PDA

View Full Version : Are Breakfast Cereals A Good carb source?

SadFatty
05-17-2009, 03:35 PM
I read that if the cereal has under 5 grams sugar it is okay. Special K only has 2 grams and puffed wheat has 1 gram. I like having these sometimes....they are quick and yummy. I also have them with skim milk and only a little bit.

SallyAnne
05-17-2009, 03:50 PM
I guess that depends on your diet and what your goals are. I'd rather have oatmeal, though.

tammyp
05-17-2009, 04:26 PM
the only cereal i will do is fiber 1. and i use it in cottage cheese and greek yogurt. off season. most are not high fiber and very filling.

i prefer oat bran hot cereal, the kind i buy has 10 g fiber per serving or plain ol oats.

dublin-lifter
05-17-2009, 07:05 PM
id have wheatabix cause it can be quick and convient but usually prefer eggs or porridge(oatmeal)

The Big Sexy
05-17-2009, 07:11 PM
Love Grape Nuts

KBigz81
05-17-2009, 07:35 PM
I like multigrain cheerios or fiber 1 w/wheat puff post workout only. Otherwise just thick cut oats is my main source.

SadFatty
05-17-2009, 09:22 PM
Are the quaker oatmeal packets good to eat?

Allifit
05-17-2009, 09:42 PM
I'm an oatmeal girl, on season or off. Offseason I spice it up by adding fruit and nuts sometimes; walnuts, almonds, pecans, and things like strawberries or blueberries.

I love cereal but the kinds of cereals I like are the kinds that have no place in my diet- lol, like Lucky Charms and Reeses Peanut Butter Puffs.

Frosty
05-17-2009, 11:52 PM
If you like high GI carbs, and some like special K being higher than glucose, then go for it.

Same goes if you like overly processed dead foods with additives.

SallyAnne
05-18-2009, 12:30 AM
I'm an oatmeal girl, on season or off. Offseason I spice it up by adding fruit and nuts sometimes; walnuts, almonds, pecans, and things like strawberries or blueberries.

I love cereal but the kinds of cereals I like are the kinds that have no place in my diet- lol, like Lucky Charms and Reeses Peanut Butter Puffs.

Captain Crunch. :D

tammyp
05-18-2009, 05:51 AM
Are the quaker oatmeal packets good to eat?

stick to plain oats and flavor yourself. these are high sugar and super processed.

KBigz81
05-18-2009, 06:23 AM
I've thought about having a cheat meal of Capn Crunch OOPS All Berries though..but the crap usually comes out when I'm dieting...damn them, how do they know when I'm dieting? :rolleyes:

BigJD69
05-18-2009, 09:11 AM
I LOVE Captain Crunch!!!!

Frosty
05-18-2009, 12:17 PM
I've thought about having a cheat meal of Capn Crunch OOPS All Berries though..but the crap usually comes out when I'm dieting...damn them, how do they know when I'm dieting? :rolleyes:

Breakfast cereals are awesome for a cheat meal, but the problem I get is raw gums from chewing all the crunchy cereal lol. The next day your gums hate you :(

BEAST MODE
05-18-2009, 12:37 PM

Count Chocula!!!

Mouse
05-18-2009, 06:53 PM

You gotta eat them quick though. Leave them in the milk too long and they turn into Captain Soggy...and that's not a good time :(

I'm with TBS in that I like Grape Nuts. They're like eating gravel but there's something addicting about them.

GeminiJedi
05-18-2009, 06:56 PM
I LOVE Captain Crunch off season.... I like Grape Nuts with milk and a scoop of chocolate protein powder, microwaved so they're gooey when I'm not dieting down. Thick Cut oats are always good. I put pumpkin pie spices in them, and when not dieting down if you make them with milk instead of water it is VERY close to pumpkin pie :D

KBigz81
05-18-2009, 07:48 PM
I LOVE Captain Crunch off season.... I like Grape Nuts with milk and a scoop of chocolate protein powder, microwaved so they're gooey when I'm not dieting down. Thick Cut oats are always good. I put pumpkin pie spices in them, and when not dieting down if you make them with milk instead of water it is VERY close to pumpkin pie :D

In the off season you should put a little bit of pumpkin in your oatmeal after you've cooked it. Now thats some punkin pie!

