PDA

View Full Version : Training performance and strength loss while on keto diet?

SlimTim
05-25-2009, 02:57 AM
Im starting a keto diet next week for the first time and I'm wondering what I should expect in terms of training performance and strength while on the diet. Im using Dave's diet for the 200lb man as im just slightly over that. Will I lose alot of strength and training intensity on keto? Alot of people say they maintain thier strength or even gain strength while in ketosis but most of them are using gear, and Im a natty lifter, will the same hold true?

ArabMuscle
05-25-2009, 06:13 AM
I've started Dave's KETO-DIET yesterday. I lifted the exact same weights, full controlled contractions with ease. I'm not using any gear or any natural test boosters.
Currently supplementing with Fish Oil (9g per day), Creatine Monohydrate (10g per day) and BCAA's and Glutamine pre-cardio (although Dave opposes this, but I'd rather not risk it).
Make sure you drink a lot of water (a gallon's worth) and feel free to add Sea Salt to all your meals.
The salt and creatine will hydrate your muscles by retaining intra-muscular water, since you'll go extremely low carb.

matt1005
05-25-2009, 11:39 AM
My training performance getting ready for a show did not suffer any. I stayed strong the whole time and muscles for the most part were full and hard. Strength did not decrease. As the above post, put salt into the diet. It will help.

meatheadio
05-25-2009, 09:50 PM
Your strenght should remain about the same as if you were dieting with carbs once you're in ketosis. The changover period varies but for most people you will feel tired and lethargic, but its only a couple of days which is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

SlimTim
05-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the replies, Im looking forward to starting the diet, I just didnt know what to expect in terms of strength loss. I have never been a naturally really strong person, Ive had to fight tooth and nail for what Ive gotten so far so id like to atleast be able to maintain my current levels while going through the diet.

cobra
06-18-2009, 12:31 AM
I only began to struggle when crossin over to doin pro/fat pro/veg dys. Other than that, pretty much the first 10 weeks or so of the diet I didn't skip a beat and stayed relatively strong.