PDA

View Full Version : Missing the "good old days"

esplendido
05-19-2009, 04:03 PM
I ate lunch at the local Mongolian BBQ joint, where I can pile chicken to the ceiling on my plate for one price and get it grilled to perfection, when I ran into my gym owner. Rick (imagine, 2 Ricks saying "hi Rick") was pounding down egg foo young with a friend and I sauntered over to chat. Rick has had a variation of his gym since 1984, the year we met. He was nicknamed "Junkyard" because he totalled 2 Corvettes a year apart. His first gym was named "Junkyard's Gym". It was an appropriate name for a real ironman gym. 70% of his clients were bber's, PL's or ex and current football players. The atmosphere was charged with sweaty men, hollering as they lifted heavy weight. Shirts came off to check out the pump, talk was always centered on the next show, how much weight/strength was gained on what protocol (the "gym" internet), and about eating and sleeping. It was very much like the Gold's in Tulsa I belonged to before moving to Lawrence. It was quaint (smallish) and well equiped for the man or woman looking to put on raw muscle. There were no towels and cleaner to wipe the equipment down after use. You just laid in the last man's sweat, hoping that some of the shit he was taking would absorb into your skin. If you didn't holler as you pounded 500lbs on squats, the weight wasn't heavy enough. Shouts of encouragement traveled across the gym from others watching you grind out a max set or rep.We competed against each other in shows. That didn't matter. In the gym, we were brothers. No one covered up to hide progress. No cell phones. Rick hated answering the phone when it interupted his workout or might interupt someone else's. No one was shy in the locker room. Everyone knew your "status" and didn't care. The gals were just as intense as the guys, and there were the more than occasional nude hot tub soaks (although I never got to participate).I miss those days. Rick caters to the clients that pay the bills now. That would be the cardio crowd....never changing bodies, always hours of cardio. His gym(s) have now taken on the corporate look and he hates it. But one must do what one must to survive.It'll never be good like it was again. Too bad. So many will miss what it was really like to be a bber.

GENESIS
05-19-2009, 04:19 PM
so how old are you?

tell rick he is a sell out

AdolfOliverBush
05-19-2009, 04:33 PM
so how old are you?

tell rick he is a sell out

Comedy!! "tell rick he's a sell out"

GENESIS
05-19-2009, 04:36 PM
its true

His gym(s) have now taken on the corporate look and he hates it.

if he let it get like that, then he is a sell out

BEAST MODE
05-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Love the description Rick! I want to own a gym like the one you described, and used to have a nice little setup in the basement when I lived at home, but the only people who came over were my buddies. I don't think there are enough people out there concentrated in one area to make a gym like that flourish anymore. Because of the cardio bunnies and never-changing folks, gyms are pretty much forced to sell out anymore. Sucks!

esplendido
05-19-2009, 04:50 PM
its true

if he let it get like that, then he is a sell out

His last name.....it's a pun.

I'm 52.

sassy69
05-19-2009, 04:54 PM
My gym is a reasonably nice, clean Gold's, nothing hardcore about it, but not too pansy either. The weights only go to 100, which sucks. But there is some hammer strength & a squat cage and rack. They replaced one of the racks w/ this 3-D smith thing called a MaxRack - I kinda like it but only because I've used it as a "rehab rack" for my bum foot & shoulder last year. There are a handful of meatheads, lots of young guys, some women, so there's a bit of the meat market thing. Nothing great, but its got some ambiance. I belong to another Powerhouse that gave me a mini orgasm when I first joined because they've got all the old stuff, but zero ambiance. And on hot days w/ no A/C, its a recipe for death. But its the ambiance that kills it for me. I'm not even sure how the place stays open. I don't go there much anymore.

I recently located "the old hardcore place" just north of me on the highway that everyone has been telling me about since I moved to the Bay Area. I'm going to check it out some time this week or this weekend .... I hear its "old school".. I'm drooling at the thought....

