PDA

View Full Version : oats and egg whites

Voland
05-20-2009, 02:22 PM
how many of you have erased those off your diet??

i've removed egg whites forever. And oats are reduced to 3 o 4 times a week.
Breakfast suks big time. :popcorn:

eattrainsleep
05-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Just ate 10 egg whites and 1/2 cup of oats!

Why erase them from the diet?

Voland
05-20-2009, 02:28 PM
Just ate 10 egg whites and 1/2 cup of oats!

Why erase them from the diet?

beacuse they are disgusting. Specially egg whites. And oats when cooked.
I can only handle them in some yogurt.

Roots
05-20-2009, 02:28 PM
How are you cooking the whites? I stopped being able to eat them hardboiled long ago, but an egg white omelette suits me fine nowadays.

Dan Rek
05-20-2009, 02:32 PM
I got tired of cooking them in general, I just "Rocky" 'em, it's the easiest and fastest way.

and I'm trying the Keto-Carb thing so no oats anyway.

Voland
05-20-2009, 02:32 PM
How are you cooking the whites? I stopped being able to eat them hardboiled long ago, but an egg white omelette suits me fine nowadays.

I do omelette too. I can stomach it if there are at least 2 yolks and inside a sandwich ore mixed whit some rice and stuff. But Now i'm cutting so my carbs have been seriously reduced so no rice or bread for me, dammit.

Voland
05-20-2009, 02:35 PM
I got tired of cooking them in general, I just "Rocky" 'em, it's the easiest and fastest way.

Carl Lanore will love to know that hehe. :D

Roots
05-20-2009, 02:36 PM
I don't know what type of diet you are following, but I usually put low sodium smoked turkey in my omlettes and it makes a big difference. The turkey overrides the taste of the eggs.

Frosty
05-20-2009, 02:36 PM
Egg whites are the lowest micronutrient containing dietary protein there is.

Your average rolled or instant oats are suitable as horse feed.

RpF
05-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Nine boiled eggs, removed 4-5 yokes, choke'm up, a bit of raw olive oil, salt 'n' maybe pepper...eat them for a purpose-(protein), and eventually the dislike you have will dull! Have you only just took to eating them or have you been eating them for ages and are finally just sick of them?

HITstrongman
05-20-2009, 02:38 PM
You can buy pasturized liquid egg whites that you can just add to your protein shakes. This is a great option if you hate the taste of eggs since the liquid whites have almost all of the taste removed when they are heat pasturized, plus they are alot safer since they are fully cooked and you cant get salmonella from them.

Roots
05-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Egg whites are the lowest micronutrient containing dietary protein there is.

Your average rolled or instant oats are suitable as horse feed.

What's a power breakfast for you then?

Frosty
05-20-2009, 02:44 PM
What's a power breakfast for you then?

Liver and whole eggs. Or steak and eggs for the pussies that don't eat liver.

Roots
05-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Liver and whole eggs. Or steak and eggs for the pussies that don't eat liver.

I love liver, how do you cook it? I've only ever eaten it fried and I don't see that as being suitable for this discussion. Thanks in advance.

Frosty
05-20-2009, 02:47 PM
I just cook it in a pan with spices. Medium to medium rare so it's not chalky.

I can only recommend eating organic beef liver, not normal store-bought liver or commercial chicken livers. And of course omega-3 eggs. Egg yolks not fully cooked, either. Sunny side up.

HITstrongman
05-20-2009, 04:04 PM
I would not recommend eating too many egg yolks on a regular basis. They have too much fat and WAY too much cholesterol, the whites have plenty of protein and nutrients without all the bad stuff.

MDur8
05-20-2009, 05:24 PM
I would not recommend eating too many egg yolks on a regular basis. They have too much fat and WAY too much cholesterol, the whites have plenty of protein and nutrients without all the bad stuff.

Hmmm :confused:, because fat is very bad for you and dietary cholesterol from eggs affect serum cholesterol levels huh? ;)

Myth
05-20-2009, 09:14 PM
just blend the oats and whites, fry it like a pancake, and pour ff butter, cinnamon, and sf syrup on top

Frosty
05-20-2009, 09:29 PM

I don't think the fat and cholesterol part is justified based on science.

