PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with The Texas Stoneman -- ASC Pro Strongman Travis Ortmayer

robert da strongman
05-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Welcome Travis Ortmayer...

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/system/galleries/ironmind/travis-atlas-fort_lg.jpg

Some questions I sent to Travis....

Here are some questions I sent....

When and where did you start your strongman career? When did you turn pro?
Why did you choose strongman?
Greatest accomplishment in the sport? in your life?
Whats next for you?
Training....feel free to answer what you do.
Worst event? and your fix for it?
Saw you and Marshal at the Europa...is it easier to have rivals or
friends in the sport?

Travis' answers....

Hey Rob, sorry to take so long to get back to you... I have been around the world the last 5 weeks competing. I would love to do a Q and A thread for you guys.

I will start with your questions:
I started working out with weights when I was 12, but it wasn't until I was almost 21 that found Strongman. My training partner, Marshall White, always wanted to be one of those guys you see on TV on WSM so he found an amateur competition here in TX. I was going to go and support him but the night before I decided "what the Hell, I'll give it a shot." It was the TX state championships and I ended up taking 5th! I had so much fun that I dreamed of those events every night for 6 months straight and I never thought about doing anything else.
I turned pro at the 2004 NAS National Championships. I won 4 of the 5 events, and took 3rd on the 5th, which is a feat that hasn't been matched at Nationals before or since.

2. I didn't choose Strongman, Strongman chose me! I never thought I could be as strong as those guys I saw on TV until that first contest that I just happened to fall into. Then I knew it was what my life was meant for. Being good at what you do means you can inspire others to find their passion and take it to their utmost potential and there's nothing more satisfying than that.

3. My best accomplishments in Strongman are: 4 time finalist at a World Championships (1st in heat and 5th in final last year at WSM 2008), 3rd at the Arnold 2009, 5th at Fortissimus 2008, I have had a total of 7 WR's in Atlas Stones and currently hold 4 (heaviest ever, heaviest set ever-26 sec, stone for height, and light set record on the IFSA ring of stones-19 sec.), I also have/had 3 WR's on overhead events- 1 still current. I compete more than any 2 other Americans combined. Not sure if this is a record but I'm proud of it...

4. The next competition for me is Viking Power in Norway then on to Fortissimus at the end of June.

5. I usually train 3-4 days per week with some light cardio days thrown in.

6. When I started Strongman my worst event was the yoke. To fix this problem I made the yoke my favorite event! Now I crush this event. I am now doing the same with log clean and press...

7. I think we are all friends but that's what makes the rivalries fun. No other sport has the comraderie of Strongman. If we were true rivals and didn't get along then no one would make it in this sport; it is just too demanding on the body, mind, and nervous system.

Thanks Rob.
-Travis

tjoe
05-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Rob - nice job getting some info from Travis!

Travis - Thanks for contributing to RX bro! and nice work at Mohegan!! Congrats!

My question: When you are competing with Derek (Poundcake as you say), what is the atmosphere like between events? Do you guys chat it up or are you too focused on the task at hand for idle chit chat?

robert da strongman
05-19-2009, 04:26 PM
from what i saw at the europa Travis is intense, but has fun.

GENESIS
05-19-2009, 04:27 PM
how much did that rock in the picture weigh travis

HITstrongman
05-19-2009, 09:41 PM
Travis, have you ever sustained any serious injuries either in training or in competition?

Ryan Bracewell
05-20-2009, 06:34 PM
For those interested in seeing youtube of travis, here are links to Travis's, Lucy(his wife), The unit, and a friend of theirs youtubes. Some is contest footage and some is training.

Travis's wife account(all of his newer contest footage) (http://www.youtube.com/user/CaleTesoro)

Travis's Youtube account(no longer used) (http://www.youtube.com/user/Texasstoneman)

Training Footage (http://www.youtube.com/user/wirt14)

The Unit(training and some contest) (http://www.youtube.com/user/TheUnitTX)

and here is a cool video that Garrick Daft made for travis.

YouTube - Travis Ortmayer - Tribute from Julia of PLSE

robert da strongman
05-20-2009, 10:29 PM
thanks for the links Ryan!

wish there was a vid ot Travis doing the wet stones at iilinois strogest man when he was an am.

Texas Stoneman
05-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Rob - nice job getting some info from Travis!

Travis - Thanks for contributing to RX bro! and nice work at Mohegan!! Congrats!

My question: When you are competing with Derek (Poundcake as you say), what is the atmosphere like between events? Do you guys chat it up or are you too focused on the task at hand for idle chit chat?
Derek and I are pretty good about being focused when we need to be but for the rest of the time we have fun. He's a good guy so we get along pretty well. There's always a little banter between the two of us too.

