PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with Dr. Blau M.D., P.C.!

huge285
02-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Ask all your questions for the #1 Gynecomastia Surgeon in the World-- Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Modcai Blau!

Dr. Blau removed my gynecomastia as well as over 1000 other bodybuilders from around the world. He's without a doubt the #1 surgeon in that regard.

antonio
02-09-2009, 11:20 PM
A few years ago I suffered a shoulder injury (right shoulder).
Since then I have trouble squeezing my right pec and as a result the right pec is underdeveloped.
Recently I also noticed that I developed a case of gyno on the right pec (I haven't been on anything since 2005, so it's not AAS related)

I read on numerous occasions that you can't burn fat locally.
The lack of contraction (mind muscle connection) and thus development of my right pec in my opinion caused fat deposits in my right pec and/or at least attributed to the development of my gyno.

Would you say that there is a correlation between underdevelopment of a pec -> fat deposits -> developing gyno?

What do you recommend? Surgery or supplementing with I-3-C, Calcium D Glucarate, Idolplex with DIM, testanex cream, grapeseed extract?

Hengman
02-10-2009, 01:13 AM
Since then I have trouble squeezing my right pec and as a result the right pec is underdeveloped.
Recently I also noticed that I developed a case of gyno on the right pec (I haven't been on anything since 2005, so it's not AAS related)

The lack of contraction (mind muscle connection) and thus development of my right pec in my opinion caused fat deposits in my right pec and/or at least attributed to the development of my gyno.

Would you say that there is a correlation between underdevelopment of a pec -> fat deposits -> developing gyno?

What do you recommend? Surgery or supplementing with I-3-C, Calcium D Glucarate, Idolplex with DIM, testanex cream, grapeseed extract?
Cutting mode and some Yohimburn ES with AIFM.

That sounds like your case right there.

Diggy
02-10-2009, 02:24 AM
I ended up with gyno from 10 days of Cipro(antibiotic). Its been a few weeks now and its still sore and the lump is still there. Does this sort of thing reverse on its own or will I need to use something to get rid of it(drugs) or surgery?

If I jump up and down I feel discomfort

Rodzilla
02-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Dr. Blau,

is the all inclusive price still 6,600?

Dr Blau
02-10-2009, 03:32 PM

It is not possible to know exactly what caused your Gynecomastia and I do not want to speculate .I am not exactly an expert as far as the different supplements and I have little idea about their benefits . If you suffer from this condition and it bothers you it is best to email us your chest photos and have a telephone consultation . You can call us at 914-428-4700.

Dr Blau
02-10-2009, 04:47 PM
I ended up with gyno from 10 days of Cipro(antibiotic). Its been a few weeks now and its still sore and the lump is still there. Does this sort of thing reverse on its own or will I need to use something to get rid of it(drugs) or surgery?

It is too early to know if the Gynecomastia is permanent or will reverse itself. Be patient and you can contact me in a few months. The discomfort may also subside.
Dr Blau
www.cosmetic-md.com
www.gynecomastia-md.com
www.gynecomastiausa.com
www.breastimplantsny.com

914-428-4700

Dr Blau
02-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Dr. Blau,

is the all inclusive price still 6,600?

The all inclusive price changed about two years ago to 7600.

www.cosmetic-md.com
www.gynecomastia-md.com
www.gynecomastiausa.com
www.breastimplantsny.com

914-428-4700

Diggy
02-10-2009, 07:17 PM
It is too early to know if the Gynecomastia is permanent or will reverse itself. Be patient and you can contact me in a few months. The discomfort may also subside.
Dr Blau
www.cosmetic-md.com
www.gynecomastia-md.com
www.gynecomastiausa.com
www.breastimplantsny.com

914-428-4700

thanks doc

Kev
02-11-2009, 02:22 PM
This is probably a stupid question but here goes anyway: Can eating dairy products/drinking alot of milk contribute to getting gyno?

Hulk Legend
02-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Dr. Blau,

How long do you have to be off AAS before you can have the procedure done?

DECABEATZ
02-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Dr blau is there any way this can be covered by insurance ? If it was infected maby could that get it covered i will try anything it doesnt matter to get it covered. Thanks

Rodzilla
02-11-2009, 08:03 PM
Dr. Blau,

someone in another Dr. Blau thread had been off for 4 weeks, and was told that was adequate time.

