PDA

View Full Version : What technique do you use to assess a clients strength?

Youngguns
05-13-2009, 02:27 AM
All in the title.

MRT
05-13-2009, 02:35 AM
The obvious bench dead squat

swingslammer
05-13-2009, 04:56 AM
Well YoungGuns, if I were you I would assess it this way.....

If they are weaker than you they MUST be pussies....

and if they are stronger they MUST be on the sauce.

P.S. And it goes without saying there is no way they can be anywhere near as pretty as you!

Joshua H
05-13-2009, 11:15 AM
I go smith flat bench, smith front shoulder press,

BB squat (Angled leg press if back issues)

90 degree bent BB row

I also check resting heart rate and a 6 minute treadmill HR response to set protocls to gain insight to individual cardiovascular fitness llevels to find target ranges for LISS and HIIT cardio training. The whole age predicted equation is very very outdated and inaccurate for more fit clients such as...hmmmm bodybuilders maybe??

Frosty
05-13-2009, 12:06 PM
Structural balance - how balanced are you? - RX Muscle Forums

Youngguns
05-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Well YoungGuns, if I were you I would assess it this way.....

If they are weaker than you they MUST be pussies....

and if they are stronger they MUST be on the sauce.

P.S. And it goes without saying there is no way they can be anywhere near as pretty as you!
Have you ever heard of the term "eugenics"? As a young boy I was freightened of this term, today, at 21, it sounds like a blessing.

Youngguns
05-13-2009, 01:01 PM
I go smith flat bench, smith front shoulder press,

BB squat (Angled leg press if back issues)

90 degree bent BB row

I also check resting heart rate and a 6 minute treadmill HR response to set protocls to gain insight to individual cardiovascular fitness llevels to find target ranges for LISS and HIIT cardio training. The whole age predicted equation is very very outdated and inaccurate for more fit clients such as...hmmmm bodybuilders maybe??
If I show my clients these movements the first day they won't be coming back, nor will they understand their concept.

BigJD69
05-13-2009, 01:05 PM
If I show my clients these movements the first day they won't be coming back, nor will they understand their concept.
IMO the Squat. It is up to you as the trainer to educate your clients. Get new clients then.

Youngguns
05-13-2009, 07:40 PM
Ok, when 80 year old mother of 5 wants to prevent osteoperosis, I'll tell her to barbell squat to start, and she'll tell all of her friends, I'll be rich.

/sarcasm

Frosty
05-13-2009, 09:27 PM
Why do you need to assess an 80 year old's strength??

Is she cleared medically to undergo training?

BigJD69
05-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Ok, when 80 year old mother of 5 wants to prevent osteoperosis, I'll tell her to barbell squat to start, and she'll tell all of her friends, I'll be rich.

/sarcasm
You didn't give an age you said "client". I do agree that an 80 y.o. mother shouldn't be lifting HEAVY. You will see her progression without judging her strength!

Joshua H
05-14-2009, 10:39 AM
I have only been working with college athletes and physical healthy physique athletes in the past year. Every one of them is clear to undertake these testing modalities safely and effectively. I explain why I do it and how I will do it before we even start formal training together.

I stopped doing all that general population training junk a long time ago. I contract with my gym owner by paying him $100 bucks a month flat fee to train and promote myself and my bizz as I please without having to take "orientations" or give free new member workouts. You dont see Doctors out there giving new patients a couple free check ups and physicals do you? So why sould trainers with advanced degrees and certs be doing any different if we wish to be percieved and respected as do other health professionals?

Frosty
05-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Wait YG, due to my psychic ability, I can answer your question for you.

SHE'S WEAK!!!

Ryan Bracewell
05-14-2009, 02:35 PM
When I was training I assessed it based on the info provided in their background/training experience form they filled out and from their first workout. Their first workout, I would pick a few compound movements, some on machine some free weight based on history then do pyramid sets increasing the weight until we found a good weight for 10 reps.

The Big Sexy
05-14-2009, 04:47 PM
You can assess anyone's strength - but not always on the same implements or exercises.

If I have a 70 year old client - which I do - I will use swiss ball squats, db curls, lat pull down, a machine press, cardiovascular tests, balance, etc. Just determining brute strength won't accomplish much - need to run the gambit.

If it is someone more formidable... who wants to be pushed - yeah, I'll go into heavier exercises - see what they have. I always have a bosu ball handy - those are great to figure out core strength and balance.

I recruit all of my own clients- so, word of mouth and marketing is the name of the game. I train at a gym that is a "trainer haven" - no fees for trainers, at all. You and your client have to be members or pay guest fees... that's it. So, there aren't a lot of clients getting handed out to trainers - none really...