PDA

View Full Version : Postworkout Carbs on CKD?

sonicwaste
05-22-2009, 03:25 AM
What's the word on post workout carbs on a CKD diet. I am losing mad fat right now, but my muscles are flat as shit.

Who is still staying in keto after eating postworkout carbs?

Frosty
05-22-2009, 11:35 AM
You can if your workouts are sufficient volume of the right rep ranges, AND you're lean enough....meaning under 10% (if you have a six pack).

sonicwaste
05-22-2009, 12:03 PM
Cool. I may give it a try and see what happens. It's a shame. I just love the CKD because I burn fat in overdrive... But just makes me look bad muscle wise and negatively affects my vascularity.

Does anyone know if r-ala can cause false positives on keto strips? It's very weird on my last carb up day I took mega doses of r-ala and sesapure and according to the keto sticks I still had small amounts of ketones. Next day without r-ala and sesamin, I was right back to moderate ketones.

Frosty
05-22-2009, 12:07 PM
There's no need to be worrying about ketones. You don't have to be in ketosis to be efficiently burning fat. If done right, your body is burning fat even during a carb load with all those carbs and insulin.

sonicwaste
05-22-2009, 12:27 PM
Ah decisions, decisions for me. If it wasn't so close to beach season, I think I cold afford to take a few more chances on my diet. I've also got some photo/music video shoots coming up, so this compounds my anxiety.

I just don't know what to do.

BTW, I am 5'10" 191lbs 10% bodyfat (as of last time I checked 10 days ago)

Frosty
05-22-2009, 12:29 PM
Lay out your entire training program and that will be helpful in determining what to do.

sonicwaste
05-23-2009, 01:25 AM
I am on a modified version of Omega's training pamphlet.

Workout:
High intensity workouts. Little time between sets. High to Low reps in the 8-20 range. Workouts 5 times per week. 2 days per week are cardio only.

Cardio is low intensity or HIT.
5 days per week, I do 2-a-day cardio in the morning and at night. 30 minutes in the morning 30 minutes at night. My cardio only days are done on empty stomach. My workout/cardio days are done after a meal. On these days I do 15-20 minutes pre workout, 15 minutes post workout. Then 30 minutes at night.

I am starting to think a TKD might be the way for me to go. However, this is the only keto diet that I have no experience with. I've always used MR.X's old school keto worksheet for my CKD which has a great breakdown of the macro ratios.

I'd be curious to know what are good macro ratios for a TKD.

Frosty
05-23-2009, 01:30 AM
Just take Dave's diet and add in a PWO shake with some carbs based on volume.

Z=(0.5307+0.00165*x)*y

where,
z is carbs needed,
x is reps performed
y is lean body mass in kg

sonicwaste
05-23-2009, 01:39 AM
I'll definitely try this, I'll read up on Dave's diet, as I don't know too much about it. My wife made a costco run and bought me tons of fatty keto goodies, so I am going to keep on the CKD another week or so, so I don't waste all of that fatty food.

Soon as it's gone, I'll hit up Dave's diet and see what happens.

Should I still take r-ala with all my carb meals?

sonicwaste
05-23-2009, 01:39 AM
oh and on Dave's diet, are the carbs pre workout, postworkout, or both?

Frosty
05-23-2009, 01:41 AM
oh and on Dave's diet, are the carbs pre workout, postworkout, or both?

Dave's diet has no peri-workout carbs at all. That's why I said take Dave's Diet and just add in PWO carbs.

Yeah you can still use r-ALA with carb intake if you want.

sonicwaste
05-23-2009, 02:50 AM
Just take Dave's diet and add in a PWO shake with some carbs based on volume.

Z=(0.5307+0.00165*x)*y

where,
z is carbs needed,
x is reps performed
y is lean body mass in kg

I did this calculation and it seems really high. I got 202g carbs that I need post workout.

Frosty
05-23-2009, 11:29 AM
I did this calculation and it seems really high. I got 202g carbs that I need post workout.

