PDA

View Full Version : Wild Seafood vs Farmed Seafood

crashcrew56
05-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Is there a difference between the nutritional value in farmed seafood vs wild?

Peaceful28
05-25-2009, 05:12 PM
I found these interesting facts on both.....

Some argue farm-raised seafood is the answer from both a conservation standpoint and meeting consumer needs. I’d like to have believed the same wild-product could have been generated through farm-production, but report after report discourages that notion. Yet again, farm-raised does not offer an acceptable alternative as farm-raised seafood has HIGHER toxin levels than wild-caught. Additionally, farm-raised seafood isn’t fed a wild diet, instead, receiving palletized products “rich” in chemical nutrients which don’t metabolize well in humans. Grain-fed (corn and soy) farm-raised fish, don’t have the same healthy Omega6:Omega3 essential fatty acids as their wild-caught cousins, another nutritional disaster for creatures and humans alike.

Wild-caught seafood is not without its problems. Pollution runs rampant throughout our world, including our oceans. Toxins accumulate in the fat of seafood. Choices have to be made, and the struggle for us is deciding to not focus on finding toxin-free seafood, but rather, find seafood fished from waters known to contain less toxins. For some people, that means eating only small fish – anchovies and sardines, for example – that reproduce rapidly, are plentiful in supply, and have spent less time in the oceans being exposed to toxins.

There is no easy answer other than to have a varied diet, not consuming a steady diet of any one food, but rather, giving thanks for the blessings of having an occasional meal from the Real Thing – wild-caught seafood when available, preferably, from a local fishing source. In some land-locked central U.S. locations, “local” may mean seafood shipped in from one of the coastal fishing areas caught by U.S. fishermen. Cod liver oil and fish oil presents an option for obtaining very necessary Omega 6 and Omega 3 essential fatty acids in the correct balance, but again, the challenge is to find products that are produced from wild-caught vs. farm-raised fish. For those with Autism, winter doses of cod liver oil (provides necessary Vitamin D) and summer doses of fish oil (Vitamin D should be obtained during that time from the sun – it’s manufactured through our skin), is considered to be necessary for proper brain and nervous-system function support.

Peaceful28
05-25-2009, 05:14 PM

crashcrew56
05-26-2009, 02:36 AM
thank you for helping me out on this Peaceful

G-Roy
05-26-2009, 12:16 PM
great info, I have always opted for wild caught when I can find it, but you raise some good points that it has its flaws as well.