PDA

View Full Version : Beef Jerky Anyone?

musclegoddess65
02-14-2009, 09:19 PM
the first time I saw this on the Alton Brown food network program, I thought what the hell? But I have to say it is the BEST beef jerky I've ever tasted... yea the method is a bit strange but it turns out so moist and tender you won't be able to keep your hands out of the zip lock baggie you store it in.. and damn if it will last 2 days let alone two months

1 1/2 to 2 pounds flank steak
2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Special Equipment: 1 box fan, 4 paper air-conditioning filters, and 2 bungee cords

Trim the flank steak of any excess fat, place in a zip-top bag, and place it in the freezer for 1 to 2 hours in order to firm up.

Remove the steak from the freezer and thinly slice the meat with the grain, into long strips.

Place the strips of meat along with all of the remaining ingredients into a large, 1-gallon plastic zip-top bag and move around to evenly distribute all of the ingredients. Place the bag into the refrigerator for 3 to 6 hours.

Remove the meat from the brine and pat dry. Evenly distribute the strips of meat onto 3 of the air filters, laying them in the grooves and then stacking the filters on top of one another. Top these with 1 empty filter. Next, lay the box fan on its side and lay the filters on top of it. Strap the filters to the fan with 2 bungee cords. Stand the fan upright, plug in and set to medium. Allow the meat dry for 8 to 12 hours. If using a commercial dehydrator, follow the manufacturer's directions.

Once dry, store in a cool dry place, in an airtight container for 2 to 3 months.

Courtesy of Food Network/Alton Brown

Peaceful28
02-14-2009, 09:38 PM
I love Alton Brown!!!!

MichaelWayne
02-14-2009, 09:50 PM
Using a box fan, that rocks. Good ol' Alton and his crazy ideas. I can only imagine how good the house would instantly smell!

musclegoddess65
02-14-2009, 09:52 PM
Yea Alton does do some crazy stuff, but everything I've tried is awesome

and if you like beef jerky, it makes the house smell heavenly!

Mouse
02-14-2009, 11:33 PM
That's awesome. Alton is awesome and I've done a bunch of his recipes. I saw that one and have wanted to try it except I don't feel like going out and buying a box fan. I've done similar recipes though in an oven set at 100 degrees.

musclegoddess65
02-14-2009, 11:50 PM
as hot and sticky as it can get in Jersey and you don't own a fan????

gotta admit Alton Rocks... and you get some knowledge behind the what and why's along the way.

Mouse
02-15-2009, 12:07 AM
as hot and sticky as it can get in Jersey and you don't own a fan????

gotta admit Alton Rocks... and you get some knowledge behind the what and why's along the way.

:)

http://www.centralairconditioning.us/central-air-636.jpg

Chefbone
02-17-2009, 09:36 PM
If you have a high speed (top of the line) convection oven that has really low heat options...then you can make it on your oven racks (with a drip tray of course).

Alton Brown has a lot of knowledge......too bad the rest of The Food Network is full of hacks and Shoemakers.

Chef

musclegoddess65
02-18-2009, 07:45 PM
:)

http://www.centralairconditioning.us/central-air-636.jpg

not much of an AC gal... my ex use to keep it so cold in the house we could have hung meat in our living room.... i do like it for the suck out the humidity option.