PDA

View Full Version : Coach Woes

Sistersteel
05-25-2009, 03:31 AM
I have been going through a difficult phase with my coach. I did not think much of it at first but here recently the tension between us has been building up tremendously. I think very highly of him, however we constantly disagree on the proper training approach that I respond best to. I feel I need to be doing more assistance work to the lifts and he thinks all I need to be doing is working the lifts. I just started to get a better grasp of the squat clean and right when I am starting to establish my comfort zone, coach decides I am wasting far too much time working technique when I should be concerned with putting weight on the bar instead. I do not feel that is fair. Its as though he cares more about the big weights than proper technique.

I don't know what to do. He knows I been dieting and have been doing double cardios, and he knows that I am low carbing throughout the course of the week. He knows that I make a living off the way I look too and was very supportive of me considering he was made aware that this phase was temporary and I would put the weight back on for the American Open.

For some reason he just switched on me and is getting frustrated with me at every single workout. TEN MINUTES into my workout and he starts yelling at me and cussing and says I look tired and that was enouigh for today....

Now you have got to be shitting me...first off, I am not used to getting yelled at and out of respect I been keeping my cool even though his attitude has ruined my workout every single time. I cannot perform in that type of environment. He just seems to criticize every little thing I do which I find very offensive honestly. For example, he has decided that he does not like my snatch anymore after I spent so much time perfecting it. Now he thinks I need to jump my feet out on the second pull...well guess what....It doesn't feel right to jump my feet out! I have NEVER jumped my feet out..its certainly not going to look fluid and smooth when you just messed me all up by changing the way I have grown comfortable at doing things.

That...and he has walked out on me twice already. He just does not even show any enthusiasm when I am training. I know deep down that he is sick and tired of my dieting and how it has affected my performance..well tough shit. He does not pay my bills. Coach has a couple of lifters living in his town homes with all their bills paid..I am not one of them. I don't think he is entitled to getting frustrated with me when he has known from day ONE when he dragged me onto the platform that first time, that my lifestyle conflicted in many ways with my training.

I went in much later today to work some technique. I honestly wanted to train on my own without him but, alas, he was there. He never stays that late on Sundays. My luck I guess.

Not only did he cut my workout short again because he thought I was tired, when I wasn't (the only thing I was tired of was him honestly), but he also left me there right in the middle of my workout and went home.
I told him I would see him tomorrow (Monday) to clean and Jerk and he made this face and said: Why are you coming tomorrow..you need to take some days off to rest.

Holy fuck. That just hit me all wrong man. I AM ALWAYS IN ON A MONDAY, RELIGIOUSLY. IN FACT, MONDAY IS MY HEAVY DAY BECAUSE I COME IN TO LIFT AFTER A 2 DAY CARB UP!

Needless to say..I am upset. I am upset to the point that I just might be done.... I going to Nationals next week because he is flying me out with the team and I do not want to bail on my team mates..but if things do not improve I am just moving on. That saddens me because I love my coach and I love the team but I am tired of being under so much pressure and feeling guilty for choices I made far before I ever became an Olympic Weight Lifter.

I cannot make changes to my life overnight, I cannot eat like a fucking cow and look like one to make him happy. I feel as though he has given up on me and that is making me want to give up on a sport I have grown very fond of.

I am tempted not to go in tomorrow and just train legs or back somewhere else. Maybe if I don't come in for a few days he will come looking for me..which he usually does when I do not show up to train on certain days.
And if he doesn't....then I'll have my answer.

SS

dublin-lifter
05-25-2009, 09:07 AM
sounds a bit rough alright but i dont see why you cant do both bodybuilding and the olympic lifting
i know of a few people that do both powerlifting and bodybuilding you just need to time your diets and competions well id imagine

dont sacrifce your body just to keep somebody else happy if you have to pick make sure its the one you want to do and not anyone else

anyway best of luck hope things work out for you

GirlyMuscle
05-25-2009, 09:15 AM
Have you talked it all over with him? Once you do (if you haven't already), you'll know your answer. In fact, you probably already do know.

A coach is there to support you in YOUR goals...not his.

Gaoshang Xiongshou
05-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Is it possible to do your assistance lifts at another location? It sounds like you could both get what you want if you do it that way.

Of course, this still does nothing for the way he treats you. Maybe it is time to move on to a different coach and team?

The Big Sexy
05-25-2009, 10:07 AM
Is it possible to do your assistance lifts at another location? It sounds like you could both get what you want if you do it that way.

Of course, this still does nothing for the way he treats you. Maybe it is time to move on to a different coach and team?

Even so - from what I read - he tends to rail on her technique when she lifts at the gym he is at. So, he'd still demand she move the weight and use looser form (even if SS did assistance lifts elsewhere)

SS - Sounds like a tough call. Moving mad weight isn't something I've ever been able to do - but, when I'm dieting, going heavier for me is always more difficult. Respect for even being able to attempt that.

The only advice I can really give you is to determine if it is worth it. Is the stress you endure, the treatment, his disagreements - are they worth the trade-off of being in Olympic lifting?

I would not concern myself with what he wants - but what you want. What is it that you want/demand from a coach? There is more than just one coach in the world.

Go to a different gym? That does not sound like the SS I have been reading here on the boards. You seem like a strong person - one who does what it takes. Walk in there and do your lifts the way you want to do them - throw anyone else on ignore if they are going to bring a negative vibe to you.

crashcrew56
05-25-2009, 11:26 AM
I think maybe you should have a talk with him and explain to him the problems your having with him and ask him what he's pissed about?

or you could tell him that you stopped your diet

SallyAnne
05-25-2009, 11:32 AM
It sounds as if you are at a crossroads. I think Girly has given good advice - you should confront him and air all your concerns. If he walks away again or does something else to make you feel that he doesn't care, you need to start making some decisions for yourself and do what is in your heart.

