PDA

View Full Version : Bosshogg training system

Wheels
05-18-2009, 05:58 PM
|CREDIT TO BOSSHOGG|

Ive been getting a ton of pm's about this so I guess Im going to try and lay this all out for whoever is interested. What Im going to show you is a basic template of what I do to get someone as big as possible as quickly as I can. This routine is something that has evolved over the years into what it is today. I do not claim to be on the cutting edge of anything but I have found that something along the lines of what Im posting has shown better results with numerous clients than other things I have seen.

Before I start I want to list a few things that I believe are imparitive for the majority of people who are looking to put on lean tissue as fast as possible.

1. Higher frequency than training one bodypart one time per week.
2. Compound movements. No isolating muscle groups.
3. At least 2 times your bodyweight in protein EVERY DAY.
4. Frequent breaks from Squats and Deadlifting.
5. Very little to no direct arm work.
6. For a 200 pound person, at least a gallon of water a day.
7. Minimum of 7 hours of sleep per night.
8. Logging your progress every workout.

Without doing the math I would guess that easily 95% of trainers can handle the volume/frequency that this involves as long as you are following the guidelines I have posted above in regaurds to consumption and sleep. Again this is just a template of what I teach but if you just stick to what I have posted here and dont go ''changing'' things around you will make very good progress. I have already wasted lots of valuble time refining this so I have already taken the guess work out.

Ok, basically what I do is just 2 different workouts and I rotate these two workouts back and forth training every other day. You could train on Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday with two days off at the end or Wednesday-Friday-Sunday with two days off at the end or Monday-Wednesday-Friday with the two days off at the end.......what ever split fits your life. The elect few can actually train every other day without two days off at the end. So they could train Mon-Wed-Fri-Sun-Tues-Thurs-Sat-Mon.........even those that are gifted in the recovery department can handle this for so long before a layoff needs to take place but we can track their progress in the log book to see if a break is in order. Having said that, I will say this.........if your weights or reps are increasing, you are not overtraining. If your going to do this then you should stick to having the two days off at the end, your going to need it.

I take just one exercise per major bodypart and progress with that for as long as I possibly can. I have a number of tricks I use for different movements that make them more efficient but unless Im working with you specifically, use the biggest compound movements you can. For example, for chest, tris and shoulders I use nothing but big presses. No laterals, no flys and no extensions. Stick with the movements where you can recruite the most amount of muscle. Barbell presses, smith presses, dumbell presses and machine presses. Legs, no extensions, lunges or any funny stuff. I use only squats, leg presses, hack squats and machine squats. Unless you are competing I dont incorporate hams or calves. Between the squating movements and deads you will be getting all the ham and calves activation you need. With the way I have this laid out you will be overtraining with direct ham, calve and arm work. For Back I use nothing but pulldowns, big rows and deads. Again, with the rows and pulldowns the way this is set up you will get all the arm work you need, other wise you will over train. We can worry about arms once we get you up to a 19 to 21 inch arm. I am almost to the point where I believe any arm work at all is not needed and even more so will lead to overtraining.

I have this structured so that there is no pyramiding of the weight being used for your worksets. I do not believe in pyramiding weight as all it does is confuse the progression process. Most movements will consist of 4 sets of 20 to 30 total reps. The amount of reps being used is an individual matter and what a particular trainer feels they get the best results from. To keep this simple I usually start everyone I train out at 30 total reps and see how they respond. If you are bench pressing 315 for example, your chest workout for that day would look like this. 135 warmup for 4 to 6 reps. 185 warmup for 3 to 4 reps. 225 warmup for 2 reps. 275 warmup for 2 reps. Now your work sets. Press the weight to failure for 4 sets with the goal being to get a total of 30 reps.
SET 1....10 reps
SET 2....7 reps
SET 3....5 reps
SET 4....4 reps

Thats a total of 26 reps. So if this workout was on a Tuesday, the next time you hit chest would be Saturday. So on Saturday I would expect you to get 28 or 29 reps. When you get to 30 reps, you add weight and start over again until you can no longer progress on the bench press.

Let me show you an example of what this routine will look like and then I can touch on a few more details.

WORKOUT 1

Bench Press= 4 sets for a total of 30 reps
Weighted Dips= 4 sets for a total of 30 reps
Military Press= 4 sets for a total of 30 reps
Sqauts= 2 sets for a total of 30 reps

WORKOUT 2

Reverse Grip Pulldowns= 4 sets for a total of 30 reps
Bent Rows= 4 sets for a total of 30 reps
Lower Cable Rows= 4 sets for a total of 30 reps
Machine Rows= 4 sets for a total of 30 reps

Another way to do workout 2 is........

