PDA

View Full Version : Hip stiffness after heavy squats and deads

crashcrew56
05-13-2009, 11:22 PM
I had a squat and DL workout on saturday and then the next few days I noticed a lot of stiffness in my hips. Does this happen to anyone else? Does anyone know anything to do to help prevent this?

BrotherIron
05-14-2009, 11:57 AM
I don't have this happen to me but I stretch quite a bit before I begin lifting as well as after.

Do you stretch?

robert da strongman
05-14-2009, 11:57 AM
mine are stiff all the time.

stretching helped.
full lunge, back leg extended, roll front leg out to side, drop to floor

crashcrew56
05-14-2009, 12:27 PM
I stretch before but not after, maybe I should try that

GirlyMuscle
05-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Stretch after. Never stretch a cold muscle.

robert da strongman
05-14-2009, 03:48 PM
I stretch before but not after, maybe I should try that

after is best.

speaking of stretching...

find "relax into stretch" by pavel tatsouline

BrotherIron
05-14-2009, 05:42 PM
All Oly lifters stretch before, during, and after b/c honestly to just jump in and squat ass to floor without properly stretching your hips, quads, hams, back, etc WILL lead to injury. Think about it. If you start training while your tight, chances are you're going to injure yourself b/c you will have to force yourself to perform a full ROM movement. Being properly stretched and warm before lifting allows you to complete lifts in the full ROM without having to force it.

I have been following this train of thought and I haven't had any problems, stiffness, or injury.

toddbz
05-15-2009, 03:37 PM
A lot of 'hip' tightness can be attributed to tight I.T. Bands and iliososis (small horizontal muscle in lower back). Look into stretches for them. Balance the stretch out by also stretching the goin and adductors.
Then watch how easy you decend into your squats. makes pulling MUCH easier as well since wiht the hips loose it will allow you to get into posiiton easier and not put all the job onto your back to get into form

Skeptic
05-15-2009, 05:02 PM
I get tight hips after deads because I use the Sumo style and that recruits a ton of hips to do the lift. Use a muscle, it gets sore. No biggie. ;)

SouthernLord
05-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Check this out bro. This has saved my hips and I squat mutliple times a week.

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/weight-training-weight-lifting/warm-up-your-hips-agile-8-a-631289.html

ThePoser
05-21-2009, 02:07 PM
I find YOGA helps a lot with that

realmccoy
05-26-2009, 10:47 PM
Yes, I had that happen to me several times. What I usually do is wear a tighter pair or powerlifting brief's the next squat workout. If you hips continue to hurt take a week off from squat and give your hips a rest.