Dr blau is there any way this can be covered by insurance ? If it was infected maby could that get it covered i will try anything it doesnt matter to get it covered. Thanks
purposely trying to get your gyno infected does not sound like a good idea to me. I'm pretty sure Dr. Blau said that HIS practice does not take insurance. Others might, but make sure it's not someone who is going to do a hack job.

From looking at other surgeons work, I would ONLY see Blau.

DrBlau
02-11-2009, 10:40 PM
This is probably a stupid question but here goes anyway: Can eating dairy products/drinking alot of milk contribute to getting gyno?

There is actually a study that shows that infants have a higher rate of gynecomastia that usually disappears by the end of the first year. Breast and bottle feedings are an important factor. There is also a long list of medications that can cause Gynecomastia in people that have a predisposition to this condition.

Rodzilla
02-12-2009, 03:52 PM
so does the all inclusive price include removal of the gland, and some liposuction if needed?

Dr Blau
02-12-2009, 05:28 PM
so does the all inclusive price include removal of the gland, and some liposuction if needed?

It includes the total package Excision ,lipo and follow up visits. Most importantly we have not had recurrences in the last 10 years.

BigJD69
02-12-2009, 05:48 PM
Dr. Blau do you still do Noses? Our ENT told my wife that her nose is broken as well as having a Deviated Septum. If so would Insurance cover this procedure?

db006
02-13-2009, 01:12 PM
will the real dr blau please stand up?

so which is it? does your practice accept insurance or not?

Mutant
02-16-2009, 02:20 AM
Why do some plastic surgeons only cut out part of the gynecomastia, leaving some behind? Wouldnt this allow the gynecomastia to return?

figure11
02-16-2009, 04:16 PM
My husband has gyno and is going to wait a little while to get it fixed. He says sometimes it is more sensitive and sometimes more predominant. What are triggers that can cause the sensitivity? Food, supplements?

DECABEATZ
02-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Dr blau u never answereed my question? Should i call u?

GameofInches
02-16-2009, 09:59 PM
Dr. Blau,

I know this may sound like an odd question, but is there an Endocrinologist or Urologist that you would recommend in the Westchester or Putnam county areas? Thank you!

chucksm00th
02-16-2009, 10:27 PM
Why do some plastic surgeons only cut out part of the gynecomastia, leaving some behind? Wouldnt this allow the gynecomastia to return?

They probably only do whats necessary to make the individual "look" normal, and they dont fully understand the procedure.

Dr. blau removes the gland and the tissue eliminating it from returing all together...If your going to take and gear or plan on continuing gear in the future witha gyno problem, get the whole gland removed otherwise your going back under the knife in the future

Mutant
02-17-2009, 04:24 PM
They probably only do whats necessary to make the individual "look" normal, and they dont fully understand the procedure.

Dr. blau removes the gland and the tissue eliminating it from returing all together...If your going to take and gear or plan on continuing gear in the future witha gyno problem, get the whole gland removed otherwise your going back under the knife in the future

I would not fully agree with your comment, which is why this is a question for the Doc.

Also, Dr. Blau does not remove the full gland, like you say. I have seen his videos, in which case he leaves a percentage of the glands behiind.

I have been to about 10 different sugeons. This is within a very short time period. I was at about 7%bf. Many of them had different was of performing the surgery, and some said the whole gland would be removed, and some said only a percentage would be removed.

Now, I would agree with your statment if we were talking about a variety of people, but we are talking about different answers to the same person...which doesnt make sense to me. How can some surgeons think that whole gland removal is the way to go, and other feel that only part of it should be removed?

r_wichman
02-17-2009, 06:51 PM
. How can some surgeons think that whole gland removal is the way to go, and other feel that only part of it should be removed?

Isn't that how life is. You can have 100 experts with a 100 different opinions.

Mutant
02-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Isn't that how life is. You can have 100 experts with a 100 different opinions.

Yeah, you would think that "experts" would have close to the same opinion. :)

V-Man
02-17-2009, 10:49 PM
If a person gets gyno from a medication, will it go away once the medication is stopped.