BK
05-25-2009, 11:38 AM
You and your coach are both right and wrong. You know and he knows that your double cardio sessions and low carb approach are detrimental to producing the best results on the platform. He is wrong for all of a sudden gong off on you when he clearly knows what you are doing outside of training. Sounds like he is more frustrated then anything because he sees the potential in you but your diet and other training are holding you back a bit. I think that he is right in telling you to focus on moving more weight and sacrificing your technique a bit. If you don't move heavier weights you won't get stronger, no matter how good or bad your technique is. You really never use great technique on a max effort movement anyway, so listen to him on that. Also if you get stronger on the movements your assistance lifts will improve which will ultimately carry over into your platform movements. As far as jumping your feet out on the second pull, I can feel you on that if it does'nt feel right, but if you are not used to it it will feel awkward. You may want to consider it and work it in a bit. He is the coach and he has been at it longer then you and he watches your technique, so just consider it. Have you asked the other lifters if he has been railing on them?

Sistersteel
05-25-2009, 02:13 PM
You and your coach are both right and wrong. You know and he knows that your double cardio sessions and low carb approach are detrimental to producing the best results on the platform. He is wrong for all of a sudden gong off on you when he clearly knows what you are doing outside of training. Sounds like he is more frustrated then anything because he sees the potential in you but your diet and other training are holding you back a bit. I think that he is right in telling you to focus on moving more weight and sacrificing your technique a bit. If you don't move heavier weights you won't get stronger, no matter how good or bad your technique is. You really never use great technique on a max effort movement anyway, so listen to him on that. Also if you get stronger on the movements your assistance lifts will improve which will ultimately carry over into your platform movements. As far as jumping your feet out on the second pull, I can feel you on that if it doesn’t feel right, but if you are not used to it it will feel awkward. You may want to consider it and work it in a bit. He is the coach and he has been at it longer then you and he watches your technique, so just consider it. Have you asked the other lifters if he has been railing on them?

No. I am the only one he has been royally frustrated with. My team mates have all noticed it too. We've been talking about it all week. You guys think I have not talked about this with him. What everyone fails to realize is that I do not have to sit a person down and talk to them to know how they feel. I read people for a living so I find no need in beating a dead horse. I've already talked to him about this...MANY times. Only a few weeks ago he said he was not worried about my lifts right now and my dieting just as long as I could be ready for the American Open. That's in December. I'll be fat and happy by then.

BK, I have not been arguing with my coach. When he says jump your feet out, I suck it up and jump my feet out. I do not tell him what I think I should be doing. I know he knows better. But when I miss a lift BECAUSE I am trying jump my feet out when I spent an entire YEAR NOT doing that, he gets frustrated with me even more. I was close to perfecting my snatch..and never had to jump my feet out. Some of the best lifters on the team do not jump their feet out either. I asked about that, and was told that people who do not jump their feet out are usually not second pullers. I can really explode on my second pull but supposedly I could exert more force if I jumped my feet out...well i wish I had been told that ten months ago, I would have made an effort to implement the jump as instructed and not conditioned myself to doing it differently. It has completely thrown we off to finally get comfortable with a lift and have to do it differently.

I have a few comments on everyone else responses...

GM,
Having a coach means you need to follow his rules and his instruction. I am not saying you have no voice, on the contrary, there is a lot of give and take in that type of a relationship. However, he is definitely NOT there to help you with YOUR goals. He is not a personal trainer getting paid for a service. He is a mentor, and sponsor to the athlete and when you compete on a team, HIS team, you have obligations towards your team mates and your coach. Its not about you and your goals, its about what it best for the team.

Crashcrew,
Your suggestion is probably the closest one to what I have considered doing about this problem. But then he is slick..he tests me...he will buy me cokes and snickers bars on heavy days...and if I turn them down, he knows I am dieting. Shit I usually turn down the snickers and cokes even if I am NOT dieting. Most of the lifters eat fast food right before they get on the platform.

Just so you all know how I met my coach.. when I finally made the decision to give up on competitive bodybuilding, I decided to get back into strongwoman. So I went looking for a well equipped gym to start my training and had known about Coffee's spot for quite some time. Some of the best strength athletes have passed through Coffee's gym through the years, so i decided to go check the gym out. The day I met John Coffee was probably the best thing to ever happen to me in my athletic career. The minute he laid eyes on me, he dragged me into the lifting room and put me under a bar on the platform. He was very impressed with my leg development, my arm lockout, and my Achilles tendons..I was built for it. Plus he was looking for a superheavyweight, and there I was..200lb at 13% and 5'5". I honestly knew nothing about the sport and was not too thrilled that he wanted me to come in the next day to train with him. I wanted to flip tires not clean bars. So I went in and I trained...I power cleaned 100kg the first day. Coach shat himself. I was doing RDLs with 135kg for reps. Coach said in his 50 years he had never seen a woman move that kind of weight...so I showed a lot of potential. I finally found myself...that is where I belonged. I worked very hard...i suffered many injuries...got much bigger than I would like to get...but I trained my ass off and the better I got, the more I fell in love with the sport and the better I wanted to get at it. I have put so much heart into my training...

BigSexy,
I am quoting you:

The only advice I can really give you is to determine if it is worth it. Is the stress you endure, the treatment, his disagreements - are they worth the trade-off of being in Olympic lifting?

I would not concern myself with what he wants - but what you want. What is it that you want/demand from a coach? There is more than just one coach in the world.

Go to a different gym? That does not sound like the SS I have been reading here on the boards. You seem like a strong person - one who does what it takes. Walk in there and do your lifts the way you want to do them - throw anyone else on ignore if they are going to bring a negative vibe to you....Let me ask you this..is it worth it for you to spend months dieting and doing endless hours of cardio to look the way you do? Is it worth all that sacrifice and commitment for a bodybuilder to get in phenomenal shape only to compete on a stage that will most likely never reward him? Is it worth it to invest your time in something that costs you more money than it makes you? You've answered your own question.

I do not have the luxury of investing my time in something I do not care for. My time is money. I only make time for the things that matter, and for people that matter..

What my coach wants and what I want are one and the same thing, to make a good lifter out of me. We might not see eye to eye on certain things, but we are very much on the same page. You are missing the point.
Our disagreement was a result of his lack of tolerance and not the lack of a common purpose.

