PDA

View Full Version : Matt Kroc Interview!!!

BrianNassar
02-14-2009, 10:09 PM
This powerlifter is a TOTal FREAK!!! Awesome POWER!!

Brian,

Here you go buddy. Sorry this took me so long, I have just been stupid busy. Let me know if you need any pictures or anything like that. I have some good ones saved to my computer. Take care and let me know if you ever want to come out and train with us.

Matt

HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN COMPETING AND HOW DID YOU GET STARTED?

I just always had this desire to be big and strong. I remember at a very early age being impressed with size and strength and having a strong hunger to get that way myself. I had terrible genetics for gaining muscle and I was more of a natural runner. I ran an 18 minute 5k while in the Marines with the first mile of that being under five minutes. I had some natural athletic ability but was very skinny. The biggest advantage I had was a relentless desire to achieve my goals. I started training myself for track and field day in elementary school in third grade. I just decided one day that I wanted to be a winner and I knew I needed to work hard to achieve that. I ran timed half miles, sprints up sand hills and did pushups and chin ups and lifted makeshift weights for months leading up to track and field day. I did this all on my own with no coaching or support from anyone. My mom was actually concerned that I was going to hurt myself. I just wanted to win badly. That is what has always driven me and still drives me to this day. I love competition and thrive on it.

I started lifting consistently at age nine but I remember messing around with weights as young as age 6. I remember sneaking into the room where my dad had some weights and doing curls 10 reps with one arm and then 10 reps with the other until I had done 100 reps with both arms around age six. My first set of weights was milk jugs filled with sand and my first bench was a 2"x12" laid across two cinder blocks. A year or two later my dad made me some lead dumbbell plates from the lead he melted down from old car batteries. Finally when I was in fifth grade (age 11) I received a barbell set and bench for Christmas. Even though I trained hard and consistently over the next several years when freshman football came around I weighed a monstrous 118lbs! I told you my genetics were better suited for running. I did two high school powerlifting meets and got my butt kicked at both of them, I didn't even place. I did two more while in the Marines and then I started competing seriously when I got out of the Marines in December '95. I have averaged about three powerlifting competitions a year since then, including one bodybuilding show in '96 and a strongman competition in '99.

PLEASE TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT YOUR FAMILY, AND WHAT YOU DO FOR A LIVING.

I sell drugs for a living! lol! I am a pharmacist and I usually work the night shift at a 24 hour pharmacy. Unfortunately I work way too many hours and this greatly affects my sleep but I never use it as an excuse to miss training. Right now I am in the middle of working thirteen out of fourteen twelve hour days and that is not uncommon. Still at least my job is not physical so it doesn’t affect my recovery ability beyond the sleep aspect. My brother is an ironworker and has a very physically demanding job and has made great progress over the last several years and is on the verge of pulling an 800lb deadlift. I hate to hear people make excuses about work and why they can’t achieve their goals because of it. Simply put there are no real excuses only self imposed ones. All champions have overcome adversity to reach the top of their sport.

In regard to my family I am not proud to say I am divorced after ten years of marriage and I never wanted that or thought that it would happen to me. Still I have come to realize it was the best thing for everyone involved. I learned a lot from that experience and now I am happy to say I am dating an amazing girl that I believe is everything I have been looking for and I look forward to building our future together. I have three wonderful boys Logan age 9, Garrett age 7 and Maxx just turned 6. I love them more than anything in this world and one of my biggest goals in life is when they reach adulthood and are parents themselves and understand what it means to be a dad I want them to believe that they had the best dad in the world. Everyone thinks their dad is the best when they’re little but it isn’t until you’re in that position yourself that you truly understand what it means to be a great father.

