PDA

View Full Version : Bison Meat

Viking
02-09-2009, 03:50 PM
It has replaced beef for me, what do you all think of this delicious meat?

robert da strongman
02-09-2009, 03:59 PM
i can get some at the store.
a little pricey but great.
i mix some with my ground beef.

Viking
02-09-2009, 04:04 PM
It is pricey, but it's so delicious. I just hate cows...

robert da strongman
02-09-2009, 04:04 PM
cows can be tasty....

Shadow
02-09-2009, 04:14 PM
It's a pretty decent switch from beef from time to time. The price keeps me from eating it all the time.

Tuffgirl410
02-09-2009, 04:39 PM
As long as you cook it fast, its good... otherwise its like a hockey puck! The chopped meat is probably better... its almost sweeter than beef

Wheels
02-09-2009, 05:33 PM
I've always wanted to try it. I've seen some wholesale places around the net and have been tempted to throw down some cash for a quarter or half but usually the commute is too fucking far away >.<.

Nutritional comparison

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/DarkVolrath/Bison-1.jpg

EDIT: Copy text = No go.

Hengman
02-09-2009, 06:19 PM
This is worth it.

However it is REALLY expensive for just even a pound of it.

Still some of my favorite foods though.

willldabeast
02-09-2009, 11:29 PM
My favorite meat. I would eat it every day if I could afford it

Peaceful28
02-09-2009, 11:38 PM
Bison (often referred to as Buffalo ) meat is similar to beef and can be substituted in any beef recipe. Bison does not taste “gamey,” in fact it tastes a lot like beef, but tends to have a fuller, sweeter flavor. Remember that bison has less fat and must be cooked properly in order to remain moist and tender. Since bison lacks the insulator of fat it will dry out very quickly, so when cooking this meat be sure to follow a few basic tips:

When cooking steaks, avoid using a broiler. This tends to cook the meat at a very high and fast heat, which will make your steak taste tough and dry. We suggest that you use a grill, grill pan or sauté pan. Bison meat should be cooked any where from rare to medium. Cook your 1 inch steaks 4 to 5 minutes on each side, a little longer for thicker cut steaks. If you must have your steak well done, cook it at a very low temperature for a longer period of time. Lesser quality cuts should be marinated.

When cooking roasts, low and slow is best. For lesser quality roast, always cook with moist heat such as a beef stock. If you usually cook your roast at 325°F, turn you oven down to 275°F for bison. The meat should be done around the same time a beef roast would be, but to insure that it does not overcook, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. Cook to 145° for medium rare or no more than 155° for medium.

When cooking ground bison or bison patties, remember that it will cook much faster than ground beef. Because it contains little fat, there will be little to no shrinkage and there will be no need to drain excess grease from the pan. Do not overcook the bison patties, the inside should always be a little pink.
Use tongs to turn your meat instead of a fork that will pierce the meat and allow the flavorful juices to escape.

Let your bison rest for 5 minutes after it’s done cooking. If you cut into it right away the juices will run out and the meat will not be as moist.
Like all meats, bison should not be refrozen after it has thawed out. This makes the meat taste mushy.

Peaceful28
02-09-2009, 11:39 PM
Rub a 6 ounce bison steak with a combination of garlic salt, cooking oil, and lemon pepper. Grill steak 4 to 6 inches above medium hot coals (325°) for the following times, depending on thickness:

1" Rare 5 to 6 minutes, Medium 8 to 10 minutes
1˝ " Rare 8 to 10 minutes, Medium 10 to 12 minutes
2" Rare 10 to 12 minutes, Medium 14 to 18 minutes

Peaceful28
02-09-2009, 11:40 PM
2 to 3lb. Top Round bison roast
2 cups red wine
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups beef broth
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 to 6 medium red-skinned potatoes, peeled and quartered
4 medium carrots, cut in chunks
2 ribs celery, cut in chunks
3 to 4 small turnips, peeled and halved

Directions:

Put bison roast in a large food storage bag with wine and minced garlic. Refrigerate and marinate for 3 to 6 hours. Heat oven to 325°. Place the bison and 1 cup of the marinating liquid in a large oven safe Dutch oven with the 2 cups of beef broth, salt, and pepper. Cover and roast for 1 hour at 325°. Reduce heat to 300° and add vegetables. Roast for about 2 to 2 1/2 hours longer, or until the roast is tender.

Serves 6 to 8.

