PDA

View Full Version : How much is too much?

Sistersteel
05-16-2009, 05:00 AM
Say you are out getting hammered on a saturday night, How many of you know when to stop?

Do you drink till you drop and rely on others to drag you home? How many times have you driven yourself home completely trashed??

Why do you drink?

SS

Wolfstriked
05-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Too much is when you go from life of the party to sitting in corner and staring at people with one eye closed for better focus.

Curt James
05-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Say you are out getting hammered on a saturday night, How many of you know when to stop?

Do you drink till you drop and rely on others to drag you home? How many times have you driven yourself home completely trashed??

I have on occasion, but not recently. Never did a 12-step deal. Never really had a reason to. But have taken a break since August 2007. Had my last three beers in the past several years that year - two at a Damon's with my brother and his one in-law watching the World Series, and a Budweiser at an Appleby's enjoying a steak. Nothing in 2008 and nothing so far this year.

Why do you drink?

SS

There's obviously a big social component, but I've attended BBQs where I'm the guy playing the drinking games with soda instead of beer or just an empty red cup.

"DRINK!"

(slams imaginary drink)

It can be done, but it might make it weird for some people. I never get much friction that way. Or haven't.

I started my break on my 45th birthday to help erase the skinny/fat action. Something about cortisol. I'd have no problem having another beer, but now it's kind of "a streak." lol

On the other hand, I have several drinking-related scars on my body and I really am not interested in adding to those scars. :beerbang: (Mountain Dew, yo.)

Mr X
05-16-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm the guy playing the drinking games with soda instead of beer or just an empty red cup.

Parrrrrtaaaay !

Wolfstriked
05-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Classic post!!

Curt James
05-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Too much is when you go from life of the party to sitting in corner and staring at people with one eye closed for better focus.

Too much is when you think you're Chuck Norris, plate glass starts breaking, and a blurry red hole opens up in your arm.

Ahh, you're only 17 once.

-yBW-0y-fiM

I caught the window on my forearm instead of the biceps. And I got my window on the first punch. D'OH! :rolleyes: That looks like some heavier plate than my window. We're both lucky we didn't catch the glass on the wrist or directly on the tendon at the elbow. :(

http://www.handuniversity.com/images/illustrations/elbow_anatomy06a.jpg

Curt James
05-16-2009, 11:07 AM
Parrrrrtaaaay !

LMAO!

I know, right? Don't get too crazy. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/curt_james/Rx/smileys/beerbangdouble.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/curt_james/Rx/smileys/tbang.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/curt_james/Rx/smileys/HEADBANGER2.gif

Sistersteel
05-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Too much is when you think you're Chuck Norris, plate glass starts breaking, and a blurry red hole opens up in your arm.

-yBW-0y-fiM

I caught the window on my forearm instead of the biceps. And I got my window on the first punch. D'OH! :rolleyes: That looks like some heavier plate than my window. We're both lucky we didn't catch the glass on the wrist or directly on the tendon at the elbow. :(

Dayum :eek:

That could have been worse for sure! lol

DemonWolf
05-16-2009, 12:59 PM
i have a 2 drink limit/ or 1 drink per hour if it's a long night like new yrs eve.
I personally find being "drunk" pretty pathetic.

Sistersteel
05-16-2009, 01:06 PM
i have a 2 drink limit/ or 1 drink per hour if it's a long night like new yrs eve.
I personally find being "drunk" pretty pathetic.

Are you telling me you don't fancy laying in your own puke and piss while your friends do this to you??

http://www.funatiq.com/images/amusing-drunk-dude.jpg

Goodfellas
09-11-2009, 11:47 AM
I used to drive home all the time and pass out in the driveway..

Perception
09-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Nope dont know when to stop..

Never drive, live in the city

Goodfellas
09-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Me too dont know when to stop with beer. Drink it like water.

R.I.P.
09-28-2009, 10:12 PM
anyone ever heard ...one is too many and a thousand never enough.

spider63
09-29-2009, 04:48 AM
Go to an NA or AA meeting and pour your guts out there with real people and stop being cowards. You are not being serious about recovery if all your are doing is whining about drinking too much beer. Stop being wimps. Deal with real people who will call you on your bullshit in person and tell you who you are and what you are doing wrong and how to do it right. Find your spiritual power and fill that black hole in your soul with something good.