Due to my heart condition my doctor wants me to start on a small dose of spironolactone and I read a side effect is gyno. He said to try it and if I notice anything to let him know and he will try something else. He said there's been good studies that show this drug improves longevity.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,

B-DUB-
02-18-2009, 06:50 PM
my scar on the right side, kinda keyloid [however you spell it] its going down, but i need to lighten the scar, what can i apply to the scar??

redline777
02-20-2009, 10:03 AM
try arnica montana cream

SonOfPluto
02-21-2009, 05:10 AM
How common is it for a guy to have liposuction more then once in his life? I had my sides done back in 2001, the 'love handle' gene is extremely strong on my father's side of the family. Sadly, since then I've went through intense periods of binge eating in my life, causing the growth of more fat cells it appears. Most people would consider this growth to be very minor, but as a bodybuilder, I find it very noticeable when I assess the symetry of my physique with no clothes on.

DECABEATZ
02-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Dr blau must be on vacation

DrBlau
02-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Dr. Blau do you still do Noses? Our ENT told my wife that her nose is broken as well as having a Deviated Septum. If so would Insurance cover this procedure?
We do not except insurence.But we can submit a claim to the insurence company.

DrBlau
02-25-2009, 06:27 PM
If a person gets gyno from a medication, will it go away once the medication is stopped.

Due to my heart condition my doctor wants me to start on a small dose of spironolactone and I read a side effect is gyno. He said to try it and if I notice anything to let him know and he will try something else. He said there's been good studies that show this drug improves longevity.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Unfortunately there is not a correct answer. sometime Gynecomastia may go away once the medication is stopped, but not always.

DrBlau
02-25-2009, 06:29 PM
Dr. Blau,

2-3 weeks.

DrBlau
02-25-2009, 06:35 PM
My husband has gyno and is going to wait a little while to get it fixed. He says sometimes it is more sensitive and sometimes more predominant. What are triggers that can cause the sensitivity? Food, supplements?

There is not a known trigger as far as I know .It changes from one individual to another .

DrBlau
02-25-2009, 06:39 PM
my scar on the right side, kinda keyloid [however you spell it] its going down, but i need to lighten the scar, what can i apply to the scar??

You have to see a physician and discus with him "Hydroquinone" that may lighten the skin.

Jer
02-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Can gyno surgery be done while the patient is getting Remicade infusions?

Rodzilla
03-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Dr Blau,

I've seen that you are not supposed to tan or have UV exposure to the are for a few weeks post surgery. Would it be ok to tan if you had the nipples covered?

Also, if a patient has surgery with you..can they request that you do not put the photos on your website?

Dr Blau
03-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Can gyno surgery be done while the patient is getting Remicade infusions?

You will need medical ,surgical clearance from your physician.

Dr Blau
03-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Dr Blau,

I've seen that you are not supposed to tan or have UV exposure to the are for a few weeks post surgery. Would it be ok to tan if you had the nipples covered?

Also, if a patient has surgery with you..can they request that you do not put the photos on your website?

You can apply sun screen # 40 or higher 2 weeks post surgery.
Some patients do not give us permission to show their pictures .

Koubs
03-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Is it ok to continue taking a multi-vitamin all the way up to the time of surgery?

Hugo
03-13-2009, 12:07 AM
Hey Dr. Blau, I live in New Jersey and have been thinking about having surgery. My question is my case moderate and im worried about a Dr. taking to much fat and or gland out. I have seen some pics of Dr. taking to much out I guess its called a crater. Dr. Blau have you ever taken to much out, and if so how is that corrected in the event it happens? I know the bigger the breast the harder it is shape and sculp.

Dr Blau
03-20-2009, 01:34 PM
In Gynecomastia Surgery we are trying not to over-excise, but on the other hand it is important to remove as much gynecomastia tissue as possible. There may be depression from fat necrosis or other reasons that are not always controllable by the physician. In that case, reconstruction of the breasts can be achieved by adipose transfer, local flaps and more.

Justice
03-20-2009, 04:03 PM
Are there any supplements or medications that can reduce gyno?

Arthur Early
03-20-2009, 06:30 PM
dr. blau do you do hip to hip tummy tucks??? if so how much?? and is thermage a good alternative??

SpeedoGuido
03-31-2009, 12:20 AM
Dr. Blau,

I'm 52 years old (natural for life). As I age my pecs are getting flabbier... and when I get lean my skin doesn't snap back like it used to. If I have the surgery will you be able to tighten the skin in my chest area? If so, will it stay pretty tight for at least a few more years?
I still look pretty good for an old guy (the pic in my avatar is less than a year old) but these flabby pecs are really bothering me.

Dr Blau
04-08-2009, 09:32 AM
dr. blau do you do hip to hip tummy tucks??? if so how much?? and is thermage a good alternative??