I will be happy if they get into lifting and follow in my footsteps but more than that I just want them to happy well adjusted adults when they grow up. I learned growing up that trying to push anyone into something is counter productive. I have two younger brothers that next to my kids are closer to me than anyone in this world and I tried hard to make them like me but all I did was drive them away from it. When I was eighteen I took my youngest brother Chris (who was tweleve at the time) out running with me and ran him until he cried. It was about a three mile run and I wouldn’t let him walk. I yelled and screamed at him when he slowed down until he finally burst into tears. I thought I was helping him by toughening him up but really all I did was drive him away from athletics and make him feel weak. The problem was that I demanded a lot from myself and expected the same from others, especially from my brothers. I had a real problem seeing weakness in them and I was determined to help them drive it out of themselves. The problem was that they weren’t willing participants. I distinctly remember yelling encouragement (or so I thought at the time) to my other brother Kurt who is eighteen months younger than me during a half mile race in grade school. He was in third place and nearing the finish but a guy was closing in on him. I ran along side him and yelled at him to push hard to the end. He looked at me defiantly and started walking. Kurt is now also competing in powerlifting and has a phenomenal deadlift. We have almost come to blows more than once because of my pushing him excessively. He would see my displeasure in him or hear it in my words when I thought he was wussing out mentally and it made him furious. There has been more than once that the dukes have almost flown because of this. Undoubtedly he will be angry when he reads this just because he thinks I’m implying that he has any weakness within him.

I have learned to rein this in (well at least I try hard to) and to keep it internal and when and where it is helpful or harmful to encourage or insult training partners to help them improve. Very fortunately I learned this before I had my own sons and I am very cautious about this with them. They come out in my garage and mess around with my training equipment from time to time but I have never put any pressure on them what so ever. If they show an interest later on I will be full of encouragement but I am very careful never to force them into something. Having helped with youth wrestling and other sports this is unfortunately something I see all too often in many parents.

WHAT KEEPS YOU MOTIVATED TO CONTINUE LIFTING AND COMPETING?

The desire to achieve more, the desire to do something that no one else has ever done and the enjoyment I get from competing. I absolutely love to compete and thrive in those types of situations. My training partners provide me with challenges when I need them and I test myself frequently to push my limits. For anyone that has watched some of my youtube videos that is what my 40 rep drop set of squats was all about. Just putting myself in pain and challenging myself to persevere when it is difficult to do so. I plan crazy things from time to time to keep myself mentally tough. This includes things like very difficult training sessions that lead to vomiting and other methods of self imposed pain to strengthen the mind. Probably the craziest thing I have done (and I don’t recommend this) was to take a 3-4” long nail and drive it all the way into my arm with just my hands just to make myself withstand the pain. I dislike pain as much as anyone else but I have learned to be able to control it in most situations.

WHAT IS COMING UP IN YOUR FUTURE?

My main goal is to post the highest total ever in at least one weight class. Currently I am second all time in the 220s with 2414lbs and third in the 242s with 2463lbs. I really want to move into first in the 220s by totaling over 2500lbs but I am outgrowing that class and I feel it is holding my progress back by trying to remain there. I typically weigh around 250lbs with single digit body fat and I don’t think I can carry any more muscle and still make 220. I would give you numbers but those are constantly evolving all the time and I could give you what my goals are currently but they are likely going to be much loftier in the near future as my competitors continue to raise the bar.

I am interested in not only owning the highest totals ever but also putting up good numbers raw and in single ply competitions. I want to do well under all of the different standards of lifting but it is stiff competition that I enjoy most and currently a majority of the best lifters compete in the feds that have less restrictive gear rules.

WHAT IS A TYPICAL DIET AND SUPPLEMENT REGIMINE FOR YOU?

