PDA

View Full Version : Holding Water After Show

neofarq
05-12-2009, 05:14 PM
Did a show on Saturday, ate a fucking ton after and the following day, also drank a ton of water. Holding a shitload of water, ankles are swollen, basically I went from being able to see my muscle fascia fibers on saturday morning to today having legs like a pregnant woman!! Has this happened to any of you? Will it subside after a few days? HELP?!

Frosty
05-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Yes, has happened to me severely before. Took a lot longer than a few days to go away. I don't like the idea of depleting water and sodium on low carbs and then after eating a shit ton of carbs, salt, and water....you get bad edema. People were asking me what was wrong with me because my face was so bloated and puffy and I felt like shit. I think that's a bad habit of bodybuilders. There needs to be control post-contest and a planned-out strict diet to "come off" contest dieting.

Luka Treska
05-12-2009, 05:34 PM
Did you use any diuretics? Aldactone?

billytrainer
05-12-2009, 05:42 PM
frosty nailed it. it happens when u cant control eating & sodium after the long dieting process... its not a good thing, but drink tons of water to keep the body in a flushing state... it'll go down in a few days..

Frosty
05-12-2009, 05:53 PM
It's the idea people have of "I'm done with the show, now I can eat" and it can have bad consequences. Bad water retention and possibly fast rebound fat gain (especially if you weren't that lean to begin with and dieted hard for the show).

What's the point in getting in such great shape if so quickly lose it? As a bodybuilder you want to stay leaner and that requires a specific diet to come off hard strict dieting. Especially for guys that tend to carry more fat on them!

And yeah, using diuretics for the show, and also coming off clen especially not done properly can make it even worse.

Luka Treska
05-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Most definately, I've seen way too many guys coming off mindlessly and gaining 40lbs in a matter of weeks. Not healthy at all.

I agree though, self-control is key. If we diet so hard and stay so strict the entire time in contest prep, we should have the same self control and discipline after the show. Plus personally, after a show, I can only eat so much before feeling sick to he stomach.

indianamonster1986
05-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Did a show on Saturday, ate a fucking ton after and the following day, also drank a ton of water. Holding a shitload of water, ankles are swollen, basically I went from being able to see my muscle fascia fibers on saturday morning to today having legs like a pregnant woman!! Has this happened to any of you? Will it subside after a few days? HELP?!

Yup definitely happened to me horribly. It will subside. Went to my deep tissue massage therapist and that helped. Plus took a little letro.

matt1005
05-12-2009, 07:11 PM
I have had the problem one time after a show, with my ankles actually swelling. Now that I have competed a number of times, I don't have all the cravings like before. I had a couple pancakes and a little candy after my last show. It was prefect for me. My mom actually said "is that all you are going to eat?" Haha

VillainDog
05-12-2009, 11:53 PM
Had bad edemia the first contest. Now I add salt slowly back in and use a half dose diuretic for 3 days post contest to help with the rebound.

HeavyDutyGuy
05-13-2009, 12:46 AM
I usually only gain a couple lbs after. My stomach has shrunk so much, that its hard to overeat, plus I'm usually tired, would rather sleep than overeat.

bigmikecox
05-16-2009, 07:35 AM
After one show, I put on 32lbs in 4 days!!! Not very healthy and look and felt like ass!!! Never again. I WANT to eat a ton after this show coming up, but I am going to do my best just to have a little something and a little fluid

neofarq
05-22-2009, 08:27 PM
K so it's been almost 2 weeks since my show as of weds last week been doin 30 min. AM cardio and 40-75 min. PM weights and clean diet with about 200 g. carbs total 300 pro., drinking tons of water also completely off all drugs and looking and feeling great!! In LA for the Cal this weekend, bout to go train at Gold's Venice and eat at the Firehouse!!!