PDA

View Full Version : Getting the "water" out of your calves?

sassy69
05-27-2009, 07:36 PM
Calves always seem to be a favorite place for water to hang out and obscure detail. I'm actually not even sure if its fat + water or just water. Is there a way to help get rid of this as you come into your final weeks of show prep? I know people who have worked their butts off building calves, and I've got genetically big calves that are a beeyotch to cut up due to "water".

Is it related to specifically exercising slow-twitch muscles or something unique about calves?

Sprints? Jump rope? Diet? Any suggestions?

Frosty
05-27-2009, 08:12 PM
I don't know but my recent research had me come across some interesting tidbits of information as it could relate to the pre-contest bodybuilder. These are things I've never seen mentioned.

1. Low magnesium levels reduce potassium levels independent of potassium intake. Having proper magnesium status will help with water balance.

2. Lack of sleep causes sodium loss, which could then cause an issue of retaining more water.

So perhaps good magnesium intake and proper sleep can help assist in good water balance. And who knows...the gastroc skinfold is associated with GH, and better sleep increases GH levels as well which might help keep that area leaner.