Here's what's really sad. Not only do I miss the old school gyms and lots of sweaty guys grunting (hmmmmmm.... ;) ) but I even miss the Zubaz pants & do-rags because it was all part of the whole package.

esplendido
05-19-2009, 04:58 PM
My gym is a reasonably nice, clean Gold's, nothing hardcore about it, but not too pansy either. The weights only go to 100, which sucks. But there is some hammer strength & a squat cage and rack. They replaced one of the racks w/ this 3-D smith thing called a MaxRack - I kinda like it but only because I've used it as a "rehab rack" for my bum foot & shoulder last year. There are a handful of meatheads, lots of young guys, some women, so there's a bit of the meat market thing. Nothing great, but its got some ambiance. I belong to another Powerhouse that gave me a mini orgasm when I first joined because they've got all the old stuff, but zero ambiance. And on hot days w/ no A/C, its a recipe for death. But its the ambiance that kills it for me. I'm not even sure how the place stays open. I don't go there much anymore.

I recently located "the old hardcore place" just north of me on the highway that everyone has been telling me about since I moved to the Bay Area. I'm going to check it out some time this week or this weekend .... I hear its "old school".. I'm drooling at the thought....

Here's what's really sad. Not only do I miss the old school gyms and lots of sweaty guys grunting (hmmmmmm.... ;) ) but I even miss the Zubaz pants & do-rags because it was all part of the whole package.

Ah, the parachute pants in multi-colors and patterns. I miss those, too! I owned about a dozen pair and repped a line called SubZero. After those, the thigh length lycra shorts....like bike pants...all in wild colors and patterns. You had to have thighes to wear them!

sassy69
05-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Ah, the parachute pants in multi-colors and patterns. I miss those, too! I owned about a dozen pair and repped a line called SubZero. After those, the thigh length lycra shorts....like bike pants...all in wild colors and patterns. You had to have thighes to wear them!

Neon was the name of the game!

Don't forget the Otomix hightops, wifebeaters & fanny packs.

Rocco1943
05-19-2009, 09:20 PM
It kind of reminds me of the first gym I ever went to. I was either 16 or 17 at the time and was pretty intimidated to join. I had to drive all the way across town to get there. ALL the weights were made by the owner, as well as all the equipment. From the benches to squat racks to hack machines. The "hack machine" had no rollers just a pipe that slid over another pipe and used grease to smooth it out. The calf machine had 2 huge plates of about 75lbs each he had cut out of some plate. The skylight always leaked in the rain and there were always buckets to catch the water. He even made all of the dumbbells and the rack as well. 2 shower stalls, 1 toilet no urinal. His name was Dick Fudge. He went on to turn out many Mr. Tampa's, Mr Florida's, and Mr Universe, Jim Haislop. His 2nd wife Georgia, was trained by him and she appeared in 3 different Ms. Olympia's. When you first signed up with him for 3 months to see if you like it, he went through each exercise and showed you the proper technique and kept an eye on you forever. I have remained good friends with him to this day and consider him the best influence I ever had in bodybuilding.

sassy69
05-20-2009, 01:17 AM
It kind of reminds me of the first gym I ever went to. I was either 16 or 17 at the time and was pretty intimidated to join. I had to drive all the way across town to get there. ALL the weights were made by the owner, as well as all the equipment. From the benches to squat racks to hack machines. The "hack machine" had no rollers just a pipe that slid over another pipe and used grease to smooth it out. The calf machine had 2 huge plates of about 75lbs each he had cut out of some plate. The skylight always leaked in the rain and there were always buckets to catch the water. He even made all of the dumbbells and the rack as well. 2 shower stalls, 1 toilet no urinal. His name was Dick Fudge. He went on to turn out many Mr. Tampa's, Mr Florida's, and Mr Universe, Jim Haislop. His 2nd wife Georgia, was trained by him and she appeared in 3 different Ms. Olympia's. When you first signed up with him for 3 months to see if you like it, he went through each exercise and showed you the proper technique and kept an eye on you forever. I have remained good friends with him to this day and consider him the best influence I ever had in bodybuilding.

That's awesome! I think my first show in Tampa in 2000 was judged by him. How could you forget an introduction to Judge Dick Fudge!

sassy69
05-20-2009, 01:19 AM
Neon was the name of the game!

Don't forget the Otomix hightops, wifebeaters & fanny packs.

We have one hold-over from the 'good ol' days' at my gym, and he showed up today. Splashy poof pants, wife beater & yes, the Otomix hightops. He did get the mullet cut down to just normal length tho.

esplendido
05-20-2009, 01:23 AM
We have one hold-over from the 'good ol' days' at my gym, and he showed up today. Splashy poof pants, wife beater & yes, the Otomix hightops. He did get the mullet cut down to just normal length tho.