Texas Stoneman
05-25-2009, 01:06 PM
how much did that rock in the picture weigh travis
That was the "420" stone at Madison Square Garden that actually weighs 475 lbs!

Travis, have you ever sustained any serious injuries either in training or in competition?
Where should I start...? I got hit in the back of the head at Nationals 2006 by a car squat apparatus. The bar rolled and then pushed me underneath and hit me right at the base of the skull. I couldn't see very well for the next event (medley) so I had the judge yell at me as I would cross the line with each implement. I still took second on this event and then won all 4 events the next day. Last May I tore half of my upper pec off the bone doing incline DB bench... stupid mistake. I competed 13 days later in the Holland Champions League and got 3rd. Then 3 weeks after that I won MSG. My arm and shoulder hurt like Hell the whole time but it held up.

thanks for the links Ryan!

wish there was a vid ot Travis doing the wet stones at iilinois strogest man when he was an am. Man, that is going way back!

Texas Stoneman
05-25-2009, 01:20 PM
Forgot to mention:
I also really hurt my back once. It took me 3 days before I could get out of bed and even then I made it about as far as the couch. I guess what happened was that I pinched some of the major nerves in my low back from compressing my spine when I caught an axle clean wrong on my shoulders. This all stemmed from the severe low back strain I got from the Arnold just 3 weeks earlier. You hear a lot about guys having herniated disks, etc., in Strongman but I always considered those guys to be lucky. What they have in common is that they actually got to see what happened to them with an MRI! I don't think there is anything scarier than NOT knowing what happened in a lower back injury. I'll never know what it was that caused all that pain; it could have been just the nerves, a disk, several disks... who knows.

robert da strongman
05-25-2009, 08:25 PM
thanks Travis!

yeah that was way back...impressed everyone that day.

STRENGTH-TRAINING
06-06-2009, 05:24 PM
hi travis
how much protein do you aim to have everyday. to gain maximum amount of strength

Thad
06-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Congrats on your win.

Texas Stoneman
06-12-2009, 01:09 AM
hi travis
how much protein do you aim to have everyday. to gain maximum amount of strength
I try to eat a minimum of 350 grams per day but I try for 400+. Lately I have been travelling so much that I feel lucky to get 200 grams a day. Eating in airports all the time is tough and when I get home it's no better. I own a personal training gym so when I go away I have to make up those training sessions that my clients miss which leaves me with little time to do anything but train them. Anyone who has done personal training can tell you how demanding the clients are for your time, and rightfully so, so it's not like you can sit down and eat while they train.

Congrats on your win.
Thanks! Norway is a beautiful place and I just feel honored to have been lucky enough to be a part of Svend Karlsen's contest.

robert da strongman
06-12-2009, 12:01 PM
was going to ask how you manage to travel and get in any training?

lilfella
06-20-2009, 03:45 PM
How is the training going?

Texas Stoneman
07-08-2009, 12:51 AM
was going to ask how you manage to travel and get in any training?
Well at first I was training light on Tuesday and Wednesday and heavy on Saturday and Sunday so I could get used to competing on the weekend then coming home and training during the week, but after the third contest I did I just kind of ran out of time during the week. I would get home on Monday, wash my clothes, make up for missed training sessions with my clients, pack my clean clothes, and leave for the airport again on Thursday or Friday. You basically just have to go hard in the contests and use it as a training day. Believe me, it isn't easy but it's totally worth it!!

How is the training going?
It wasn't going great since I really didn't have a lot of time to properly prepare for Fortissimus but I guess I came out ok... Now I am just going easy until my back stops hurting :rolleyes: I am going to start with more cario based training (high reps with lighter weights) then after Nationals I'll start hitting the heavier weights to prepare for WSM.

lilfella
07-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Great Job at the Fortissimus! Your intensity is insane!

robert da strongman
07-08-2009, 03:13 PM
rumors circling that WSM is back in west virginia. would you rather stay close or go to south africa?

HITstrongman
07-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Hey Travis, I suggested to Palumbo that you should be a guest on HMR. You should PM him if you are down, I think it would be a great interview.

Texas Stoneman
07-16-2009, 12:49 PM
rumors circling that WSM is back in west virginia. would you rather stay close or go to south africa?
I'd love to go to South Africa but for something like World's I'd rather stay close to home. It's just easier on the body.

Hey Travis, I suggested to Palumbo that you should be a guest on HMR. You should PM him if you are down, I think it would be a great interview.
Just replied to your PM.

lilfella
07-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Do you gain or lose weight for different contests for endurance or max strength? If so is this through diet and/or training?