He is not the only coach in the world, true, but he certainly is one of the best in the World, and I am privileged to be sponsored by him. It is an honor to have the opportunity to represent on one of the best women's Olympic Weight Lifting teams in the United States. His reputation precedes him locally and on the international circuit and it has for over 40 years.

The ONLY way I would walk out on him or my team is if he let me go.

You say:
"SS, you seem like a strong person, one who does what it takes.."

I AM doing what it takes. You fail to realize that these are matters of loyalty and honor. I have persevered and worked through all obstacles and will continue to do so for as long as he will permit me to. THAT is what it takes, BigSexy. I do not walk out on people who have done right by me regardless of our differences. I work through things. I am tolerant and patient and these are virtues most people lack. THAT is my strength, in that I persevere and fight for the things I believe in, despite all odds. My determination keeps me going when others walk away. THAT is what makes me who I am.

That being said, I've been receiving text messages all day from all my teams mates. Some of them want me to come in and train and some of them want to take me to the movies...I think they are worried about me which is an admirable quality about them. Their concern is flattering.
The greatest thing about this sport is the camaraderie. It is truly very rewarding to feel like someone depends on you and believes in you. As a team we all depend on each other. I am just really sad today and wish I could be in there with them...

Respect,
SS

crashcrew56
05-25-2009, 02:32 PM
Crashcrew,
Your suggestion is probably the closest one to what I have considered doing about this problem. But then he is slick..he tests me...he will buy me cokes and snickers bars on heavy days...and if I turn them down, he knows I am dieting. Shit I usually turn down the snickers and cokes even if I am NOT dieting. Most of the lifters eat fast food right before they get on the platform.

Respect,
SS

I've got it, you might not want to do this but, here's a suggestion... eat something really high carb before a workout and make sure he sees it and then go into the bathroom and pull the trigger....
You might not want to resort to this, but it's a suggestion

Sistersteel
05-25-2009, 04:06 PM
I've got it, you might not want to do this but, here's a suggestion... eat something really high carb before a workout and make sure he sees it and then go into the bathroom and pull the trigger....
You might not want to resort to this, but it's a suggestion

LMAO! I have enough unhealthy habits. lol
You and I seem to be on the same page there buddy..on a slightly different level though. I asked him out to lunch a few weeks ago to an ethnic buffet I know he really enjoys. We have not gone yet but it was my attempt at trying to set his mind at ease if he saw me eating.

I bought a bag of dried fruits this weekend from Costco...dude that was a 4lb bag of dried fruits that I consumed throughout the course of a 2 day carb up so that I could go in today and make him proud. I also ate about 5lb of oranges and drank 3 gallons of orange juice. I talked about the fruits all weekend and claimed to have eaten a bucket of ice cream too..which was a lie of course lol. I even had a powerade while I was training yesterday. Don't think he even noticed.

All that sugar and I end up staying home today instead of going in to train with everyone on a holiday. I am going to have to do 3 hours of cardio today and train legs or back somewhere else to deplete myself a bit after that sugar overdose.

Adjusting my diet for peak performance while maintaing an acceptable physique has been the hardest and biggest challenge for me.

crashcrew56
05-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Adjusting my diet for peak performance while maintaing an acceptable physique has been the hardest and biggest challenge for me.

I feel you on this one

The Big Sexy
05-25-2009, 05:24 PM
SS I'm quoting you

Let me ask you this..is it worth it for you to spend months dieting and doing endless hours of cardio to look the way you do? Is it worth all that sacrifice and commitment for a bodybuilder to get in phenomenal shape only to compete on a stage that will most likely never reward him? Is it worth it to invest your time in something that costs you more money than it makes you? You've answered your own question.

I do not have the luxury of investing my time in something I do not care for. My time is money. I only make time for the things that matter, and for people that matter..

What my coach wants and what I want are one and the same thing, to make a good lifter out of me. We might not see eye to eye on certain things, but we are very much on the same page. You are missing the point.
Our disagreement was a result of his lack of tolerance and not the lack of a common purpose.

He is not the only coach in the world, true, but he certainly is one of the best in the World, and I am privileged to be sponsored by him. It is an honor to have the opportunity to represent on one of the best women's Olympic Weight Lifting teams in the United States. His reputation precedes him locally and on the international circuit and it has for over 40 years.

The ONLY way I would walk out on him or my team is if he let me go.

You say:
"SS, you seem like a strong person, one who does what it takes.."

I AM doing what it takes. You fail to realize that these are matters of loyalty and honor. I have persevered and worked through all obstacles and will continue to do so for as long as he will permit me to. THAT is what it takes, BigSexy. I do not walk out on people who have done right by me regardless of our differences. I work through things. I am tolerant and patient and these are virtues most people lack. THAT is my strength, in that I persevere and fight for the things I believe in, despite all odds. My determination keeps me going when others walk away. THAT is what makes me who I am.

That being said, I've been receiving text messages all day from all my teams mates. Some of them want me to come in and train and some of them want to take me to the movies...I think they are worried about me which is an admirable quality about them. Their concern is flattering.
The greatest thing about this sport is the camaraderie. It is truly very rewarding to feel like someone depends on you and believes in you. As a team we all depend on each other. I am just really sad today and wish I could be in there with them...

Respect,
SS
=======================

I suppose what I was getting at isn't if it was worth it to be in Oly lifting - but if it was worth all of the heartache you are putting up with, with this coach, in Oly lifting. Not that the lifting wasn't worth it.

But - you did address what I was getting at later on in the quote... and I can respect that 100%

BK
05-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Hey Sis, you have to admit that your low carb approach and double cardio sessions are not conducive to producing big lifts on the platform. That may be the underlying factor in his frustration. Trust me, as a former coach, I would get frustrated as hell at my kids if I knew they were doing something that was hindering there performance. So I can see where your coach is coming from. I seriously doubt any of the other lifters are doing what you are doing so he is naturally gonna be frustrated with you.
I can see both sides to this arguement as Oly ligting does'nt pay the bills and you use your body to pay the bills and he should take this into consideration. Surely there is a compromise that can be met with this situation. Maybe a tweak in your training program and/or diet. You obviously know your body better then I do and I am jsut on the outside looking in, but it seems like you could adjust your cardio sessions to better yuor performance on the platform (interval training, etc.).