We do perform tummy tucks. You need to send your pictures or come for consultation. Thermage is usually not one of the alternatives.

RLT09
04-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Dr. Blau, does a patient have to make seperate visits for the consultation and the actual procedure? This might be a problem coming from down south.

playmate
04-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Hello I have a question for you I am 36 years old 5'4" and have size 38 DDD breast I have been thiking of having them reduced I feel they would be covered by my insurance due to the symptoms I have which are indentions in my shoulders, neck and shoulder pain with some upper back pain, sometimes get very bad rashes underneath them, I want to start training and it gets very complicated to do some of the exercises due to the size and weight of them the last time I had them weighed they were around 20Lbs. each. My question to you is if I have them reduced is the scarring very prominent? Are there different ways it can be done to reduce the scarring I want to train to compete one day and scarring would be a problem with that I am afraid. Any help you can give would be so apprecitated. Thanks Bridget

DrBlau
06-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Are there any supplements or medications that can reduce gyno?
not that I know.

DrBlau
06-25-2009, 06:54 PM
Thermage a not a good alternative to tummy tuck. We do perform full TT.

DrBlau
06-25-2009, 07:02 PM
Dr. Blau,

I'm 52 years old (natural for life). As I age my pecs are getting flabbier... and when I get lean my skin doesn't snap back like it used to. If I have the surgery will you be able to tighten the skin in my chest area? If so, will it stay pretty tight for at least a few more years?
I still look pretty good for an old guy (the pic in my avatar is less than a year old) but these flabby pecs are really bothering me.
You should to be examined by a Plastic Surgeon who has experience with Gynecomastia surgery. I have performed surgery on people older then yourself and they were happy with their results.

DrBlau
06-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Dr. Blau, does a patient have to make seperate visits for the consultation and the actual procedure? This might be a problem coming from down south.
You can email photos that will be reviewed and then have a telephone consultation , Call MaryAnn at 914-428-4700 .

DrBlau
06-25-2009, 07:12 PM
Hello I have a question for you I am 36 years old 5'4" and have size 38 DDD breast I have been thiking of having them reduced I feel they would be covered by my insurance due to the symptoms I have which are indentions in my shoulders, neck and shoulder pain with some upper back pain, sometimes get very bad rashes underneath them, I want to start training and it gets very complicated to do some of the exercises due to the size and weight of them the last time I had them weighed they were around 20Lbs. each. My question to you is if I have them reduced is the scarring very prominent? Are there different ways it can be done to reduce the scarring I want to train to compete one day and scarring would be a problem with that I am afraid. Any help you can give would be so apprecitated. Thanks Bridget

Breast reduction Surgery will result in scars and nobody can predict how the scvars will look. For an general information you can go toour web site: www.cosmetic-md.com (http://www.cosmetic-md.com)

bishop
06-27-2009, 09:15 AM
Dr Blau

I am scheduled to have surgery on the 17th of July. Is their anything special I should be doing to prepare for the surgery? Also how long do I refrain from aas use post surgery?

Thank you

Knuckles
07-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Hey Dr. Blau,
I am extremely interested in having my gyno removed by you in the near future. I am saving money to pay cash for the procedure, so I feel I have a few more months until I am ready. I was overweight when I was younger and have gotten lean multiple times while still retaining fat deposits in my low back and abdominal area. I would be interested in a combined procedure of lipo/gyno removal, and was wondering how important it is to lean out in preparation for surgery. Are you able to take more fat and contour better if I would be a lower body fat percentage? I know the areas I am prone to quickly gain weight in(more fat cells there) and I would want to make sure that if I was dieted down a little that the cells would still be removed. When I diet hard the areas shrink considerably, but when I eat carbs the cells volumize quickly. My fear would be that I may look good dieted post-op, but would gain a few pounds to find the problem areas pop up again because I was contoured while leaner. Sorry to draw the question out, but I wasn't sure if the contouring is better at a stable weight or a depleted, leaner state. Thanks in advance Dr. Blau.

bigoso
07-04-2009, 05:09 PM
DR. Blau....do you have much experience doing gyno surgery on blacks. I ask because I have had surgery in the past and I have a tendency to develop keloids..this of course would be very unattractive to have on my chest post surgery. Is there an option that would help with this...such as a different entry point for the surgery?