Peaceful28
02-09-2009, 11:41 PM
1 tbsp. paprika
2 tsp. kosher salt or sea salt, or 1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
1/2 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 3- to 3-1/2 pound boneless bison sirloin tip roast
Roasted vegetables (optional)

Directions: In a small bowl combine paprika, salt, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, black pepper, onion powder and cayenne pepper. Stir in oil until well combined. Set aside. Trim fat from roast. Spread oil mixture over surface of meat. Place meat on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Insert an oven-going meat thermometer into center of meat. Roast in a 375 degrees F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F. Roast 60 to 65 minutes more or until meat thermometer registers 140 F. Cover roast tightly with foil and let stand in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. The temperature of the meat after standing should be 145 degrees F (medium rare). Thinly slice meat across the grain to serve. Serve with roasted vegetables, if desired. makes 8 servings.

Viking
02-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Thanks Peaceful!! I don't get fancy with the flavorings.

I just throw mine on the foreman for about a minute, just brown on the outside and dark red in the middle. It slides down the throat hole easier.

Peaceful28
02-09-2009, 11:43 PM
1 flank steak about 1 ˝ lbs.
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic clove, chopped
1 teaspoon Italian parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon rosemary, chopped
1/2 cup cabernet sauvignon wine
salt
fresh ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
Directions:

Mix all ingredients together and marinate steak for 1 hour. Heat grill to medium-high heat and grill steaks for 5-6 minutes per side. Take off heat and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing against the grain into thin strips.

Peaceful28
02-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Thanks Peaceful!! I don't get fancy with the flavorings.

I just throw mine on the foreman for about a minute, just brown on the outside and dark red in the middle. It slides down the throat hole easier.

lol men! :p

You are welcome, anytime. :)

dvsness
02-10-2009, 11:46 AM
I love bison steaks!

Viking
02-10-2009, 03:03 PM
I see Tony Little is selling bison through some shopping channel.

robert da strongman
02-10-2009, 05:51 PM
1 flank steak about 1 ˝ lbs.
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic clove, chopped
1 teaspoon Italian parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon rosemary, chopped
1/2 cup cabernet sauvignon wine
salt
fresh ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
Directions:

Mix all ingredients together and marinate steak for 1 hour. Heat grill to medium-high heat and grill steaks for 5-6 minutes per side. Take off heat and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing against the grain into thin strips.

that comes in handy..i have some in the freezer

ejjack
02-12-2009, 10:55 AM
2 to 3lb. Top Round bison roast
2 cups red wine
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups beef broth
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 to 6 medium red-skinned potatoes, peeled and quartered
4 medium carrots, cut in chunks
2 ribs celery, cut in chunks
3 to 4 small turnips, peeled and halved

Directions:

Put bison roast in a large food storage bag with wine and minced garlic. Refrigerate and marinate for 3 to 6 hours. Heat oven to 325°. Place the bison and 1 cup of the marinating liquid in a large oven safe Dutch oven with the 2 cups of beef broth, salt, and pepper. Cover and roast for 1 hour at 325°. Reduce heat to 300° and add vegetables. Roast for about 2 to 2 1/2 hours longer, or until the roast is tender.

Serves 6 to 8.

Sounds yummy!
But where can I find a bison roast. I've only been luck enough to get the burgers and the steaks.

The Celt
02-13-2009, 09:27 PM
The Bison farm here is getting sold, so the store is closed and meat ony being cut by special order. I used to love the unsalted jerky to snack on, same with deer meat as well..

bigdaddyd
02-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Where are you folks getting this? I can get it at a farmers market during the summer but I cannot find it local during the winter and I love the stuff. Any suggestions on reputable sites email me?

250by55
02-15-2009, 12:52 PM
I live where there is a local bison ranch and have access
to wholesale prices. I eat bison as a beef substitute in various
cuts-london broil(way more tender than beef),NY strip, flank, sirloin,
and ground. Tenderloin is super but pricey even wholesale. I like taste
better than beef.

musclegoddess65
02-15-2009, 10:14 PM
I live where there is a local bison ranch and have access
to wholesale prices. I eat bison as a beef substitute in various
cuts-london broil(way more tender than beef),NY strip, flank, sirloin,
and ground. Tenderloin is super but pricey even wholesale. I like taste
better than beef.

wow your damn lucky! I love bison and to have access to it like this would be very nice....

Viking
02-15-2009, 10:31 PM
Online site:

www.grasslandbeef.com (http://www.grasslandbeef.com)

http://www.jhbuffalomeat.com/

http://www.thebuffaloguys.com/

http://www.backyardbison.com/

http://www.buffalogal.com/

http://www.bisonfarm.com/

http://www.kcbuffalo.com/