PDA

View Full Version : Chest training

Wheels
05-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Title says it all.

My chest is my most lagging body part, though I'm bringing it up slowly. Still having issues with stimulating the right pec optimally and my lats wanting to do too much of the work in pressing movements.

So let's hear it. Every tip, technique, training protocol, anything and everything you've ever heard of or used to build a good chest, lagging or not.

Diabetic Muscle
05-19-2009, 09:14 PM
My chiro had be doing face pulls(grab a rope attachment and pull to your nose. focus on pulling the scapula back. the end looks like a dbl bi pose.) before doing any pressing. I kept my back nice and locked when pressing. I have the problem of my front delts taking over so just making sure my chest is up and shoulders are back has helped me the most. All just thoughts feel free to disregard.

ironwarrior22
05-19-2009, 09:41 PM
chest has always been my most lagging body part as well. To be honest since switching to DC I have seen marked improvements in my overall chest mass as well as tricep and shoulders for that matter. Before I was introduced I had gotten the best out of my chest by really focusing on flexing my pecks throughout each movement, and if I couldn't I would drop the weight until I could flex hard.

Wheels
05-19-2009, 11:05 PM
Good advice, keep it coming.

Strikerrjones
05-19-2009, 11:13 PM
Have you tried cable flyes where the cables are set at ground level? I don't do them right now, but they really helped me learn to focus on contracting my chest.

Here's a video of it: http://www.probodybuilding.com/video/female-chest-exercises/cable-fly-low-high.php

I bring my arms toward each other a little lower so my hands touch just before my arms are parallel to the ground, then I bring both arms up a little higher together.

Youngguns
05-19-2009, 11:23 PM
Truth- Barbell and Dumbell presses.

That's it, now if that's not working, you need to use less weight, or more weight.

Wheels
05-19-2009, 11:56 PM
Have you tried cable flyes where the cables are set at ground level? I don't do them right now, but they really helped me learn to focus on contracting my chest.

Here's a video of it: http://www.probodybuilding.com/video/female-chest-exercises/cable-fly-low-high.php

I bring my arms toward each other a little lower so my hands touch just before my arms are parallel to the ground, then I bring both arms up a little higher together.

Yar, I have tried those; they do work great for isolating the chest. Actually, that last bit you said I haven't tried. I think that would really help to isolate it a ton. I seem to have an easy time focusing and contracting my chest on isolation movements. It's the compound movements I suck balls at.

Wheels
05-20-2009, 12:00 AM
Truth- Barbell and Dumbell presses.

That's it, now if that's not working, you need to use less weight, or more weight.

I do feel DBs better than I do the Barbell. I was actually thinking of doing Barbell presses for my next workout because I haven't done them in months. I think a lot of is an imbalance, I feel the stimulation perfectly fine in my left pec but not so much in my right and that's what's so aggravating.

I've never thought about adding weight, that might actually force my chest into the position it needs to be rather than me trying to actively think about it.

bigtimektz
05-20-2009, 12:01 AM
For pressing movements I always focus on having my ass down and chest/sternum high.

mr intensity
05-20-2009, 01:24 AM
hey
i had a weak chest... so this time i did only three chest exercises...only one work set
started with decline bench press i wud do 2 warm up sets..... with the work set i wud reach failure at around 8th rep then i wud go for 3 rest pauses(1 -2 reps) then 1 or 2 only negatives...followed by a triple drop set...similarly i did it for incline bench presses...then for the flat flys i wud just do a triple drop set....
i wud keep my scapulas retracted... while doing all the three movements.... i was oncycle for 16 weeks so it really helped me in my recovery...
but i gained 3 inches on my chest.... 43 to 46...
thank you

Jodie
05-20-2009, 01:31 AM
I tend to stick to the basics. DB Flat and Incline presses, DB Flat and Incline Flyes, BB presses, pec dec holding and squeezing in the middle, cable cross overs both low and high.

I know...I'm a girl, but chest is not a weak bodypart on me. :) I got more muscle than I do boobs.

kraken
05-20-2009, 01:44 AM
Some thing I read a long time ago was to pinch your shoulder blades together and push them down. It sets your chest up and takes pressure off the shoulders. I do it for all pressing, d-bell and even dips.

Diabetic Muscle
05-20-2009, 02:01 AM
Do you have any hammer strength pressing equipment? Or you could do it with dumbells but you couldn't go very heavy. Get in position with both dumbells then press one side at a time. Hardest thing would be to keep your balance but that way you could isolate each side while doing a compound movement.

Formula94
05-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Pull your scapulae down and in, chest up. Also try changing your grip...go from thumb wraped around the bar to thumb on same side as fingers.

Wheels
05-20-2009, 01:25 PM
Thanks a ton all for the advice. Anything I haven't tried I will certainly incorporate into my upcoming routines.

I don't have Hammer Strength equipment. There's a gym an additional 15 minutes away from the one I workout at that has the line. I plan on getting a membership as soon as my current one runs out.

bigtimektz
05-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks a ton all for the advice. Anything I haven't tried I will certainly incorporate into my upcoming routines.