Dr Blau
07-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Dr Blau

I am scheduled to have surgery on the 17th of July. Is their anything special I should be doing to prepare for the surgery? Also how long do I refrain from aas use post surgery?

Thank you

Those are questions that you should ask your Gynecomastia Surgeon.

Dr Blau
07-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Hey Dr. Blau,
I am extremely interested in having my gyno removed by you in the near future. I am saving money to pay cash for the procedure, so I feel I have a few more months until I am ready. I was overweight when I was younger and have gotten lean multiple times while still retaining fat deposits in my low back and abdominal area. I would be interested in a combined procedure of lipo/gyno removal, and was wondering how important it is to lean out in preparation for surgery. Are you able to take more fat and contour better if I would be a lower body fat percentage? I know the areas I am prone to quickly gain weight in(more fat cells there) and I would want to make sure that if I was dieted down a little that the cells would still be removed. When I diet hard the areas shrink considerably, but when I eat carbs the cells volumize quickly. My fear would be that I may look good dieted post-op, but would gain a few pounds to find the problem areas pop up again because I was contoured while leaner. Sorry to draw the question out, but I wasn't sure if the contouring is better at a stable weight or a depleted, leaner state. Thanks in advance Dr. Blau.

You can call our office for a phone consultaion with Dr Blau 914-428-4700. If you can email us Photos it can be very helpfull [email protected].

Dr Blau
07-09-2009, 12:34 PM
DR. Blau....do you have much experience doing gyno surgery on blacks. I ask because I have had surgery in the past and I have a tendency to develop keloids..this of course would be very unattractive to have on my chest post surgery. Is there an option that would help with this...such as a different entry point for the surgery?

I performed Gynecomastia on hundreds black people and so far no one had keloids.

Ninja Loco
07-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Dr. Blau, I live in Dallas. How would one go about cunsulting with you for a diagnosis on facial work?

Arthur Early
07-11-2009, 01:48 PM
would insurance cover a TT if i had a hernia that need to be repaired as well??

gohome
07-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Dr. Blau:

I had the gynecomastia surgery almost 2 years ago. While I look much improved from before, there is still some tissue that I notice under the nipple. I just saw my surgeon last week, who actually thinks I look perfect. He explained that he could not remove all of the tissue because it would result in a concaved (depression) look, and that ultimately the surgery is a sculpting a shaping exercise - not a full removal. Do you agree? I have heard Dave say that bodybuilders usually get all tissue removed. While I don't have a big bodybuilder chest, I definitely have some muscular pecs from years of training.

Anyway, do you remove all gland tissue for all patients or just oversized bodybuilders? Do you think second surgeries are too much risk for scarring?

babybull
07-20-2009, 10:46 AM
Quick question:

You say you have 100% success rate of non-returning gyno. If that is the case do you have any kind of gaurantee on that? I have had mine removed and it came right back so Im very curious!

DrBlau
08-17-2009, 07:43 PM
Dr. Blau, I live in Dallas. How would one go about cunsulting with you for a diagnosis on facial work?
Call MaryAnn at 914-428-4700 and ask for a telephonec onsultation with Dr Blau,

DrBlau
08-17-2009, 07:43 PM
would insurance cover a TT if i had a hernia that need to be repaired as well??
No.

DrBlau
08-17-2009, 07:51 PM
Dr. Blau:

I had the gynecomastia surgery almost 2 years ago. While I look much improved from before, there is still some tissue that I notice under the nipple. I just saw my surgeon last week, who actually thinks I look perfect. He explained that he could not remove all of the tissue because it would result in a concaved (depression) look, and that ultimately the surgery is a sculpting a shaping exercise - not a full removal. Do you agree? I have heard Dave say that bodybuilders usually get all tissue removed. While I don't have a big bodybuilder chest, I definitely have some muscular pecs from years of training.

Anyway, do you remove all gland tissue for all patients or just oversized bodybuilders? Do you think second surgeries are too much risk for scarring?
We remove as much as 95% of the glandular tissue. some people do need second surgery.

DrBlau
08-17-2009, 08:01 PM
Quick question:

You say you have 100% success rate of non-returning gyno. If that is the case do you have any kind of gaurantee on that? I have had mine removed and it came right back so Im very curious!
During the last ten years we did not have any reccurence of the glandular tissue. There will be no surgeon fee for correction of a reccurence.