Whites do NOT have plenty of nutrients. Look up the nutrient profile of egg whites. Then try to find another dietary protein that has less micronutrients....and good luck.

Fat and cholesterol in yolks are not "bad stuff." The cholesterol is fine and even arguable good for a weight lifter, and the egg yolks contain a number of many beneficial substances such as phospholipids which are great for building good cell membranes. In fact I feel raw egg yolks from properly fed chickens are actually a good supplement to a diet.

Frosty
05-20-2009, 09:30 PM
just blend the oats and whites, fry it like a pancake, and pour ff butter, cinnamon, and sf syrup on top

Yeah I'll be ready for a nap right after that "meal" lol.

Mr. Hyde
05-21-2009, 02:54 PM

Im gonna have to try this. My latest thing PWO is egg whites, vanilla protein powder, cinn, splenda whipped up in the blender and then i use it to make french toast.

HITstrongman
05-21-2009, 05:53 PM
I don't think the fat and cholesterol part is justified based on science.

Whites do NOT have plenty of nutrients. Look up the nutrient profile of egg whites. Then try to find another dietary protein that has less micronutrients....and good luck.

Fat and cholesterol in yolks are not "bad stuff." The cholesterol is fine and even arguable good for a weight lifter, and the egg yolks contain a number of many beneficial substances such as phospholipids which are great for building good cell membranes. In fact I feel raw egg yolks from properly fed chickens are actually a good supplement to a diet.

I was referring to just the protein aspect of the whites, but I was not aware how much of the nutrients are actually in the yolks. I found a good article pretty much stating what you said here: http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html

Pretty interesting, and goes against everything I ever heard about yolks. Now I feel like a dumbass. :emb:
I am a bit afraid to try chugging them raw, but I will give it a try. Hope I can keep them down. :puke:

Frosty
05-21-2009, 10:15 PM
HITstrongman....no need to feel like a dumbass. We're all constantly learning.

The more research I do, the more I feel micronutrient content of the bodybuilding diet is almost ignored, even though there is a body of research that shows so many benefits to all the different micronutrients for the bodybuilder. Like zinc for example...probably every bodybuilder is deficient in it assuming he trains hard. Low zinc impairs protein digestion, protein synthesis, increases inflammation, increases estrogen through aromatization of testosterone, low testosterone...just to name a few things. But what does your average bodybuilder do? Supplement with zinc properly to have good levels? Hell no...he goes and buys the latest fad supplement out there. Good luck with those test boosting supplements when you have abysmal zinc status that is needed in order for those test boosters to really be effective :)

HITstrongman
05-22-2009, 10:48 AM
HITstrongman....no need to feel like a dumbass. We're all constantly learning.

The more research I do, the more I feel micronutrient content of the bodybuilding diet is almost ignored, even though there is a body of research that shows so many benefits to all the different micronutrients for the bodybuilder. Like zinc for example...probably every bodybuilder is deficient in it assuming he trains hard. Low zinc impairs protein digestion, protein synthesis, increases inflammation, increases estrogen through aromatization of testosterone, low testosterone...just to name a few things. But what does your average bodybuilder do? Supplement with zinc properly to have good levels? Hell no...he goes and buys the latest fad supplement out there. Good luck with those test boosting supplements when you have abysmal zinc status that is needed in order for those test boosters to really be effective :)

Is there any reading material or websites that you would recommend to learn more about the subject? Also, I was wondering if you think it is a good idea to add a couple raw eggs to my protein shakes so they are easier to take down? Thanks alot!

Frosty
05-22-2009, 11:39 AM
If your diet allows you can add some eggs in. I don't like raw egg whites for a couple reasons, so I actually do the opposite of most people....I toss the white! I then add a yolk to a protein shake which makes it taste pretty good :)

Here are some sites you might find interesting:

http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm

http://www.westonaprice.org/splash_2.htm

www.mercola.com also has some good stuff.

Although be skeptical with information. I don't necessarily agree with everything on these sites. You have to keep an open yet skeptical mind...read up on things, check references, see what you think.

brolic1
06-12-2009, 04:55 AM
Dont 'Rockey' your egg whites its a waste. Raw/pasteurized egg whites are only 50% bioavailable to you where as cooked are 95%