There are groups of real people who have overcome all of the defects of character that you are struggling with right now, and they will kick your ass and set you straight. Find a group near you right now and go to your first meeting today. NOW.

This is the link to Alcoholics Anonymous. (http://www.aa.org/) You can find a local meeting in your city or town every day at any time from 7:00 am to midnight.

This is the link to Narcotics Anonymous (http://www.na.org/). Same story. Meetings every day, all day long!!

Stop living in a horrible world of excuses and failures. Change your life right now!!!

Irish
10-11-2009, 07:20 PM
I personally like to limit myself to 6-7 pints, I also avoid drinking spirits. Any more than this and my personality veers towards the darkside, and I wake up with a ferocious hangover.

Larry C
10-12-2009, 07:30 AM

Why do you drink?

SS
If I'm drinking to get hammered then I will continue to drink at least 8-10 pints of beer or cider, if it's just a quiet social thing in a pub I might have 2-3 or none at all.

When I begin to find difficulty with walking I'll stop. I've been so bad that I've made use of a method of walking where crawling becomes an integral part of the walk and when I'm like that I've left anyone I was with because I don't feel it would benefit me or them having any interaction with them when I'm like that.

I've only recently started to drink large amounts, before I was dedicated to martial arts and was completely sober for a few years but now since I can't go training when I want to relax and have some laughs with friends I'll have a few drinks.

Irish
10-12-2009, 07:45 AM
If I'm drinking to get hammered then I will continue to drink at least 8-10 pints of beer or cider, if it's just a quiet social thing in a pub I might have 2-3 or none at all.

When I begin to find difficulty with walking I'll stop. I've been so bad that I've made use of a method of walking where crawling becomes an integral part of the walk and when I'm like that I've left anyone I was with because I don't feel it would benefit me or them having any interaction with them when I'm like that.

I've only recently started to drink large amounts, before I was dedicated to martial arts and was completely sober for a few years but now since I can't go training when I want to relax and have some laughs with friends I'll have a few drinks.

Twice in my life I have drank to the extent that I cant walk properly, its not fun when the whole world is spinning, lol.

Larry C
10-12-2009, 08:01 AM
Twice in my life I have drank to the extent that I cant walk properly, its not fun when the whole world is spinning, lol.
I think around the time of the Leaving Cert is when most Irish people find out their absolute worst drunken selves. The morning after my last test I woke up in my bed wearing a t-shirt for boxers, some puke on my wall and I had cuts on my hands because I had crawled home for an unknown amount of time. First time I got a hangover and the first time my parents ever saw me slightly drunk. I know now from that experience if I decide to drink not to push myself too far.

spider63
10-15-2009, 04:15 AM
First time I got a hangover and the first time my parents ever saw me slightly drunk. I know now from that experience if I decide to drink not to push myself too far.

A hangover does not happen when you are slightly drunk. Drinking and alcoholism is not NARCOTICS ANONYMOUS issues, though you can be a drunk and a druggie too.

Either there are no drunks and druggies who work out, or there are just a bunch of wussies posting here, or the people who are posting are just being polite (DENIAL) about their problems?

Either way, I was expecting some stories about flipping over cars, crashing into store-fronts, catching on fire from the crack-pipe, gun-fire, sex-for-trade, pimping out Mom and sister, etc.

I know this scummy guy who works out at the gym I go to (and he does not pay, since he bullshits his way past the slackers that work there), and he is a major pot-head and he pimps his younger sister. That is very sad, especially since his sister is a druggie too and she is 17 and is starting to look like she is 30. Now that is a NARCOTICS story, not some lame shit about puking on the wall. :yep:

Larry C
10-15-2009, 05:30 AM
A hangover does not happen when you are slightly drunk. Drinking and alcoholism is not NARCOTICS ANONYMOUS issues, though you can be a drunk and a druggie too.

Either there are no drunks and druggies who work out, or there are just a bunch of wussies posting here, or the people who are posting are just being polite (DENIAL) about their problems?

Either way, I was expecting some stories about flipping over cars, crashing into store-fronts, catching on fire from the crack-pipe, gun-fire, sex-for-trade, pimping out Mom and sister, etc.

I know this scummy guy who works out at the gym I go to (and he does not pay, since he bullshits his way past the slackers that work there), and he is a major pot-head and he pimps his younger sister. That is very sad, especially since his sister is a druggie too and she is 17 and is starting to look like she is 30. Now that is a NARCOTICS story, not some lame shit about puking on the wall. :yep:
Bravo Spider you've become the all-powerful sage of Rx by typing about someone you know, fantastic. Does the inclusion of that story add anything to the thread?