Sistersteel
05-25-2009, 07:53 PM
I suppose what I was getting at isn't if it was worth it to be in Oly lifting - but if it was worth all of the heartache you are putting up with, with this coach, in Oly lifting. Not that the lifting wasn't worth it.

But - you did address what I was getting at later on in the quote... and I can respect that 100%

The best things in life are worth fighting for .... I truly believe that. Thank you for your input and your support on this matter BigSexy. I deeply appreciate it.

Sistersteel
05-25-2009, 08:38 PM
Hey Sis, you have to admit that your low carb approach and double cardio sessions are not conducive to producing big lifts on the platform. That may be the underlying factor in his frustration. Trust me, as a former coach, I would get frustrated as hell at my kids if I knew they were doing something that was hindering there performance. So I can see where your coach is coming from. I seriously doubt any of the other lifters are doing what you are doing so he is naturally gonna be frustrated with you.
I can see both sides to this arguement as Oly ligting does'nt pay the bills and you use your body to pay the bills and he should take this into consideration. Surely there is a compromise that can be met with this situation. Maybe a tweak in your training program and/or diet. You obviously know your body better then I do and I am jsut on the outside looking in, but it seems like you could adjust your cardio sessions to better yuor performance on the platform (interval training, etc.).

Yes. Absolutely. The dieting, calorie deficit, intense cardio has killed my performance. I started dieting February because I had to meet the terms of my contract to shoot The Gladiator show. I was getting paid big bucks to do that. When that got postponed, and after I had turned down a lot of business to get in shape in 8 weeks, I decided to continue dieting until I was in decent shape for this season. I wanted to take advantage of this season to market myself a little differently. My job involves a lot of very heavy lifting and that too has affected my training. I was having to take time off frequently, I was always in pain, everything hurt ALL the time...I don't want to be forced to retire by the time I am 30, so I have decided not to offer lifting services anymore, precisely so that the ONLY lifting I have to do is in the gym. You do not understand how difficult this is for me. That is what I am MOST popular for, and a major source of income for me.

I saw this as the perfect opportunity to diet down and downsize a little considering this is the time of year I make most of my money with all the big shows coming up within the next few months. I make enough money this time of year to ride me through the beginning of next year. So All I have to do is train! All I needed was a couple of months to get done with the gigs I have lined up, launch my new website and then move on with my life. It is a transition for me. I am making HUGE SACRIFICES for the sake of my training...coach knows ALL about that too. We've discussed all of this time and time again.

I had to stop using too so that I could clean up in time for the American Open. We had very serious discussions about that too. Things got worse for me when I stopped using because that is the only thing that was keeping me together. I did not know I was so torn up until I dropped the gear and the pain flared up EVERYWHERE. The only reason I every used was for tendon and joint support. So he started me on the physical therapy which did me no good. I was only able to clean and jerk ONCE a week. I could not even train on consecutive days. I cannot train my snatch without straps either. Its been a nightmare.

I have done more than most would have done in this situation.
He wanted a big girl and that, I still am. I am right around 203lb right now. I can pack the weight back on in 2 weeks when I have to. Putting weight on has never been a problem for me. Its Keeping my weight DOWN that is a nightmare. I hit 230lb since I been training under him. I could not even wipe my own ass. Fuck that. I am 30lb lighter now, running nothing, and have hit PRs on my snatch twice in the past 2 months. My c&j has not been the best because my back is fucked up ( I injured it back in December on squats and had to be rushed to the ER...I could not walk, I thought It was the wheelchair for me. It has not been 100% since), I have tendinitis in both my forearms, both elbows and both knees. I also have tendinitis in the JAW and a bad right shoulder.

I was damaged goods when he met me yet he still believed in me and we have come a long way together. There is no reason for him to give up on me now. I am in there every day goddammit come hell or high water! Sleep or no sleep, pain or no pain, food or no food.. I am in there busting my ass and giving it 110% EVERY TIME. My best might not be good enough for him on days when I am depleted anymore, but my dedication, loyalty, determination and heart have to count for something. And if they don't, then I can walk away with a clear conscience knowing that I gave it everything I had.

No regrets.

SS

BK
05-25-2009, 08:56 PM
Yes. Absolutely. The dieting, calorie deficit, intense cardio has killed my performance. I started dieting February because I had to meet the terms of my contract to shoot The Gladiator show. I was getting paid big bucks to do that. When that got postponed, and after I had turned down a lot of business to get in shape in 8 weeks, I decided to continue dieting until I was in decent shape for this season. I wanted to take advantage of this season to market myself a little differently. My job involves a lot of very heavy lifting and that too has affected my training. I was having to take time off frequently, I was always in pain, everything hurt ALL the time...I don't want to be forced to retire by the time I am 30, so I have decided not to offer lifting services anymore, precisely so that the ONLY lifting I have to do is in the gym. You do not understand how difficult this is for me. That is what I am MOST popular for, and a major source of income for me.

I saw this as the perfect opportunity to diet down and downsize a little considering this is the time of year I make most of my money with all the big shows coming up within the next few months. I make enough money this time of year to ride me through the beginning of next year. So All I have to do is train! All I needed was a couple of months to get done with the gigs I have lined up, launch my new website and then move on with my life. It is a transition for me. I am making HUGE SACRIFICES for the sake of my training...coach knows ALL about that too. We've discussed all of this time and time again.

I had to stop using too so that I could clean up in time for the American Open. We had very serious discussions about that too. Things got worse for me when I stopped using because that is the only thing that was keeping me together. I did not know I was so torn up until I dropped the gear and the pain flared up EVERYWHERE. The only reason I every used was for tendon and joint support. So he started me on the physical therapy which did me no good. I was only able to clean and jerk ONCE a week. I could not even train on consecutive days. I cannot train my snatch without straps either. Its been a nightmare.