WORKOUT 2

Barbell Curls= 4 sets for a total of 30 reps
Bent Rows= 4 sets for a total of 30 reps
Machine Rows= 4 sets for a total of 30 reps
Deadlift= 2 sets for a total of 15 reps

When doing deadlifts, I will sometimes have that trainer doing curls to make up for the lack of the other rowing movement which works the bicept and forearm.

To find the weight you need for each movement you will take your first week or two and when doing warmups to figure out what you need. When doing 30 reps I would have you choose a weight where you would fail around 23 to 26 reps and work your way up from there. When you get to a point where you are no longer able to progress on that movement, switch it out for a new one and beat the living crap out of that one.

Deads and Squats. By just doing the two sets we are really pushing our CNS to the limit, this is where diet and sleep come into play big time. I have found that deadlifts will burn you out much faster than squats so to combat this I will remove deads when a person is no longer making progress on their other back movements. This is when I will have them doing the 4 back pulling and rowing movements and have them run this for as long as they can without deads. I also recommend that every few weeks you skip doing squats whenever you feel run down.

Like I said before this is just a template but if you follow this to a tee you will make excellent progress very fast. I am still open for training for those that want to really get the full effect of this and you can still email me or send me a pm but I just wanted to get this out there to answer some questions alot of you had. Hope this helps.

Wheels
05-18-2009, 05:59 PM
PART 2

I know there are a number of people here using the program that I have posted and I want to go into a little more depth about how to get the most out of this without individual attention. I can come across like a know it all but you have to understand that I have spent years beating my head against the wall trying to figure this stuff out. How to make things better, what works, what dosent, whats the fastest way from A to B. This is my passion and my life and it took until now to get to the point where I have this thing to where it works really, really good. It makes me sick to my stomach to see people waste their time and energy and get nothing out of it so I want to take some time and explain a few points about this program and hopefully this really hits home with someone and makes more of a difference.

There are three things that I cannot stress enough that will make this take off like a rocket for you. Food, water and sleep.

You eat like a horse right? Hey, maybe you do but do you have any idea how many people say this and when they put it down on paper it looks more like a bird. Lets get something straight right off the bat..........do you have a clue what you are trying to do here?? Your trying to do the impossible!!! We are talking about 30 to 60 pounds of lean tissue in one year. We are talking about rotating two workouts with the same bone crushing movements back and forth, time after time after time and beating your previous reps by several reps just 4 days after the last time you pounded that muscle group that you could barely beat from the time before! Do you realize how much of a freaking pounding this does to your CNS and muscle recovery?

Adding 30 to 60 pounds of muscle to a frame in a year is pretty radical, so does it make sense that if we want to get something pretty radical then we are going to have to do some pretty radical things? Does 400 grams of protein a day sound radical? How about 500 grams? 600? Protein is the number one contributor to building muscle, and with the demand we are putting on our muscles, we need to supply them with tons of protein. Heres the deal........if your 200 pounds and your getting in 300 grams of protein........this wont work, so dont even bother. If your not willing to get in AT LEAST 2 to 2.5 grams of protein in every single day, your kidding yourself. We are literally on the verge of overtraining with this program and in order to fend this off for as long as we can and continue to make progress faster than ever before we need to POUND FOOD! Im not talking about crap either. Every 2.5 hours its going to be 60 to 100 grams of chicken, beef, eggs, cottage cheese, veggies, shakes, oatmeal, peanut butter, fish, ect.

Quit crying about feeling full and bloated. Quit crying about feeling fat. Your not going to get fat. Do you know that you cannot eat to much for breakfast and right after a workout? These two times alone your body is like a sponge and it will devour everything you throw at it. Dude.........Ive brought this up a million times before but why dont you think you ever see any big muscular guys walking around?? I know why.......no one eats. They eat 4 or 5 little meals a day and without really counting out how much they ate they think they ate a ton just because they ate often. Remember......that whole radical thing? I'll be straight up with you, I will out eat just about anyone on a daily basis and I dont get big and fat. I have junk genetics and I dont do cardio and I lift weights for 3 times a week for about 30 minutes a day. I have trained my body by lifting weights like a mental patient for that 30 minutes that every ounce of quality food that goes down the hatch will be shuttled right to the muscles that just got hammered to supercompensate for the next bout in a few days. I will tell you right now that for the first few weeks with this program your going to feel like a freakin whale. Deal with it. Its going to take that long for you to train your body for it to know that every 2.5 here come that boatload of food. By constantly supplying it with nutrients your metabolism will go into overdrive and burn fat along with feeding starving tissue.