Bolan
08-17-2009, 08:34 PM
During the last ten years we did not have any reccurence of the glandular tissue. There will be no surgeon fee for correction of a reccurence.

This man guarantee's his work!!!

babybull
08-18-2009, 09:49 AM

That is awesome...and the reason that you are the only gyno surgery option out there!:yep:

comebackid
08-29-2009, 11:49 PM
I agree I had surgery with Dr. Blau a while back and I would not even consider anyone else from all the research I did, he truly is the best at this. I will try to find my before and after pics to post up.

latman
10-15-2009, 07:21 PM
Along with the gyno surgery do you every do pec implants for men to correct the symmetry along the lower and outer pecs.

comebackid
11-03-2009, 01:00 AM
I had gynecomastia surgery with Dr. Blau about a year ago, he is the only Dr. that I would consider for this procedure, it was a very easy experience, if anyone has any questions about it I would be happy to answer them just pm me.

Powerdome
12-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Hi Dr Blau

Diff question here regaring hair transplant surgery. These days there are a lot of doctors offering hair transplants, do you have any that you could recommend?

FUT is the gold standard........FUSE is a newer one..........what would be your recommendations with hair transplants.

Larry C
12-25-2009, 08:35 PM
Hey doc, I've got a small cyst on my forehead that I'm going to get removed surgically in April. Do you know roughly how long it could take to heal?

DrBlau
01-04-2010, 05:52 PM
I do not perform pec implant Surgery

DrBlau
01-04-2010, 05:58 PM
Gynecomastia should be performed in patients that suffer from physical or psycological problems.

DrBlau
01-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Hey doc, I've got a small cyst on my forehead that I'm going to get removed surgically in April. Do you know roughly how long it could take to heal?
About one week.

TheForce
01-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Dr. Blau, I always wondered what you do to the gynecomastia gland after you had excised them out?

I know this may sound gross but does some of your patients keep them as some sort of momento to show people? Can they keep them?

coaltrain
03-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Dr. Blau,

Do you know any Dr.'s you could recommend for gyno surgery that practice in Washington?

bigw0rm71
03-28-2010, 10:54 AM
dr blau, have u ever performed areola donut pexy or do u not like this practice...if u do perform it, is the scarring always permanent or can it heal???

NYJetsFan80
12-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Greetings Dr.Blau and Happy Holidays!Where are you located at Dr.Blau and do you have to pay all at once for the total procedure lipo and gland removal or can I pay half and then monthly payments?I desparetly need to have this surgery done but I only have around 4 grand right now.

huge285
12-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Here's Dr Blau's latest Q&A......

QUESTION: Dr. Blau, I always wondered what you do to the gynecomastia gland after you've excised them out? I know this may sound gross but does some of your patients keep them as some sort of momento to show people? Can they keep them?

ANSWER: The specimen has to go to the lab. It's a New York State law that anything removed from the breast must be sent and checked for malignancy. While it's extremely unlikely that a malignancy would exist in a typical case of gynecomastia, the laws are clear that anything removed from the body must be analyzed for irregularities.

QUESTION: Dr. Blau, have you ever performed areola "donut pexy" or do you not like this practice...if you do perform it, is the scarring always permanent or can it heal?

ANSWER: With regard to gynecomastia surgery, I try to avoid "donut pexy" procedures because the scarring can be permanent and usually very pronounced. Whenever that much "cutting" is involved, the results may not look as natural as the patient would like. In the majority of cases, standard glandular removal will produce the desired results the patient is looking for.

QUESTION: I had my gynecomastia removed about a year ago and the doctor told me that he had to leave a small amount of tissue under the nipple or else the nipple would collapse. Now it seems as though my gyno has come back. I have noticeable lumps under my nipples. What should I do? Was the surgeon wrong to leave that small amount of tissue in?

ANSWER: Without knowing your exact history or examining you it's impossible for me to make an accurate assessment of the situation. I also have no knowledge of how much gynecomastia tissue was actually removed from your chest. I cannot speak for other physicians. In my practice we have not had a recurrence in the last twenty years. Especially with regard to bodybuilders, the key is to ensure that you remove all the glands the first time around so that a second surgery is never required.

QUESTION: How long should a typical gynecomastia surgery take. I went for a consult with a physician in New Jersey and he told me it takes 2 to 2.5 hours. He also told me I must be put out with general anesthesia. How long does your typical surgery take? Can it be done with a local or must I be asleep?

