PDA

View Full Version : Can You Critique My Breakfast?

SadFatty
05-28-2009, 11:24 PM
These are what I've been eating for breakfasts.

One

banana
small bowl of bran flakes with skim milk
fish oils with evening primrose oils
scoop udo's oil
egg and approx 5-10 whites

or
Two
mulitgrain bread with almond butter...soon to buy ezekel bread
banana
protein shake with water or eggs
fish oils and evening primrose

I get fats, carbs and proteins in each meal. Do these look pretty good for regular weight loss?

BigJD69
05-28-2009, 11:27 PM
Meal one without bran flakes

SadFatty
05-29-2009, 12:11 AM
Should I replace the barn flakes with anything?

Tre
05-29-2009, 12:39 AM
Don't be afraid to use oatmeal instead of the processed cereal.

If weight loss is your primary goal, however, then what you're really striving for is to take in fewer calories than you burn each week.

KBigz81
05-29-2009, 01:16 AM
Seems like you're taking in alot of carbs for breakfast. You never showed the servings of cereal.
1 cup of bran cereal (Wheaties)=28 grams of carbs
medium banana=30 grams
1 cup skim milk=12 grams

Thats 70 grams of carbs for breakfast!! I would omit the banana, bran cereal, and milk and replace w/ 1/2 cup of whole non processed oats and add 1/4 c of blueberries to your oats for the antioxidants.

What is your weight/height as of right now and what is your goal weight? What kind of metabolism do you have?

SadFatty
05-29-2009, 01:40 AM
I am afraid of getting too hungry which is why I eat lots of carbs. I have about 1 cup of bran flakes or less with about 3/4 milk.

I am about 5'5 and weigh about 145. I want to get to 140 and my metabolism is pretty slow. Not really slow but just below average I think.

The Big Sexy
05-29-2009, 01:41 AM
I am afraid of getting too hungry which is why I eat lots of carbs. I have about 1 cup of bran flakes or less with about 3/4 milk.

I am about 5'5 and weigh about 145. I want to get to 140 and my metabolism is pretty slow. Not really slow but just below average I think.

Welcome to dieting....

Sistersteel
05-29-2009, 01:50 AM

Honestly, your goal can be attained by making very small changes to your current lifestyle. If you are eating more than you used to for fear of getting hungry in an attempt to lose weight, you might find it difficult to drop those 5 lb. If your diet was relatively clean to begin with, then all I would do is either add in some cardio if you were not doing any, or just do it more frequently and for longer durations if you were.

That being said, I am not too fond of cereals and dairy products on any weight loss regimen. If you are doing cardio and training daily, I do not see any harm in consuming 70g of carbs in the morning as long as you phase them out gradually throughout the course of the day.

The best approach for you would be a carb rotation. You can design the diet to fit your training and cardio schedule so that you are consuming the higher carbs on heavy training days and lower or no carbs on your off days. Really works like a charm.

SS

SadFatty
05-29-2009, 02:27 AM
Don't you find you feel sick or get head aches when you start to get hungry or crave sugar?

I am finding I cave because I seem to get "withdrawl" symptoms from lack of sugar. I asked a doctor about this and they said it was possible to ge withdrawl type symptoms from bad eating.

I can't seem to conquer this and am starting to get honestly scared that I will never be able to lose the weight. I feel sick and then when I eat more carby foods I feel better.

It bugs me to know I don't seem to have the willpower for this when everybody else here does. I have will power for everything else but this!!

Sistersteel
05-29-2009, 02:54 AM
Don't you find you feel sick or get head aches when you start to get hungry or crave sugar?

I am finding I cave because I seem to get "withdrawl" symptoms from lack of sugar. I asked a doctor about this and they said it was possible to ge withdrawl type symptoms from bad eating.

I can't seem to conquer this and am starting to get honestly scared that I will never be able to lose the weight. I feel sick and then when I eat more carby foods I feel better.

It bugs me to know I don't seem to have the willpower for this when everybody else here does. I have will power for everything else but this!!

I do not think its your willpower that is the problem SadFatty, it's your attitude. You should not be afraid of things you can control.

Its not easy to change ones eating habits and the transition can be quite frustrating, but you can't let your mind sabotage you. I think you are comfort eating and that is a problem that most women have, so you should not feel alone in your struggles. The key is to learn how to channel emotions and find outlets of expression and comfort other than food. It can be anything.