The man you spoke about is a jackass yes but you're not doing anything about the situation so you've contributed just as much valuable information. I know people who've died as a result of heroin, x and suicide so does that make me an expert on those situations? no, I just talked about that one personal experience when I was 18.

I know alcohol is not a narcotic but this thread is, read the first post.

By the way when you're trying to seem tough don't use a smilie.

spider63
10-15-2009, 10:31 PM
I know alcohol is not a narcotic but this thread is, read the first post. By the way when you're trying to seem tough don't use a smilie.

Isn't there a alcoholics anonymous section?

BTW, I am not trying to seem tough. I have been to enough NA meetings to hear lots of entertaining stories, and if you are going to share, it should include either A) an arrest B) car crash C) catching on fire or getting stabbed or shot, D) tragic loss of child custody, domestic violence, and/or restraining order; E) Loss of job, repo of car, home foreclosure; or F) death.

Those are rock bottom stories that are both illuminating and entertaining. Like an episode of Law and Order, Criminal Minds, or CSI. You want to feel their pain and learn from it. Somebody had to die so that others could figure out a valuable life lesson.:hmn:

Heavy Metal
02-16-2010, 11:57 AM
You dont have to lose anything but self respect to get clean n sober.
Whats up with your arms spidey?

razorsedge
02-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Alcoholism=Narcotics addiction. The only real difference is alcohol is a legal drug.
Addiction is addiction is addiction.

Fragger2323
03-16-2010, 08:41 AM
I may be a little different with all of this. I am addicted to pain killers. I can not be in the same house with them unsupervised because I will happily proceed to take them all. That is an addiction, and one is too much, because it leads to many.

However I have had a bunch of legal trouble with alcohol. 3 years ago, when I turned 21, I really got addicted to painkillers. I mean, I always was, but this time I had a supply. Anyway, once those ran out, I found alcohol (something I never used) was a good substitute. Anyway, I split with the wife, and went into overdrive because I figured, at 22, I deserved it. That led to driving home 'intoxicated' and getting caught a few times. I know it sounds absurd, but you always figure that you are ok, since you were much drunker in the past and it never affected your driving. Well, the cops don't see it as that, and rightfully so. I did stupid things, and I am paying the price for those actions.

With that said, I am not addicted to alcohol in the same way that I am addicted to painkillers. I have a fridge full of beer that has been that way for months, and I only drink once or twice a week. Now that I am resuming bodybuilding and getting my life together, I have no desire to drink. I would still love a painkiller though, lol.:yep:

Anyway, when I do drink, I make sure there is nothing to do the next day, and I do it at home. In public, I always have someone else drive for me, but going out these days and getting piss drunk is not really an option. So, if I drink, the gloves are off. I aim to drink until I do not want alcohol anymore. I view 'too much' as being alcohol poisoning. Usually, I drink around 11 beers and call it quits. I do not take shots or anything, so my goal is not to black out, but if I am gonna do it, I do it right. There is no point to drinking other than the effect. No one will ever convince me that people exist who simply enjoy the taste, and would choose the same beverage over something better if the intoxication aspect was not there.

I also have OCD, so it really all comes and goes. Sometimes I will want to 'party' all the time, and I will drink to do that. Then it is like a switch goes off in my head, and boom, I don't want to drink anymore. I do not understand it really. However it is always gametime for painkillers for me, as they make life better in just about any endeavor.

FinishFirst
03-16-2010, 05:50 PM
I drink about 5 or 6 cans depending on the day or night...if its a party it could be about 40 something

FinishFirst
03-19-2010, 12:43 AM
the golden child

fitbody
04-07-2010, 09:41 PM

-yBW-0y-fiM

i gotta nice big nasty scar on my right forearm from puttin my arm thru a window in a drunk rage
the fuckin scar healed so bad they hadta re-cut it open and stitch it

Wrex
04-19-2010, 02:28 PM
I can drink a 12 pack to myself, smoke a blunt, and still be fine. Yeah I'll be fucked up, but I can control myself.. all I do is laugh and piss a lot. I think my high tolarance comes from hardcore drinking from ages 18-20. I've calmed down since then, but the tolarance never went away. Still smoke weed everyday.