ANSWER: The typical gynecomastia surgery takes me between 60 and 90 minutes. I don't use general anesthesia in the majority of patients. In fact, I use local anesthesia in 50% of my patients. This greatly reduces the cost of requiring an anesthesiologist and it reduces the discomfort following surgery (from the side effects of the general anesthetic). In fact, most of my patients feel so "good" following surgery that I have to remind them to take it easy and not move around too much in days following surgery to prevent bleeding.

huge285
01-26-2011, 02:37 AM
QUESTION: Dr. Blau, what do you know about this new technique that supposedly uses a laser to melt the gynecomastia? It supposedly uses a very small incision and the recovery is supposed to be faster. Does it really get rid of all the glands?

DR BLAU: The laser technique for gynecomastia is not new. It has been around for 5 years. Unfortunately the results did not justify the technique because the recurrence rate is very high. It's nearly impossible to ensure that you get all the glands out and, for a bodybuilder, that's a nightmare scenario that I'm not willing to risk. My current excisional procedure has produced fantastic results in 100% of my patients.
http://www.rxmuscle.com/images/stories/DR%20BLAU/Derekphoto.jpg

QUESTION: Dr. Blau, is it possible for a man to have breast cancer in one of the glands that are removed? By having gynecomastia surgery, does that make you immune to potential future breast cancer?

DR BLAU: Breast Cancer in men is extremely rare. Out of the thousands of gynecomastia cases I've done, I have only seen 2 patients (both over the age of 50) that, upon removing the gynecomastia, turned out to be breast cancer. They were referred to and treated by an oncologist. Removal of the mammary glands in men may indeed reduce the chance of having this rare cancer.

QUESTION: How many days do I need to stay out of the gym after gynecomastia surgery? Can I start doing cardio (no upper body movements) after a few days?

DR BLAU: Cardio can be started about 2-3 weeks after surgery (depending on the severity of the case). Weight training can be resumed about 3-4 weeks after surgery (also depending on the recovery rate).

QUESTION: Do you insert temporary drains while doing gynecomastia surgery? How long do these drains need to be in place? Do they leave a scar?

DR BLAU: It's extremely rare that I insert drains following surgery. With the unique excisional procedure I use, there never seems to be a need for them. No drains also mean no additional scarring. On occasion when drains are warranted, scarring is usually very minimal (if at all).

QUESTION: Are there any medications that should be stopped prior to getting gynecomastia surgery?

DR BLAU: Prior to surgery for gynecomastia, my office send every patient an extensive list of prescription and over-the-counter medications and nutritional supplements that they should avoid 10-14 days prior to surgery. I formulated this all-inclusive list so that the surgery will be effortless and the healing/recovery process will be as speedy and efficient as possible.

Aspirin Medications to Avoid

4-Way Cold Tabs, 5-Aminosalicylic Acid, Acetilsalicylic Acid
Adprin-B products, Alka-Seltzer products, Amigesic
Anacin products, Anexsia w/Codeine, Argesic-SA
Arthra-G, Arthriten products, Arthritis Foundation products
Arthritis Pain Formula, Arthritis Strength BC Powder,Arthropan
ASA, Asacol Ascriptin products
Aspergum Asprimox products Axotal
Azdone Azulfidine products B-A-C
Backache Maximum Strength Relief Bayer Products BC Powder
Bismatrol products Buffered Aspirin Bufferin products
Buffetts 11 Buffex Butal/ASA/Caff
Butalbital Compound Cama Arthritis Pain Reliever Carisoprodol Compound
Cheracol Choline Magnesium Trisalicylate Choline Salicylate
Cope Coricidin Cortisone Medications
Damason-P Darvon Compound-65 Darvon/ASA
Dipentum Disalcid Doan's products
Dolobid Dristan Duragesic
Easprin Ecotrin products Empirin products
Equagesic Excedrin products Fiorgen PF
Fiorinal products Gelpirin Genprin
Gensan Goody's Extra Strength Headache Powders Halfprin products
Isollyl Improved Kaodene Lanorinal
Lortab ASA Magan Magnaprin products
Magnesium Salicylate Magsal Marnal
Marthritic Meprobamate Mesalamine
Methocarbamol Micrainin Mobidin
Mobigesic Momentum Mono-Gesic
Night-Time Effervescent Cold Norgesic products Norwich products
Olsalazine Orphengesic products Oxycodone
Pabalate products P-A-C Pain Reliever Tabs
Panasal Pentasa Pepto-Bismol
Percodan products Phenaphen/Codeine #3 Pink Bismuth
Propoxyphene Compound products Robaxisal Rowasa
Roxeprin Saleto products Salflex
Salicylate products Salsalate SalsitabDavid Palumbo
Scheduled on 1/24/2011
Scot-Tussin Original 5-Action Sine-off Sinutab
Sodium Salicylate Sodol Compound Soma Compound
St. Joseph Aspirin Sulfasalazine Supac
Suprax Synalgos-DC Talwin
Triaminicin Tricosal Trilisate
Tussanil DH Tussirex products Ursinus-Inlay
Vanquish Wesprin Willow Bark products
Zorprin