I have done more than most would have done in this situation.
He wanted a big girl and that, I still am. I am right around 203lb right now. I can pack the weight back on in 2 weeks when I have to. Putting weight on has never been a problem for me. Its Keeping my weight DOWN that is a nightmare. I hit 230lb since I been training under him. I could not even wipe my own ass. Fuck that. I am 30lb lighter now, running nothing, and have hit PRs on my snatch twice in the past 2 months. My c&j has not been the best because my back is fucked up ( I injured it back in December on squats and had to be rushed to the ER...I could not walk, I thought It was the wheelchair for me. It has not been 100% since), I have tendinitis in both my forearms, both elbows and both knees. I also have tendinitis in the JAW and a bad right shoulder.

I was damaged goods when he met me yet he still believed in me and we have come a long way together. There is no reason for him to give up on me now. I am in there every day goddammit come hell or high water! Sleep or no sleep, pain or no pain, food or no food.. I am in there busting my ass and giving it 110% EVERY TIME. My best might not be good enough for him on days when I am depleted anymore, but my dedication, loyalty, determination and heart have to count for something. And if they don't, then I can walk away with a clear conscience knowing that I gave it everything I had.

No regrets.

SS
So after this couple month time frame elapses and you get to where you need to be, can you drop some of the cardio from routine? From what I read it seem to be bump in the road, and nothing long term. You know as well as I that high repetition anything destroys tendons. Knowing this, at least you have the anwer to your questions. The problem is that your coach is getting frustrated because he sees this too.:)
I am not trying to be a dick or anything of that nature, but this is what is causing alot of yuor problems IMO. I can tell you another reason why I think this is going on...YOU CUT YOUR BEAUTFUL HAIR DAMMIT!!!

Sistersteel
05-26-2009, 12:22 AM
So after this couple month time frame elapses and you get to where you need to be, can you drop some of the cardio from routine?

HELL YES!! I will not be doing ANY CARDIO AT ALL FOR 3 MONTHS BEFORE THE AMERICAN OPEN PLUS I WILL BE GETTING BACK UP TO 220LB WHERE I AM MY STRONGEST.

From what I read it seem to be bump in the road, and nothing long term. You know as well as I that high repetition anything destroys tendons. Knowing this, at least you have the anwer to your questions. The problem is that your coach is getting frustrated because he sees this too.:)

I don't do high rep anything. On my worst day I will pull weight for 5 reps on working sets and nothing over doubles and singles for strength. High rep is for pussies.

I am not trying to be a dick or anything of that nature, but this is what is causing alot of yuor problems IMO. I can tell you another reason why I think this is going on...YOU CUT YOUR BEAUTFUL HAIR DAMMIT!!!

Believe me, I am more upset about that than you are. I will be getting extensions put in right after the NAGA grappling championship.

BK
05-26-2009, 01:56 AM
HELL YES!! I will not be doing ANY CARDIO AT ALL FOR 3 MONTHS BEFORE THE AMERICAN OPEN PLUS I WILL BE GETTING BACK UP TO 220LB WHERE I AM MY STRONGEST.

I don't do high rep anything. On my worst day I will pull weight for 5 reps on working sets and nothing over doubles and singles for strength. High rep is for pussies.

Believe me, I am more upset about that than you are. I will be getting extensions put in right after the NAGA grappling championship.
Cardio is high rep. Bike, stairstepper, elliptical is high rep and is extra movement and rotatiton about your hip and knee joints. I wasn't talking about any resistance movements you were performing. Think of the repetitive movement of most cardio and the repetitive nature of the movement that yor hips and knees go thru.

WTF you are grappling too?LOL

crashcrew56
05-26-2009, 02:18 AM

Um.... FUCK YEAH!!!

I think that's going to be my new signature

Sistersteel
05-26-2009, 02:45 AM
Cardio is high rep. Bike, stairstepper, elliptical is high rep and is extra movement and rotatiton about your hip and knee joints. I wasn't talking about any resistance movements you were performing. Think of the repetitive movement of most cardio and the repetitive nature of the movement that yor hips and knees go thru.

WTF you are grappling too?LOL

Ok, I see what you're saying. I missed your point.

Yes, I am a grappler. I train under Cobrinah and Jacare on Team Alliance. We are the reigning World champions. I am really good on the mat. The master has high aspirations for me. I am his only heavyweight female as well. lol

We need more big women in athletics dammit. It just seems like I am every coach's wet dream, lol.

When I took up BJJ it was for self defense. In my line of work, being able to defend myself against psychopaths is important. So, yes, I know you cannot excel at any one thing if you divide your focus a hundred different ways.
I am a fulltime sponsored athlete. It is what it is.

My Olympic Weight Lifting is my only hobby. It the only thing I do for fun, for ME. It is not a job requirementlike everything else. Perhaps that is the reason I cling to it the way I do. We all need an outlet.

Sistersteel
05-26-2009, 11:31 AM
*sigh*
Another day of me sitting at home waiting for that phone call...I was never one to play fuck fuck games, but I have decided to back off in this situation and take time to think and reassess my priorities until things change..

crashcrew56
05-26-2009, 11:50 AM
how much longer of dieting do you have?

Sistersteel
05-26-2009, 11:56 AM
6-8 weeks tops

crashcrew56
05-26-2009, 03:49 PM
I think maybe you should just try to keep up with the deception, I personal hate doing it and you might too, but sometimes when dealing with certain people, what they don't know won't hurt them, and this seems like they approach that you might have to toake

robert da strongman
05-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Sis,
If oly lifting is your hobby and it is causing so much distress walk away...
continue grappling. and if you want an outlet/hobby try strongwoman.
it combines well with grappling.

Sistersteel
05-26-2009, 05:41 PM
I think maybe you should just try to keep up with the deception, I personal hate doing it and you might too, but sometimes when dealing with certain people, what they don't know won't hurt them, and this seems like they approach that you might have to toake

That is what I am thinking too. Amen brother.

Sis,
If oly lifting is your hobby and it is causing so much distress walk away...
continue grappling. and if you want an outlet/hobby try strongwoman.
it combines well with grappling.