GeminiJedi
05-19-2009, 12:49 AM
In the off season you should put a little bit of pumpkin in your oatmeal after you've cooked it. Now thats some punkin pie!

Ohh....I need to try that! 8.5 more weeks!! I had some protein pancake thingies last season that was pumpkin and cream of wheat or rice cereal...HEAVEN! I need to find that recipe again.

SadFatty
05-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Thanks for all the serious replies! I've decide to eat only 1 bowl per day IF that and I will only have bran flakes, crispix, special K, puffed wheat or the oatmeal packets. I will eventually wean myself to real oatmeal once I've finished my oatmeal packets. I bought a whole bunch and don't want to waste them!

Jaredmus
05-28-2009, 12:05 PM
I cant wait to be done with my shows to have Honey Comb, And captn Crunch Peanut butter, im doing the long island this weekend then the atlantic states. Then pigging out for 3 days.

gmta99
06-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Kashi Go lean or Eziekel cereal

11Hungrybb
06-29-2009, 12:21 PM
I use ezekiel cereal from Food For Life with unsweetened almond milk. off season of course.

prettymuscles
06-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Kashi Go Lean "Puff" cereals has less sugars than the other Kashi's - (on off season diet)

figurebre
06-29-2009, 01:00 PM
honey bunches of oats arent too bad for you, fiber one...just keep an eye on the sugar

stephaniewicked
06-29-2009, 01:13 PM
honey bunches of oats arent too bad for you, fiber one...just keep an eye on the sugar

True. I personally like the regular fiber one. I took a peek at the nutritional contents on the flavored ones a few months back and immediately put those boxes right down. Sooooo deceiving!

BrotherIron
06-29-2009, 01:45 PM
I would suggest plain old shredded wheat. The one which you have a big block and you break it up and eat. The nutritional facts are very similar to that of oatmeal if you don't want to eat something hot.

prettymuscles
06-29-2009, 02:40 PM
I would suggest plain old shredded wheat. The one which you have a big block and you break it up and eat. The nutritional facts are very similar to that of oatmeal if you don't want to eat something hot.

OMG.. i remember eating that as a kid (not by choice) lol

Peaceful28
06-29-2009, 04:45 PM

I love lucky charms! One time at work, a co-worker left a box in the doctors lounge and I ate every single marshmellow in the box. I did leave them the cereal though, so they would have something to snack on. :D

KBigz81
06-29-2009, 04:55 PM
I love lucky charms! One time at work, a co-worker left a box in the doctors lounge and I ate every single marshmellow in the box. I did leave them the cereal though, so they would have something to snack on. :D

LOL Thats so sweet of you to leave some for them..ha

andreag
06-29-2009, 05:47 PM
im with alot of you...oatmeal for me only!

i love the junk cereal too much! i will literally eat it til the roof of my mouth gets raw! haha...
captain crunch is a killer on the roof, but oh so good! :D

Peaceful28
06-29-2009, 06:14 PM
LOL Thats so sweet of you to leave some for them..ha

Well, I didnt want to be rude! :p

MikeS
07-03-2009, 09:01 AM
Oats all the way. Weetabix are good: low fat, high in fibre etc. Depends really there is a time and place for everything you could have cornflakes PWO or like me I'm using them to carb up today along with my rice and meusli

stephaniewicked
07-03-2009, 11:52 AM
I ate the entire box of honey nut cheerios after my show this past weekend... I don't even wanna know how many carbs I consumed, but damn... were my tastebuds happy!! :)

I'm like Andrea... I can't even have a taste or have it around... too tempting. So I stick with oats... but I love my oats and look forward to them so it's a good alternative.

LisaRD23
07-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Luck Charms anyone? :p

Seriouly though I just have my oatmeal, and once in a blue when I'm not strict dieting I'll have some Kashi crunch.

Voland
07-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Lucky charms!!!! :o:p:D
I havent had those (same stuff other brand name) since i was 8 and school gave a small box to each one as an afternoon snack:popcorn:. I don't think they are in the market anymore here. :mad:

"Rodz"
07-05-2009, 02:01 AM
I love Vector, but I almost cant stop from eating the whole box

antonbrn
07-05-2009, 02:23 AM
oatmeal, one banana and a little bit of honey