There was a kid born in Michigan a few years ago who was born with a phyical defect. He did not have the myostatin gene which limits the amount of muscle your body builds. The parents said that he eats like a MONSTER all day, every day and does not get fat. They said that this kid seems like he cant get enough food. Maybe we can learn something from this kid. If we are putting such a demand on our bodies and forcing ourselves to grow by lifting heavier and heaiver weights every few days, dosent it seem like by supplying ourselves with a massive amount of food then we can push ourselves to become muscularly massive as well? By not just giving ourselves ''enough'' food to get by or even grow a little bit, we can literally force the body to transform into something it has no desire to be, muscular. Your body has no need for muscle, it needs fat but if we re-train it by oversuppying it, it will be forced to build excessive muscle while burning excess fat.

Water. I used to be pretty hardcore about the whole water intake issue but I have backed off a little bit. I realize that we actually have lives and once you start putting down upwards of 2 gallons a day, all you end up doing is just peeing all the time. I expect a 200 pound guy to drink a least one gallon a day. Depending on your size, you should be somewhere between one and two gallons. Staying fully hydrated is imparitive for maximum gains. When you have a constant supply of water going into your system then everything is going to function smooth. The idea here is that we never want to make the body guess when the next shipment is coming, we want it to know there is always more on the way so it can use what it needs and burn the rest without storing anything for fear of a drought. Staying fully hydrated will make it much easier for your body to supply tissue with the nutrients. BTW........if your thirsty.......its too late.

The last thing is that your not getting enough of is sleep. I have experimented with this for years as well and let me tell you that the difference between getting 5 to 6 hours of sleep and getting 8 to 10 hours of sleep is night and day........literally. Yeah, I hear you.......''8 to 10 hours of sleep each night?!? Sorry, I dont have time for that!'' Well you dont have time for 50 pounds of muscle this year either. Look, you do what you want to do but Im just letting you, ok. This isnt a program where your banging out some reps and getting a good pump and moving on to the next exercise...............there is no next exercise! This is it, you only have RIGHT NOW to defy logic and do more than you did a few days ago and put your muscles in a position to where they have no choice but to grow. Its the same freaking movement, day after day after day that makes you wonder how in the hell can I possibly keep progressing at this rate? This will break you down in a flash if you dont have your ducks in a row.

Dude, I can honestly say that you can watch yourself grow and get bigger by the week when your getting 8 to 10 hours of sleep each night, and Im not exaggerating. Your CNS and muscles recover while your awake but its very slow. Its when your sleeping thats when growth hormone gets released and the body goes into full recovery mode. When your awake you have a billion different things going on inside you that takes away from the true recovery process and it takes the average person several hours after being asleep before the benifits really start kicking in.

I want to see anyone doing this to get the most out of it. I have alot of other things to spice this thing up and really make it shine but obviously I have to keep those for the people I work with but I wanted to put this out there as well. These are not real secrets but they are aspects that are the most important but most overlooked as well. When I talk about eating and sleeping I know I come across as pretty far fetched but Im telling you............it makes a difference you have to experience to believe.

Wheels
05-18-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm going to hold on my opinion as part of my opinion might be misrepresenting the original Author.

Thoughts ?

Strikerrjones
05-18-2009, 06:11 PM
It sounds almost exactly like a volume version of DC to me. Also, I would like a bit more proof that somebody needs 400g of protein a day other than, "because I say so."

Wheels
05-18-2009, 06:18 PM
It sounds almost exactly like a volume version of DC to me. Also, I would like a bit more proof that somebody needs 400g of protein a day other than, "because I say so."

Aye, it is certainly strength centric. I do see similarities with DC. However, the Author wishes to not be closely associated with DC. He feels there are some short comings in that style as opposed to his.

It seems like a solid progression routine. I might give it a try after dieting, just because there are some concepts in there that I have never tried. A lot of the guys on his board have had great success with it.

That is a fuck ton of protein to pound, lol.

Strikerrjones
05-18-2009, 06:20 PM
Aye, it is certainly strength centric. I do see similarities with DC. However, the Author wishes to not be closely associated with DC. He feels there are some short comings in that style as opposed to his.

It seems like a solid progression routine. I might give it a try after dieting, just because there are some concepts in there that I have never tried. A lot of the guys on his board have had great success with it.

That is a fuck ton of protein to pound, lol.

Hah, yeah it is. I'm trying to figure out how I could possibly fit that all in.

Wheels
05-18-2009, 06:23 PM
Hah, yeah it is. I'm trying to figure out how I could possibly fit that all in.

Fuck, it'd have to be like 50 grams per meal @ 8 meals a day, lol.

Strikerrjones
05-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Hey, could you post what he thinks DC's shortcomings are as opposed to his style?

Wheels
05-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Hey, could you post what he thinks DC's shortcomings are as opposed to his style?

I could PM him for ya.

Strikerrjones
05-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Cool, thanks.

bigtimektz
05-18-2009, 06:38 PM
I'm going to hold on my opinion as part of my opinion might be misrepresenting the original Author.

