PDA

View Full Version : full deadlifts vs knee deadlifts

anthony1992
05-15-2009, 09:31 PM
what do you think are better to build thinkness in the lower back. deadlifts from the floor or deadlifts in a power rack till the bar is right under your knees?

robert da strongman
05-15-2009, 10:00 PM
full deads

R_U_Red_D
05-15-2009, 10:03 PM
full deads

with proper form and under control as well.

Most people don't execute them properly/try to break strength records during a workout and end up hurting themselves.

robert da strongman
05-15-2009, 10:07 PM
with proper form and under control as well.

Most people don't execute them properly/try to break strength records during a workout and end up hurting themselves.

true learn good form

bigtimektz
05-15-2009, 10:11 PM
I use both movements in my routine.
Both have advantages. I think the floor deads are probably better for overall back development. I like the rack deads because I can go really heavy and take my legs out of the movement.

Shadow
05-15-2009, 11:01 PM
Floor deads, even though they have me limping at the moment...

canadian-muscle
05-18-2009, 07:48 PM
Full Deadlift all the way i find that those half deads feel really ackward .

HOOPIE
05-19-2009, 01:02 AM
I use both movements in my routine.
Both have advantages. I think the floor deads are probably better for overall back development. I like the rack deads because I can go really heavy and take my legs out of the movement.

Couldnt agree more...Both exercises have their advantages and place in a workout. an if you rally want to get froggy try super setting them. During my shock week i'll super set them. start at 135 for 8 and keep adding 45's. By 315 im toast and begging to be done.....

HeavyDutyGuy
05-19-2009, 02:25 AM
I do both, mostly full, but every other workout or so, I do heavy partials in the rack with very heavy weights.

Ninja Loco
05-19-2009, 03:05 AM
Full deads when done properly are superior to anything else. The problem is doing them right. I thought I was doing them right all this time until I saw a deadlift instructional video. Here all this time I thought I was riding my shins (cause I have the scars and shit to prove it) all the time and I wasnt. Somehow, somewhere I started setting up AT the knee and shin but as I lifted I defocused on the lift and started focusing on just getting the damned thing up. THAT made me start leaning too far forward and not riding my shins like I thought. No wonder my deads weren't progressing steadily and my back was killing me afterwards.

Ok the point of all that is now Im dead set on focusing on the technique of the lift instead of just getting the weight up, so I make damned sure i FEEL that bar along my legs. The results? 425 for three reps tonight at a weight of 172. Might not mean much, but a couple of months ago I could barely do 385. AND I feel them all over my back, not just the lower. Lats, spinal erectors, traps - everything.

BLUEBARON75
05-19-2009, 09:29 AM
fulll deads work great

SouthernLord
05-19-2009, 08:29 PM
Full deads ftw.

Rack pulls are a great way to overload you back though. I feel pulling from the floor in my low back, glutes, and hams more than rack deads. Both are great.

Mr. Hyde
06-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Full deads are the king of mass building movements BUT if its mainly back thickness rack deads are also great because 1) you could pull more weight 2) less glute and hamstring involment.

jeff_hardy
06-09-2009, 08:08 PM
there's no questions about it. for me its all full deads. I felt that rack deads really suck for me. never felt good with the movement.

rack deads are just a way to gain strengh.

B7emm
06-14-2009, 11:43 PM
I like the full dead. when you dead from a rack you place a lot of stress on the l4 and l5 disk in the back . if you were to rupture the disk ( i have) you can have a lot of leg pain and foot numbness. keep the abs tight at all times during the deadlift try not to stay to long in the mid range of the movement. you should do just fine.

joedemarco
06-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Full deads......although it's good to work them off the rack, with additional weight, occasionally. Seems to help my strength gains on my full deads.

THUNDERGOD
06-16-2009, 07:06 PM
I use both in my routine, just rotate them around a bit. I can go just a bit heavier on the partials, but the full deads really get me fired up.

freak
06-16-2009, 08:15 PM
depends on the persons height... most people are pretty dogmatic about training and will say that full deads are the only way and knee deads are for pussies.. so if you train to impress other men in the gym youll have to do full deads. if you train for results, health, or other sports, youll do what feels best to you.

chasebny
06-16-2009, 08:39 PM
Anyone do partials outside of the rack?

Take them just below the knee then back up, without deloading. Its rough.

dropshot001
06-17-2009, 02:21 PM

sounds like an injury waiting to happen, or an sldl

Shadow
06-17-2009, 05:27 PM

Well, that certainly doesn't sound safe! That's a lot of pressure on the lower back, IMO.

Stavman
06-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Whatever feels better for YOU.

I can full dead all day and move some good weight, but I feel rack deads a lot more.

dropshot001
07-05-2009, 08:42 PM
given that your back is in good health, do both, but on different days. you can really overload the back/traps on rack thickness as you can do more on those than you can on floor deads.

freak
07-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Well, that certainly doesn't sound safe! That's a lot of pressure on the lower back, IMO.
i do them like that, thats how ive always done them. feel fine to me. it forces you to lift weight you can handle instead of heave-hoing weight with fuck face form.

Shadow
07-05-2009, 11:04 PM
i do them like that, thats how ive always done them. feel fine to me. it forces you to lift weight you can handle instead of heave-hoing weight with fuck face form.

I mean, that's pretty much how I do stiff-legs. But to bend like I would for a normal dead seems a little odd.

crashcrew56
07-06-2009, 01:34 AM
Full deads would be the best choice if you're looking for some back thickness, but I also think there should be a place for knee deadlifts, they are a great exercise. I'm not saying to add them into every workout, but every few back workouts replace full deadlifts with some rack pulls