A poser or the real deal? How old?

Rocco1943
05-20-2009, 10:57 AM
That's awesome! I think my first show in Tampa in 2000 was judged by him. How could you forget an introduction to Judge Dick Fudge!

Yeah Sassy, Dick Fudge is one of a kind. He used to grouch like hell at you if he thought you were slacking up. Really is a great guy, but to some hard to understand.

mman47
05-28-2009, 05:43 PM
When I was in my early 20's (47 now), there was a great gym that all of the cops and firemen went to. I have fond memories (I still have the otomix hightops guess it's time to toss them but they seem to help my ankles on squats) I remember the only cardio piece they had was a bike in the front which had the fan on the front. I remember looking at pictures of Rachel Mclish with less than pure thoughts and getting those last few sets out. Problem was at that time, I didnt know how to cut weight and it was all hidden underneath. You folks have sure stirred up the weightlifting memories though!

Bryan Hildebrand
05-28-2009, 11:17 PM
I cutmy teeth at the age of 15 at Spa Fitness. the owner (another Rick) never charged me. just asked me to make sure weights and DB's got put back. I always waited for the older guys to finish. never asking when they might be done, just knowing I needed to wait. until, age 16. one day I unracked 5 plates a side from the wall mounted squat rails, walked back and hit a half dozen or so box squats. I was invited to train with the older guys and did. we trained heavy and hard. learned a ton. we would order Shakeys pizza from next door, go downstairs to the hot tub and dry sauna and eat. had plenty of beers with them too. apparently I earned them.

cook
06-03-2009, 04:52 PM
The first gym I walked into was in Arlington Tx. and the first thing I saw was the great powerlifter Doug Young doing deadlifts with 700 lbs,for reps.I didn`t know who he was or what he was doing but I was pretty sure I was seeing something special.

sassy69
06-03-2009, 05:29 PM
A poser or the real deal? How old?

He's the real thing. Competitor from back in the day. Now he just lifts. He's mid-40s. I was thrown yesterday tho, he asked if I could help his wife with some diet suggestions. I didn't really want to get into it because its everything I can do to get in & out of the gym, including my lifting, my posing and my cardio, and still get home before 10 pm.

Rocco1943
06-03-2009, 06:28 PM
One thing about the "old days" that I don't miss is the protein powders or supplements that were available then. I remember the only one I could find was by Bob Hoffman. He had several out and the highest protein content was I think 97%. It was a fish protein and tasted so bad I could only get it down by taking a spoonful and placing it at the very back of my throat and washing it down with anything liquid that had some kind of flavor to help with the taste. All of his other proteins you could get down by mixing them with water or milk but they didn't mix well and always lumped up. When I'm glad things have changed there., lol

sassy69
06-03-2009, 07:53 PM
One thing about the "old days" that I don't miss is the protein powders or supplements that were available then. I remember the only one I could find was by Bob Hoffman. He had several out and the highest protein content was I think 97%. It was a fish protein and tasted so bad I could only get it down by taking a spoonful and placing it at the very back of my throat and washing it down with anything liquid that had some kind of flavor to help with the taste. All of his other proteins you could get down by mixing them with water or milk but they didn't mix well and always lumped up. When I'm glad things have changed there., lol

I can't go as far back as 1975 on supplements, but things I recall include TwinLab Amino Fuel and MetRx protein bars. Amino Fuel was just thick, disgusting goo. The MetRx bars I used to take out on the SCUBA charters I worked when I lived in FL. I'd leave them in my dive bag all summer long, in the 90 degree sun. They were indestructable. I wouldn't say they were "good" but they weren't particularly bad. Other favorites were 'making your own' like with yohimbine powder + DMSO for a topical fat burner. Everyone knew you were using it, and you could even taste the DMSO. BLECH.

Rocco1943
06-03-2009, 08:50 PM
If I remember correctly, I was using the Hoffman Fish Protein around 1969 or 70. They came in cardboard containers similar to oatmeal boxes, smaller tho with metal tops and bottoms. I got out of lifting for several years, just off and on. So, when the better tasting ones came out I wasn't aware of them. I wish I had kept some of the old containers tho. I do remember people using DMSO for arthritis and a lot of controversy about the safety of it. Not sure what years tho.