You either got something totally wrong or you have incredibly ridiculous workouts.

Show me the numbers you input.

Gothic Muscle
05-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Hey Frosty, orite dude! If someone was suffering extreme lethargy on dave's diet, would you recommend a tkd approach or would you firstly reduce the refeed from every 7th day to 5/6? I'm really struggling with energy towards day 5/6, crashing pretty hard, atm I'm taking in what amounts to 13 x my bw in lbs and with plenty of fat so I don't think my cals are too low for a cutting cycle. In saying that, I have been cutting for a while, can this happen if one spends too much time on a cut, I did raise cals to maintenance 2 weeks ago for only a week to reset my metabolism so to say, maybe I just need to spend some time in a calorie surplus for a while?

Frosty
05-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Hey Frosty, orite dude! If someone was suffering extreme lethargy on dave's diet, would you recommend a tkd approach or would you firstly reduce the refeed from every 7th day to 5/6? I'm really struggling with energy towards day 5/6, crashing pretty hard, atm I'm taking in what amounts to 13 x my bw in lbs and with plenty of fat so I don't think my cals are too low for a cutting cycle. In saying that, I have been cutting for a while, can this happen if one spends too much time on a cut, I did raise cals to maintenance 2 weeks ago for only a week to reset my metabolism so to say, maybe I just need to spend some time in a calorie surplus for a while?

What bodyfat percentage are you right now? This will be the main factor in what I recommend.

Gothic Muscle
05-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Not been measured in a while but at a guess it prob around 12-13

Frosty
05-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Try doing the single meal once every 5th day.

Monitor your results and let us know how it works.

Gothic Muscle
05-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Try doing the single meal once every 5th day.

Monitor your results and let us know how it works.

Thanks mate, I figured this might be a better way to go, keeps carbs low through the week before loading them which keeps me in compliance with a keto type setup!! Yup, I'll let you know how this pans out!!

sonicwaste
05-24-2009, 02:46 AM
Lean Body mass is 171
Reps performed is 405

Maybe my math is off, but I calculated 202 carbs with that.

Frosty
05-24-2009, 03:08 AM
Lean Body mass is 171
Reps performed is 405

Maybe my math is off, but I calculated 202 carbs with that.

LBM is in kg dude. Redo the math :)

sonicwaste
05-24-2009, 03:29 AM
ah, thanks that makes much more sense.

Should I make the post workout carbs a combo between glucose and maybe some complex carbs?

Frosty
05-24-2009, 12:21 PM
sure you could do 50/50 glucose/maltodextrin. Although using more malto is fine if you react better to it.

Vitargo would be best if it's over 75g.

sonicwaste
05-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Do you think only powders? I have glucose and waxy maize powder.

But in the past I've liked mixing my whey isolate, glucose, mcc, and glutamine in a bowl of whole oats post workout.

I'm cool either way, but just curious about the oats.

Frosty
05-24-2009, 06:20 PM
oats will slow down the glycemic response of the carbs. Not good on low carb diets. I have no idea what 'mcc' means.

Use glucose/WMS post-workout in the amounts you figured out from the equation.

sonicwaste
05-24-2009, 11:12 PM
MCC is magnesium reacted creatine from AGX.

I'll stick to the glucose powder with a little bit of waxy maize.

SuperSaiyanPump
05-25-2009, 09:12 PM
I know john romano has waximaize post workout on a keto diet

sonicwaste
05-26-2009, 03:38 AM
What should my macro ratios look like on the palumbo diet? I've just seen the diet broken down for 200lbs man and 250+lbs man.

There has to be some variations on macros and calorie intake for different weights.

Does this look about right?:

Workout Days:
100g Fat - 900 Calories
90g Carbs - 350 Calories
250g Protien - 1000 Calories
Total Calories: 2250

Non Workout Days:
100g Fat - 900 Calories
20g Carbs - 80 calories
300g Protein - 1200 calories
Total Calories - 2180 calories

How does that look?