Ibuprofen Medications to Avoid

Actron Acular (opthalmic) Advil products
Aleve Anaprox products Ansaid
Cataflam Clinoril Daypro
Diclofenac Dimetapp Sinus Dristan Sinus
Etodolac Feldene Fenoprofen
Flurbiprofen Genpril Haltran
IBU Ibuprin Ibuprofen
Ibuprohm Indochron E-R Indocin products
Indomethacin products Ketoprofen Ketorolac
Lodine Meclofenamate Meclomen
Mefenamic Acid Menadol Midol products
Motrin products Nabumetone Nalfon products
Naprelan Naprosyn products Naprox X
Naproxen Nuprin Ocufen (opthalmic)
Orudis products Oruvail Oxaprozin
Piroxicam Ponstel Profenal
Relafen Rhinocaps Sine-Aid products
Sulindac Suprofen Tolectin products
Tolmetin Toradol Voltaren

Other Medications to Avoid

. 4-Way w/ Codeine A.C.A.
A-A Compound Accutrim Actifed
Anexsia Anisindione Anturane
Arthritis Bufferin BC Tablets Childrens Advil
Clinoril C Contac Coumadin
Dalteparin injection Dicumerol Dipyridamole
Doxycycline Emagrin Enoxaparin injection
Flagyl Fragmin injection Furadantin
Garlic Heparin Hydrocortisone
Isollyl Lovenox injection MacrodantinScheduled on 1/24/201........................
Mellaril Miradon Opasal
Pan-PAC Pentoxyfylline Persantine
Phenylpropanolamine Prednisone Protamine
Protein Shake Pyrroxate Ru-Tuss
Salatin Sinex Sofarin
Soltice Sparine Stelazine
Sulfinpyrazone Tenuate Tenuate Dospan
Thorazine Ticlid Ticlopidine
Trental Ursinus Vibramycin
Vitamin E Warfarin

Tricyclic Antidepressants Medications to Avoid

Adapin Amitriptyline Amoxapine
Anafranil Asendin Aventyl
Clomipramine Desipramine Doxepin
Elavil Endep Etrafon products
Imipramine Janimine Limbitrol products
Ludiomil Maprotiline Norpramin
Nortriptyline Pamelor Pertofrane
Protriptyline Sinequan Surmontil
Tofranil Triavil Trimipramine
Vivactil

Herbal Medications to Avoid

Echinecea Food Supliments Ginkgo Biloba
Ginseng Herbs Protein Shake
St. John's Wort

SallyAnne
03-07-2011, 10:58 AM
uOR8JTrYNA4

patrickfoster
03-16-2011, 07:02 AM
I fractured my left collarbone in two places when I was 15 now i got muscle growth problems it has affected my left deltoids left pec left trapezium left lat left tricep and left biceps and my left forearm is over growing it seems like its taking the weight off the shoulder area and over growing the shoulder area feels like its loose compared to my right side.Im thinking about getting the collarbone reset I wanted to know if any one has had there collarbone reset and did it fix the problem ?

dbow196
04-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Dr. How would a patient in Texas see you for treatment. Short of that do you have a Doctor in Dallas/Austin/Houston you would refer to?

2hot4u
10-13-2011, 06:13 AM
sent the dr a pm do you know how often he is on here???

Baldiewonkanobi
05-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Dear Doctor,

Have you ever filled in the divot left behind after a successful pec reattachment after rupture from humerous bone?

Thsnx,

Bill Mortimer

Qster
06-13-2012, 02:20 AM
Can you fix cauliflower ear?

llrxyou
01-04-2014, 04:36 AM
This is a health forum? ? ?