This is a typical day when I’m not working. Working days are similar just the times are different.
Breakfast 7am Almost always 2 cups whole oats measured dry, with two scoops of whey protein and 1 cup of skim milk but occasionally 5-6 pancakes made with vanilla whey protein and I like to add all natural peanut butter here and 1 quart of skim milk.
Snack 9-10am Protein shake mixed with a quart of skim milk. Approximately 6-700 calories and 70+ grams of protein.
Lunch-12-1pm 1lb of ground sirloin burgers, 1 cup fat free cottage cheese, and 1 quart of skim milk or 1 dozen eggs (whole) with onions, peppers and some kind of meat minced up.
Snack 4-5pm protein shake or 2 cups of fat free cottage cheese and one piece of fruit.
Immediately Post Training whey based protein shake mixed with waxy maize and 1 quart of skim milk.
1-2 hours after training 1lb of round steak or chicken breast with 2 red baked potatoes and 1 quart of skim milk.

COULD YOU SHARE HOW YOU TORE YOUR BICEPS AND ANY OTHER INJURIES, OPERATIONS, ETC.?

I have had lots of injuries in recent years including two torn distal bicep tendons that both required surgery (right in 8-'04 and left in 5-'05). I was on crutches three weeks out from the '06 Arnold (my first win) with a severely swollen illio-tibial band that to this day no one knows how I injured. I had partial tears in both triceps a couple of weeks out from the ‘07 Arnold Classic and dislocated my left shoulder the week prior to the meet while trying a new bench shirt. I have torn up my lower back pretty bad several times and I have torn ligaments in both wrists that often bother me whenever I do a lot of heavy shirted benching. I also separated my acromio-clavicular joint while pulling a hard dead at the '05 WPO semi finals. I tore my left lat at my last competition on my second deadlift with 788lbs. I really wanted to get my first 800+ dead that day and I know I had it in me but the smart thing to do was to stop there to prevent worsening the injury. My most recent injury is the torn right quad injury I sustained about six weeks ago. When it happened I thought I had torn my quad completely in two but fortunately it wasn’t quite that severe. I am rehabbing it now and I’m very confident that I will return to full strength and then some before long. When you push yourself to your limits injuries are going to happen and they are just part of this sport and learning how to overcome them is often what separates the champions from the rest. I was also diagnosed with testicular cancer in February of ’04 and that required surgery and radiation therapy but fortunately I am 100% cancer free today.

SOME READERS HAVE ALREADY MENTIONED THAT YOU HAVE SQUATTED OVER 900 WITHOUT KNEE WRAPS. DO YOU PREFER SQUATTING WITHOUT KNEE WRAPS?

Actually I have squatted 1008lbs without knee wraps. I don’t wear knee wraps because I don’t have to.

WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR PR'S IN THE GYM AND COMPETITION?

My competition PRs are:
At 242lbs =Squat 1008, Bench 666, Deadlift 788 Total=2463
At 220lbs =Squat 970, Bench 661, Deadlift 783 Total=2414
Some gym PRs:
In the three powerlifts my best numbers are always in competition.
Dumbell bench 170lb dumbbells x 8 reps.
Skull crushers 200x15.
Seated dumbbell curls 100x5.
Barbell shrugs 825x10.
Dumbbell rows 225x25.
Deadlifts 605x9 and 655x5 raw and no straps. I plan to try pulling 700lbs raw for reps here shortly.

WHO ARE YOUR MAIN SPONSORS?

Elite Fitness Systems www.elitefts.com (http://www.elitefts.com/) is my main sponsor and they have taken really good care of me. Dave Tate is a great guy and I can’t say enough about what he has done and continues to do for me. Jim Wendler is his right hand man and has been great as well. I have a lot of respect and admiration for both of these guys and appreciate everything they have done for me.

Alan at APT Prowrist Straps www.prowriststraps.com (http://www.prowriststraps.com/) is actually an old buddy of mine from the Marine Corps and has been great with helping me out as well.

DID YOU EVER THINK THAT YOU WOULD BE FEATURED IN A FULL PAGE ADD?

I always knew I would achieve my goals but I never really thought about the ads in magazines or things like that. My goals are what drive me not money or notoriety.

WHICH LIFT IS YOUR FAVORITE?