Thoughts ?

Who is the original author?

Wheels
05-18-2009, 06:43 PM
Who is the original author?

Goes by Bosshogg.

bigtimektz
05-18-2009, 06:46 PM
Goes by Bosshogg.

I saw that. Where did you find this at? Is this person a member here?

Wheels
05-18-2009, 06:49 PM
I saw that. Where did you find this at? Is this person a member here?

Nah, he's over at Thesourcecheck.com, one of the sponsors here.

Not sure, but you may have to become a paying member to the view the area with his posts. I'm a paying member and forget if it's part of the public board or not. I suppose I could just go there not logged in and find out ...

Yeah, have to be a paying member.

bigtimektz
05-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Nah, he's over at Thesourcecheck.com, one of the sponsors here.

Definitely an interesting approach to training.
No direct work for biceps, triceps, forearms, calves or hamstrings.

Wheels
05-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Definitely an interesting approach to training.
No direct work for biceps, triceps, forearms, calves or hamstrings.

Yeah, I actually messaged telling him I would probably still include calf work. As I only do calves once every 8 days, 2 exercises @ 1 work set per. He said unless you're competing he doesn't feel it's a good idea because it will cause in-roads into your recovery ability that aren't necessary.

I dunno, it would be difficult for me to stop training Calves.

Strikerrjones
05-18-2009, 06:57 PM
I could see that for biceps and triceps, but I don't think that calves really get worked that well other than by direct stimulation. My calves have never, ever been sore from squats. Also, it seems weird to not train hamstrings, although I guess they do help in pressing movements. I like the idea behind the whole thing for the same reason I like the idea of DC training: the gradual progression that gives concrete proof of the results.

bigtimektz
05-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Yeah, I actually messaged telling him I would probably still include calf work. As I only do calves once every 8 days, 2 exercises @ 1 work set per. He said unless you're competing he doesn't feel it's a good idea because it will cause in-roads into your recovery ability that aren't necessary.

I dunno, it would be difficult for me to stop training Calves.

I feel the same way. I do not think my calves would get enough stimulation from squats, deads and leg presses. I guess he could be right though. Are you going to be giving this program a shot? How do you currently train?

Wheels
05-18-2009, 07:04 PM
I feel the same way. I do not think my calves would get enough stimulation from squats, deads and leg presses. I guess he could be right though. Are you going to be giving this program a shot? How do you currently train?

I'm thinking about giving it a shot once I'm done dieting. It would kill me if I tried to do it now. I'm always open to new training styles. I usually end up taking concepts from certain routines and incorporating them into my own style. It is intriguing, his methodology. I'm interested to hear what he has to say about DC, will let you know when he PMs me back.

I normally train with a Trudel/Yates hybrid style.

I utilize an 8 day split. Chest/Arms gets hit twice during the split (4 days apart from each other), everything else once. Basically one off one on repeat. The first workout for arms/chest is Heavy, second is moderate. Everything is one work set to failure, Rest Paused/partials whatever.

bigtimektz
05-18-2009, 07:10 PM
I'm thinking about giving it a shot once I'm done dieting. It would kill me if I tried to do it now. I'm always open to new training styles. I usually end up taking concepts from certain routines and incorporating them into my own style. It is intriguing, his methodology. I'm interested to hear what he has to say about DC, will let you know when he PMs me back.

I normally train with a Trudel/Yates hybrid style.

I utilize an 8 day split. Chest/Arms gets hit twice during the split (4 days apart from each other), everything else once. Basically one off one on repeat. The first workout for arms/chest is Heavy, second is moderate. Everything is one work set to failure, Rest Paused/partials whatever.

I want to hear his thought on the "shortcomings" of DC.
Regardless of his wishes, this style does represent some similarities to DC training and it will be viewed in that manner.
I think any program that focuses on progression can be beneficial to those that believe in it.

Wheels
05-18-2009, 07:12 PM
He got back with me. The protocol I posted above is a base template. The one he teaches and uses, utilizes even less volume and movements. Oh, he said he doesn't want to underscore a different protocol in reference to Dante. He said Dante's system is great and he feels Dante has done more for the sport than most. He'll be out of town for a few days but will get back with me Friday to discuss the discrepancies between the two methodologies (DC/his).

bigtimektz
05-18-2009, 07:17 PM
He got back with me. The protocol I posted above is a base template. The one he teaches and uses, utilizes even less volume and movements. Oh, he said he doesn't want to underscore a different protocol in reference to Dante. He said Dante's system is great and he feels Dante has done more for the sport than most. He'll be out of town for a few days but will get back with me Friday to discuss the discrepancies between the two methodologies (DC/his).

Fair enough. Keep us posted on this.

Wheels
05-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Fair enough. Keep us posted on this.

Fasho