PDA

View Full Version : Brachialis training

SlimTim
05-25-2009, 03:06 AM
I want to add a movement into my arm training to help bring out my brachialis more, Ive made good gains this offseason on my arms but I havent been doing any movments to really target that area. I have found doing overall lower volume on my arms is the best approach for me, and my current biceps routine is 9 sets. 3 sets each of Alt dumbell curls, barbell curls and cable preacher curls (one or two arm, depending how I feel). Im looking to add in 2 sets of cross body hammer curls or some reverse cable curl to really hit my brachialis. Should I count this into my total bicep sets? and remove one of my other movements to keep it at 9, or since the biceps arent as highly involved will it be safe to add these in at the end of my arm workout without over training my bi's?

Por2gue
05-25-2009, 03:15 AM
Yes if your doing these cable curls correctly how Larry Scott shows people with your elbows at your ears. In this fashion your bicep really is truly out of the movement so the weight is very little, I throw these in at the end. However your sets sound a little high for biceps in general IMO.

DaEagles
05-25-2009, 03:33 AM
Pinwheel Curls.

Por2gue
05-25-2009, 03:36 AM
Spider bench curls is another one. Pinwheels are good too, but don't totally keep the bicep out of the movement.

mg659er
05-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Motherfuckin' ADABISI!!!!!!!! Oh sorry.

Biggie973
05-25-2009, 08:26 PM
If you wanna finish off your arms, try this tri-set out: Hammer Curls: 3x10-12, Reverse Curls: 3x10-12 & Cross Hammers: 3x10-12. Your Brachialis should pumped up.

zipmouth
05-25-2009, 08:44 PM
Yes if your doing these cable curls correctly how Larry Scott shows people with your elbows at your ears. In this fashion your bicep really is truly out of the movement so the weight is very little, I throw these in at the end. However your sets sound a little high for biceps in general IMO.

As Scott teaches, if the upper arms are raised above your head and a curl movement is made, the biceps is completely removed from the movement and the brachialis is isolated. He also warns that the weight used when the brachialis is truly isolated will be severely reduced.

SlimTim
05-25-2009, 10:01 PM
So would you do these over head curls on like a lat pull down machine? Or how are they to be performed?

zipmouth
05-25-2009, 10:31 PM
So would you do these over head curls on like a lat pull down machine? Or how are they to be performed?

You kneel or sit at a lat pull down machine with a shoulder width, underhand grip, arms extended fully overhead. Keep your elbows IN! The tendency is to let the elbows flare out because the biceps becomes involved and makes it easier. If needed, get a spotter to hold your elbows in close to your ears. Then "curl" the bar down until your forearms are parallel with the floor. You will only be capable of about 30% of the load you use in a standard curl.

SlimTim
05-25-2009, 10:35 PM
Awesome thanks for the info, Ive seen this movement before, but never tried it, ill have to give it a go this week when I do arms

zipmouth
05-25-2009, 10:35 PM
By the way, as mentioned above, spider curls (as mentioned above) or vertical preacher bench curls are good for biceps peak development, not primarily because of the brachialis, but because they target the long head of the biceps with affects the peak.

SlimTim
05-25-2009, 10:37 PM
Yeah, Ive done those movements on occasion as well. I really want to hit my brachialis hard to give my arms that thick look from the side, with good seperation between the bi and tri.

zipmouth
05-25-2009, 10:45 PM
This video on youtube shows the movement I described so you can see it.
I searched "brachialis workout"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SywDPh

BigJD69
05-25-2009, 11:11 PM
Reverse preachers.

vboissiere
05-26-2009, 04:08 AM
This video on youtube shows the movement I described so you can see it.
I searched "brachialis workout"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SywDPh

The curl movement on the pulldown machine seems interesting. Gonna try it tomorrow.

TPT
05-26-2009, 06:29 PM
training and preferential muscle recruitment? - RX Muscle Forums

brachialis is likely stressed greatest during contractions that approximate isometric or slow eccentric contractions (eg. 10 sec negatives).