Rob, I am too emotionally involved to walk away. I wish it were a passing fancy but it isn't. My training is something I am very passionate about. Its almost like telling you to quit strongman to become a bodybuilder. Olympic Lifting is a very demanding sport, and I have failed to meet those demands because of my lifestyle. Its complexity is what deters athletes from pursuing it for too long. If I walk away from something, it better be because I am sick and tired of it and not because I could not take the heat.

crashcrew56
05-26-2009, 05:50 PM
That is what I am thinking too. Amen brother.

Great minds think alike

robert da strongman
05-26-2009, 05:52 PM
i understand where you are coming from Sis! besides i need someone to show me some oly lifting...

consider this a test, a crucible then. what comes out in the end is far better than what went in.

Sistersteel
05-26-2009, 06:00 PM
i understand where you are coming from Sis! besides i need someone to show me some oly lifting...

consider this a test, a crucible then. what comes out in the end is far better than what went in.

Well we are expecting you this summer, so let's make it happen!

robert da strongman
05-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Well we are expecting you this summer, so let's make it happen!

probably after summer...:(

Sistersteel
05-26-2009, 06:36 PM
probably after summer...:(

Hey..as long as you make it at some point, its all good :)

robert da strongman
05-26-2009, 06:44 PM
Hey..as long as you make it at some point, its all good :)

:beerbang:

kids and training
much easier after all that is done.

Sistersteel
05-26-2009, 06:56 PM
Latest update...I get more text messages today to come in and train from all my teammates. I kindly turn everyone down and train elsewhere.

I have the coach's favorite lifter coming to see me shortly. She has been really anxious to see me because she obviously knows something is up...everyone's been talking about it. If I wanted to let the coach know something, all I had to do was tell her about it. Coach would find out before the night was over.

So I am studying my strategy now and thinking of what it is I want to tell her, HOW I want to tell her, and what emotions to convey to make sure she relates the info to coach just the way I want her to.

I know, master manipulator here. lol

Hey, I let others do my dirty work for me. I never need to get my hands dirty. Tricks of the trade baby. Tricks of the trade.

robert da strongman
05-26-2009, 06:57 PM
twisted.....me likey!!

crashcrew56
05-26-2009, 07:04 PM
Latest update...I get more text messages today to come in and train from all my teammates. I kindly turn everyone down and train elsewhere.

I have the coach's favorite lifter coming to see me shortly. She has been really anxious to see me because she obviously knows something is up...everyone's been talking about it. If I wanted to let the coach know something, all I had to do was tell her about it. Coach would find out before the night was over.

So I am studying my strategy now and thinking of what it is I want to tell her, HOW I want to tell her, and what emotions to convey to make sure she relates the info to coach just the way I want her to.

I know, master manipulator here. lol

Hey, I let others do my dirty work for me. I never need to get my hands dirty. Tricks of the trade baby. Tricks of the trade.

I like where your head is at!

Sistersteel
05-26-2009, 07:07 PM
I like where your head is at!

In the gutter baby! lol

Skeptic
05-26-2009, 08:47 PM
Has it occurred to anyone that it's possible he has become sexually attracted to you?

BK
05-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Has it occurred to anyone that it's possible he has become sexually attracted to you?
You gotta believe if that were the case then it would have been that way whgen he first laid eyes on her.

Skeptic
05-26-2009, 10:25 PM
You gotta believe if that were the case then it would have been that way whgen he first laid eyes on her.

Not been my experience at all. Human emotional states often tend to be liquid.

realmccoy
05-26-2009, 11:00 PM
[COLOR=#C00000][/COLO"]RX Muscle Forums - View Profile: Sistersteel@@AMEPARAM@@View Profile: Sistersteel</title>@@AMEPARAM@@Sistersteel
Sistersteel, show up for your training.Maybe he is going thought a tough time, but if he is yelling at you check him right at the door and let him now you are here to train not be be yelled at.

Sistersteel
05-27-2009, 04:09 AM

Coach likes little women, little petite lifters who look like pubescent boys. Nice flat chest and squatters ass, preferably 110lb soaking wet and under 5'0" tall. Believe me, I am the farthest thing from attractive to him.

Sistersteel
05-27-2009, 04:16 AM
I just got in from my meeting with coach's favorite lifter. Its 4:15am and I am spent. I've had quite an eventful, emotionally taxing day and have a lot to think about..but based on tonight's conversation, I will leave you with this for now and relate this evenings events to you in detail tomorrow:

Sistersteel is getting back on the platform manana baby.

SS

robert da strongman
05-27-2009, 12:00 PM
good to hear you will be liftin Sis!!

crashcrew56
05-27-2009, 11:05 PM
Keep us updated on how its going with your coach.. What did you exactly tell your coach's favorite?

BK
05-28-2009, 12:21 AM
Found this post of another forum. Thought it was to add this arguement.

I used to be a member of Coffee's when it was in its original location, then the location that is now a Golds. But haven't been to the location that you're referring too.

If you've not been there long, bro, lemme say one thing... Stay out of the drama. Drama abounds in a Coffee gym. Other than that, you'll not find a better environment to train.

Sistersteel
05-28-2009, 01:43 AM
Keep us updated on how its going with your coach.. What did you exactly tell your coach's favorite?

I basically told her that I was quitting (which I wasn't) just to get a reaction out of her. I got the reaction I was looking for. I can tell you this..I did not like half the things she said to me because I sensed at that point that the drama was caused by too much gossip between her and one of the male queer lifters on the team. I could not tie the coach in on any of this though but I found her using this opportunity to tell me how SHE felt about me and not how the COACH felt about me based on the queer's perception of me. She gave me books on how to "channel my nervous energy". lol

Anyway, she waited until the NEXT DAY to actually tell me that two of our best lifters were leaving and coach has been depressed about that. I told her that unlike the rest of them, I was not the kind of person you needed to beat around the bush with to get a point across...just give it to me like it is. I am a big girl. I can handle it. But apparently the queer claims to have been "hinting" at the fact that I needed to channel my focus better. Well I don't get hints sunshine. You got something to say, don't yap behind my back like a bitch. Say it to my face. So apparently this entire ordeal had nothing to do with the coach at all and coach was only having a rough few weeks. Being the passive guy that he is, he did not convey his feelings well and so I was forced to jump to my own conclusions. He was very sad to hear I wanted to leave and asked the lifter girl for reassurence that I was not quitting on him too. I went in to see him today and I promise you...coach was the kindest and most attentive he has EVER been with me. I had a fantastic workout too, despite being fully depleted and wednesday being my worst day. I had the best day I have had in months. Coach is awesome when he has his shit together man...and when queers stay out of my business.