I don't have Hammer Strength equipment. There's a gym an additional 15 minutes away from the one I workout at that has the line. I plan on getting a membership as soon as my current one runs out.

That could be beneficial as well. The Hammer Strength Chest Machines are quality equipment.

Wheels
05-20-2009, 04:02 PM
That could be beneficial as well. The Hammer Strength Chest Machines are quality equipment.

Yah, I can't wait to give em a try.

bigtimektz
05-20-2009, 06:34 PM
Yah, I can't wait to give em a try.

I use them quite a bit in my routine. I do not have a training partner so they really com in handy. They're great for slow negatives and rest-pause.

MichaelWayne
05-20-2009, 07:09 PM
First advice would be call Goodrum. Heard his PT business is off the hook good.

If that doesn't help, basic basic basic. All three major angles, bar and DB. Season with flyes and pullovers. Start light, rotate the workouts, don't go overboard on sets thinking you'll gain ground you've missed. Get a partner to really help with those last 2 or 3 forced reps.

The Big Sexy
05-20-2009, 07:13 PM
I don't know if this has been said - but you need to focus on your chest. (I'll explain)

On a pressing motion, many people use their shoulders by keeping their back flat to a bench they are pressing off of. This is the reason for the natural "curve" of your spine... I typically have my shoulder blades and upper back resting on the bench, my mid lower back is arched, and my glutes are planted (for flat bench).

This will pin your shoulders down and back and allow for maximum flexion of the pectoral.

The same can be done on pressing machines where you are sitting up right. If your back is against the bench (flat) and you press outward, you will only be incorporating part of your chest and using the anterior deltoid for the remainder of the motion.

By Arching your back a bit, and puffing your chest up during the pressing motion, you will be using your chest for the exercise - with your secondary movers, being just that... secondary.

Wheels
05-20-2009, 07:20 PM
I use them quite a bit in my routine. I do not have a training partner so they really com in handy. They're great for slow negatives and rest-pause.

Yep, which is exactly how I train, emphasis on the negative and a couple rest pause sets for each exercise.

Yeah, I've always benched (Well, when I first learned of proper form) with my shoulders down and back, exaggerate the arch in my lower back, feet and ass firmly planted, chest high.

It's a hit or miss sometimes. I'll feel it great one workout and shitty the next. I've got a good bit of stuff to try, so here's hoping.

Tits McGee, of course, will be my next option.

Thanks to all for the time/effort put into replies.

Canuck_Muscle
05-21-2009, 01:17 AM
Yeah I was gonna mention about the hammer strength equipment. The incline plate loaded machine is the best. I have never seen such growth as when I started using that machine 2 years ago. I also stick with the bench and incline bench but I can really focus on peak contractions with the hammer strength machine. It is an incredible piece of equipment. Hopefully u get to use it and see what I mean. One other thing I would like to mention is that u should try a FST 7 approach to end off your workout to get your chest fully pumped. Just go on the pec deck machine and rep out 12 reps at the heaviest weight u can get with that and do that for 7 sets with rest time being no longer than 30 seconds. Your chest will be fried.

Wheels
05-21-2009, 02:49 PM
Yeah I was gonna mention about the hammer strength equipment. The incline plate loaded machine is the best. I have never seen such growth as when I started using that machine 2 years ago. I also stick with the bench and incline bench but I can really focus on peak contractions with the hammer strength machine. It is an incredible piece of equipment. Hopefully u get to use it and see what I mean. One other thing I would like to mention is that u should try a FST 7 approach to end off your workout to get your chest fully pumped. Just go on the pec deck machine and rep out 12 reps at the heaviest weight u can get with that and do that for 7 sets with rest time being no longer than 30 seconds. Your chest will be fried.

Yeah, good call. I was doing 7s mixed with my HIT protocol a couple months back but had to cut them out because of the keto. Felt really great in my chest. I'll probably incorporate them back in once I start lean bulking.

That's great, I've only heard good things about the Hammer Strength line. I'll be trying them out in about 30-40 days. Can't wait !

"Rodz"
05-26-2009, 02:17 AM
Some thing I read a long time ago was to pinch your shoulder blades together and push them down. It sets your chest up and takes pressure off the shoulders. I do it for all pressing, d-bell and even dips.

I really focused on that last time and it helped, thanks man!!!

"Rodz"
05-26-2009, 02:18 AM
Pull your scapulae down and in, chest up. Also try changing your grip...go from thumb wraped around the bar to thumb on same side as fingers.

Big help as well, thanks

buster12
05-26-2009, 02:22 AM
rest pause did wonders for my chest. That and hammer strength movements. I never do dumbell presses. just fly's. I pretty much just do one compund press, and the rest are isolation type movements. I feel it helps to put that heavy preassure on the muscle durring the pressing movement, and then focusing the rest of the workout on squeezing the pecs and fillin them up as much as possible.

buster12
05-26-2009, 02:23 AM
also, an extreme stretch really helps at the end.