I do not allow myself to get hungry. Dieting does not necessarily mean you have to starve or deprive yourself of the things you enjoy. Setting short term goals can make the dieting process far more bearable, like rewarding yourself with a good meal after a week of consistent dieting.

If you can make it through the preliminary dieting stages, its smooth sailing from there. Why? Because the changes your body will undergo will motivate you to work harder. You will start to like the way you look and feel in your clothes and as result, your determination and enthusiasm will grow. Its a process really.

If you like sweet flavors then you can sip on crystal light all day long. They are very sweet, come in a variety of flavors, are quenching and taste great.

SS

tammyp
05-29-2009, 06:12 AM
off season i use fiber one in my cottage cheese as my last meal. holds me all night. you dont have to eliminate it, just move it to another part of your day.

why dont you post your entire diet?

Tatyana
05-29-2009, 06:17 AM

Physiologically, it is more likely that the carbs are causing those symptoms. Specifically, the type of carbs you are eating.

As it has been mentioned, the carbs you are eating are fairly processed, there are good breads, but more often than not you find sugar in the ingredients. This is also true for most breakfast cereals.

While low carb diets do not suit me, when I have tried them, I haven't been nearly as hungry as when I am eating carbs.

This is called 'hormonal hunger', related to the release of insulin.

I would suggest you try manipulating your macronutrient ratios, more protein typically does the trick for me.

Suzanne
05-29-2009, 10:30 AM
I eat complex carbs at all 7 meals and am 3 weeks out from a show
To be hungry is a food thing it means you are burning through all the food
I have been hungry between meals the entire 13 weeks of my prep but haven't had craving (and i am a total sweet tooth)

I also lost a HUGE amount of weight before i got into competing
http://fitsuzanne.com/MyTransformation.htm

I basically made sure i had a good carb good protein and low fat at every meal
My cardio during weight loss was never of 30 min except an occassional 40-45 min or a weekend hike of 3-11 miles
hit weights hard 6 days a week
never weighed food basically did Body For Life approach each serving of carbs and protein was about size of fist

stephaniewicked
05-29-2009, 10:47 AM
I don't know as much as the experts here... everyone so far has given really sound advice (no surprise there! ;))

I'm curious though... what's your diet like the rest of the day? I eat 4 egg whites, 1 whole egg and 1/4 cup oats for breakfast everyday with my coffee and that holds me over pretty good. I can't imagine eating more than that without feeling grossly full. Everyone's different though, so that's just me personally. If you're eating again approximately 3 hours later, you could make some adjustments to your current breakfast and should be okay until your next meal.

fitmomma3
05-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Don't be afraid to eat a hearty breakfast...You can have a very balanced meal of protein fat, carbs, dairy and fruit but with much cleaner options. The cleaner the food the higher the vitamins, nutrients, fiber therefore much more bang for your buck as well when trying to cut down on calories and trying to feel full.

omlette...5 whites one yolk, 1/4 cup FF cheese, green peppers, onions, tomatoes, 2 oz lean ham
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 cup strawberries

Suzanne
05-30-2009, 01:30 PM
I don't know as much as the experts here... everyone so far has given really sound advice (no surprise there! ;))

I'm curious though... what's your diet like the rest of the day? I eat 4 egg whites, 1 whole egg and 1/4 cup oats for breakfast everyday with my coffee and that holds me over pretty good. I can't imagine eating more than that without feeling grossly full. Everyone's different though, so that's just me personally. If you're eating again approximately 3 hours later, you could make some adjustments to your current breakfast and should be okay until your next meal.

i would starve to death lol

i have 1/2 c oats, scoop protein 2 egg white every AM and i am 3 weeks out and all my other 6 meals have an equivalent amount of complex carbs, protein and i am hungry all the time :D

SadFatty
05-30-2009, 02:54 PM
My breakfasts lately have been

egg and whites
fishy oil and evening primrose and udo
banana and veggie

I am trying to quit sugar and processed carbs but am having bad withdrawls. Very bad.

KBigz81
05-30-2009, 11:09 PM
I'm not sure if this would be too harsh....but when ever I start a new diet or after the holidays I do Jay Robb's Fruit flush diet to clean (detox) my body. It also helps you get rid of that "I need sugar to survive" feeling. I swear by it! Check it out at Jayrobb.com. Your energy levels will go through the roof, and you'll just feel better all over. I usually lose about 5lbs from it. It will also show you how eating natural...unprocessed foods can make you feel so much better.

