PDA

View Full Version : Reverse grip bench question

Blue and Gold
05-28-2009, 05:34 PM
I have recently gone back to doing this exercise for the first time since highschool believe it or not and since I no longer train with anyone, I'm having a hell of a time unracking the bar without destroying my wrists. Is there something I'm missing that somebody out here might be able to fill me in on? Much gratitude in advance.

Mouse
05-28-2009, 05:46 PM
I haven't done in years as well but I've always found it's a tough one to do solo for the reason you mention. Perhaps try them on the Smith machine. It's much safer if you're not using a spotter since the reverse grip is much more prone to slipping from your hands.

DR.BB
05-28-2009, 06:29 PM
I recently started doing reverse grips again as I like it for tris. It tends to hit my delts too much on heavier weight, so I keep it light for reps on chest/tri days as an occassional finishing exercise. They were popular in the 90s, I think, with powerlifters. If your goal is BB, than it is probably best to go easy with this exercise (especially if you don't have someone to spot) as it is hardly the best.

chasebny
05-28-2009, 10:58 PM
I find them to be superior on the smith machine for me. But i also only go reverse for tris.

Rattbones
05-29-2009, 02:35 AM
Rev grip bench is a good way to get hurt, why are you doing it?

carpediem
05-29-2009, 03:49 AM

Cause it's an awesome tricep exercise? Just do it in the smith

Blue and Gold
05-29-2009, 01:08 PM
I have a few reasons why I like doing them, first like others have said it is a great tricep movement, second it's much easier on my shoulders than dips and third, which won;t apply to many people here, as a university football player I find that reverse grip is a better movement for replicating blocking form, than regular bb bench.

Thnks for the advice, I will give it a go on the smith machine, or failing that just keep the usless gym staff busy, by making them unracking my weights, instead of using facebook.:D

Hardly Krishna
05-29-2009, 08:22 PM
It completely takes your chest out of the movement.....and its a very safe and effective movement.

Who in the world told you its a good way to get hurt?

Rattbones
05-29-2009, 11:06 PM
It completely takes your chest out of the movement.....and its a very safe and effective movement.

Who in the world told you its a good way to get hurt?

I've been around long enough to know what I see, I don't need anyone to tell me shit. The first time you see someone drop a bar on themselves you never forget it. I have seen 2 people drop bars on themselves one from a rev grip and one form a false grip (thumbs under). Also, rev grip bench like close grip and declines put undue stress on the shoulder joint. If you have a shallow shoulder join you will find this out in a few years. Just so you don't think I'm spouting ignorant trash here are some like with more info

http://www.criticalbench.com/reverse-grip-bench-press.htm
http://www.prowriststraps.com/reverse_grip_bench_press

Just be safe, if your going to do them listen to your body. The suggestion of doing them in a smith is very good.

MichaelWayne
05-29-2009, 11:40 PM
Another for SmithMachine or going lighter to target tris/pump/finishing movement. Everytime I try them it feels like my shoulders are going to pop out of place, but if you can do them, more power to ya!

Mr. Hyde
06-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Use the smith machine and do it on the day you do tris. I like to set the bench where just my upper back is one it while my lower back and ass hang off with my feet firmly planted on the floor. This is one of my main tri movements.

DAVIDHARDY
06-16-2009, 11:06 AM
I love the reverse grip press; I take a wide grip and i frys my upper chest. With the wide grip(a couple of inches outside shoulder width), I have found that it is easier to unrack the weight with minimal wrist tension.

THUNDERGOD
06-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Using the reverse grip bench in my current DC routine and love them!!!

Blue and Gold
06-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks to everyone for the advice, but I wasn't a fan of the smith machine. If it will make you feel better though I have made the green vested flunkies at my gym, unrack anything higher than 185 for me, making them earn their keep.

GottaGetLean
06-25-2009, 08:13 PM
rev grip bench is the retarded and does not benefit u at all.. and will probly fall on ur chest one of these days..:goodluck:

Blue and Gold
06-25-2009, 10:54 PM
rev grip bench is the retarded and does not benefit u at all.. and will probly fall on ur chest one of these days..:goodluck:
Plenty of schmoes drop the bar on their chest doing regular bench so I'll take my chances, thansk for the support though:wavey:

Youngguns
06-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Unnecessary. Risk>Benefit

/Thread