Texas Stoneman
07-31-2009, 09:30 PM
Do you gain or lose weight for different contests for endurance or max strength? If so is this through diet and/or training?
That is the theory... I guess my diet has never been strict enough to really do what I want it to do. Instead, I really just focus on my cardio level depending on the type of show. For example, I don't worry too much about cardio for the Arnold but I really try to bring it up for the shows later in the year like Fortissimus and WSM. I am now working with a nutritionist and hopefully I will see more results from proper eating.
-I guess I have always known what the right way to eat is but now I am being held accountable for eating right and this might be just what it takes to get things right.

robert da strongman
07-31-2009, 09:38 PM
Do you get a heads up for the events at worlds?

Texas Stoneman
08-03-2009, 03:19 AM
I haven't as of yet... some guys are closer to the source it seems. It doesn't really matter all that much anyway though. The events are going to be similar to what they have had in the past with something new probably thrown in. If you are ready for Strongman then you will be ready for WSM!

robert da strongman
08-03-2009, 04:03 PM
I haven't as of yet... some guys are closer to the source it seems. It doesn't really matter all that much anyway though. The events are going to be similar to what they have had in the past with something new probably thrown in. If you are ready for Strongman then you will be ready for WSM!

truth!

hey i forwarded pm's to Dave. hope to hear ya on the radio soon.

Thad
08-03-2009, 07:37 PM
That stone load to 72 inches at ASM is one of the most impressive things I've seen in strongman. :bowdown:

And by the way, how's that 600 pound stone coming along?

bluto
08-18-2009, 06:05 PM
I enjoyed the interview you had with Dave and John on HMR. You are definitely a warrior and a beast of a man (size--stature). I know you will do well in WSM this year. Props to you.

Have you ever considered looking into professional wrestling? Man, that is were it is at. It is very lucrative, and your size and strongman notoreity could catapult you into that world.

Texas Stoneman
08-23-2009, 11:53 PM
That stone load to 72 inches at ASM is one of the most impressive things I've seen in strongman. :bowdown:

And by the way, how's that 600 pound stone coming along?
Thank you sir. I haven't been trying it lately since it's just too hot right now for tacky to be of any help. I'll start prepping for it again after WSM.

I enjoyed the interview you had with Dave and John on HMR. You are definitely a warrior and a beast of a man (size--stature). I know you will do well in WSM this year. Props to you.

Have you ever considered looking into professional wrestling? Man, that is were it is at. It is very lucrative, and your size and strongman notoreity could catapult you into that world.
I have given some thought to it but I know thier schedule is to be away from home for about 3/4's of the year. With a baby on the way I just don't want to be gone that much. I have also thought about football some. I did some sprints the other day and I ran 110' (10 short of a 40 yard time...just going line to line and measured later) in 4.59 seconds. I guess that might work out to a 4.7 or so 40 time. These times were unofficial; it was just my dad timing a few of us.

STRENGTH-TRAINING
09-05-2009, 01:12 PM
i weigh a lot less than you, at around 220lbs and have over 300-350g of protein per day, i have three to four 45g shakes and 3 50g meals, am i over doing it on the protein.

powerbeast
10-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Awesome interview on HMR. You're an inspiration.

Bigbull1
07-29-2010, 07:57 AM
Hey travis could you fill me in on where you purchase most of your gear? Mainly like the shorts yourself and others usually wear? Thank you and good luck!

Ryan Bracewell
07-29-2010, 04:36 PM
Hey travis could you fill me in on where you purchase most of your gear? Mainly like the shorts yourself and others usually wear? Thank you and good luck!

What do you mean by shorts? like his outer shorts?

Bigbull1
08-03-2010, 09:52 AM
the outer shorts usually blue that look like they are inzer or some other brand.

Ryan Bracewell
08-03-2010, 11:22 AM
the outer shorts usually blue that look like they are inzer or some other brand.

Those are Rehband neoprene shorts. They are hard to find in the blue because they have discontinued that specific pair, but they do make some black ones that are built the same way.

robert da strongman
10-14-2010, 07:13 AM
thought i would share this....

http://www.marunde-muscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19617

cook
10-14-2010, 07:44 AM
Damn...the Cook family would like to send our best wishes out to the Ortmayers

Texas Stoneman
11-01-2010, 11:30 PM
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has written to my wife and I!
We truly appreciate it!
Sorry for being away for so long but we were kind of busy... Buying a house, prep for WSM, having my heart broken in the finals..., and then the terrible accident that dumbass drunk driver caused that nearly killed my wife. It's been a rough month or so for us!

I'm back and ready to help with questions for whoever has any!

Again, thanks for the support everyone! It is truly appreciated.