Found this post of another forum. Thought it was to add this arguement.

I used to be a member of Coffee's when it was in its original location, then the location that is now a Golds. But haven't been to the location that you're referring too.

If you've not been there long, bro, lemme say one thing... Stay out of the drama. Drama abounds in a Coffee gym. Other than that, you'll not find a better environment to train.

And that is exactly what the deal was. Drama. I guess it takes getting dragged into the drama to REALLY feel like you made the team eh? LOL

SadFatty
05-28-2009, 02:30 AM
Isn't he getting mad at you because you aren't giving 100 percent? If you are dieting doesn't that affect performance for the worse?

BK
05-28-2009, 02:48 AM
I basically told her that I was quitting (which I wasn't) just to get a reaction out of her. I got the reaction I was looking for. I can tell you this..I did not like half the things she said to me because I sensed at that point that the drama was caused by too much gossip between her and one of the male queer lifters on the team. I could not tie the coach in on any of this though but I found her using this opportunity to tell me how SHE felt about me and not how the COACH felt about me based on the queer's perception of me. She gave me books on how to "channel my nervous energy". lol

Anyway, she waited until the NEXT DAY to actually tell me that two of our best lifters were leaving and coach has been depressed about that. I told her that unlike the rest of them, I was not the kind of person you needed to beat around the bush with to get a point across...just give it to me like it is. I am a big girl. I can handle it. But apparently the queer claims to have been "hinting" at the fact that I needed to channel my focus better. Well I don't get hints sunshine. You got something to say, don't yap behind my back like a bitch. Say it to my face. So apparently this entire ordeal had nothing to do with the coach at all and coach was only having a rough few weeks. Being the passive guy that he is, he did not convey his feelings well and so I was forced to jump to my own conclusions. He was very sad to hear I wanted to leave and asked the lifter girl for reassurence that I was not quitting on him too. I went in to see him today and I promise you...coach was the kindest and most attentive he has EVER been with me. I had a fantastic workout too, despite being fully depleted and wednesday being my worst day. I had the best day I have had in months. Coach is awesome when he has his shit together man...and when queers stay out of my business.

And that is exactly what the deal was. Drama. I guess it takes getting dragged into the drama to REALLY feel like you made the team eh? LOL
This is so funny. The only reason I found this was I did a Google serch on the gym and found this . Oh well at least you sound like you got ur problem resolved. Fags....Gotta love'em...Drama queens.LOL

Sistersteel
05-28-2009, 03:01 AM
This is so funny. The only reason I found this was I did a Google serch on the gym and found this . Oh well at least you sound like you got ur problem resolved. Fags....Gotta love'em...Drama queens.LOL

LMAO! I had the word "fag" used repetitively before I posted this response. Then I decided to swap it out for "queer" in an attempt to sound more ethical. There is only so much restraint that can be exercised when queers and strippers decide to lecture you on how to "channel your nervous energy" over a post workout bong.

Sunshine...PULEAZ.

Sistersteel
05-28-2009, 03:10 AM
Isn't he getting mad at you because you aren't giving 100 percent? If you are dieting doesn't that affect performance for the worse?

I am giving him 110 percent actually. Its just unfortunate that my 110 percent is better on some days than on others. Until I find a sugar daddy or coach decides to pay my bills, that is the best I can do. In the end, I have to make a living.

Skeptic
05-28-2009, 08:07 AM
I'm glad to see things are working out. I do have to admit that I'm mortified that someone's sexual preference is seen as relevant to the story.

robert da strongman
05-28-2009, 10:48 AM
good to know you have it sorted out

Sistersteel
05-28-2009, 02:13 PM
I'm glad to see things are working out. I do have to admit that I'm mortified that someone's sexual preference is seen as relevant to the story.

You are actually right. It is not relevant at all. However, despite my efforts at remaining objective and non judgmental while expressing my opinion, I am still human and have trouble containing my resentments when my feelings are hurt. I am very accepting of others and respect people's choices and inclinations despite the fact that that acceptance is almost never reciprocated. That has made me bitter in some ways and I can admit to that defect in my character.

The context in which the lifter's sexual orientation was made relevant to this story lies in the fact that I do not like two faced back stabbing rats.
I love gay men. I have more gay friends than straight friends. I do not like anyone, gay, straight or other, to gossip about me behind my back..especially when I have been nothing but kind to those people. This lifter in question is actually a very good friend of mine. He has helped me tremendously during the time I had been training and I have made huge improvements since he has been working with me. I trusted him implicitly to the point where I even approached him many times about my situation with my coach, in the hopes he could offer insight on the matter. I picked him up every single day because he did not have a ride and saved him an hour walk to the gym so that he could train. I was the only one to offer to drive him 4 hours each way to Savannah so he could compete at a meet down there after he missed his totals for the PanAms.

Granted I do not want to get into all these details, but your post makes me feel obligated to explain myself because it is out of character for me to belittle or insult anyone. I simply expected more of him than to run around behind my back saying hurtful malicious things, rather than bring whatever problem he might have with me to my attention. I do not mind being criticized at all. I am humble enough to where I can take direction from others who are more experienced that myself. But instead, all the gossip ended up reflecting very negatively on my training and has set me back a huge deal because of my misguided frustration.

So, yes, I am only human, and I do have a tendency to resort to hurting someone intentionally by using their weaknesses against them, ONLY if I feel threatened or disrespected. I am not Jesus. I am not forgiving all the time. I certainly will not turn the other cheek if you slap me in the face. I am more likely to break your neck instead and repent later. I simply expect more from my friends and do not take kindly to someone betraying my trust in them.

So I apologize for allowing my anger to cloud my judgment which resulted in the unnecessary verbal lash out.

