PDA

View Full Version : push press help!!!

robert da strongman
05-17-2009, 01:42 PM
ok mine sucks butt thru a straw.

i cant seem to get my legs into. so i am stuck.

any advice to help with it?

GameofInches
05-17-2009, 03:14 PM
This is a tough one b/c its not a strength issue, it sounds more like a technique issue. You need to make a conscious effort to bend your legs and rive through then just about the time the legs lockout you need to start driving the bar up with your shoulders. One thing that might help is to do front squats with a log. That way you practice having an implement in position while driving out of the hole. Then all you would need to do it push your arms up when doing the push press.

I guess I should have asked this before writing what I just wrote, but is it that you do not use your legs when doing the press or you find that using your legs does not offer enough carryover to the press?

robert da strongman
05-17-2009, 03:34 PM
i try to use my legs. for some reason i am out of sync.
front squats might be the trick

GameofInches
05-17-2009, 03:53 PM
That is a hard thing to fic b/c it is a technique and mind/muscle connection issue. That comes down to practice, practice, practice. I sometimes go real light (135) and work on speed, maybe you could try going light and work on the technique in order to get everything in sync. And the front squats may help too. Goodluck with it man!

robert da strongman
05-17-2009, 04:00 PM
yeah i added a light set to end my push press

i guess i have to wrap my head around the movement

Thad
05-17-2009, 04:19 PM
I would suggest doing some front squats.

Ryan Bracewell
05-20-2009, 06:47 PM
rob, what is it about the push press/jerk that you cant do? is the dip and press, or the dropping below the bar(jerk).

robert da strongman
05-20-2009, 06:48 PM
dip and press.
its the same for my log.
training partner says i have no leg drive.

Ryan Bracewell
05-20-2009, 06:52 PM
dip and press.
its the same for my log.
training partner says i have no leg drive.

What is your 1rm on standing barbell overhead with no leg drive? What is your max with leg drive?

robert da strongman
05-20-2009, 06:54 PM
What is your 1rm on standing barbell overhead with no leg drive? What is your max with leg drive?

got this advice on marunde...press from the heels

Ryan Bracewell
05-20-2009, 07:06 PM
hmmm, without video its a tough call but some common mistakes are:

-not pushing off heel.
-dipping too far
-holding bar in hands rather than resting on delt shelf(some can do it while in hands but its much harder)
-not driving with their arms on the push back up.

robert da strongman
05-20-2009, 07:15 PM
i will have my training partner check it out saturday...try to get some video too

Sistersteel
05-20-2009, 08:21 PM
I would usually curl my toes up before the drive so it forces you to drive through your heels.

tjoe
05-20-2009, 08:23 PM
a little trick that helped me a while back:
when the bar/log/axle is racked on your shoulders, imagine trying to "throw it up" with your chest... kinda like you have no arms. Drive your chest up through the bar. This image helped me quite a bit at first.

Then when I was getting stuck again I started to focus more on my heals and that helped even more.

Not that I am the best overhead guy but at under 220lbs. I got 225 x 8 and 245 x 4 sets of triples on behind the head push presses. That helped me win the Viking Press event anyway...

robert da strongman
05-20-2009, 08:24 PM
I would usually curl my toes up before the drive so it forces you to drive through your heels.

going to give that a try then.

robert da strongman
05-20-2009, 08:24 PM
a little trick that helped me a while back:
when the bar/log/axle is racked on your shoulders, imagine trying to "throw it up" with your chest... kinda like you have no arms. Drive your chest up through the bar. This image helped me quite a bit at first.

Then when I was getting stuck again I started to focus more on my heals and that helped even more.

Not that I am the best overhead guy but at under 220lbs. I got 225 x 8 and 245 x 4 sets of triples on behind the head push presses. That helped me win the Viking Press event anyway...

kinda like the idea with benching....pushing yourself away from the bar.

BK
05-20-2009, 09:21 PM
kinda like the idea with benching....pushing yourself away from the bar.
Driving with your heels and letting the bar rest on your calvicles are key. Let the bar rest to a point that it actually becomes a part of your body.

robert da strongman
05-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Driving with your heels and letting the bar rest on your calvicles are key. Let the bar rest to a point that it actually becomes a part of your body.

my training partner brought that up last week. he always noticed his best pressing left bruises on his clavicles

Sistersteel
05-21-2009, 01:16 AM
Rob two more exercises you can incorporate to help you with that problem.

Jerk Drives...Like tjoe said, rack that bar on your clavicles and just use your legs to thrust it up off your chest. Just pretend that your arms are not even there. You do not even need to jerk or press the bar. Just conditioning yourself to "feeling" the bar to where it becomes a part of you, like BK said.

Jerk Supports...adjust the pins in the cage to where they are right above your forehead and a few inches below your wrists where your arms would lock out on a press. Get under the bar and push it up and hold it there..that will help you get used to bone on bone positioning on your lockout after the press, Just to familiarize yourself with that feeling..

Hope that helps.

robert da strongman
05-21-2009, 01:27 AM
ok going to add those....

this will totally revamp my press training

Sistersteel
05-21-2009, 01:32 AM
ok going to add those....

this will totally revamp my press training

That, and you better drive down here to train at Coffee's with BI and myself :)

We are expecting you.

robert da strongman
05-21-2009, 01:34 AM
That, and you better drive down here to train at Coffee's with BI and myself :)

We are expecting you.

i will have to.
gonna be in columbia sc in september

Sistersteel
05-21-2009, 01:35 AM
Just a few more hours south :)

robert da strongman
05-21-2009, 01:38 AM
i wont be driving then. training partner is competing in masters nationals. gonna compete in the open light for the helluva it.
certainly after my season is over...sometime in the winter

robert da strongman
05-23-2009, 12:19 PM
log press 2 on Vimeo

log press 1 on Vimeo

Ryan Bracewell
05-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Rob,

In the first video you basically stalled out during your dip, making it virtually useless. the idea is to dip and pop up quickly to give the bar/log momentum. The dip and rebound should prob not take more than 1 second.

In both videos you did a push press(dip, then press with the legs straight), but what you want to try is Dip, rebound, then dip again while catching the weight at the top. Think of it in the sense that you are not actually pressing the weight. Like your driving with your legs so hard that the weight flys into the air and you drop below it to catch it at full extensions.

Doing a push jerk with the log is hard so you may want to practice it with a bar or axle.

robert da strongman
05-23-2009, 03:11 PM
Rob,

In the first video you basically stalled out during your dip, making it virtually useless. the idea is to dip and pop up quickly to give the bar/log momentum. The dip and rebound should prob not take more than 1 second.

In both videos you did a push press(dip, then press with the legs straight), but what you want to try is Dip, rebound, then dip again while catching the weight at the top. Think of it in the sense that you are not actually pressing the weight. Like your driving with your legs so hard that the weight flys into the air and you drop below it to catch it at full extensions.

Doing a push jerk with the log is hard so you may want to practice it with a bar or axle.

was exactly what the guys were telling me today.
going to have to practice with the bar.
i did notice the press itself was easier with my boots on.

Ryan Bracewell
05-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Here is a good example of what im talking about. This is my buddy Andy, he is the one that beat me in Orlando and got his Card.

YouTube - Andy Vincent Log Clean & Press 320x5

robert da strongman
05-23-2009, 03:27 PM
thanks Ryan!

robert da strongman
05-26-2009, 04:09 PM
update....

i was able to get the dip!
worked up to 205 and still did it.

tjoe
05-26-2009, 07:10 PM
gettin there....