Travis Ortmayer

robert da strongman
11-02-2010, 07:24 AM
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has written to my wife and I!
We truly appreciate it!
Sorry for being away for so long but we were kind of busy... Buying a house, prep for WSM, having my heart broken in the finals..., and then the terrible accident that dumbass drunk driver caused that nearly killed my wife. It's been a rough month or so for us!

I'm back and ready to help with questions for whoever has any!

Again, thanks for the support everyone! It is truly appreciated.

Travis Ortmayer

good to have you back!

tjoe
11-02-2010, 08:30 AM
How about a quick general update?
next show?
hows training?
hows the diet looking?
Things like that.

Texas Stoneman
12-04-2010, 08:32 AM
Hey guys! Sure I can do a quick update....

Not a whole lot has gone on since WSM; haha. I really just sat on my butt (well that and went to work every day...then sat on my ass some more) trying to heal my broken ankle for about a month afterwards.
I started training about a month ago and was getting back into the routine then I got sick as hell this past weekend. Oh well, shit happens. I guess this is the universe's way of telling me to ease up and just enjoy some light training for a while. :no:

I hate to admit it also that I have not been on my diet for the past 2 months either... Sorry Nathan! I can definitely tell a difference in my general well being from day to day too!

Oh well, all this slacking is done. I'm getting back into training mode and I'll be ready for the Arnold!!

But until then, I am going to have to "wing it" for this World Record tire flip I am doing next weekend in Japan and the Champions League Finals the following weekend over in Ukraine... hahahaha.

Good luck to everyone coming out to the Republic of Texas' Strongest Man today!!!

ZepLike
12-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Just watched the 2010 WSM on ESPN yesterday, that sucks about the ankle bro. You had a lot of heart to go out and do that next event where you were carrying like 800 lbs or something, could see you trying to push through the pain with every step you took on that ankle. You think the ankle will be 100 percent for arnold's?

Rich Gregg
12-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Travis Nicholle and I really enjoyed meeting you at the RoTSM. You are a class act guy. Nicholle is looking forward to coming back to TX to compete in Metro Flex show in Feb. Thanks for taking the time to give her all the pointers for some of the events.

AussieMuscle
01-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Hey Travis, How is the family going after your tough few months? How is the ankle coming in recovery.

Wish you and the family a fantastic New Year! Go get em at the Arnold and WSM 2011..

Texas Stoneman
03-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Hello everyone, I just wanted to show my grattitude for the support I have received here on this forum. I want to thank all those who tuned in on both my radio interviews with Ryan Bracewell and Nathan Payton and those who watched the competition interview held during the Arnold Strongman Classic. If you payed attention to my competition interviews you could see how I was trying to desperately keep my spirits up by saying I expected my absolute best results on each event. I was basically just trying to convince myself, more than anyone else, that I could do what I know I could do on my best days even though my training, and everything else leading up to the competition, was absolute crap! My ankle was probably 75% at best and giving me hell the whole time I was there but I just had to fight through the misery with a smile on my face...
People asked me if I was happy with my 4th place finishing when they took into account that I had been 3rd the previous 2 years. Well, yes and no. I am never happy with my placing unless there's a big "1st" on the trophy, but considering that just 6 weeks out I wasn't sure I was even going to be able to compete because of my ankle I really couldn't be upset with 4th. I mean it was so bad that at this "6 week" deciding point I told myself that I needed a good training/testing week, and if I didn't have one then there was no way I would be ready for the Arnold and I'd withdraw. Well, my first workout that week was with the Axle on a Tuesday and I had trouble hitting 280 lbs... not a great start to this all too critical week!! I went to the chiropractor the next day then came back into the gym with a better attitude on Thursday and nailed 400. This just goes to show how much of the game is mental!! I decided then and there that I was going to go ahead with full force and I actually had a couple good training days.
I was pretty proud that I still managed to take 4th especially when I was only ~3.5 points out of 2nd and 1.5 points out of 3rd (behind Zydrunas). I also made a mistake on 4 of the events that cost me a point or two each... talk about frustrating! They were just little, stupid mistakes too!!!!! But, my ankle survived the heaviest competition on Earth, and I guess so did I. And all this at a mere bodyweight of 280 lbs.... so I can't be too upset with the result.
Again, thanks for the support you guys have shown me. It is truly appreciated!

Travis Ortmayer
www.Texas-Stoneman.com (http://www.Texas-Stoneman.com)

robert da strongman
03-29-2011, 10:28 AM
great showing no matter where you placed Travis!

what is up next for you?

Bryan Hildebrand
03-29-2011, 11:30 AM
great finally meeting you travis. and yes, while your disappointment was clear in your voice and demeanor, your attitude and confidence were even more apparent. you had a marvelous weekend regardless the placing. when are you competing next?

darknight012
01-14-2012, 12:01 AM
Good post. I appreciate it! Thanks for guiding.