SS

dublin-lifter
05-28-2009, 04:33 PM
You are actually right. It is not relevant at all. However, despite my efforts at remaining objective and non judgmental while expressing my opinion, I am still human and have trouble containing my resentments when my feelings are hurt. I am very accepting of others and respect people's choices and inclinations despite the fact that that acceptance is almost never reciprocated. That has made me bitter in some ways and I can admit to that defect in my character.

The context in which the lifter's sexual orientation was made relevant to this story lies in the fact that I do not like two faced back stabbing rats.
I love gay men. I have more gay friends than straight friends. I do not like anyone, gay, straight or other, to gossip about me behind my back..especially when I have been nothing but kind to those people. This lifter in question is actually a very good friend of mine. He has helped me tremendously during the time I had been training and I have made huge improvements since he has been working with me. I trusted him implicitly to the point where I even approached him many times about my situation with my coach, in the hopes he could offer insight on the matter. I picked him up every single day because he did not have a ride and saved him an hour walk to the gym so that he could train. I was the only one to offer to drive him 4 hours each way to Savannah so he could compete at a meet down there after he missed his totals for the PanAms.

Granted I do not want to get into all these details, but your post makes me feel obligated to explain myself because it is out of character for me to belittle or insult anyone. I simply expected more of him than to run around behind my back saying hurtful malicious things, rather than bring whatever problem he might have with me to my attention. I do not mind being criticized at all. I am humble enough to where I can take direction from others who are more experienced that myself. But instead, all the gossip ended up reflecting very negatively on my training and has set me back a huge deal because of my misguided frustration.

So, yes, I am only human, and I do have a tendency to resort to hurting someone intentionally by using their weaknesses against them, ONLY if I feel threatened or disrespected. I am not Jesus. I am not forgiving all the time. I certainly will not turn the other cheek if you slap me in the face. I am more likely to break your neck instead and repent later. I simply expect more from my friends and do not take kindly to someone betraying my trust in them.

So I apologize for allowing my anger to cloud my judgment which resulted in the unnecessary verbal lash out.

SS

i have to say i dont think theres anything wrong with what you said ( not sayin its ok to slag gay people) but we all do stuff like that some body does sumthin to piss you off and straight away you go for the easy low blow we all do it and will continue to do it were only human

i have to say do i love this line "I certainly will not turn the other cheek if you slap me in the face. I am more likely to break your neck instead and repent later." lol

Skeptic
05-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Two faced back stabbing rats must die! SS you are a gem!

Sistersteel
05-28-2009, 11:29 PM
i have to say i dont think theres anything wrong with what you said ( not sayin its ok to slag gay people) but we all do stuff like that some body does sumthin to piss you off and straight away you go for the easy low blow we all do it and will continue to do it were only human

i have to say do i love this line "I certainly will not turn the other cheek if you slap me in the face. I am more likely to break your neck instead and repent later." lol

True. I admit that sometimes our emotions get the best of us as human beings and I am no different than everyone else. No body likes to feel vulnerable and no one likes to feel betrayed.

Two faced back stabbing rats must die! SS you are a gem!

:kiss:

Gaoshang Xiongshou
05-28-2009, 11:50 PM
What a great story. :D It is a shame you had to endure that in the first place though. But at least it is all straightened out!

dublin-lifter
05-29-2009, 07:32 AM
True. I admit that sometimes our emotions get the best of us as human beings and I am no different than everyone else. No body likes to feel vulnerable and no one likes to feel betrayed.

yea thats very true only so much bs anyone can put up with ( even Jesus lost the rag in the temple before lol)
anyway good to hear everything is working out for you anyway you will have to keep us posted on how you do in your next competition:beerbang:

Sistersteel
05-29-2009, 08:27 AM
yea thats very true only so much bs anyone can put up with ( even Jesus lost the rag in the temple before lol)
anyway good to hear everything is working out for you anyway you will have to keep us posted on how you do in your next competition:beerbang:

Yes, Yes he did snap indeed. haha! :)

We are off to Chicago on Wednesday for Nationals. I am not competing but will take lots of pictures and footage. Its the Georgia Games next for me :)

dublin-lifter
05-29-2009, 10:34 AM

We are off to Chicago on Wednesday for Nationals. I am not competing but will take lots of pictures and footage. Its the Georgia Games next for me :)

ah good stuff well i wish whoever is lifting in Chicago the best of luck

when are the Georgia games on

crashcrew56
05-29-2009, 11:21 AM

Where at in the Chi are you going to be at?

Sistersteel
05-29-2009, 12:26 PM
The Georgia Games are in July :)

The 2009 Pan American and National Weightlifting Championships will be held at :

UIC Forum at the University of Illinois at Chicago
725 W. Roosevelt Rd.
Chicago, IL 60608

http://www.worldsportchicago.org/weightlifting-championships.aspx

dublin-lifter
05-29-2009, 09:52 PM
The Georgia Games are in July :)

The 2009 Pan American and National Weightlifting Championships will be held at :

UIC Forum at the University of Illinois at Chicago
725 W. Roosevelt Rd.
Chicago, IL 60608

http://www.worldsportchicago.org/weightlifting-championships.aspx

cool ill make sure to keep an eye out for them you just make sure ya show them who is boss :cool::cool::cool:

would they be on a webcast on the net or anything

Sistersteel
05-30-2009, 04:16 AM
cool ill make sure to keep an eye out for them you just make sure ya show them who is boss :cool::cool::cool:

would they be on a webcast on the net or anything

That's a good question. I will ask one of the lifters tomorrow :)

dublin-lifter
05-30-2009, 07:11 AM
That's a good question. I will ask one of the lifters tomorrow :)

cool let us know either way

Sistersteel
06-02-2009, 11:18 PM
LIVE WEBCAST of the 2009 National Championships/2009 Pan Am Championships

Live web streaming for the 2009 National Championships/2009 Pan Am Championships will take place on Saturday, June 6, 2009. The link to this one-day only broadcast is: http://weightlifting.teamusa.org/multimedia/live_video.

Once the editing of this event is complete, the 2009 Pan Am Championships/National Championships will be rebroadcast for all interested viewers. Stay tuned!

:)