The deadlift because I feel it is the truest test of a man’s overall strength and gear affects it the least out of the three powerlifts.

DO YOU FOLLOW ANY TRAINING SYSTEM? WHAT WOULD A TYPICAL OFF SEASON WEEK LOOK LIKE FOR YOU?

There is no off season or on season for me with training. It is all in season training. If you're not training to get stronger than why train? I never take more than a day or two off training and this includes before and after competitions. The only difference before a meet is that I take more heavy singles in the squat, bench and deadlift in full gear to see where my strength is at prior to the meet and to work on any technical flaws. I try to hit at least my planned opener two weeks out in the bench and squat and three weeks out in the dead. The week prior to the meet is a down week for recovery where I still train the same exercises but with moderate weights and intensity instead of going all out.

Typical Weekly Routine
Tuesday-Deadlifts
Deadlifts usually working up to singles wearing only a belt or occasionally I will go for rep PRs.
Back raises or a different exercise that targets the hamstrings and erectors.
Calf raises usually done on the leg press or done old school donkey style like Arnold used to do them. (My training partners favorite exercise.)
Abs-usually Roman Chairs with a 45lb plate held on the forehead or with a high cable held behind the head and bending over forward.
Wednesday-Upper body assistance
Dumbbell rows-heavy weights and high reps. These are one of my favorites for strengthening the upper back and grip.
Barbell shrugs-heavy for 10-20 reps.
Rotator cuff exercise
Triceps-heavy skull crushers or pushdowns usually.
Biceps-heavy barbell or dumbbell curls
Friday-Squats
Squats-I do these in two styles narrow stance with no supportive gear going down until I bottom out with my hams hitting my calves to work my quads which helps the start of my deadlift and wide (competition stance) wearing a squat suit and briefs. In the narrow stance I usually train for at least sets of 10. In my wide competition stance I am much stronger.
Pull throughs or other hamstring and erector exercise.
Calves-same as Tuesday
Abs-same as Tuesday
Sunday-Bench
Bench either raw working up to heavy singles or doubles, dumbbell bench for sets of 10 reps or shirt work going up to singles.
Upper back work-usually chins weighted or bodyweight for max reps.
Shoulder work-usually some type of lateral with dumbbells or plates.
Triceps-same as Wednesday
Biceps-same as Wednesday

WHERE ARE YOU CURRENTLY TRAINING AT?

I train in my garage with a consistent group of about six other guys. Sometimes we have as many as twelve guys there for big bench or squat days and sometimes I even train alone but normally there are a handful of us and for the most part we all compete and we have some very strong and motivated guys there.

The garage is not heated and the coldest day this winter was -8 degrees and in the garage it wasn’t much warmer. My training partners sometimes complain about it and maybe I will heat it someday.

WHAT IS IT LIKE TO COMPETE ON THE BIG STAGE AT A WPO EVENT?

The Arnold Classic was the best event in powerlifting and I am truly saddened to see the WPO no longer be part of it. It was the one place that brought the majority of the best lifters together in one place in a first class venue with huge crowds. I loved competing there and I hope that something similar to this will materialize again for the sport.

WHAT DO ENJOY MOST ABOUT THE SPORT?

I love powerlifting as I feel it is the truest test of strength that there is. I have never met a greater group of guys and the camaraderie and admiration amongst competitors is unparalleled in any sport I have seen.

WHAT CHANGES WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE?

I would like to see more unification and less fighting between the feds and I think there have been some positive changes recently. The demise of the WPO taught the people in power in this sport a few lessons and I think an organization will soon replace what they had to offer but in a better way.

The internet is a great tool and yet the biggest bane of the sport. The forums are places where key board tough guys rip apart the greatest lifters in the sport without having any idea what it is like to be on the other side of their comments. I try to avoid reading them but once in a while a training partner will point out certain threads to me when he thinks I will benefit from reading it.