis optimally.

The key is to understand the relationship of ATP to creatine and CP.

rockhard
02-23-2009, 10:31 PM

I agree. I take it all the way up until and on the day of the show. As the others have posted, creatine is taken up in the muscle not under the skin.

ironman70
02-26-2009, 12:40 AM
is 5 grams before meal 1 and 5 grams post work out ideal? should you cycle it?

i recently did 8 weeks on and am almost finished with my 1st week off. debating whether i should go back on or not.

matt1005
02-26-2009, 07:09 PM
is 5 grams before meal 1 and 5 grams post work out ideal? should you cycle it?

i recently did 8 weeks on and am almost finished with my 1st week off. debating whether i should go back on or not.
I do not cylce it. I do not see the point.

TheSpirit
02-26-2009, 07:49 PM
if you are lean you are lean. No reason to cut it out.

A) Diet longer

B) Don't get too fat in the "offseason"

Expect a week of dieting for every pound you need to lose to get shredded.

fitiron
03-04-2009, 11:25 AM

IMO, once you've started dieting you should pretty much stick with what's working. I've always been told it was a mistake to change anything during prep, because you really have no idea how your body is going to respond.

I used it up to the day before my last show.

YOUNGguns! You've made some really good progress bro!

thepump
03-21-2009, 05:44 AM
same for me he helps me train. but ask him.:cool:

miamibodybuilder
03-11-2011, 12:19 PM
well as far as my prep goes, i cut my creatine exactly one week before the show, but i use it all the way up til then man. some people say that you should cut it weeks before but i dont see the point in the since creatine helps keep the muscle bellies nice and full by allowing nutrient filled blood in there. i may try to cut it out 3 or 4 days out and see how that goes. i'll keep you posted on that, but yeah man keep it in there til you get at least a week out. good luck

mgn1mxc
03-11-2011, 10:00 PM
Creatine draws water into your muscles stores...while it may impact water manipulation it should in theory actually help your muscle bellies look fuller come contest time.

http://www.tigerfitness.com/?Click=17500 (http://www.tigerfitness.com/?Click=17500)

wnybodybuildingfan
03-20-2011, 02:07 AM
Which brand of creatine does everyone use. I use Species Crealyze. Thanks for your input.

data4
03-24-2011, 08:05 AM
5g daily even before a show. It really doesn't affect leaness obviously and water storage from it is not subcutaneous so its only going to help fill out your muscle more. Post this in the contest prep section and scoobysnacks the forum leader will tell u that. He has done my preps and his carb up/dry out peak week set ups are second to none.

Johncena
03-28-2011, 11:26 AM
Hi guys...
A lot of people told me that the creatine is not a good option while on keto diet.I have cut with and without creatine and prefer to use it. Sure I may look "puffier" but it helps with strength, resulting in accelerated fat loss. Provided your diet is in check, it will not cause you to gain fat, but probably will cause water retention.

natenator
03-28-2011, 11:52 AM

low carb is kind of when the muscles need it the most

ritch
03-28-2011, 12:03 PM
I would stay on. Also natural need to hold on to all they size they have, it makes no sense to take something away that makes you 5-10lbs bigger and much stronger.

Ironman19871
03-31-2011, 07:07 PM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne-norton-peak-week-water-sodium.html

(creatine covered around 4 minute mark)

LIQUIDEX
03-31-2011, 07:32 PM
Creatine makes a big difference in the gym, at least for me, and i don't get the "bloat" some guy's talk about...............plus it only helps 'volumize' the muscle............it's all about losing body fat, that's your main concern, worrying about creatine is a nusense, unless you absolutely know that creatine fucks up your look, which i doubt that's the case for many.

FYI...........i have never competed, so you can take what i have to say with grain of salt, but even competitors differ, some cut it out others don't which tells u that creatine effects everybody differently, or that some competitors are more nuratic than others lol.............

NEEDTOBUILDMUSCLE.COM
03-31-2011, 07:48 PM
In my opinion, there isn't a good reason to NOT have creatine in your regimen during a precontest phase. It should not go into the last week, though, unless it is taken out and then put back in the morning of the show. I will tell you that it is sometimes used as a volumizing tool, along with other last minute things, for some on the morning of the show. I won't say that I advocate this move but some do and swear that it works extremely well. The creatine isn't what I take issue with on the morning of the show - it is the other compound that forces the creatine to shuttled where it should be so quickly

miamibodybuilder
05-24-2011, 01:10 PM
i've usually cut it out 1-3 weeks out from a show, but this time around i'm not cutting it out at all. i dont see a reason to. creatine causes intracellular water retention, meaning it's in the muscle not extracellular which means outside the muscle. and isnt that what we want, intracellular water to make the muscle look bigger and fuller? thats just my 2 cents. i'll let you guys know how it goes in a few months. my show is in august so i'll definitely post how it goes

NaturalHardBody
06-26-2011, 03:25 AM
I think capsuled creatine or N.O. doesen't make you hold water, a least it didn't have me holding water.

Hoss06
06-26-2011, 04:17 AM
I think capsuled creatine or N.O. doesen't make you hold water, a least it didn't have me holding water.

I was on Kre-Alkalyn (capsule) up to show. No water retention

Hoss06
06-26-2011, 04:19 AM
Just take some liver support to!