Suzanne
05-31-2009, 11:50 AM
My breakfasts lately have been

egg and whites
fishy oil and evening primrose and udo
banana and veggie

I am trying to quit sugar and processed carbs but am having bad withdrawls. Very bad.

you should have complex carbs they stay with you longer
oats etc

RDFinders
05-31-2009, 12:27 PM
your breakfast can be whatever you like as long as it fits into your goals and program. my breakfast are all carbs until i am in my last phase of contest dieting. i will alternate between oatmeal w/raisins, brown rice and cinammon, brown rice and granny smith apple, oatmeal and apricots. just depends on my taste. like tammy, i used to do fiber one or all bran with yogurt instead of cottage cheese. i threw blueberries in for taste. did that for years. i have done kashi go lean with soy milk - veghead here.

just remember there is no such thing as the perfect breakfast or meal.

SadFatty
05-31-2009, 02:54 PM
There is such a thing as the perfect breakfast. It is doughnuts, egg mcmuffins with chocolate milk and count chocula. Unfortunately that doesnt' fit into my goals currently.

MsGuns
05-31-2009, 03:01 PM
There is such a thing as the perfect breakfast. It is doughnuts, egg mcmuffins with chocolate milk and count chocula. Unfortunately that doesnt' fit into my goals currently.
OMG reading that made my stomach hurt...

Suzy Brown
05-31-2009, 03:04 PM
I can't believe how much you all eat. I can hardly choke a shake down in the morning, and then a couple hours later, maybe a protein bar or an egg. Its usually 1 or 2pm til I feel like I want an actual meal.

MsGuns
05-31-2009, 03:40 PM
I can't believe how much you all eat. I can hardly choke a shake down in the morning, and then a couple hours later, maybe a protein bar or an egg. Its usually 1 or 2pm til I feel like I want an actual meal.

really? just a shake I would STARVE and the kids would have a bad morning...smile

stephaniewicked
05-31-2009, 04:52 PM
OMG reading that made my stomach hurt...

Yikes! Mine too... I wouldn't mind a donut or some cereal once in a while, but I look forward to breakfast everyday. I love my eggs and oats!! :)

Suzy Brown
05-31-2009, 06:07 PM
really? just a shake I would STARVE and the kids would have a bad morning...smile
Yup, & I wasn't joking when I said I have to choke it down... I didn't think it was odd until I saw all you ladies eat.

Angela123
05-31-2009, 09:32 PM
Yup, & I wasn't joking when I said I have to choke it down... I didn't think it was odd until I saw all you ladies eat.

Do you blend it thick and hearty with lots of ice, Pb and fruit in it? Or is it just whey and water shaken?

Suzy Brown
05-31-2009, 09:34 PM
Water & whey. Stirred not shaken.

Angela123
05-31-2009, 09:35 PM

I'm with ya. I love my sweet and sugary carbs. For me, it would be crepes with any fruit filling and whip cream or those nutella/banana crepes at IHOP are good too, along with the doughnut HA. Count Chocula is the bomb. What about that Oreo cereal? It isnt made anymore though. That was so rich and sweet. I loved it!

Angela123
05-31-2009, 09:36 PM
Water & whey. Stirred not shaken.

I see. Well we are all different. At least you eat a breakfast. Nothing wrong with getting full off of that meal.

RDFinders
06-01-2009, 07:25 PM
i cannot stop laughing on that one! i would say the perfect breakfast does include those and a strong pot of coffee!:eek:

fitmomma3
06-01-2009, 08:51 PM
This morning I had my 5 egg whites, one yolk, and...........

One and a half leftover stuff crusts with cheese... not the whole slice just the crust filled with cheese lol OMG SOOOO GOOD... I punished myself with plyos tonight ouch!

stephaniewicked
06-01-2009, 11:20 PM
i cannot stop laughing on that one! i would say the perfect breakfast does include those and a strong pot of coffee!:eek:

Coffee is a MUST!

RDFinders
06-02-2009, 10:36 AM
This morning I had my 5 egg whites, one yolk, and...........

One and a half leftover stuff crusts with cheese... not the whole slice just the crust filled with cheese lol OMG SOOOO GOOD... I punished myself with plyos tonight ouch!

i cannot stop laughing at this one. we will indulge in almost anything!

Coffee is a MUST!
without a doubt!