PDA

View Full Version : strength coach

robert da strongman
05-12-2009, 08:36 PM
most bb'ers have trainers and prep people.
as strength athletes do you have a coach?

would you employ a coach or join a group/team for the strength training?

Joshua H
05-12-2009, 09:11 PM
USA Weightlifting certifies several hundred of its members at annual conferences as club coaches levels 1-3.

The NSCA also has a CSCS certification that certifies (related) degreed professionals in strength training and conditioning.

They by nature of their certification are qualified to coach people looking to take part in these activities. It would seem logical that this be a two way street and athletes look to find such coaches as well if they feel the need to work with one.

SUMO
05-12-2009, 09:19 PM
Nope.

robert da strongman
05-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Nope.

brilliant answer...so if louie simmons wanted you at westside you would turn him down?

robert da strongman
05-12-2009, 09:25 PM
USA Weightlifting certifies several hundred of its members at annual conferences as club coaches levels 1-3.

The NSCA also has a CSCS certification that certifies (related) degreed professionals in strength training and conditioning.

They by nature of their certification are qualified to coach people looking to take part in these activities. It would seem logical that this be a two way street and athletes look to find such coaches as well if they feel the need to work with one.

good point...the cscs certification is nice to see. they know their stuff.

but is good coaching experience or book knowledge?

SUMO
05-12-2009, 10:46 PM
brilliant answer...so if louie simmons wanted you at westside you would turn him down?
Actually, yes I would. I much prefer a training partner to someone "coaching" me.

crashcrew56
05-12-2009, 10:59 PM
My team has a coach, but he's part of our team

musclegoddess65
05-12-2009, 11:33 PM
I think a good coach is book knowledge AND experience... you are not going to come out of the gate with a new CSCS cert or ISSA or any of the other hundreds out there and have a boat load of clients - the best coaches be it for BBing, strength, etc... are ones with experience that learn to relate to their clients and not cookie cut them into programs...

Sistersteel
05-12-2009, 11:33 PM
John Coffee is my man. Don't know what I would do without him.

musclegoddess65
05-12-2009, 11:44 PM
John Coffee is my man. Don't know what I would do without him.

SS chatting with a new found friend in the gym... (apparently an older gentlemen who back in his day was a power lifter) and I mentioned the name John Coffee, he knew the name, mention asylum gym... and I had one of those wow its really is a small world moments in my head...

Sistersteel
05-12-2009, 11:47 PM
SS chatting with a new found friend in the gym... (apparently an older gentlemen who back in his day was a power lifter) and I mentioned the name John Coffee, he knew the name, mention asylum gym... and I had one of those wow its really is a small world moments in my head...

That it is..and the fact that John Coffee has been an icon in Strength Training for the past 40 years :)

BrotherIron
05-12-2009, 11:52 PM
most bb'ers have trainers and prep people.
as strength athletes do you have a coach?

would you employ a coach or join a group/team for the strength training?

I have a few people (John Coffee and my wife, SS) who I go to for help and guidance when it comes to getting me stronger while maintaining my body weight.

I think it's ludicrous for anyone to think that they know everything and couldn't benefit from outside help in reaching goals whatever they may be.

I personally think having a team to train with is a great way to learn, grow, and motivate you to push yourself farther than you would ever do on your own.

tjoe
05-13-2009, 08:11 AM
I'd add my .02 but I think everything has been covered :)

robert da strongman
05-13-2009, 12:06 PM
I'd add my .02 but I think everything has been covered :)

throw down them pennies....

gotta go with what mike and crashcrew posted

experience is a great teacher. a good team or training partner is worth everything

Sistersteel
05-13-2009, 12:09 PM
Up in my neck of the woods all the great ones go to Dr. Ken Leistner. He's as good as they get. Experience is everything.

His name does not ring a bell...I will ask John about him.

I concur, experience is everything.

musclegoddess65
05-13-2009, 12:26 PM
I have a few people (John Coffee and my wife, SS) who I go to for help and guidance when it comes to getting me stronger while maintaining my body weight.

I think it's ludicrous for anyone to think that they know everything and couldn't benefit from outside help in reaching goals whatever they may be.

I personally think having a team to train with is a great way to learn, grow, and motivate you to push yourself farther than you would ever do on your own.

agreed! just having a training partner in general that knows you are capable of more than you think you are is a bonus too... i get that on rare occasions...

Ryan Bracewell
05-13-2009, 01:05 PM
If the athlete could afford it I would highly recommend a strength coach. Even I would pay for it if I felt they were more knowledgeable than myself. Even the most experienced strength athletes benefit from having a coach or partner to push them. Look at chuck Vogelpohl(sp), he is probably the best equipped powerlifter in history but he still uses Louie and the Westside crew as part of his support team to keep getting better.

Just like in business, if you are not open to suggestions and new things then you are heading in the wrong direction. There is always someone that knows more, so its wise to listen.

robert da strongman
05-13-2009, 05:43 PM
so for the serious strength athletes...if you had an oppurtunity would you move or travel a long distance for training?

Ryan Bracewell
05-13-2009, 05:52 PM
so for the serious strength athletes...if you had an oppurtunity would you move or travel a long distance for training?

As a strength athlete I would never move just for my sport. Strength sports do not pay enough, and odds are I wouldn't make the same kind of money anywhere else. Money isn't everything, but it allows me to do strongman and not strain my budget at the same time.

Now if I was training to get an MLB, NFL, NBA, etc contract then I would move where ever I needed in order to get the proper training.

robert da strongman
05-13-2009, 05:57 PM
As a strength athlete I would never move just for my sport. Strength sports do not pay enough, and odds are I wouldn't make the same kind of money anywhere else. Money isn't everything, but it allows me to do strongman and not strain my budget at the same time.

Now if I was training to get an MLB, NFL, NBA, etc contract then I would move where ever I needed in order to get the proper training.

yeah well look who you train with...

for me it wouldnt matter i can move a do just about anything.
heck i drive an hour just to train events.

Ryan Bracewell
05-13-2009, 06:10 PM
This is true, but for me travis more of a motivator than a coach. Like a real good trainer partner that simply makes you better just by you trying to do what they do. A good partner or even a good gym can make all the difference in the world, that's why I opened my gym.

If you have the means to move and be closer to people that are more knowledgable and are as psyched about training then I would say go.

robert da strongman
05-13-2009, 06:15 PM
i suppose in strongman its more the training partner or group of guys versus any coach or guru.

weightgain4000
05-16-2009, 02:03 AM

Do you if the NSCA makes any exceptions for the CSCS? Im studying econ, but I'd love to have a Strength coach certification.

weightgain4000
05-18-2009, 11:06 PM
Any 4 year degree will do. A friend of mine just got his CSCS. He has a BA is economics.

Awesome. Best news I've heard all day. Thanks!!!